Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
440,521 - 440,540 of 532,639 Comments Last updated 22 min ago

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
If God restored severed limbs for the asking, then it wouldn't be miraculous, would it?
Again, you're projecting your strictures on what God should or shouldn't do.
The amputee thing's been run out here before, BTW.
So, you are saying that Jesus was lying about "prayer"?
There's no point in believing anything you people say anymore is there?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The "all have sinned" argument doesn't work because not all have sinned.
Just more proof that your bible is incorrect, or you are deliberately lying.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are telling us what Luke and Paul wrote is a lie? Really?
Should we get out a BIG BLACK "MAGIC MARKER" and draw huge black lines through these verses nobody can see or read them. Well, should we?
Luke 22:19-20, 19 "And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood."
I Corinthians 11:23-26, 23 "For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 25 n the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes."
We accept Jesus at His word. You on the other hand take a black marker and insert "this SYMBOLIZES My body".
OldJG

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture doesn't apply value the teachings of Christ according to the medium of the message.
Written isn't of a higher value than what is preached.
Really? When satan was tempting Jesus in the wilderness did Jesus overcome temptation by saying .."someone said it" or did Jesus say "it is written"? Let's see what Jesus said, shall we?

Matthew 4:3-, 3 "And the tempter came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread." 4 But he answered, "IT IS WRITTEN, "'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" 5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and set him on the pinnacle of the temple 6 and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written, "'He will command his angels concerning you,' and "'On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.'" 7 Jesus said to him, "AGAIN IT IS WRITTEN,'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'" 8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. 9 And he said to him, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." 10 Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! FOR IT IS WRITTEN, "'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'" This is repeated again in Luke 4.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
No ... GOD put me to death this morning after I tested his/her/it's existence.
This is my ghost posting. Needless to say NOT my "holy" ghost.
:)
WELL!
It's about time!--I thought I was the only one!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It'd be like ordering a pizza. Call and it's there. Handy, but not miraculous.
Yer prolly right...Prayer is absolutely worthless.
Anthony MN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Oxbow wrote:
Part 2
Interestingly enough, there is an occasion in Davidís life where he also uses the image of drinking blood. When he was on the run from Saul he gathered a group of mighty men around him. At one point he was fighting the Philistines who had taken the town of Bethlehem and he remarked how much he would love a drink from the well of Bethlehem. Three of his mighty men heard this and took him seriously. They fought their way through the Philistine line, got water from Bethlehem and brought it back to David. In 1 Chronicles 11:19 David says, "Far be it from me, O my God, that I should do this! Shall I drink the blood of these men who have put their lives in jeopardy? For at the risk of their lives they brought it." He says that to drink this water would be like drinking the blood of these men, not literally their blood, but it would be like profiting from their near death, since they risked their lives for him. You could say, enjoying the benefits which came at the expense of their lives.
That phrase really sums up what Jesus is talking about here. When He refers to eating His flesh and drinking His blood, He is talking about enjoying the benefits which come from His death.
Why all the commentary, isn't the bible good enough for you?
Human Being

Kinder, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary was also sinless? Is that Biblically sourced?
Moreover, if Mary was sinless, why couldn't she have been the savior herself?
Also, I guess specifically what I don't get is the prayers to saints and intermediaries instead of directly to God. Catholics pray to Mary to intercede for people, right? Why not just pray directly to Jesus?
wilderide:

You have probably heard, "Hail Mary, full of grace...."It comes from Luke 1:28, in the angels greeting. But the phrase "full of grace" from the Greek, is a poor translation. The Greek word is kecharitomene. It is a perfect passive participle. So it means that grace was always, is now, and will always be present. It is that grace, which makes her sinless from the time of conception.

Prayers to saints, are simply asking prayers from a righteous person. James 5:16....The prayers of a righteous person availeth much.

Catholics are in communion with both those yet born, with the living, and those who are dead in Christ. So though we may not see them living, we are connected eternally as one Body, in Christ, with Jesus as the Head.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does He say: And from this day forth, all newborn will have their soul stained with the original sin of Adam/Eve....or words to that affect...
Oxbow: In simplist terms Acquinas explain it:
So...this teaching of original sin did not come from God...but it is the teaching of Acquinas???????
That is exactly how the NT was conceived...arguments from guys just like that.

