Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665349 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

OldJG

Rockford, IL

#455056 Jun 21, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said I have never ever heard such a thing ir read it ..
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
It honestly makes my stomach turn when I talk to Preston and Old Gee. I know they don't define Christianity, so it doesn't directly affect me.
But I'm guessing they are influential amongst their circles though, and I cringe when I think of those people who are being introduced to what 'they think is Christianity' by those guys.
Rose, being a Baptized Catholic and recipient of First Communion, you could simple go to Confession and receive Our Lord in the Eucharist without ever going to any RCIA classes etc.
Slowly but surely, people are coming into the Catholic faith. We are seeing many notable converts and ex career Ministers from Protestantism. Its rather hush hush in the media, but its true.
Rose, watch out for these silver tongued devils. Have them prove Biblically their position. Not from tradition but from the Bible, which is the word of God.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#455057 Jun 21, 2013
who="wilderide"
I really don't understand the whole Mary thing. In the Bible she has a very minimal part, aside from being a means to an end in creating Jesus (never mind the whole "impregnation without prior permission" thing).

Mary gave her permission. Luke 1:38

KM

#455058 Jun 21, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
That's a far cry from claiming the bible IS God. We worship God, we don't worship the written word.

You need a greater respect for the Word. It is obvious that you honor the CC above the Bible.

We worship God...enough to honor what He says.

KM
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#455059 Jun 21, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
All BEFORE Constantine. I think Old Jughead is really a 14 year old girl playing bible on an old Compaq computer.
"And many, both men and women, who have been Christ's disciples from childhood, remain pure and at the age of sixty or seventy years..." Justin Martyr, First Apology, 15:6 (A.D. 110-165).
"And when a child has been born to one of them, they give thanks to God [baptism]; and if moreover it happen to die in childhood, they give thanks to God the more, as for one who as passed through the world without sins." Aristides, Apology, 15 (A.D. 140).
"Polycarp declared,'Eighty and six years have I served Him, and He never did me injury: how then can I blaspheme my King and Saviour?" Polycarp, Martyrdom of Polycarp, 9 (A.D. 156).
"For He came to save all through means of Himself--all, I say, who through Him are born again to God--infants, and children, and boys, and youths, and old men." Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 2,22:4 (A.D. 180).
"I, therefore, brethren, who have lived sixty-five years in the Lord." Polycrates, Fragment in Eusebius' Church History, V:24:7 (A.D. 190).
"And they shall baptise the little children first. And if they can answer for themselves, let them answer. But if they cannot, let their parents answer or someone from their family." Hippolytus of Rome, Apostolic Tradition, 21 (c. A.D. 215).
"[T]herefore children are also baptized." Origen, Homily on Luke, XIV (A.D. 233).
"For this reason, moreover, the Church received from the apostles the tradition of baptizing infants too." Origen, Homily on Romans, V:9 (A.D. 244).
"Baptism is given for the remission of sins; and according to the usage of the Church, Baptism is given even to infants. And indeed if there were nothing in infants which required a remission of sins and nothing in them pertinent to forgiveness, the grace of baptism would seem superfluous." Origen, Homily on Leviticus, 8:3 (post A.D. 244).
"But in respect of the case of the infants, which you say ought not to be baptized within the second or third day after their birth, and that the law of ancient circumcision should be regarded, so that you think one who is just born should not be baptized and sanctified within the eighth day...And therefore, dearest brother, this was our opinion in council, that by us no one ought to be hindered from baptism...we think is to be even more observed in respect of infants and newly-born persons…" Cyprian, To Fidus, Epistle 58(64):2, 6 (A.D. 251).
Nice try little anthony. Let's use a non ROMAN CATHOLIC.

In researching several more sites I found the following to be historically accurate. 370 was incorrect.

As early as A.D. 400 Augustine appeals to the universal practice of infant baptism as proof that the church saw infants born with the stain of original sin. We find explicit mention of infant baptism as early as Tertullian around A.D. 220. Tertullian mentions the practice in conjunction with sponsors who would aid in the child’s spiritual training. I would assume that this is the origin of the practice of godparents.

#455060 Jun 21, 2013
who="Dan"
You seemed abundantly comfortable telling me what it was not, so I assumed you knew what you were talking about.

You wanted to catch me in a mistake. If you want it explained (from a Catholic standpoint)...go right ahead.

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#455061 Jun 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Anthony. I really didn't want to go thru the hassle of using my phone to research exact dates and authors.
I do remember reading that most of Protestantism Baptizes infants - Lutherans, Methodist, Presbyterians etc - and its basically just the 20th century Evangelical movement that condemns it. I find that interesting.
Thanks.
Happy to help.

