Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 699410 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#457234 Jun 28, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote: Read the Scrpiture. Jesus held up BREAD and said THIS IS MY BODY. Was Jesus declaring His body was made of bread? Or, the other side of the coin would be Jesus was lying to the disciples because He did not hold up His body, He held up a piece of bread, and declared it to be His LITERAL body? Which is it? It cannot be both.
Matthew 26:26, "Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; THIS IS MY BODY."
Mark 14:11, "And as they were eating, he took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, "Take; THIS IS MY BODY."
Luke 22:19, "And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "THIS IS MY BODY, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
I Corinthians 11:23-24, 23 "For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "THIS IS MY BODY which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
<quoted text>
It appeared you needed help locating Scripture. Here you go.
I Corinthians 11:26, "For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. 27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord."
Now, moving on. Cly, for once in your life can you answer the questions. Here they are one more time......
Jesus held up BREAD and said THIS IS MY BODY.
1. Was Jesus declaring His body was made of bread?
2. Or, the other side of the coin would be Jesus was lying to the disciples because He did not hold up His body, He held up a piece of bread, and declared it to be His LITERAL body?
Which is it? It cannot be both.
Jesus held up BREAD and said THIS IS MY BODY.

1. Was Jesus declaring His body was made of bread?

2. Or, the other side of the coin would be Jesus was lying to the disciples because He did not hold up His body, He held up a piece of bread, and declared it to be His LITERAL body?

Which is it? It cannot be both
----------

It can be "neither".

He isn't made of bread, and He didn't lie.
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457235 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't mention it as I haven't seen it anywhere but in an allegation from the "campaigner". I didn't see it in the report, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I just didn't see it.
Recall that they were running asylums for "wayward girls".
Asylums are not often mistaken for amusement parks.
If the institute that abused the women/girls/children in these laundries are unwilling to admit liability for the crimes they inflicted on the "inmates" it will be seen as to total disregard for the suffering they inflicted. The Irish government have acknowledged their part in this sordid affair,why can't the catholic church?
Could it be that they care more about their wealth than for morals,ethics and well-being of their deluded flock?
They can dress it up with any legal jargon they like,but every court case of abuse by catholic institutions reinforces the contempt people have for the church that has lost any credibility,if it ever had any to begin with. it could be a reason why so many people in Ireland are dumping the burden of catholicism. It must be difficult to continue supporting a organization that is renown for raping and abusing children.

Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#457236 Jun 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Catholic teaching of hell is what dehumanized people.
If YOU believed YOU would go to hell, your religion would be less than meaningless TO you. It would be REVOLTING!
And YOU KNOW THAT is TRUE!
June:

I think a lot of people go through hell trying to figure things out

Many setbacks along the way as well.

Catholic teaching is we are all along for the ride, being born, living, and dying. I think it would be stupid of us, to judge each other.

Revolting as a matter of fact.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#457237 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who suggested that anyone "spent they day drinking strong wine"?
I'm glad you asked.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#457238 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
We are told that we are born rotten sinners,sick and commanded to be well. Not an ideal doctrine to encourage self esteem.
Atheist Silurist:

You were told you were born a rotten sinner? Definitely not an ideal doctrine.

Rather hyperbolic, and misunderstood.

Consider you were wounded instead by sin, and asked if you want to be well.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457239 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
If the institute that abused the women/girls/children in these laundries are unwilling to admit liability for the crimes they inflicted on the "inmates" it will be seen as to total disregard for the suffering they inflicted. The Irish government have acknowledged their part in this sordid affair,why can't the catholic church?
Could it be that they care more about their wealth than for morals,ethics and well-being of their deluded flock?
They can dress it up with any legal jargon they like,but every court case of abuse by catholic institutions reinforces the contempt people have for the church that has lost any credibility,if it ever had any to begin with. it could be a reason why so many people in Ireland are dumping the burden of catholicism. It must be difficult to continue supporting a organization that is renown for raping and abusing children.
The report doesn't cite abuse on part of the Orders. If one believes that the laundries themselves were inherently "abusive", that contention isn't given any run by the government report. Again, it's the situation of the government's placement of individuals in these laundries that's at issue, not the laundries themselves. They ran for years with the knowledge and cooperation of the Irish people.

