Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 667847 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#456647 Jun 26, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
We accept Jesus at His word. You on the other hand take a black marker and insert "this SYMBOLIZES My body".
"Eucharist" is an invention of Catholics......

Recalling these words of Jesus, the Catholic Church professes that, in the celebration of the Eucharist, bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit and the instrumentality of the priest.

The truth is:
The Lord's Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#456648 Jun 26, 2013
OldJG wrote:
What does it mean when Jesus says you must eat my body and drink my blood?
The passage in question is in John 6.
John 6:53-56, 53 “So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
First, consider what this DOES NOT mean....
1.It is not a command for the Jews to kill Jesus so they can, as cannibals, eat His flesh and drink His blood.
2.Neither does it refer to the Lord's Supper--called by Roman Catholics the eucharist.
Secondly, let's look at the reasons it DOES NOT refer to the taking of the bread and fruit of the vine in the Lord's Supper.....
1.To eat the flesh of Christ and to drink His blood in a literal way would make those who did it cannibals. This would be wicked.
2.The drinking of blood is forbidden throughout the Bible. See Genesis 9:4, Leviticus 7:26, ; Leviticus 17:10-14, Acts 15:28-29. As seen in the Acts passage, even the Gentile Christians after the resurrection of Christ were to abstain from eating blood. If Christ was asking believers to eat His flesh and blood, He would be going against the clear teaching of scripture in numerous places.
Thirdly, in the passage in John 6, Christ clearly told them that He was speaking in a spiritual and not a literal sense. Verse 63 states, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life." Here, He tells them that the flesh profits nothing and that He is referring to the spirit and not to the flesh.
What the passage is saying is that we must spiritually partake of the flesh and blood of Christ in order to have eternal life.
In Hebrews 3:14, believers are "made partakers of Christ." In Ephesians 3:6, we are "partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel." To partake is to take of something as in eating.
Here, we partake of the promise in Christ by means of the gospel. The gospel is the good news of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ for the sake of sinners in order to provide them the offer of salvation. We partake of Christ by trusting in Him.
Consider these parallel passages in John 6: John 6:47, "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life." John 6:54, "Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."
These verses are close to one another. The first states that everlasting life is obtained by believing in Jesus. The second states that eternal life (or everlasting life) is obtained by eating the flesh of Christ and drinking His blood. Therefore, to eat His flesh and to drink His blood means to believe on Him.
Salvation involves us being uniquely identified with Christ in both His death and His resurrection. It is no more difficult to think of our selves as eating and drinking the flesh and blood of Christ than it is to think of ourselves as being "baptized into his death" (Romans 6:3 ), "buried with him" (Romans 6:4), and "in the likeness of his resurrection" (Romans 6:5).
In reality, we are saved by eating of His holy life and drinking His incorruptible blood (1 Peter 1:18-19). But this is a spiritual truth and is not something that we must try to do physically. The real question is whether or not you have truly believed in the Lord.
I thought you were bible alone, why do you need someone else's explanation?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#456649 Jun 26, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Recalling these words of Jesus, the Catholic Church professes that, in the celebration of the Eucharist, bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit and the instrumentality of the priest.
The truth is:
The Lord's Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming.
Book, chapter and verse where Jesus says the Lords supper is symbolic. Thanks.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#456650 Jun 26, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
We accept Jesus at His word. You on the other hand take a black marker and insert "this SYMBOLIZES My body".
Jesus took the bread and the cup.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#456651 Jun 26, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
WELL!
It's about time!--I thought I was the only one!
Well, because ghosts man-I-fest in imaginations, there is no limit to what we can accomplish.

How was YOUR flight around the earth's orbit today ... and what did you learn about human stupidity that you didn't already know???

:)

Prince George, Canada

#456652 Jun 26, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yer prolly right...Prayer is absolutely worthless.
I suggest you don't tell that to the Muslims.

Your head might go rolling down the street poste haste, needles to say, with no body attached.

Prince George, Canada

#456653 Jun 26, 2013
persnickety wrote:
<quoted text>YOU have no idea what Pope John Paul II said or meant.
Man from a Far Country—A portrait of Pope John Paul II, by Mary Craig.

Indeed he understood those who denied that there was a God. He had, as many of the fathers had not, first-hand experience with atheism and numbered many unbelievers among his friends. Like Pope John, he preferred to look for the common ground between them, believing that the church must take man as he is.

It is not the role of the Church to flourish its authority in the face of unbelievers. We and all our fellow men are engaged in a search….let us avoid all moralizing and all suggestion that the Church has a monopoly of truth. One of the major defects of the draft is that in it, the Church appears to be an authoritarian institution.

Prince George, Canada

#456654 Jun 26, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
wilderide:
Luke 22:47-53
Malchus ear was cut off. Jesus healed it.
When did you change your fore-matt back to the idea that there really is a personal god in existence that loves itty-bitty you???

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#456655 Jun 26, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your church is losing it's appeal because of it's bigotry and hatred. It is evidenced right on this thread.
People are sick of your ridiculous threats against their well being, and young adults do not want any part of your dispicability.
My little congregation threatens no one..We pray and worship God.

Those who cry out fir no God at all are the ones threatening the well being of this country.

