Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 687290 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#457011 Jun 27, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"The objection Memorialists raise regarding the Jewish dietary laws and the Eucharist reduces the doctrine of Real Presence to a purely physical process which is a straw-man fallacy. That is, if the reception of Christ’s Body by Christians is a purely physical process, we would be guilty of cannibalism and therefore a violation of the Jewish dietary laws. Now the contemporary Memorialists are not the first to accuse the Catholic Church of cannibalism. This unsubstantiated claim was widely used against us by the pagans of the second century. We emphatically do not hold the Eucharistic reception to be a purely physical process and we are not guilty of cannibalism because receiving the Eucharist is not the equivalent of taking a bite out of Jesus’ Arm nor of drinking His Blood from the Cross. Those things would be a violation of the Jewish dietary laws. The substance of the host has been changed into the risen Body of Christ which although fully corporeal and real, does not physically belong to this universe. The Jewish dietary laws pertain to the natural; what we are partaking of in the Eucharist is supernatural. So our reception of Christ in the Eucharist is not a mere physical event. It is an event where the supernatural meets the natural. The benefit of the Eucharist is spiritual not physical; namely: grace. We cannot receive grace via digestion. Moreover, we do not digest Christ."
http://www.calledtocommunion.com/2009/03/real...
You are a coward....that is why you are not answering my question...what do you call a person that eats human flesh???
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#457012 Jun 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you die, is this what you will still be arguing about, or will you think back to how you could have been kinder to your neighbors while you had the chance?
I remember one senior dying from cancer bemoaning the idea that she wished she had been more kind to others.
That is a sad way to go to one's own death.
June:

Love is kind.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#457013 Jun 27, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>The Orthodox liturgy is NOT like that catholic mass. We do have the same Eucharist BUT, the Orthodox partake in both bread and wine. The are many differences between both churchs and one of them is that ALL ORTHODOX believe in the same way as to the catholic church of today IS NOT the Original Church as you claim it to be.Its that simple.Let me make one thing clear,it is important FOR ALL PROTESTANT FAITHS to learn the history of the Original Church going back to Pentecost and not starting at 1054 when the Reformation began. And may I also add Clay,you wouldnt get it. That's what makes you a catholic and myself an Orthodox.
We partake in the wine too.(not usually at daily mass) but almost always on Sundays.

I could be swayed into joining the Orthodox faith, Sera. The Pope won't arrest me ya know.
So why won't I? I believe you guys split from the Catholic Church. I believe Christ wanted a Pope. I believe the Orthodox in fact obeyed the authority of the Bishop of Rome, before language and culture drew a wedge and finally, they went about their own way.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#457014 Jun 27, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is...and even before...It would be best to go back to Abrum's roots.
Wow!
I am judged mean, nuts, and clueless for suggesting christians go back to their religions roots and learn from it?
You "judges" really don't want your people to know any truth about your religion do you?
What are you so afraid of?
TRUTH?
I bet you are too!

Location hidden

#457015 Jun 27, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
wilderide:
I think we can presume that.
It doesn't appear that Jesus prayed for miracles. He just did them, as an expression of His Glory.
None of the early writings show Jesus doing any miracles at all. Not until the "universal church" do we find any injection of him performing "miracles".
That is "elaboration"(fabric ation) at it's best.
Clay

Union, NJ

#457016 Jun 27, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how often you repeat the same lie...it will not turn into the truth...
I showed the definitions of "eat" and drink" in the verses you and your ilk quote...
Both can be taken literally or figuratively....you chose to read the Scripture regarding this matter in the literal sense...
And you know what that makes you...that is why you and your cohorts will not answer my question: What do you call a person what eats human flesh????
leave Christian discussions for the Christians.
You know as well as me, if we Catholics leave, your fellow fundies will turn their sights on you. They do not consider you a Christian, in case you haven't figured that out.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#457017 Jun 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
edited for space
line 7: " Mass changed many times" . Oh? I would like more info on that. Because if you're talking about language and order of the service, then the Orthodox (I would think) would be just as 'guilty' in that. But the meaning of the Mass hasn't changed in neither of our Churches.
==========

Orthodox Liturgy is closest to the Liturgy the Early Church. The Catholic Church has had many revisions which have continued through the modern age.

1. REIGN OF CONSTANTINE Secular influences on liturgy starting in the reign of CONSTANTINE in the early part of the 4TH CENTURY, Research into Roman imperial court ceremonial reveals inescapable parallels in Church liturgy.

Once the Church had joined in partnership with the state, it was necessary to integrate the bishops etc into the Imperial status system ishops and other clerics began to enjoy the privileges and ceremonies of the imperial court and of high ranking officials.. Thus, the Pope was accorded some of the ceremonial privileges of the Emperor himself, such as having people kissing his foot. The bishops became entitled to wear the dress and insignia of the highest ranking Romans..

