Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
440,121 - 440,140 of 537,372 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your assertion here requires that God do as you would see fit, when you would see fit; i.e. that He conforms to your expectations of behavior as you would proscribe.
That's the position that renders God less than God, if any does.
Sorry, but your blithe dismissal has nothing to do with the content of what I wrote. Go back to sleep.
Clay

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Using the Word of God to quote Scripture that reveals the truth is not reckless...not a washing of hands...not a grave error...has nothing to do with a M16 clip...
And...you gave her the wrong advice...she should never stop and I would bet the farm that she will not take your advice...
I would bet the farm that God knows you're being deliberately dumb with scripture in order to wash your hands.
You changed what Jesus Christ taught, Ox. God knows you're aware of it.

“Greater Love Than This”

Since: Aug 08

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you intended to reply to me, not "wilderide".
You are correct in that the early Church was persecuted, thus best not to hand stuff out to ensure that your activities were more widely made public.
It was read, not handed out.
Thanks
Circulated among the churches..I bridesmaid they made handouts..But I'll bet they secured them by making a,copy when they could.

Unless you think the RCC made them all up..Or memorized them ..at the time of Paul and Peter ..Rome was killing Christians ..even Jews BEFIRE that ...if you think these letters had no copies made by the original recipients ..you give too little credit to the brains of these people.

Anyway one mire in my long list if questions y o ask them.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am not a closet "preacher." I am an out of the closet ex-religious believer.
This is a forum Robert F ... not your Catholic church.
June

It is a source of sorrow from me to you, but also great joy, because you have perhaps helped many get in touch with their faith on this forum. My sorrow is your apparent displeasure with God, and religion. But in the back of my mind I just think of your expressing your displeasure will help others in the meaning of their faith.

smiles.

:)

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And you still think no one ever made a,copy to send on while keeping their own..They were by that time being persecuted..And these LETTER s were precious to them.
How do they all survive and wind up in Rome. You underestimate the fathers,if you do nit think they did everything to make sure these were not lost..
Copying was,nit like today and I NEVER SAID IT WAS.
But common sense was and is just that common..
Maybe they had a,secret storehouse or places to store them..these letters went all over the known empire ..it is foolish to think they had only one if each that miraculously popped into the Vatican. To be immortalized.
Jews,copied scrolls ..And these people were educated Jews,at first..
Considering the claim that the New Testament is the inspired word of God, it's very odd that none of the original texts survive, don't you think? And that the surviving copies of copies that have survived don't always agree with each other. Almost as if there were no deity overseeing the process at all, and it was just all legend carried on by a group of people who identified with the religion. Just like every other religion in human history.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

I don't choose percepts its as arrow=everything against everyone.
i choose statue=its against wicket
its written
god don't liked wicket

god words is god words
god establish earth
'endure' for generation up to generation
wicket don't liked statue=rosary cross

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
I' not that polite I'll just call you a dummy.
That's OK. I'll just assume you are projecting.

“Greater Love Than This”

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say that Adam ever ate from the Tree of Life?
There were two forbidden trees. A & E only ate from one: knowledge of good and evil. They were kicked out BEFORE they could eat from the second.
Genesis 3:22-23: And the Lord God said,“The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken.
Adam never ate from the Tree of Life.
They could eat from all if the trees save ONE..ONLY ONE WAS FORBIDDEN

Had they nit eaten of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil ..They may very well have lived forever ..whatever Gods plan was..But He only forbade. one tree.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If the god knows all, then the god knew he was creating a realm where suffering of not only humans would occur, but suffering of all forms of animal life. And that equates to the idea that the god is indeed a sadist.
Religion is BUNK!
And a religious person will respond that God has it's own morality and we can't expect God to follow the morality that it assigns to us, the creatures created in it's image (but nevertheless totally unlike God).

Which begs the question: where does God's morality come from then?

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why I am not longer a "Christian" - I just couldn't follow along with all the twists and turns men use to try to persuade and manipulate other men into a following that only makes other men rich, all the while, abusing children and then taking the money the followers give, to the abused, in order to cover-up the horrendous acts by the priests in the first place.
Well, you know, those people aren't "real" Christians.

