Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 599645 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#456963 Jun 27, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
And He does not say it is in the literal sense......
Answer my question....what do you call a person what eats human flesh????
Maybe that's why we can't find his bones. Them disciple guys done ate him at "his" last supper! It must'a been "cannibal nite".
Come ta think of it, neither "mary" has been heard of since either.

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#456964 Jun 27, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
I slowly found help and hope in God, not in religion.
By the way ... Catholicism IS religion.

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#456965 Jun 27, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston:
Keep practicing "your" religion.
It is quite a big help for me, to realize how thoroughly immersed I became in despair.
Should Muslims keep practicing THEIR religion?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456966 Jun 27, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, like I said, if God could exempt Mary from Original Sin, then God could have just as easily exempted the whole human race from the concept of Original Sin, negating the need for Jesus and being far more consistent and just right from the beginning. I mean, what is just about inherited guilt anyway?
How do you avoid thought crimes? Mary never got mad? She never lusted? She was never jealous? She never doubted? Then she was a robot. Give me a break.
Applying your own standards, again, to what's presented and upon the principals is fine (you keep doing it), but your standards are yours.

I can't entertain "what if God just exempted everyone" anymore than I could answer you if you asked me "why didn't God make everyone's skin pure white so they'd reflect UV rays better".

I'm presenting the basis for the beliefs. I'm not proselytizing. Just giving you the answer to your questions.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#456967 Jun 27, 2013

Location hidden

#456968 Jun 27, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The discussion is respective to Catholic beliefs on Mary.
wilderide asked it directly.
Thus, Catholic sources.
Here's the Catechism as you seem to disapprove of apologetics.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive...
Same apologetics... Don't you have any "independent"(contem porary) sources of the Jesus people.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456969 Jun 27, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>and this advice from a self professed atheist
Preston:

Just a bit of advice which you may know, but need to practice....

Ad hominem attacks on others does not glorify Jesus.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456970 Jun 27, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no cure for stupid....
SIN
1. Any thought, word, desire, action, or omission of action, contrary to the law of God, or defective when compared with it.
Only a Catholic would believe that Jesus, infants and children and the mentally handicapped, have the capacity to commit any thought, word, desire, action, or omission of action, contrary to the law of God, or defective when compared with it.
Only Oxbow would think that by noting exceptions to "all have sinned", it supports his claim that somehow God couldn't exempt Mary from sin.

Location hidden

#456971 Jun 27, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, like I said, if God could exempt Mary from Original Sin, then God could have just as easily exempted the whole human race from the concept of Original Sin, negating the need for Jesus and being far more consistent and just right from the beginning. I mean, what is just about inherited guilt anyway?
How do you avoid thought crimes? Mary never got mad? She never lusted? She was never jealous? She never doubted? Then she was a robot. Give me a break.
It seems their deity likes to "roleplay". It must be infatuated with lust, blood, and suffering.

Location hidden

#456972 Jun 27, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
John 6:51-52- then Jesus says that the bread He is referring to is His flesh. The Jews take Him literally and immediately question such a teaching. How can this man give us His flesh to eat?
John 6:53 - 58 - Jesus does not correct their literal interpretation. Instead, Jesus eliminates any metaphorical interpretations by swearing an oath and being even more literal about eating His flesh. In fact, Jesus says four times we must eat His flesh and drink His blood. Catholics thus believe that Jesus makes present His body and blood in the sacrifice of the Mass. Protestants, if they are not going to become Catholic, can only argue that Jesus was somehow speaking symbolically.
John 6:23-53 - however, a symbolic interpretation is not plausible. Throughout these verses, the Greek text uses the word "phago" nine times. "Phago" literally means "to eat" or "physically consume." Like the Protestants of our day, the disciples take issue with Jesus' literal usage of "eat." So Jesus does what?
John 6:54, 56, 57, 58 - He uses an even more literal verb, translated as "trogo," which means to gnaw or chew or crunch. He increases the literalness and drives his message home. Jesus will literally give us His flesh and blood to eat. The word “trogo” is only used two other times in the New Testament (in Matt. 24:38 and John 13:18) and it always means to literally gnaw or chew meat. While “phago” might also have a spiritual application, "trogo" is never used metaphorically in Greek. So Protestants cannot find one verse in Scripture where "trogo" is used symbolically, and yet this must be their argument if they are going to deny the Catholic understanding of Jesus' words. Moreover, the Jews already knew Jesus was speaking literally even before Jesus used the word “trogo” when they said “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?”(John 6:52).
John 6:55 - to clarify further, Jesus says "For My Flesh is food indeed, and My Blood is drink indeed." This phrase can only be understood as being responsive to those who do not believe that Jesus' flesh is food indeed, and His blood is drink indeed. Further, Jesus uses the word which is translated as "sarx." "Sarx" means flesh (not "soma" which means body). See, for example, John 1:13,14; 3:6; 8:15; 17:2; Matt. 16:17; 19:5; 24:22; 26:41; Mark 10:8; 13:20; 14:38; and Luke 3:6; 24:39 which provides other examples in Scripture where "sarx" means flesh. It is always literal.
John 6:55 - further, the phrases "real" food and "real" drink use the word "alethes." "Alethes" means "really" or "truly," and would only be used if there were doubts concerning the reality of Jesus' flesh and blood as being food and drink. Thus, Jesus is emphasizing the miracle of His body and blood being actual food and drink.
John 6:60 - as are many anti-Catholics today, Jesus' disciples are scandalized by these words. They even ask, "Who can 'listen' to it (much less understand it)?" To the unillumined mind, it seems grotesque.
John 6:61-63 - Jesus acknowledges their disgust. Jesus' use of the phrase "the spirit gives life" means the disciples need supernatural faith, not logic, to understand His words.
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/the_eucharis...
John 6:51-52- then Jesus says that the bread He is referring to is His flesh. The Jews take Him literally and immediately question such a teaching. How can this man give us His flesh to eat?