Your last throwaway line indicates that facts and details aren't really of concern to you. You just want your pound from the Church. You started today by opining that the government shouldn't even be on the hook for this.

Victims are poorly served by this type of rhetoric.
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457240 Jun 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I already endured a religious affliction for most of my life, and I don't want a repeat "performance."
:)
I was fortunate enough to be born with out a religious bone in my body. I can remember believing in Santa but never fell victim to the crap spouted by "holy men" I always had the impression the bastards were lying to me. So,no change there.
It's highly amusing when the jehovah's decide to invade my space.
When I tell them I'm an Atheist they eyes light up and I can almost see them thinking,FRESH MEAT, but their enthusiasm is short lived after a few prize four letter profanities are delivered to their oh so sensitive eardrums.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#457241 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
"GOD LAID ALL OUR SINS UPON JESUS"
The murder of a scapegoat is something to be despised not something to be be seen as a virtue.
~~~
THE SCAPE GOAT UNDER THE LAW WAS A TYPE OF

JESUS

1Pe_2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

JESUS GOD'S SON WAS THE SCAPEGOAT FOR US... ON WHOM GOD LAID ALL THE SINS OF MAN KIND....

SALVATION IS TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT HE HAS BORN OUR SINS (WHO WERE

ONLY WORTHY OF DEATH) TO CALVARY'S CROSS...THERE HE DIED AS THE SUBSTITUTE FOR US IN OUR PLACE

Heb_12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#457242 Jun 28, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that the old Latin Mass??
May be weird but I liked it..had half the words memorized ...
I like it too.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#457243 Jun 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you're right. I cringe whenever I see one of them "bless" a baby in the communion line...
Thank goodness, I've not seen that one yet. But in spite of it all, it's still the church Christ founded, the faith has remained pure even if some of the practices haven't and I'm optimistic about the future as far as they go. As an aside, I hope "Just Sayin" takes your advice and spends time before the Blessed Sacrament. I went this afternoon for a bit and was able to do something I just couldn't bring myself to do prior to that. It was all Him, Anthony, I couldn't have done it otherwise. I'm still shocked. Given my frame of mind, it was a minor miracle.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#457244 Jun 28, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't receive Jesus physically in the Eucharist once you leave the faith, so, no, it's not crazy. You do in fact leave Him, and I was wondering how anyone could possibly do that? Your description above is not what was said by Christ in John 6.
I addressed my post to Rose, is that you?
Must have missed a post to me sorry...

And if you are,asking if I left the Church yes

For a long time ..But through God's mercy and love a nd th e leading of the Holy Spirit ..I found a heartfelt belief in My Saviour ...I h e found Him and He me..
As the Shepherd who loses,a sheep..Will go to great lengths to find it and bring it back.

Thank God He is patient!!!!

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#457245 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I was fortunate enough to be born with out a religious bone in my body. I can remember believing in Santa but never fell victim to the crap spouted by "holy men" I always had the impression the bastards were lying to me. So,no change there.
It's highly amusing when the jehovah's decide to invade my space.
When I tell them I'm an Atheist they eyes light up and I can almost see them thinking,FRESH MEAT, but their enthusiasm is short lived after a few prize four letter profanities are delivered to their oh so sensitive eardrums.
~~~

YOUR PROFANITIES don't shock me...

I spent 16 years working among Roman Catholics....
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457246 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The report doesn't cite abuse on part of the Orders. If one believes that the laundries themselves were inherently "abusive", that contention isn't given any run by the government report. Again, it's the situation of the government's placement of individuals in these laundries that's at issue, not the laundries themselves. They ran for years with the knowledge and cooperation of the Irish people.
Your last throwaway line indicates that facts and details aren't really of concern to you. You just want your pound from the Church. You started today by opining that the government shouldn't even be on the hook for this.
Victims are poorly served by this type of rhetoric.
"You started today by opining that the government shouldn't even be on the hook for this."

