Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 675765 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#457191 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
With all respect due the nuns, they don't make the call (unless they do indeed at your parish).
I'm quite sure that these same nuns would have told you 40 years ago that "guitar masses" were here to stay.
Thanks be to the Almighty and Merciful that we're not subject to that cacophony any longer.
Yes, thank the Lord. Both were retired, visiting from out east. It got me to thinking about the apostolic visitation and how timely it is.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#457192 Jun 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
"All" a favor??? Do you mean to imply that every reader on the forum agrees that you are indeed a favorite of the one and only god???
You fool!
Every person in every religion on earth that adores the teachings of their own cult, believes THEY are favorites of gods.
That mental blight is nothing NEW in religion.
I guess not "all"...maybe jethro will give you his email address.
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457193 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
....and Kenny's not exactly on the Vatican's Christmas Card list.
He must still pander to the catholics in Ireland because they hold the key to is political career,but the way the catholic church have abused the people of Ireland they must be getting pretty sick of it by now,especially now they've got to pick up the bill for the rape of their children by catholic institutes.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457194 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Are all the people who claim they were abused in the Magdalene laundries liars?
Scale of abuse in Magdalene laundries ‘will never be known unless State inquiry is extended’
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-...
The article you cite here (and apparently failed to actually read) says:

"In a research paper published yesterday, Amnesty International said a State inquiry into historical institutional abuse in Northern Ireland ignores people who were “molested in churches, church halls, private homes and other locations outside children’s institutions"

The victims interviewed for the government report didn't claim sexual abuse at the laundries, so no one's lying since no one's claimed it.

The government report, dealing specifically with the laundries, did not incorporate claims of molestation made OUTSIDE the laundries. AI affirms, oddly here, that this is indeed the case; that the report on the laundries actually deals only with the laundries.

So, no one seems to be lying, but AI seems to want the report on the laundries to somehow cover matters that didn't occur at the laundries.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457195 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
He must still pander to the catholics in Ireland because they hold the key to is political career,but the way the catholic church have abused the people of Ireland they must be getting pretty sick of it by now,especially now they've got to pick up the bill for the rape of their children by catholic institutes.
A lie remains a lie, no matter how often its repeated.

The government report cites no sexual abuse on part of the Orders respective to the Magdalene laundries.

I cited it for you and it's available for all to read.
Man

France

#457196 Jun 28, 2013
1/the result precedes the cause:
genesis:
[3] And God said: Let there be light! And there was light.[4] And God saw that the light was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.[5] God called the light Day, and the darkness he called night. And there was evening and there was morning were the first day.
==========
[16] And God made two great lights, the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to rule the night: he made &#8203;&#8203;the stars also.[17] And God set them in the firmament of heaven to give light upon the earth,[18] to rule the day and the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. God saw that it was good.[19] Thus there was evening and there was morning were the fourth day
==========

qst: how it is that the result (day / night ==> 1 day) precedes the cause (sun ===> 4th day)?
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457197 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"In a research paper published yesterday, Amnesty International said a State inquiry into historical institutional abuse in Northern Ireland ignores people who were “molested in churches, church halls, private homes and other locations outside children’s institutions"
The victims interviewed for the government report didn't claim sexual abuse at the laundries, so no one's lying since no one's claimed it.
The government report, dealing specifically with the laundries, did not incorporate claims of molestation made OUTSIDE the laundries. AI affirms, oddly here, that this is indeed the case; that the report on the laundries actually deals only with the laundries.
So, no one seems to be lying, but AI seems to want the report on the laundries to somehow cover matters that didn't occur at the laundries.
Hundreds of victims of clerical and Magdalene laundry abuse in Northern Ireland have been left out of a new public inquiry designed to probe past wrongdoing, campaigners said.

Some women had their babies taken off them, were forced to scrub floors or locked in their rooms for hours in institutions for women.

What part of this do you not recognize as abuse?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#457198 Jun 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
Communion means "the act or an instance of sharing" or as above "participation". If your bread and grape juice is just bread and grape juice you're communing or "participating" with bread and grape juice. If it's Christ's body and blood (it's not in protestantism) you're communing or "participating" in Christ's body and blood. If it's just a symbol, all you're getting is a symbol, it's not the real thing.
Protestants are 'communing' with each other in REMEMBRANCE OF HIM. His Body is being 'connected'. The bread and juice remind us of what He has done for us, and Who it is that MAKES US ONE.
We stay in touch with Him AND each other. Beautiful moments.
KayMarie
So it's just special "beautiful moments" bread and grape juice, not, as Jesus said, His body and blood. I think I already knew that.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#457199 Jun 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
You received the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ in the Eucharist nonetheless.
No way. Why does the CC deny the wine/blood to ANYONE?
KM
We don't.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#457200 Jun 28, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Leviticus 17:11, "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement fore your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life."
When the Romans don't get the wine at their
re-crucifying of Jesus, their expressioin is "mass", they get NOTHING! The LIFE is in the blood.
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just like your buddy Confrint. You scour the Bible looking for scripture verses to apply them wherever you see fit.
Lev 17:11 does not undo Jesus Christs own words: "THIS IS MY BODY".
Read the Scrpiture. Jesus held up BREAD and said THIS IS MY BODY. Was Jesus declaring His body was made of bread? Or, the other side of the coin would be Jesus was lying to the disciples because He did not hold up His body, He held up a piece of bread, and declared it to be His LITERAL body? Which is it? It cannot be both.

