Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#456518 Jun 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
If you don't keep all of the plants pollinated, we will have famine.(Shame on you. LOL)
KayMarie
God has spoken through KayMarie!!!

What would happen if KayMarie couldn't preach???

WOE BE ONTO US!

By the way ... when IS that Jew coming to save you??? Have you had the word straight from Jehovah YET ... or is he keeping a tiny secret from you???

:)

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#456519 Jun 26, 2013
who="wilderide"
Well, we could start with the efficacy of prayer.

Good idea. Let's start with that one. When I was three years old I had rheumatic fever, and nearly died. I was left with a heart murmur, and the doctor said that I would not live. I spent several months in bed.

One night we had company and there was a conversation that disturbed me deeply. There was always a baby at our house, and as little girls do, I loved them. Someone commented on this, and another said, "It is a pity that she will not live, and have her own."

At night I would pull the blanket over my head so no one else would hear; then I would pray, "Dear God, please let me live and have children."

My life was uncertain for years, but I finally reached age 19, only to have the family doctor tell me that I should never have children.

To make a long story short, I gave birth to SEVEN children, and God graciously gave me two more by way of adoption.

I was not an adult trying to shape a religious belief. I was a little child, asking God to give me children.

'Nother question???

KayMarie
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456520 Jun 26, 2013
wilderide wrote:
Hey Dan, are you a Catholic? If so, can you explain the whole Mary thing? She has such a small role in the Bible, yet such an outsized role in the Catholic church. I don't get it.
Yes, I'm Catholic.

We believe she had a large role in Christ's coming.

We believe she was conceived without sin and was the ark of Christ's New Covenant.

The Church venerates her for her role.

That's the EXTREMELY short form.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456521 Jun 26, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
To what extent?

I mean, how effective is "effective", right?

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#456522 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
God not being able to be proved wrong
OH, but had he existed he WAS proved wrong! He claimed the Jews were his chosen few, and the Catholics corrected him by writing a new testament, and insisting that they would become his chosen few.

Athanasian Creed

1. Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

In order to save his self, Jesus would have to BE a Catholic. It's a darn good thing that John the Baptist got to him before it was too late. Jesus couldn't have saved his own soul had he not converted to Catholicism.

:)

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#456523 Jun 26, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Just to answer for myself, just in case this helps you discern "Why"....
I have no fun doing "the picking apart", but actually found the astonishment in why men have dictated to others what to believe.
Yes - like you and your belief.
Think of my posts as a positive reinforcement of Self and how your decisions to do things were ONLY YOURS and the result of you choosing to follow an INCOMPLETE belief.
My posts are the remaining pieces of the puzzle that one needs to really achieve astonishment and enlightenment.
Take it or leave it.....but ironically - the choice is still yours.
Self.
No religion required.
Why didn't you research the belief you have prior to joining your sect?
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
You are mistaken ..No one here ..least if all me is dictating that you believe anything
This statement has nothing to do with the post I made.
Maybe if you reread my post and then answer with a correlating response, it would keep our discussion moving forward.
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>..it would be beneficial for anyone to believe in the Redemtion offered by Christ
BUT NO ONE CAN DICTATE BELIEF. IT is free choice for sure.
Again, men have dictating to you on what you are to believe. It is true, you can accept that doctrine and dogma, or you won't - it is a choice. A choice of Self to agree or disagree. If you choose yes, you agree that those men have chosen a belief you will run with. If you disagree, in which I have, one should do so, because the person now doesn't allow someone to tell them what to believe.
This si the difference between you (and many others) and I. I don't accept nor do I believe everything men have decided upon for the Bible as "truth".
If you were in the slightest bit honest, you would also agree.
- Just because the Levitical laws are bogus, is proof enough that "the Bible is in error".
- Many so-called "Christians" refuse to accept this, so they continue to wear blinders on their eyes when they exclaim, "The Bible is truth". It is far from it.
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>curious I guess as to why it is so important that you deny ours.that's all.
Because it is incomplete and causes people to be dishonest with themselves and others, and I really think it is a time for a change to the people of Earth. Open your eyes - because these two traits are why peace is never achieved. People prefer to be selfish and exhibit this selfishness with, "My God is better than yours" or "My religion is better than yours".
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>It's like you have an a agenda in coming on a religious forum to argue again as t God..
Well considering this Apostles vision, spoken to him by Jesus, states "God" was a mistake.
I believe Jesus. Don't you?
Don't you believe "John"? You do with his NT gospel, why not this one? Do you think separating the beliefs of "John" because men told you to would cause "John" to not be as holy, because one of the texts attributred to him is considered "hereticial" by men?
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/apocjn-long.htm...
Do you have a specific statement by "God" that shows this text to be hereitcal?
Have you even researched what is heretical and what is not, as dictated by men to be?
Oops - we are now back at you following men. Damn that free choice you made!
Self.
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>Have at it but don't fool yourself.
I don't fool myself nor have I fooled you or anyone. I don't lie, and am always honest with the ones I converse with.
Maybe you are just projecting your own fears of "fooling me".
Maybe you don't really know the religion you so highly tout, because of all the posts above you made to me, were all against me and not the topic of this forum.
Did I say something that upset you and caused you to do this?