Now, why an omnipotent deity would allow itself to be so grossly misrepresented is another question. Presumably we'd need "spiritual understanding" to get it,
Human Being

Welsh, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity has splintered into thousands of squabbling sects now, each one saying exactly what you have said about all the others. Each sect believes that the Bible is crystal clear in what it says, and yet look at all the differences in interpretation. One cannot say that God is a very good communicator, to say the least. Nor can one say God appears to care very much, considering no corrective action is ever taken.
wilderide

The surface of the water is troubled, and the sun is reflected in many waves.

(Genesis 1:2 ....And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters....)

Jesus calmed the waters, and those who see the power of God's Word, know it. And it is God. He communicates perfectly, we just don't see and hear so well sometimes.

Conscience is the self-correcting mechanism God created for us, because He cares for us. Of course some deny its existence.(They are still in the dark.)

“Greater Love Than This”

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say that Adam ever ate from the Tree of Life?
There were two forbidden trees. A & E only ate from one: knowledge of good and evil. They were kicked out BEFORE they could eat from the second.
Genesis 3:22-23: And the Lord God said,“The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken.
Adam never ate from the Tree of Life.
You are free to eat from EVERY TREE in the Garden except...the tree of the knowledge of good and evil
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
I' not that polite I'll just call you a dummy.
Didnt you about 5 years or so ago chide me about calling dummies dummies?

“Greater Love Than This”

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering the claim that the New Testament is the inspired word of God, it's very odd that none of the original texts survive, don't you think? And that the surviving copies of copies that have survived don't always agree with each other. Almost as if there were no deity overseeing the process at all, and it was just all legend carried on by a group of people who identified with the religion. Just like every other religion in human history.
And I'm thinking you and June have much in common.

Why is it so much fun for you all to pick apart our beliefs...what is the motivation..I wonder
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

read word
endure
god promise
god stay upon words
endure
http://biblehub.com/matthew/24-13.htm

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
You are free to eat from EVERY TREE in the Garden except...the tree of the knowledge of good and evil
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
As a matter of fact, you are exactly right. Only the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was forbidden. But even so, it was never said that Adam ate from the Tree of Life.

As an aside, I find this passage interesting:

Genesis 3:4 -“For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

Doesn't this imply that humans and God have the same perspective on morality? I.e., those who say "you can't hold God to the same morality we are beholden to" are incorrect.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what I said. Stay focused. Jesus DIDN'T forgo His authority when He gave Peter the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. You implied Jesus couldn't have given Peter the Keys because He still had them when He visited John in the Book of Revelation. I said its reckless using Revelation to undo the clear conversation Christ had in Matthew 16:18 with Simon- now called Peter.
- the Catholic Church has much more than Bible passages to show its legitimacy. She has historic fact; writings from the first Christians; continuity and order; as well as reason and logic. They compiled the Bible even though Christ never commanding them to do it. Its their sacred scriptures Kay. They held council and determined the set of canon that they considered Biblical. They hand wrote the Books and finally printed and published them in 1254 AD.
Later, irresponsible men read those Books, specifically focusing on each individual verse, to establish their own take on the Ministry of Jesus Christ. These men added a false concept called 'scripture alone' despite Our Lord never teaching it. Its amazing you cling to it when you can't even show Christ teaching it.
~~~

You wrote

the Catholic Church has much more than Bible passages to show its legitimacy.

SINCE your Church adds to God's word ...it no longer has any

legitimacy.

___

NOTE.... IN THE OLD TESTAMENT IT SAYS....

Pro 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Pro 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'm thinking you and June have much in common.
Why is it so much fun for you all to pick apart our beliefs...what is the motivation..I wonder
I find religion interesting. It presents logical and ethical problems to resolve. Judaism and Christianity also have a large effect on Western culture, and I like examining that aspect.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 7 min yon 2,231
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 min HipGnosis 173,002
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min CunningLinguist 225,723
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min Catcher1 730,861
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 19 min seriously the ori... 5,350
Minecraft Enchant Hack - How to hack minecraft ... 35 min JhonRed 1
Appjoy invite code 36 min lauraiv 37
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Pegasus 259,387
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Epiphany2 599,586
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 7 hr monu chauhan 104

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••