Matthew 26:26, "Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; THIS IS MY BODY."

Mark 14:11, "And as they were eating, he took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, "Take; THIS IS MY BODY."

Luke 22:19, "And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "THIS IS MY BODY, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me."

I Corinthians 11:23-24, 23 "For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "THIS IS MY BODY which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457201 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Hundreds of victims of clerical and Magdalene laundry abuse in Northern Ireland have been left out of a new public inquiry designed to probe past wrongdoing, campaigners said.
Some women had their babies taken off them, were forced to scrub floors or locked in their rooms for hours in institutions for women.
The part that's not documented. That part.

The government funds and compiles a lengthy investigative report lengthy report on the laundries, interviewing dozens if not hundreds of people involved, and concludes that sexual abuse was not committed by the Orders. In fact, the witness accounts don't claim that sexual abuse by the Orders occurred at all.

The report documents the hard work the inmates did and some being locked in their rooms for periods of time.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457202 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are these "campaigners" you mention but fail to cite?
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457203 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all abuse is sexual abuse,but to deny that there was no abuse is a lie on your part.
As a catholic you are bound to defend the crimes of the catholic church.
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457204 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0613/456461-ni-cl...
Clay

Union, NJ

#457205 Jun 28, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
Leviticus 17:11, "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement fore your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life."
re-crucifying of Jesus, their expressioin is "mass", they get NOTHING! The LIFE is in the blood.
<quoted text>
Read the Scrpiture. Jesus held up BREAD and said THIS IS MY BODY. Was Jesus declaring His body was made of bread? Or, the other side of the coin would be Jesus was lying to the disciples because He did not hold up His body, He held up a piece of bread, and declared it to be His LITERAL body? Which is it? It cannot be both.
Matthew 26:26, "Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; THIS IS MY BODY."
Mark 14:11, "And as they were eating, he took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, "Take; THIS IS MY BODY."
Luke 22:19, "And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "THIS IS MY BODY, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
I Corinthians 11:23-24, 23 "For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "THIS IS MY BODY which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
Let me add to your 1Corinthians verses: "Whoever therefore, eats the bread and drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, is guilty of sinning against the Body and Blood of the Lord"
It seems Paul was fooled too. He thought it was the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. Glad you born agains showed up to straighten Paul out.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457206 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all abuse is sexual abuse,but to deny that there was no abuse is a lie on your part.
As a catholic you are bound to defend the crimes of the catholic church.
I'm not denying a thing, but I'm not throwing mud at the wall as you are either.

I already cited where the report affirms that the inmates had to work hard, were there against their wishes, that the nuns were strict and ran the place accordingly.

None of the witnesses interviewed claim to have been sexually abused nor beaten. They uniformly state that they had to work very hard and that the nuns were stern taskmasters and verbally cruel at times.

The facilities DID pass state inspection in accord with contemporary factory standards.

Laundries were a hard place to be, no matter who you were. It was hard work. No question.

The government is paying out as the report indicates that they were culpable for committing many of the girls to the laundries.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457207 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
Thank you.
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457208 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Magdalene Laundries survivors fury at Government deal.
http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/pol...

Mr O’Riordan said their psychological, emotional and physical abuse was ignored by the package.

And he hit out at the religious orders who have so far gotten away without making a contribution.
Clay

Union, NJ

#457209 Jun 28, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're interested in what the Apostles taught about the Eucharist, you can read what their Disciples wrote.
Here is what the Bishop of Antioch, Disciple of John learned:
"They refrain from the Eucharist and prayer because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of Our Lord Jesus Christ; Flesh which suffered and died for our sins and the Father, in His Goodness, raised up again. They who deny this gift our perishing in their disputes"

Wikipedia.org/Wiki/Ignatius_of_Antioch
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457210 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
As I read this, the AI guy wants to run an inquiry on Northern Ireland laundries?

Northern Ireland was "left out" of another government's report on what that state did? Y

Yeah, they probably were.

Are you predicting a different result of an inquest in Northern Ireland, or....?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 6 min ChromiuMan 6,232
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 23 min Chess Jurist 110,449
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 40 min spud 136
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr gabtard 982,106
Why does shopping feel so good? 3 hr EllaJames 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr uIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 184,765
Something you hope your husband never finds out 7 hr Crazy Guy 1
More from around the web