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
"confront"
KM
Interesting thought.
I kind of feel God deals with nations based on Christ, and Justice. So within our own nation the more Christians there were, the more Justice was served and this preserved the peace(especially within our nation), but it spilled out into the rest of the world as well, as the Gospel was preached in the rest of the world, and Christianity spread.
It is more like the Spirit moves to where it desires, which are in/with those "hearing" the message, and accepting Jesus. And that is where the peace of Christ exists.
And the opposite becomes true as we fall into the new "Faith"
SECUL AT HUMAN I AM..LEss Justice ..more violence...No moral compass to hold onto..

God has used us to Spread His word around. The World.

How sad He must be as this country is,slowly turning away from Him as,a nation

Which is why it is. Foolish for,CHristians to argue about my church is better than your church ..rather than joining. Together ..

An army of Christians flying the standard of truth.....

It's foolish and we will regret it..imo

All of the COMMUNIY OF CHRIST had a hand this nation's being a beacon .
Human Being

Kinder, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it would. God supposedly intervenes in many other ways, what's with the abandonment of amputees about? Not even one verifiable time? Kinda odd.
wilderide:

Luke 22:47-53

Malchus ear was cut off. Jesus healed it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean it wasn't a bunch of well-meaning church leaders who channeled God to tell them what letters and books to include in the canon?
You make it sound like a Papal election or something.
There was no "god" at the meeting...and NO election. Just fighting(some physical). Their positions and lives were all at stake.
There were no "popes" at that point either. That is a great big fabrication of the "papacy", who later made their decisions "retroactive" once they had gained enough power. Many sects were rejected at that very meeting's close or before...others took more time and "councils" to expel...most of it had to do with the divinity of Jesus, and the production of the "trinity". Let's not realize that "Mary" would have to be given "special" characteristics to pull such a lie off in the process.
Common people were not allowed to "possess" scripture or speak it under penalty of death. You were required to attend the "church" meetings for your dose of "truth".

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

persnickety wrote:
<quoted text>YOU have no idea what Pope John Paul II said or meant.
Knit and Pray..

I can read what He said.

What is sad is that you are cannonizing that saint...And then rewriting
His meaning .

He wanted us,all to stand together...But you insist that in order fir us to be fellow,Christians we must follow Catholic practice.

That is like the disciples who thought the Gentiles must be circumcised to follow Jesus

He acknowledged our. differences...while calling the non Catholics killed for being Christians. martyrs.

You call non Catholics Faux Christians..knit...Is that what the Pope meant???
Human Being

Kinder, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does He say: And from this day forth, all newborn will have their soul stained with the original sin of Adam/Eve....or words to that affect...
Oxbow: In simplist terms Acquinas explain it:
So...this teaching of original sin did not come from God...but it is the teaching of Acquinas???????
Oxbow:

The truth about of original sin is reasoned. For all have sinned....Well, there must be a reason all people sin, they have sin-nature. Sin-nature is part of being human. God doesn't create human beings like he does angels. Therefore we carry sin, as part of our sin-nature.

So likewise, for you, God did not say in the Bible, that the Sun orbits around the Milky Way Galactic Center. So it must not be true? Neither in the Bible does God say, ducks quack. So for you they must not quack....

It is difficult for me to reason with you. It always has been.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
One of these religions could give quite a thrill to their believers.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.
Tibetan Religions
According to an ancient tradition, the White Light gave birth to an egg, from which emerged the primordial Man.
The lamas are masters of the atmosphere exactly like the shamans; they fly in the air, etc.
Religious fundamentalists "use" their deity to threaten and defame you(bash). That way they can remove themselves from the repercussions that result from the attack. They do not wish to have their nose punched, and it is impossible to break the legs of a deity that doesn't exist.
How convenient!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

OldJG wrote: So you are telling us what Luke and Paul wrote is a lie? Really? Should we get out a BIG BLACK "MAGIC MARKER" and draw huge black lines through these verses nobody can see or read them. Well, should we? Luke 22:19-20, 19 "And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood." I Corinthians 11:23-26, 23 "For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 25 n the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes."
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
We accept Jesus at His word. You on the other hand take a black marker and insert "this SYMBOLIZES My body".
tonyBM said, quote, "We accept Jesus at His word. You on the other hand take a black marker and insert "this SYMBOLIZES My body". End quote.

This is very interesting. Was Jesus still alive when He spoke of Himself in John 6? If Jesus was alive, and He was, why didn't He hold up his finger, arm or leg when He said, "this is My body?" Why did Jesus hold up bread? Was the bread symbolic of something?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to get angry when Catholics say we're the true Church. Yet, you claim the Orthodox are the true ones. That's called a hypocrite.
I could care less if you believe the Orthodox are the true faith. I would expect nothing less. Why belong to a faith if you're not 100% convinced its the truth?
I don't think the Orthodox's argument against the Papacy holds any weight. Its clear Christ set His Church up with one leader. So it stands to reason the next generation would have one too.
why do you have to constantly LIE!!!

she never ever has said her church is the true church.

the FACTS speak for themselves. your church WAS the FIRST PROTESTANT church(BOY DO I HATE TO USE THAT WORD).