<<continued>>

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#456524 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
A short while ago, you wanted evidence of a deity.
Now, you are asking for something else (while accusing ME of constructing a straw man). You're asking for empirical evidence of certain beliefs about God, not about the existence of God.
No, they would be evidence for the Abrahamic God. I was not asking for evidence for the existence of any deity. You need to know the nature of the deity in order to know what evidence to look for. We know the characteristics of the Abrahamic deity via the Bible and the claims made by those who believe in it.
Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#456525 Jun 26, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Must agree with what is written;
'So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you are judged.'
Jesus says in scripture the bread is His body, the wine His blood. He says His flesh is real food and His blood real drink and that we must eat and drink His flesh and blood to have eternal life.

The oral tradition says the exact same thing.

You say "it's symbolic and figurative!!!"

But scripture DOES NOT say it's symbolic or figurative. Oral tradition says it's NOT symbolic or figurative.

What you say doesn't agree with scripture.

What we say agrees with scripture AND tradition.

San Francisco

#456526 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
To what extent?
I mean, how effective is "effective", right?
How effective is God?

Albuquerque, NM

#456527 Jun 26, 2013
<<continued to RoSe>>
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>People who protest so Loudly usually are full of fear that God does exist.
False conclusion.
I believe in a spiritual world, I just don't believe in your subordinate "God". You'll have to give me some sort of proof that you actually know this entity exists, before you can claim that "God" does exist.
Oh wait, you only have that trait called "Faith" that "He" does, huh?
You are running in circles.
Stop, look for your Self - it is a great starting point in understanding what you proclaim.

San Francisco

#456528 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I'm Catholic.
We believe she had a large role in Christ's coming.
We believe she was conceived without sin and was the ark of Christ's New Covenant.
The Church venerates her for her role.
That's the EXTREMELY short form.
Mary was also sinless? Is that Biblically sourced?

Moreover, if Mary was sinless, why couldn't she have been the savior herself?

Also, I guess specifically what I don't get is the prayers to saints and intermediaries instead of directly to God. Catholics pray to Mary to intercede for people, right? Why not just pray directly to Jesus?

Albuquerque, NM

#456529 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
What (from your perspective) IS a REAL Christian?
One who follows the teachings of the mythical Jew Jesus.
If they followed a Jew, they would be practicing Judaism ... not Christianity.
I really haven't come to a clear-cut description of what a so-called "Christian" is or should be, as there are so many unrelated descriptions - from one person to another - there has only been qualifiers established.

It's just like a couple of things that people think are defined:

- What is the so-called "Church"?
- What is a "heretic"?
- Where did "God" specifically state that certain people are
heretics" and what they believe is "heresy".

How 'bout you start with these terms, before thinking you have all the answers.

Go!

Albuquerque, NM

#456530 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that the mythical characters in all religious books existed as real people???
If so ... ALL theologians in all religions own truth, and the search for truth is OVER ... RIGHT???
There's one major problem with having that perspective on the issue. Theologians never agreed with each other.
Do I believe mythical characters existed as real people?
- Not necessarily. History tells us - thru the writings of men - that some did, and some were "copies" of other previous "man-gods".
- Did they teach some good moral lessons. Of course.
- Should we use these lessons to better ourselves? Yes we should.

But it appears you refuse to. Are you a bad person for doing so?

That now all depends upon another person's perception of you, now doesn't it? You've said you could care less what others think, and that is your right.

You've just proven that Self exists.

Refute it all day, you will still be wrong.

Thanks!