3 The Roman Liturgy changed from what we see in Justin Martyr to that of Gregory The change is radical, especially as regards the most important element of the Mass, the Canon.

4. BY AROUND 1000 AD, THE LITURGY OF ROME WAS A MIXTURE OF THE GREGORIAN LITURGY AND TWO VERSIONS FROM BEYOND THE ALPS, THE GELASIAN (ORIGINALLY FROM ROME) AND THE ANCIENT GALLICAN.

5.During the c10th the Papacy went through a bad period and the liturgical life of the city came close to extinction, saved only by devoted efforts in some of the Cluniac monasteries newly founded there.

6 WHEN A LITURGICAL REVIVAL TOOK PLACE AT THE END OF THE CENTURY, IT SHOWED DEVELOPMENTS THAT WERE FRANCO-GERMAN IN ORIGIN. This Franco-German influence is explicable in terms of partly of the Cluniac presence, but mainly of the efforts of the Saxons, Otto I (912-973) and Otto II (955-983),‘religious men’[p 76], who tried to reform the Papacy during their interventions in Italy and supplied liturgical books from beyond the Alps.

7 BUT IN THE LONG AND GRADUAL SUPPLANTING OF THE GALLICAN RITE THE ROMAN WAS ITSELF AFFECTED BY ITS RIVAL, SO THAT WHEN AT LAST IT EMERGES AS SOLE POSSESSOR IT IS NO LONGER THE OLD PURE ROMAN RITE, BUT HAS BECOME THE GALLICANIZED ROMAN USE THAT WE NOW FOLLOW

8 PRE-TRIDENTINE MASS The term Pre-Tridentine Mass here refers to the variants of the liturgical rite of Mass in Rome before 1570, when, with his bull Quo primum, Pope Pius V made the Roman Missal, as revised[1] by him, obligatory throughout the Latin-Rite or Western Church, except for those places and congregations whose distinct rites could demonstrate an antiquity of 200 years or more.

9 TRIDENTINE COUNCIL OF TRENT (1545 1563 1570, WHEN, WITH HIS BULL QUO PRIMUM, POPE PIUS V MADE THE ROMAN MISSAL, AS REVISED[1] BY HIM, OBLIGATORY THROUGHOUT THE LATIN-RITE OR WESTERN CHURCH, EXCEPT FOR THOSE PLACES AND CONGREGATIONS WHOSE DISTINCT RITES COULD DEMONSTRATE AN ANTIQUITY OF 200 YEARS OR MORE.
10 IN THE FACE ON THE ONE HAND OF THE ATTACK ON THE MASS BY THE PROTESTANTS, LUTHER (1483-1546) AND ZWINGLI (1484-1531), AND ON THE OTHER HAND OF THE ‘CHAOTIC STATE OF LITURGICAL PRACTICE’[P 117], THE COUNCIL OF TRENT (1545-1563) DETERMINED ON REFORM OF THE MISSAL AND THE BREVIARY

11 The Latin Tridentine Mass remained the standard eucharistic liturgy in the Roman Catholic Church in the West until the Second Vatican Council. In 1963, the Council adopted, by an overwhelming majority, the Constitution On Sacred Liturgy "SacrosantumConcilium Following Vatican II, Pope Paul VI instituted a new form of the Mass : THE “NEW MASS”,

12 MASS CATHOLIC 2011 UNDERGOING FIRST CHANGES IN 40 YEARS New translation will go into effect in Sep 17, 2011

Location hidden

#457018 Jun 27, 2013
During my 40 years as a Catholic, when taking communion, myself and all of the congregation so partaking, only got the host(so said the body of Christ)....why was that????

I though Christ spoke of His body and His blood...did He not say "This is my body" and when taking the cup, did He not say "This is my blood"....

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#457019 Jun 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
We partake in the wine too.(not usually at daily mass) but almost always on Sundays.
I could be swayed into joining the Orthodox faith, Sera. The Pope won't arrest me ya know.
So why won't I? I believe you guys split from the Catholic Church. I believe Christ wanted a Pope. I believe the Orthodox in fact obeyed the authority of the Bishop of Rome, before language and culture drew a wedge and finally, they went about their own way.
Say no more Clay....."ALMOST always on Sundays says it all! Believe the man "behind the curtain" after all "there's no place like home"

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#457020 Jun 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Line 7:(Catholic Church) became heavily involved in secular government.
Herm, you're an Orthodox. You guys have been very involved- if not entwined - with secular governments for yrs.
EDITED FOR SPACE.
==========

The barbaran tribes invaded Rome, and caused its fall in. They included THE VISIGOTHS AND THE OSTROGOTHS, AND ESPECIALLY THEODERIC
When Rome fell to the barbarians in 455 AD, the church became the defender of order, justice, and what was left of ancient civilization.

The Roman bishop was instrumental in regaining the unity and stability that had been shattered by the invasions. In the East, on the other hand, the empire survived for another 1000 years, so the bishops there did not have the same opportunity for political importance as their Roman counterpart.

