Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 596702 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#457083 Jun 28, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>==========
Orthodox Liturgy is closest to the Liturgy the Early Church. The Catholic Church has had many revisions which have continued through the modern age.
1. REIGN OF CONSTANTINE Secular influences on liturgy starting in the reign of CONSTANTINE in the early part of the 4TH CENTURY, Research into Roman imperial court ceremonial reveals inescapable parallels in Church liturgy.
Once the Church had joined in partnership with the state, it was necessary to integrate the bishops etc into the Imperial status system ishops and other clerics began to enjoy the privileges and ceremonies of the imperial court and of high ranking officials.. Thus, the Pope was accorded some of the ceremonial privileges of the Emperor himself, such as having people kissing his foot. The bishops became entitled to wear the dress and insignia of the highest ranking Romans..
3 The Roman Liturgy changed from what we see in Justin Martyr to that of Gregory The change is radical, especially as regards the most important element of the Mass, the Canon.
4. BY AROUND 1000 AD, THE LITURGY OF ROME WAS A MIXTURE OF THE GREGORIAN LITURGY AND TWO VERSIONS FROM BEYOND THE ALPS, THE GELASIAN (ORIGINALLY FROM ROME) AND THE ANCIENT GALLICAN.
5.During the c10th the Papacy went through a bad period and the liturgical life of the city came close to extinction, saved only by devoted efforts in some of the Cluniac monasteries newly founded there.
6 WHEN A LITURGICAL REVIVAL TOOK PLACE AT THE END OF THE CENTURY, IT SHOWED DEVELOPMENTS THAT WERE FRANCO-GERMAN IN ORIGIN. This Franco-German influence is explicable in terms of partly of the Cluniac presence, but mainly of the efforts of the Saxons, Otto I (912-973) and Otto II (955-983),‘religious men’[p 76], who tried to reform the Papacy during their interventions in Italy and supplied liturgical books from beyond the Alps.
7 BUT IN THE LONG AND GRADUAL SUPPLANTING OF THE GALLICAN RITE THE ROMAN WAS ITSELF AFFECTED BY ITS RIVAL, SO THAT WHEN AT LAST IT EMERGES AS SOLE POSSESSOR IT IS NO LONGER THE OLD PURE ROMAN RITE, BUT HAS BECOME THE GALLICANIZED ROMAN USE THAT WE NOW FOLLOW
8 PRE-TRIDENTINE MASS The term Pre-Tridentine Mass here refers to the variants of the liturgical rite of Mass in Rome before 1570, when, with his bull Quo primum, Pope Pius V made the Roman Missal, as revised[1] by him, obligatory throughout the Latin-Rite or Western Church, except for those places and congregations whose distinct rites could demonstrate an antiquity of 200 years or more.
9 TRIDENTINE COUNCIL OF TRENT (1545 1563 1570, WHEN, WITH HIS BULL QUO PRIMUM, POPE PIUS V MADE THE ROMAN MISSAL, AS REVISED[1] BY HIM, OBLIGATORY THROUGHOUT THE LATIN-RITE OR WESTERN CHURCH, EXCEPT FOR THOSE PLACES AND CONGREGATIONS WHOSE DISTINCT RITES COULD DEMONSTRATE AN ANTIQUITY OF 200 YEARS OR MORE.
10 IN THE FACE ON THE ONE HAND OF THE ATTACK ON THE MASS BY THE PROTESTANTS, LUTHER (1483-1546) AND ZWINGLI (1484-1531), AND ON THE OTHER HAND OF THE ‘CHAOTIC STATE OF LITURGICAL PRACTICE’[P 117], THE COUNCIL OF TRENT (1545-1563) DETERMINED ON REFORM OF THE MISSAL AND THE BREVIARY
11 The Latin Tridentine Mass remained the standard eucharistic liturgy in the Roman Catholic Church in the West until the Second Vatican Council. In 1963, the Council adopted, by an overwhelming majority, the Constitution On Sacred Liturgy "SacrosantumConcilium Following Vatican II, Pope Paul VI instituted a new form of the Mass : THE “NEW MASS”,
12 MASS CATHOLIC 2011 UNDERGOING FIRST CHANGES IN 40 YEARS New translation will go into effect in Sep 17, 2011
lol. Love the picture. How's Nurse Ratched? Still cooking for you I hope.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#457084 Jun 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm wondering why you pulled those verses out of 2Peter and bashed me over the head. They don't have anything to do with my earlier post.