I am a live and let live kind if person.

I leave it to God to judge..

But one thing I have seen over the decades..Is the more GOD is pushed out of the everyday life of we as,Americans ..the worse our society becomes. The less value we put on human lives..the mire we devalue our own.

Thus country has changed drastically but it did it drip by drip and not for the good. Imo

It's,like putting a frog in groundwater and gradually turning up the fire..the frog doesn't notice much UNTIL it's too late.

Another decade or two... If that much and we will see nothing of the values that made this country great. here only people out for what they can grab.if we keep going in this direction we are.
With nothing left fir any one to grab.
But that is another subject..

No one wants a theocracy..just freedom TO worship as the founders wanted..No State religion ...But keep the morality .

Our children and grandchildren will reap what we Have sown.. it has already started.

And it's nit a good future I see for America..

Prince George, Canada

#456656 Jun 26, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious fundamentalists "use" their deity to threaten and defame you(bash). That way they can remove themselves from the repercussions that result from the attack. They do not wish to have their nose punched, and it is impossible to break the legs of a deity that doesn't exist.
How convenient!
Good one! Religion gives them their masks, their crutches and their weapons. How handy is that?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#456657 Jun 26, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
"...He blessed it..."

He changed it. It was no longer bread.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#456658 Jun 26, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your church is losing it's appeal because of it's bigotry and hatred. It is evidenced right on this thread.
People are sick of your ridiculous threats against their well being, and young adults do not want any part of your dispicability.
And what threats,have you ever seen ..curious.

Prince George, Canada

#456659 Jun 26, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't.
Pathological and sociopathic minds have no balance or recognition of "justice" or "conscience"...excep t what is predetermined in it's perversion that their insanity is correct behavior. They live in unrealistic "truths", and behave accordingly abnormal. This "insanity" can be induced...religion borders on this process of misinformation, and mind seduction.
"For a time" back when, Robert F (Human being) agreed with you.

I don't know if you remember Mary (not Hammond) but rather the supposed school-teacher who turned completely against Catholicism and then suddenly was siding again with the staunch Rabid Catholic Franck. That was another example of swinging from pillar to post.

Prince George, Canada

#456660 Jun 26, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
Good memory and patience in researching....All the way back to page 58!
I find your response interesting as well....
"As you and I have corresponded off and on since I first came on the forum, I have witnessed how your beliefs have changed from following your Catholic faith to now entertaining the idea that you are more of an Atheist in belief, than religious.
I give you credit for your ability to use your mental faculties to question.
You don't seem to allow fear of the unknown to govern what you believe.
Read more at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/T675JJ592...
smiles....I guess you don't give me any more credit for thinking?
But, concerning that time in my life, I find it was necessary in the way God has dealt with me, to find my ideas, were (and are) pretty small and wrong concerning God. So I had find out the hard way, and deny myself, my own concepts about God, and become/believe, I am a so-called Atheist. To do away with my own learning, in order to start from scratch.
The question then remains, Why did I change?
I never WAS a Catholic Robert F.

More words from you on page 58

I kind of wonder about "change", is it in the genes or experience....I am old enough to learn genes go a long way in deciding things....
Actually, a lot of religous baggage I need no longer carry has made me less anxious in proving my points. And to be an atheist, I am reverting to my original childhood. That babies are atheists....It is something I read recently....But it sort of makes sense, that getting older and getting ready to return to the soil from which we all come makes us like children in the sandbox of the universe....

Robert
Read more at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/T675JJ592...

Prince George, Canada

#456661 Jun 26, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's probably why so many Christians are flocking to the modernized Pagan religions, where they believe that the goddess loves every body unconditionally.

People are getting tired of that hellfire and damnation tactic started by the ancient theologians.
truth

Perth, Australia

#456662 Jun 26, 2013
Creator created you with all your ability ..soul within you too..guardian too..its already yours.
It is written humans life will be in hardship too.
Man you will be work entire life provide future ..you woman, birth will be in pain ..
Please tell me about deference..you mean it is basic..yes it is..how much you need in your life..salvation for what..your soul..Jesus Christ done for you already..up to you you going believe or not, reject or except.
Remember he is been rejected too as many believers.
But excepted too.

Prince George, Canada

#456663 Jun 26, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth is:
Myths are myths ... period.

Prince George, Canada

#456664 Jun 26, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Another story created by Catholic theologians.

Prince George, Canada

#456665 Jun 26, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Book, chapter and verse where Jesus says the Lords supper is symbolic. Thanks.
The bible itself is symbolic.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

sym·bol·ic

/sim&#712;bälik/

Adjective

1.Serving as a symbol.
2.Significant purely in terms of what is being represented or implied: "an important symbolic gesture".

Prince George, Canada

#456666 Jun 26, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"...He blessed it..."
He changed it. It was no longer bread.
Human magicians can make you believe the "impossible."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Aura Mytha 92,646
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min bad bob 183,622
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 37 min Neville Thompson 286,044
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 49 min Neville Thompson 1,098
Everyone is a fool 54 min Joe M 1
why do fat women hate on skinny women (Apr '08) 1 hr Annomonous 134
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr dollarsbil 19,321
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 hr Gabriel 979,404
More from around the web