Gods Church is one of Holiness, you church has been so evil that God doesn't even wish to revisit it.

THAT IS HISTORY, clay.

WHY would any person wish to belong to your church?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age Spiritual Leader:
I can't be quite sure on this, but it seems to me honesty goes to conscience, the more dishonest one is, the more their conscience is dark. But the light shines through the darkness regardless of one's honesty.
No it doesn't.
Pathological and sociopathic minds have no balance or recognition of "justice" or "conscience"...excep t what is predetermined in it's perversion that their insanity is correct behavior. They live in unrealistic "truths", and behave accordingly abnormal. This "insanity" can be induced...religion borders on this process of misinformation, and mind seduction.
Human Being

Kinder, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
After a long search I found a post by Robert F, now posting as "Human being" written on the following thread Page 58.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/T675JJ592...
Earlier on, Robert posted as a Catholic.
It was a short time after this that I left religion and became an Atheist.
How ironic that Robert is now again a Catholic who believes in a personal "god" and I am now an Atheist.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
As an afterthought Robert, I would like to know why you believe that "only" the Atheistic type of belief can be open minded and objective?
Atheism requires proof of all things. That to me, is NOT objective. It is subject to the need for proof. It does not rely at all on mystery.
I don't even believe as an Agnostic, but I believe that Agnostics are more objective than are Atheists. Agnostics leave the issues open-ended. Atheists demand proof ... and tangible proof is impossible to prove, in the issue of whether invisible spirit does, or does not exist.
I will await your reply, and thanks in advance.
Robert F's reply
It is hard to say....To me agnostics are weighed down with indecision, therefore no clear answers can be found, but are "eternally" befuddled by everything....This does not make them right or wrong, just a bit befuddled, or a lot....lol
As for atheists....for me its a bit more scientific in its approach. I could be swayed myself, as I live in a country that was more or less founded by deists, and I have a particular prejudice then, by culture, to be deistic in nature....And after a long search for a personal god I have come to realize that there is none.
June:

Good memory and patience in researching....All the way back to page 58!

I find your response interesting as well....

"As you and I have corresponded off and on since I first came on the forum, I have witnessed how your beliefs have changed from following your Catholic faith to now entertaining the idea that you are more of an Atheist in belief, than religious.

I give you credit for your ability to use your mental faculties to question.

You don't seem to allow fear of the unknown to govern what you believe.
Read more at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/T675JJ592...

smiles....I guess you don't give me any more credit for thinking?

But, concerning that time in my life, I find it was necessary in the way God has dealt with me, to find my ideas, were (and are) pretty small and wrong concerning God. So I had find out the hard way, and deny myself, my own concepts about God, and become/believe, I am a so-called Atheist. To do away with my own learning, in order to start from scratch.

The question then remains, Why did I change?

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to get angry when Catholics say we're the true Church. Yet, you claim the Orthodox are the true ones. That's called a hypocrite.
I could care less if you believe the Orthodox are the true faith. I would expect nothing less. Why belong to a faith if you're not 100% convinced its the truth?
I don't think the Orthodox's argument against the Papacy holds any weight. Its clear Christ set His Church up with one leader. So it stands to reason the next generation would have one too.
Wrong.I don't get angry at all. I feel that the catholic church from ALL ORTHODOX point of view is NOT the true church. And yes ALL Orthodox do believe that the Orthodox Church is the True Church.Now how is that being a hypocrite? Were do you get the idea that I don't believe in the Orthodox Faith? I don't believe in the catholic church and its claim to be the true church because its not.Christ set His Church up upon Peter's Faith NOT on Peter himself. The fact that you don't feel that the Orthodox's aurgument against the papacy holds any weight is simple to understand. That what makes you a catholic and me an Orthodox..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

436 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Rosa_Winkel 720,684
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 10 min Petesayke KI 115,031
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 14 min dirty white boy- 599,068
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 29 min Dave Nelson 224,113
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 36 min seriously the original 5,231
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 57 min MUQ1 36,504
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Aura Mytha 256,454
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Clearwater 172,345
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 2 hr Naveen kumar 4,629
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 2 hr bbbbbb 73
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 9 hr Larry 122
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••