I think its a sin to use sacred scripture like that. Don't you?
~~~

SOME WHERE I HEARD, OR SAW IT WRITTEN ...

.that the Apostle Peter

was supposed to be the first Pope

of the Roman Catholic Church,,

I POSTED HIS INSTRUCTIONS FROM WHAT HE WROTE..

AND YOU ASK ME WHY ....

NOW IF THE APOSTLE PETER IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FIRST POPE...

WHY IS IT A SIN TO REMIND YOU WHAT HE SAID?

I REALLY EXPECTED MORE SENSE FROM YOU THAN WHAT YOU HAVE POSTED..
Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#457085 Jun 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me wrong, I prefer the wine too. But I don't feel like I received a partial grace from Christ when I only have the bread. I've had some of the greatest encounters with the Holy Spirit while only having the Eucharist.
Also, I find that hard to believe that the Orthodox Mass never runs out of wine. Is their a small number of attendees where you and Herm go?
At the Cathedral of Saint Paul there is over a thousand at the Sunday Mass. Its almost impossible for the celebrant to gauge the correct volume. Any leftover has to be consumed at that Mass..
We've been receiving the chalice in every mass, weekday and Sunday for a number of years in my parish.

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#457086 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
http://www.independent.ie/iris h-news/magdalene-laundry-survi vors-to-get-up-to-100000-each- 29375430.html
Magdalene Laundry survivors to get up to €100,000 each.
Can't see why the Irish tax payers should pick up the bill,the catholic church should at least pay the largest per percentage,the offer of prayers for the victims is an empty gesture and an insult to anyone who has suffered under such a disgraceful and disgusting institution.
As they were the cause of the brutality, the Catholic hierarchy should pick up the WHOLE bill.

It's time they put their tremendous vatican-bank wealth they bilked from gullible followers and from out-right theft ... to some GOOD use.

Mafia-dons in god-garb ... with nothing holy about them whatsoever.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#457087 Jun 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
SOME WHERE I HEARD, OR SAW IT WRITTEN ...
.that the Apostle Peter
was supposed to be the first Pope
of the Roman Catholic Church,,
I POSTED HIS INSTRUCTIONS FROM WHAT HE WROTE..
AND YOU ASK ME WHY ....
NOW IF THE APOSTLE PETER IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FIRST POPE...
WHY IS IT A SIN TO REMIND YOU WHAT HE SAID?
I REALLY EXPECTED MORE SENSE FROM YOU THAN WHAT YOU HAVE POSTED..
Does Jehovah "approve" of shouting out lies ... rather than whispering them???

By the way ... when DOES Jehovah plan to give you what you deserve???

:)

#457088 Jun 28, 2013
Oxbow wrote: Is The Eucharist Really Christ's Body and Blood?

NO IT IS NOT...

NEVER WILL BE THE LITERAL BLOOD AND FLESH OF JESUS.

IT IS THE COVENANT/TESTAMENT OF HIS FLESH AND BLOOD...

1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying,

--->This cup is the new testament in my blood:,<--- this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#457089 Jun 28, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Clay.To be honest,the arly Church had 2 practices. Some Churches used one form, some used both forms.far predominant though was 2 forms.The Orthodox acknowledges and respects the Catholic manner of providing the Eucharist. The only problem they would have is with the Eucharistic Ministers.
In the Orthodox Church,the read is broken and placed in the Wine in very small pieces. The priest then gives communion by dipping a spoon in the wine and giving the person bread that is soaked in the wine from a spoon.It never runs out.
We receive the Eucharist by intinction as well sometimes. I agree with you about the Eucharistic ministers. I think it's an American phenomenon for the most part, so many of the women want to be part of the liturgy and the priests are allowing it even when it isn't necessary. I think they do it out of misguided notions of inclusivity. My concern is that it's become so common that when our very conservative priests start moving away from it (they are trying right now) the women (and some brow beaten men) will throw hissy fits.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#457090 Jun 28, 2013
If there be one god and his name be Jehovah ... WOE BE UNTO THOSE WHO MOCK HIS HOLY NAME BY BEING TRAITORS TO JUDAISM!!!