They mistakenly, like all Catholics, took His saying in the literal sense. However, they where smart enough to know that did not make sense...that would make them, as Catholics are today...cannibals..

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#456973 Jun 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
If there is a single-minded Creator, then it won't matter which name devout believers hang on that creator, as faith will be all that matters. To be fair I suggest that the creator will go to the heart of the matter, which by-passes human language.
So that narrows belief down to the idea that all believers will be saved, and that means most people of the world.
Isn't that EVER good news???
:)
"if you receive Me, you receive the Father; I and the Father are One"

"those who have the Son also have the Father; those who do not have the Son do not have the Father" Jesus

Location hidden

#456974 Jun 27, 2013
correct...were not where

Location hidden

#456975 Jun 27, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Are infant, children and the mentally handicapped sinners?
There is no cure for stupid....

SIN 1. Any thought, word, desire, action, or omission of action, contrary to the law of God, or defective when compared with it.

Only a Catholic would believe that Jesus, infants and children and the mentally handicapped, have the capacity to commit any thought, word, desire, action, or omission of action, contrary to the law of God, or defective when compared with it.

Location hidden

#456976 Jun 27, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary was a human being. Humans require redemption. God redeemed her at conception. She recognizes her savior in this passage.
No problem here, Ox.
There is a problem....it is you regurgitating the slop you have been fed by your piped piper in rome..

This falsehood, as with many others, taught by Catholics, are not supported by Scripture....thereby, it is non Christian in nature..in that it is not a teaching of Christ..
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#456977 Jun 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So do you think that EVERY person who studies the bible had wisdom ... or does that scenario only fit for YOU?
Sounds like your normal pestering.
The ignorance and lack of wisdom continues.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456978 Jun 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert's NEW self believes in a personal god.
And since according to the "knowers of truth" god forgives all sinners, Robert is now in the group that is sure to be saved and will have nothing but eternal bliss awaiting him in the hereafter.
Ya see, there is no middle line with this god. Ya either deserve total bliss, OR total alienation.
It's called unconditional love and just as are the people that created the god ... god is "full of it."
June:

In a way you are correct.(Matt 12:30 'He who is not with me is against me, and he who is not gathering with me, doth scatter.)

The soft atheist, and agnostic yields, and thinks, "I don't know, if there is or is no God." But walking that middle line is not my way.

Yes. I shoot my mouth off, and go out on a limb with my thoughts and beliefs. Its just been my way to be as honest, as I can, even if it gets me into trouble( which it does...smiles).

Its better to be hot or cold, lukewarm is for self-pampering.

Location hidden

#456979 Jun 27, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, Take this; this is my body."
"Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, Take, eat, this is my body"
"Then he took bread, and blessed and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, This is my body, given for you; do this for a commemoration of me."
And you believe His words in the literal sense...so, why are you not answering my question...what do you call a person that eats human flesh???
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#456980 Jun 27, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
And He does not say it is in the literal sense......
Answer my question....what do you call a person what eats human flesh????
He uses the Greek word "to gnaw, to chew meat" His flesh. There are plenty of words in Greek for symbolic and figurative. He doesn't use them.

I gave you links refuting your "cannibalism" tripe.

Show me from scripture where He says it's symbolic or figurative. Thanks.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#456981 Jun 27, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Applying your own standards, again, to what's presented and upon the principals is fine (you keep doing it), but your standards are yours.
Well, if your argument is that God has it's own standards, and we don't know what those are, then anything can be God's standards. And quite possibly that God's standards are entirely arbitrary. Isn't it rather important that one discern what is or isn't according to God's standards? I thought that's what the Bible was for.
I can't entertain "what if God just exempted everyone" anymore than I could answer you if you asked me "why didn't God make everyone's skin pure white so they'd reflect UV rays better".
I'm presenting the basis for the beliefs. I'm not proselytizing. Just giving you the answer to your questions.
Don't you have an expectation that the religion you chose to adhere to make rational sense? In fact, religious ideology should in theory make perfect sense, if it is applied by an omnipotent deity concerned about human well-being. Did God give humans the power to reason and be rational for no reason?

Location hidden

#456982 Jun 27, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow:
I answered already.
You are trying to bifurcate the reasoning here.(False dilemma)
Ducks quack. God did not teach that ducks quack. So for you ducks don't quack.
You state that God doesn't teach original sin.
But if God teaches original sin via/through Acquinas, then God has taught original sin.
By your reasoning. Because God did not teach man to go to the moon. Man cannot go to the moon.
I cannot reason with you at this time.
If God wanted me to believe that all humans born after the incident in the Garden, are born with original sin, He would have told me so in His Sacred Inspired Word...the Bible..He didn't...

If you want to believe Acquinas and not God...you have every right to do so...and I, plus many many many others, have paid the price so you can be free to do so...

Bring kool-aid and fans....you will need them....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 4 min middleman1 2,777
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Stilgar Fifrawi 864,666
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 2,002
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 6,463
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 2 hr Raje 449
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr GREAT DAY OF ARMA... 40,874
News Vermont towns vote to arrest Bush and Cheney (Mar '08) 2 hr Alex - Infowars d... 1,165
More from around the web