San Francisco

#456531 Jun 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="wilderide"
Good idea. Let's start with that one. When I was three years old I had rheumatic fever, and nearly died. I was left with a heart murmur, and the doctor said that I would not live. I spent several months in bed.
One night we had company and there was a conversation that disturbed me deeply. There was always a baby at our house, and as little girls do, I loved them. Someone commented on this, and another said, "It is a pity that she will not live, and have her own."
At night I would pull the blanket over my head so no one else would hear; then I would pray, "Dear God, please let me live and have children."
My life was uncertain for years, but I finally reached age 19, only to have the family doctor tell me that I should never have children.
To make a long story short, I gave birth to SEVEN children, and God graciously gave me two more by way of adoption.
I was not an adult trying to shape a religious belief. I was a little child, asking God to give me children.
'Nother question???
KayMarie
Is there medical proof that you were physically incapable of having children, and that therefore the birth of each of your children was a verifiable miracle? Seems much more likely that the doctor which told you that you could not have children was simply mistaken.

There have actually been many scientific studies on the efficacy of prayer, using double-blinded studies and control groups. None of them showed any effect beyond a placebo effect (and some even showed a very slightly negative effect).

Have you tried praying for the same thing to different gods to see which ones answer?

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#456532 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
WHY ... because you read it in a book???
People were all packed and ready to leave because of the Mayan end of time prophecy, but it seems nothing has been learned by that misinformation.
You gloat when you say "the time is coming." It makes you feel powerful, and that is simply your arrogance playing with your own brain.
The idea that a god would destroy the earth and take some arrogant beings to an afterlife of bliss is about as ludicrous as it gets ... but you insist on playing the fool's game, as it meets your desires.
Ahh June who knows when the end is coming..only the Father ..But it will come

However you know darn well that is NOT what I was speaking of.

A but defensive much??

Maybe afraid and thinks Christ cannot come tomorrow if God chooses.

Think it is totally impossible that you will meet Him when you die???

SCARED JUST A TAD MAYBE??

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#456533 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
God not being able to be proved wrong and being omniscient doesn't conflict with free will.
Even though God already knows what our free choices will be in the future, our choices are still ours and are still free.
Oo

an example ..though not great.

I am on the roof of a tall building

I see two cars about to collide

I know they will

But have no effect on that outcome

Albuquerque, NM

#456534 Jun 26, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
- "God" has never designated any specific text or religious belief as heresy.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe YOU are a heretic when you claim that a god even exists.
You have no proof for you lame claims.
From my perspective that is heresy against science.
"You have no proof for you lame claims."
- Yes I do - there is no text written by "God" that claims this. I'm justified.

But it sounds like you have something to dispute my proved claim.

If you have something, post it. You do want to prove me incorrect, right? I'll be happy to claim I was wrong, if you will.

Please provide that citation from "God" that shows I am a heretic and certain beliefs are heresy.

Or will you just divert and give more non-answers? We'll see how honest you can be.

Albuquerque, NM

#456535 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You just don't "get" it.
It's impossible to prove which myth is based on truth when myth itself is based on "concepts" of truth.
Like I said - I get it. You are the one who thinks I don't.

That would be your problem, not mine.

What are you going to do about it?

Albuquerque, NM

#456536 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe you.
We all prefer our own beliefs over the beliefs of others, or we wouldn't BE on a forum.
Self.

Thanks for posting!

Albuquerque, NM

#456537 Jun 26, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow it is getting very hard to pin point whio is dumber. For now I can clearly say that with this one you put yourself at the top of the list.
Since June's post was to me, and you felt the need to interject with your above comment, how is it that you think I am dumb?

Is it because I don't believe your mantra and doctrine?

C'mon D....be honest with me....give me your reasons.

I'm a big boy - I can handle anythign you really want to say, but I will never know what that would be, ifyou don't express it.

You do want me to "change", right? That is YOUR MISSION, isn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min UStheNWOWarmonger 830,385
bless the jews (Nov '08) 16 min worship GOD 7,145
the homosexuals who are EMBARRASSMENTS to the ... 16 min Titania 7
I wish God would get rid of all homosexuals in ... 18 min Titania 4
Rajkot gay Topix 19 min botam 41
Do you know buistore,a reliable store? 53 min Ritazhu 2
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr janeebee 3,957
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr Student 40,223
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr Paul Porter1 99,270
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 11 hr dr Shrink 611,943
More from around the web