Location hidden

#455062 Jun 21, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of "grace" is in play here?
The kind one has on the dance floor, or God's Divine Grace?
I'd be much more careful throwing "pathetic" around if I was you, Ox.
Not God's Grace...not the pope's grace...nor the Pink Rabbit's...

Per your pope approved Bible: And coming to her, he said,“Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.”

It says not full of grace...how many times will you try in vain to deny this truth...based on Scripture..in your Bible!!!!
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#455063 Jun 21, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>WRONG!!! catholic meaning UNIVERSAL...NOT the catholic church of today...the word catholic meaning only ONE UNIVERSAL CHURCH....if you drop the pride you will see it...
The early Church was called BOTH "Orthodox" and "Catholic." St. Ignatius of Antioch, a disciple of the Apostles, calls the Church by both these names as early as A.D. 107. The word “Orthodox” in Greek is “orthódoxos” meaning “right in religion“, or “straight teaching”; and the word “Catholic” is “katholikós” meaning “general” and/or “kathól(ou)” meaning “universally”. >>>>>

Also, the word “katholikos” literally means “the whole in every part.” It is commonly translated “universal.”

Here is what Ignatius says:

"You must all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you would the Apostles. Reverence the deacons as you would the command of God. Let no one do anything of concern to the Church without the bishop. Let that be considered a valid Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop, or by one whom he appoints. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is THE CATHOLIC CHURCH." (Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans)

Ignatius’ point is that the TRUE Church (the CATHOLIC Church –the Church as it is known in all parts of the world) is found locally with the bishop, as opposed to Gnostic cults and other false sects which claimed to be the true Church. Ergo, here as early as A.D. 107, the Church was already known as “the Catholic Church.” It would have been known by that name while the Apostle John was still alive, since he died only about 7 years earlier than the time when Ignatius is writing.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#455064 Jun 21, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="wilderide"
I really don't understand the whole Mary thing. In the Bible she has a very minimal part, aside from being a means to an end in creating Jesus (never mind the whole "impregnation without prior permission" thing).
Mary gave her permission. Luke 1:38
KM
After the fact. I don't think it's terribly moral to impregnate a women without her prior consent.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#455065 Jun 21, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
That's a far cry from claiming the bible IS God. We worship God, we don't worship the written word.
You need a greater respect for the Word. It is obvious that you honor the CC above the Bible.
We worship God...enough to honor what He says.
KM
I would suggest that we have far more respect for Sacred Scripture than protestants.

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#455066 Jun 21, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not tracking you here.
Not sure I want to, but run it by me again, but please rephrase.
How much sin is too much sin for Jesus to handle? Does he allow you to fall short of some sin, or no sin at all, or ALL sin???

I mean ... REALLY ... theology is so stupid that nothing could excuse the stupidity of it all.

If you are a serial killer for instance, and you find Jesus floating around in your head with nothing to do but be responsible for your sin of murdering others ... suddenly you are saved!

But if you are kind to your neighbors all your life and aren't in a religion ... you will go hell!

If that makes sense to you ... then you are in serious need of medication, and I don't mean being medicated by religion.
Clay

Lawrence, MA

#455067 Jun 21, 2013
OldJG wrote:
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said I have never ever heard such a thing ir read it ..
<quoted text>
Rose, watch out for these silver tongued devils. Have them prove Biblically their position. Not from tradition but from the Bible, which is the word of God.
well, if you go scripture alone, then you aren't going by the word of God in the first place.

Besides, even word for word sola scripture you reject anyway.

Jesus: "This is my flesh"
Old G : No it isn't, its just a symbol

Jesus: "You Peter are the rock upon which I'll build my Church... I'll give you the keys to Heaven, whatever you bind on Earth shall be bound in Heaven; whatever you loose on Earth shall be loosed in Heaven"

Old gee: "No, what Jesus really meant was the keys are for me because I'm born again."

Go play with someone elses scripture. I hear the Mormons have got a Bible too.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#455068 Jun 21, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try little anthony. Let's use a non ROMAN CATHOLIC.
In researching several more sites I found the following to be historically accurate. 370 was incorrect.
As early as A.D. 400 Augustine appeals to the universal practice of infant baptism as proof that the church saw infants born with the stain of original sin. We find explicit mention of infant baptism as early as Tertullian around A.D. 220. Tertullian mentions the practice in conjunction with sponsors who would aid in the child’s spiritual training. I would assume that this is the origin of the practice of godparents.
Not sure what you're trying to say. Tertullian is considered a father of the Church. Also, note that he writes it is a practice which suggests it had been done for a long time. And he's writing that in AD 220, long before Constantine came on to the scene.