So you see, I can also holler with capital letters and I'm not even holy ... as is KayMarie.

:)
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457091 Jun 28, 2013
NO IT IS NOT...
1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying,
--->This cup is the new testament in my blood:,<--- this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
Christian seem to have a obsession with blood,a cannibalistic fetish of a cultish kind.
dan

Omaha, NE

#457092 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
http://www.independent.ie/iris h-news/magdalene-laundry-survi vors-to-get-up-to-100000-each- 29375430.html
Magdalene Laundry survivors to get up to €100,000 each.
Can't see why the Irish tax payers should pick up the bill,the catholic church should at least pay the largest per percentage,the offer of prayers for the victims is an empty gesture and an insult to anyone who has suffered under such a disgraceful and disgusting institution.
The investigative committee who looked into this matter found "significant" state collusion in the admission of thousands of women into the institutions.

That's why the taxpayers get to "pick up the bill".

Carbery, Genevieve (5 February 2013). "State had 'significant' role in Magdalene laundry referrals". The Irish Times. Retrieved 5 February 2013.

McDonald, Henry (5 February 2013). "Magdalene laundries: Ireland accepts state guilt in scandal: McAleese report finds police also bore responsibility in 'enslavement' of more than 30,000 women in institutions". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 February 2013.

"Irish PM says 'sorry' to laundries victims: Apology follows release of report blaming state for sending women and girls to work like "slaves at Magdalene Laundries". Al Jazeera. 5 February 2013. Retrieved 5 February 2013.

Harrison, Shane (5 February 2013). "Irish PM: Magdalene laundries product of harsh Ireland". BBC News. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
dan

Omaha, NE

#457093 Jun 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
As they were the cause of the brutality, the Catholic hierarchy should pick up the WHOLE bill.
It's time they put their tremendous vatican-bank wealth they bilked from gullible followers and from out-right theft ... to some GOOD use.
Mafia-dons in god-garb ... with nothing holy about them whatsoever.
The state colluded to a significant degree, thus they get the bill.

Carbery, Genevieve (5 February 2013). "State had 'significant' role in Magdalene laundry referrals". The Irish Times. Retrieved 5 February 2013.

McDonald, Henry (5 February 2013). "Magdalene laundries: Ireland accepts state guilt in scandal: McAleese report finds police also bore responsibility in 'enslavement' of more than 30,000 women in institutions". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 February 2013.

"Irish PM says 'sorry' to laundries victims: Apology follows release of report blaming state for sending women and girls to work like "slaves at Magdalene Laundries". Al Jazeera. 5 February 2013. Retrieved 5 February 2013.

Harrison, Shane (5 February 2013). "Irish PM: Magdalene laundries product of harsh Ireland". BBC News. Retrieved 5 February 2013.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#457094 Jun 28, 2013
I really want to know what name applies to that one god in the sky that all the faithful DEMAND serves only them.

I wonder ... if they shout out the wrong name, if the god turns off his receiver and says "You have to use my REAL name, as I don't pay heed to those who won't show respect for ME!"

Religion is really quite humorous ... when it's not used to harm others ... which is a very rare occasion in deed!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#457095 Jun 28, 2013
dan wrote:
<quoted text>
OJG posted it and it looked like a creed.
Wondering what church's creed it was.
Do you recognize it as such?
No

Just it looked to me like a statement of beliefs for sure.Nit a prayer like the Creed though

Would like to have the site myself.
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457096 Jun 28, 2013
NO IT IS NOT...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23068423

Maybe they could clone a jesus from the blood spatters from the Turin shroud.but I think a jesus would be deeply distressed of the realities of the total hypocrisy and sheer despotism carried out in his name.

#457097 Jun 28, 2013
NO IT IS NOT...
1Co_10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the -->communion<-- of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the -->communion<-- of the body of Christ?