In 476: FALL OF ROME TO THE WESTERN GERMANIC TRIBES In the east there was a strong secular head, the Emperor, to uphold the civilized order and to enforce law. In the west, after the advent of the barbarians, there was only a plurality of warring chiefs, all more or less usurpers.

For the most part it was the Papacy alone which could act as a centre of unity, as an element of continuity and stability in the spiritual and political life of western Europe.

By force of circumstances, the Pope assumed a part which the Greek Patriarchs were not called to play, issuing commands not only to his ecclesiastical subordinates but to secular rulers as well.

The western Church gradually became centralized to a degree unknown anywhere in the four Patriarchates of the east (except possibly in Egypt). Monarchy in the west; in the east collegiality

When the western part of the Empire fell into decay, and was eventually overrun by invaders, the political, judicial and social responsibilities of its officials were assumed by the leaders of the Church in the West, centEred on Rome.
Inevitably, this dual responsibility led to a centralisation and codification of the manner in which things were done in the Western part of the Church

The doctrine of the supremacy of the pope finally reached its height IN THE LATE 13TH CENTURY, when Pope Boniface VIII claimed full religious and secular authority over every human being.

Location hidden

#457021 Jun 27, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
I am judged mean, nuts, and clueless for suggesting christians go back to their religions roots and learn from it?
You "judges" really don't want your people to know any truth about your religion do you?
What are you so afraid of?
TRUTH?
I bet you are too!
Hey Thunder,your beng judged for being YOu not what you say..lol...it happens to me all the time now.Wanna take a guess?? LOL.....if you say BOO you will be judged mean on that lol It says a lot doesn't it....

Location hidden

#457022 Jun 27, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
During my 40 years as a Catholic, when taking communion, myself and all of the congregation so partaking, only got the host(so said the body of Christ)....why was that????
I though Christ spoke of His body and His blood...did He not say "This is my body" and when taking the cup, did He not say "This is my blood"....
I rest my case!

Location hidden

#457023 Jun 27, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Say no more Clay....."ALMOST always on Sundays says it all! Believe the man "behind the curtain" after all "there's no place like home"
Heh heh...

Location hidden

#457024 Jun 27, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Thunder,your beng judged for being YOu not what you say..lol...it happens to me all the time now.Wanna take a guess?? LOL.....if you say BOO you will be judged mean on that lol It says a lot doesn't it....
Ya. It does.
You are the "Todo" don't ya know!
~Snicker~
truth

Perth, Australia

#457025 Jun 27, 2013
Jesus Christ exist..liked or not..does meter what others enemy of Christ think.
truth

Perth, Australia

#457026 Jun 27, 2013
Partrijarh reject mother Mary..remember its not '?'
about marriage..its followers of Jesus Christ teaching.
How many Jesus Christ first discipline been married?

No Jesus don't say nothing about that who can or who can't..followers of Christianity follow Paul and Peter teaching.

Location hidden

#457027 Jun 27, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya. It does.
You are the "Todo" don't ya know!
~Snicker~
Bow wow....lol
truth

Perth, Australia

#457028 Jun 27, 2013
its not god change weather in canada..noooooooo

whether pattern..in USA and Canada will be temperature or weather like in Australia..
seeeeeeeeeeee

but that's not god..noooooooo

fallen one first coming
o well
you are god for yourself
about what
changing weather pattern time and history

no i don't care to much
not any more
truth

Perth, Australia

#457029 Jun 27, 2013
its will be miracle like never before..yep
fallen oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeee

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#457030 Jun 27, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I excerpted a section that I hope is pertinent to your question:
'The immunity from original sin was given to Mary by a singular exemption from a universal law through the same merits of Christ, by which other men are cleansed from sin by baptism. Mary needed the redeeming Saviour to obtain this exemption, and to be delivered from the universal necessity and debt (debitum) of being subject to original sin. The person of Mary, in consequence of her origin from Adam, should have been subject to sin, but, being the new Eve who was to be the mother of the new Adam, she was, by the eternal counsel of God and by the merits of Christ, withdrawn from the general law of original sin. Her redemption was the very masterpiece of Christ's redeeming wisdom. He is a greater redeemer who pays the debt that it may not be incurred than he who pays after it has fallen on the debtor.'
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07674d.htm
Don't you ever get dizzy when you spin yarns such as you just come up with...here?

You've got more baloney with you than Lebanon..has...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 12 min Aura Mytha 31,084
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min Aerobatty 987,309
the REAL reasons O.J. Simpson beat murder charges 44 min Johnny 25
My "thorn in the flesh" God won't fix....this s... 1 hr Satan 5
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Hang em high 286,561
Whose fault was it that O.J. Simpson beat murde... (Mar '16) 1 hr Johnny 49
Why it's time for Donald Trump to RESIGN...in d... 2 hr Johnny 179
More from around the web