The tax payer,not the government.
If the catholic church paid tax they may have a case,but they don't,do they? so they get off scot free,Again.
even when they are liable for compensation,who ultimately pays the bill? It's payed from contributions of the very people who they abused,they are abused and they pay for it twice.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#457247 Jun 28, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TLta2b9zQ64XX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
ReginaM

Nice explanations.

It goes to the question,"Shall we allow the world to define religion?"

And does that then define us, or merely make a straw-man argument?
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457248 Jun 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
THE SCAPE GOAT UNDER THE LAW WAS A TYPE OF
JESUS
1Pe_2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
JESUS GOD'S SON WAS THE SCAPEGOAT FOR US... ON WHOM GOD LAID ALL THE SINS OF MAN KIND....
SALVATION IS TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT HE HAS BORN OUR SINS (WHO WERE
ONLY WORTHY OF DEATH) TO CALVARY'S CROSS...THERE HE DIED AS THE SUBSTITUTE FOR US IN OUR PLACE
Heb_12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Do you have an original thought in your head?
Are you incapable of articulating an idea in your own words rather than spewing prophetic gibberish?
You may like the idea of jesus dying for your sins,strange that considering christians say he lives,but he didn't die for mine,I had no part in his death,I wasn't there I wasn't born 2000 years ago.
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457249 Jun 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
YOUR PROFANITIES don't shock me...
I spent 16 years working among Roman Catholics....
You should be well up on sexually abusing kids,too.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#457250 Jun 28, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, on both counts. I can understand the need for them as far as the sick and elderly go, but they're over-utilized, at least in my diocese. But, as you said, things are changing and some of these practices will eventually fade away. And *practices* they are. Not dogma.
ReginaM:

I think in our small parish church, they are not really necessary, but on the counter-side of the point, it gives the priest a lot more time for his homily.( A lot more!) And I think the people really need to hear more....

I notice different patterns in how the EMs are trained. In our parish church, it is very ordered. In some they are not.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#457251 Jun 28, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Must have missed a post to me sorry...
And if you are,asking if I left the Church yes
For a long time ..But through God's mercy and love a nd th e leading of the Holy Spirit ..I found a heartfelt belief in My Saviour ...I h e found Him and He me..
As the Shepherd who loses,a sheep..Will go to great lengths to find it and bring it back.
Thank God He is patient!!!!
That's okay, I thought that might have been you with a different name but wanted to be sure.

Yes, I know you left the Church. My question was about leaving Jesus in the Eucharist, how you felt about doing that? I can't imagine doing it myself, and have wondered how others can. Is it that you didn't really believe in the Real Presence to being with?

God has been patient with me, too!
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#457252 Jun 28, 2013
If Jesus lived, he had to be short of the all-powerful sinister undertakings of his Jewish father in Olam Haba.

After all, Jesus would have done away with hell in a hereafter, if he had had the power, as Jesus was here to teach us all the meaning of love ... was he NOT???

The dogmas are stupid, just as were the people that created them.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#457253 Jun 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
But your Christianity teaches that Muslims will burn in Christian hell.
Do you believe your own religion to be based on truth or a lie?
June:

I don't accept/believe your definition of Christianity, and religion. So I don't agree with you.

First, Christianity does not teach Muslims will burn in hell.

Secondly, I do believe my religion is based on/in/for the Truth. If I didn't, then I would be deceiving myself, or lying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 min Tellthetruth 447,415
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 26 min Quivering Lip Lib... 71,617
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr leprechauns rock 995,062
How is it possible that God has always existed?? 1 hr leprechauns rock 15
I miss her so bad. Should I reach out? 2 hr mikex28 1
How to make an interracial relationship work 3 hr malvin48 1
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 6 hr Dang Jersey Piney 122