COMMUNION DEFINED IN GREEK...as used above in 1 Co 10:16

G2842
&#954;&#959;&#953; &#957;&#969;&#957; &#953;&#769;&#945;
koino&#772;nia
koy-nohn-ee'-ah
From G2844; partnership, that is,(literally) participation, or (social) intercourse, or (pecuniary) benefaction:-(to) communicate (-ation), communion,(contri-), distribution, fellowship.

Warning to you ROMAN CATHOLICS

1Co_10:21 Ye cannot drink --->the cup of the Lord,<--- and

-->the cup of devils:<--

ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

CUP DEFINED IN GREEK

G4221
&#960;&#959;&#964; &#951;&#769;&#961; &#953;&#959;&#957;
pote&#772;rion
pot-ay'-ree-on
Neuter of a derivative of the alternate of G4095; a drinking vessel; by extension the contents thereof, that is, a cupful (draught); figuratively a lot or fate:- cup.

YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS SAY THAT THE CUP OF THE EUCHARIST ....CONTAINS THE LITERAL BLOOD OF JESUS...RIGHT?

QUESTION?

THEN WHAT ....DOES THE CUP OF DEVILS...LITERALLY... CONTAIN...WHAT IS IN THE DEVILS CUP?
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457098 Jun 28, 2013
dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The investigative committee who looked into this matter found "significant" state collusion in the admission of thousands of women into the institutions.
That's why the taxpayers get to "pick up the bill".
The Irish government was without doubt complicit in such horrendous crimes,but why should tax payers who had nothing to to with the depravity fork out for the crimes of the catholic church?
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457099 Jun 28, 2013
dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It is typical of the catholic sycophants to try and defend the indefensible.
Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#457100 Jun 28, 2013
<quoted text>
1Co_10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the -->communion<-- of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the -->communion<-- of the body of Christ?
COMMUNION DEFINED IN GREEK...as used above in 1 Co 10:16
G2842
&#954;&#959;&#953; &#957;&#969;&#957; &#953;&#769;&#945;
koino&#772;nia
koy-nohn-ee'-ah
From G2844; partnership, that is,(literally) participation, or (social) intercourse, or (pecuniary) benefaction:-(to) communicate (-ation), communion,(contri-), distribution, fellowship.
Warning to you ROMAN CATHOLICS
1Co_10:21 Ye cannot drink --->the cup of the Lord,<--- and
-->the cup of devils:<--
ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
CUP DEFINED IN GREEK
G4221
&#960;&#959;&#964; &#951;&#769;&#961; &#953;&#959;&#957;
pote&#772;rion
pot-ay'-ree-on
Neuter of a derivative of the alternate of G4095; a drinking vessel; by extension the contents thereof, that is, a cupful (draught); figuratively a lot or fate:- cup.
YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS SAY THAT THE CUP OF THE EUCHARIST ....CONTAINS THE LITERAL BLOOD OF JESUS...RIGHT?
QUESTION?
THEN WHAT ....DOES THE CUP OF DEVILS...LITERALLY... CONTAIN...WHAT IS IN THE DEVILS CUP?
Communion means "the act or an instance of sharing" or as above "participation". If your bread and grape juice is just bread and grape juice you're communing or "participating" with bread and grape juice. If it's Christ's body and blood (it's not in protestantism) you're communing or "participating" in Christ's body and blood. If it's just a symbol, all you're getting is a symbol, it's not the real thing.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457101 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
The Irish government was without doubt complicit in such horrendous crimes,but why should tax payers who had nothing to to with the depravity fork out for the crimes of the catholic church?
Because the "Irish government was without doubt complicit".

That's why they're paying. The government is liable, and their source of funds is tax revenue.

That's the way it goes sometimes.
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457102 Jun 28, 2013
dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that the catholic church should have exemption from paying compensation to its countless abuse victims?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min trifecta1 855,911
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 18 min Luv 290
The Christian Atheist debate 23 min The_Box 1,082
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 42 min ChristineM 444,366
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 46 min Ricky F 53,431
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 49 min Rosa_Winkel 100,770
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 52 min Porkpie Hat 272,099
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 612,656
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Henry_Joseph 177,231
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 5 hr winthanga 7,341
More from around the web