Origen, writing well before Constantine says:

"For this reason, moreover, the Church received from the apostles the tradition of baptizing infants too." Origen, Homily on Romans, V:9 (A.D. 244).

Quesnel, Canada

#455069 Jun 21, 2013
Theology for dummies

Quoting scripture is not allowed in this theology class ... just bring your common sense ... if you have any left whatsoever.

All those who believe that the theologians that encouraged others to kill in the name of the gods went to eternal bliss in an afterlife ... please raise your hands???

Quesnel, Canada

#455070 Jun 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
well, if you go scripture alone, then you aren't going by the word of God in the first place.
Now THAT is funny!!! Is Jehovah also speaking to you personally.

:)

#455071 Jun 21, 2013
who="wilderide"
And who are they? You still haven't explained how to determine the True Believers from those who are deluded or lying.
<quoted text>
That isn't the point. How can you have priests, for example, if no one is to be trusted? Don't you need an objective way of discerning what is right or wrong?
<quoted text>
This pre-supposes where the truth is to be found. It seems a great mistake to begin in the middle. What if overlooking the beginning sets you off on a long voyage in the wrong direction?
The Truth is to be found in God's Word (Jesus...in the Bible). Discerning is by His Spirit. Jesus said that, "They will know that you are My disciples by your great love for one another."
That love is sadly missing here most of the time.:(
Living the 'life' He gives us is challenging, because you can't 'trust' in people. Our trust must be in Him.
Sometimes we fail, sometimes others fail...but the resulting experience is part of our 'education'. Rom. 8:28 says that "...all things work together for GOOD to them that love God..."
KayMarie

Location hidden

#455072 Jun 21, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sucks to suck, Ox.
Anthony took you to school and now you're throwing a fit.
No fit throwing....just giving him an opportunity to deny the truth...as you have...here is an other...

Pope John Paull II has 'dedicated himself and his Pontificate to Our Lady.' He bears the letter "M" for Mary in his coat of arms. And his personal motto, which is embroidered on the side of his robes in Latin is the following: "TOTUS TUUS SUM MARIA", which in English translates to: "MARY, I'M ALL YOURS."

For those that think the "Totus Tuus Sum Maria" is a fictitious proclamation of Pope John Paul II, see this excerpt from a Los Angeles Times News Article.

"By awarding the Virgin a central place in the cathedral's narrative, the archdiocese is keeping faith with a long, if fluctuating, Catholic and Orthodox tradition of devotion to Our Lady, a tradition enjoying a resurgence under Pope John Paul II.(The pope's personal motto, "Totus tuus sum, Maria," or "I am all yours, Mary," reflects his belief that the Virgin intervened to save his life from an assassin's bullet in 1981 so that he could help defeat European communism.)" -LATIMES.com Sept 1, 2002 By REED JOHNSON, Times Staff Writer

Devotion: religious observance or worship; a form of prayer or worship for special use.

#455073 Jun 21, 2013
who="wilderide"
I'm just trying to figure out how that works, at least from your perspective.
So I'm still not getting it. Did the creator have the option of conferring Original Sin or not? And also, is the creator not responsible for the characteristics of it's own creation?
Furthermore, if the creator is omniscient, then the creator should have known in advance what would occur. But if the creator is not omniscient, then it cannot be omnipotent either.

The Creator told Adam what the penalty would be IF he disobeyed Him. God didn't impost the penalty (original sin), Adam chose it.
But the Creator did not stop there. He is 'working all things together for our good', and will 'create' a higher being (immortal, undying) out of us, if WE choose to obey Him.
Our choice...

KayMarie

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#455074 Jun 21, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The original meaning "to the archers."
Isn't it interesting how we can PLAY with words???
:)
Mary had a little sheep
And with the sheep she went to sleep
The sheep turned out to be ram
And Mary had a little lamb
:o)

All I can say is....OUCH!!!....that will leave a mark...or two....or three....

BAAAAAA for now!

:o)
truth

Huntingdale, Australia

#455075 Jun 21, 2013
Asked yourself;''how many wounds Jesus Christ have''?
Asked yourself;about nailing =eksers on Cross about hand and lags''?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 1 min Truthiness 569
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 3 min Buck Crick 143
Thomas Jefferson said that Jesus NEVER existed! 10 min Buck Crick 24
Did O.J. toss murder into a Brentwood street g... 11 min Knock off purse s... 4
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 12 min Thinking 88,158
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 32 min Neville Thompson 963
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 46 min Ricky F 184,736
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr crucifiedguy 284,568
More from around the web