Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 21,924)

Showing posts 438,461 - 438,480 of532,185
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible doesn't mention cats either, but the absence of any verse mentioning them can hardly be considered to "debunk" the idea that they exist.
Nor does it say "Anthony Mn"....so he just thinks he is on this forum!!!!!

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You said just the other day the "the Word ( the bible ) was God". Why any Christian would listen to an idol (paper and ink) worshipper is beyond me.
In the narrative, an angel of God is described as appearing in the bush,[7] and God is subsequently described as calling out from it to Moses, who had been grazing Jethro's flocks there.[1] When Moses starts to approach, God tells Moses to first take off his sandals, due to the place being holy ground,[8] and Moses hides his face.[9] Textual scholars regard the account of the burning bush as being spliced together from the Jahwist and Elohist texts, with the Angel of Yahweh and the removal of sandals being part of the Elohist version, and the Yahwist's parallels to these being God and the turning away of Moses' face, respectively[10][11]

When challenged on his identity, Yahweh replies that he is the God of the Patriarchs - Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob -[12] and that he is Yahweh.[13] The text derives Yahweh (&#1497;&#1492;&#1 493;&#1492;) from the Hebrew word hayah (&#1488;&#1492;&#1 497;&#1492;), meaning he who is he, or I am that I am;[11] the Kabbalah takes this to mean that Yahweh himself is equal to his name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_bush
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Ex 3:4 And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.
Do you believe like Preston that your bible is God in the form of paper and ink?
Human Being

Eunice, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible and the bible alone, and my private judgement of the meaning of the bible is contrary to every Christian witness for the first 15 centuries. Even Luther was inconsolable when he realized what he'd done.
Does it matter to you?
Anthony MN

I think you are digging a put for yourself here.

Spiritually minded people are going to find the scriptures abundantly profitable. Its as simple as that.

Those who aren't spiritually minded but use the scriptures, may(or may not) come to understand much. And scriptures can and often begin the process of having a personal relationship with God, if they are searchers for Truth.

This makes scripture sufficient.

We must remember ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ.(St. Jerome).

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, every single debate should begin with sola scripture because you've decided that everything about Mary needs to be spelled in the 27 Books that made it into print. Right?
All you need to do is show me where Jesus Christ or His Apostles commanded such a thing, and I'll move down to Ohio and you can be my Pastor. lol
Don't need 27 books to know every thing the Bible teaches about Mary the mother of Jesus. The Scripture that teaches about her, using her name, are in the gospels, Acts, and Romans....

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>Through the power and grace of God. Through the Holy Spirit, you dummy.
???

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, Aretha 123, I thought you'd like it!
Yes, that's what I said, it didn't change. We were taught that the Blessed Mother died. We're well aware that at times there's a difference in theology between Catholic and Orthodox teaching on the same dogma, but usually not quite as different as you like to make out. I've also seen plenty of misinformation about Catholic teaching on Orthodox sites. It's a shame. The Orthodox I've known in the past were not haters, but then there are some in every group. I think you had a run in with a group of Catholics who wouldn't touch the Orthodox with a ten-foot pole. We do consider you schismatics, you broke from the Church, not the other way around, but some people take it too far and seethe with hatred. What a pity, huh?
I don't hate the Catholic Church. I have been honest about how I see almost all the Catholics posting here v Catholicism and the Church. Also when I see something inaccurate said about the Orthodox Church or beliefs I will post. If I say something about Catholicism I try to accurate and put time in reading. Or if I have read something that contradicts what was aid I usually will make a comment. I would agree wholeheartedly that I am much more accepting of the Born Agains, Protestants, Evangelists, Nondenominationals, Pentecostals here and I know that is upsetting to those who then think I am not defending the Theotokos or Baptism or the Eucharist. I know most would not understand but that is actually rock hard strength in my beliefs because I can listen and engage without having to attack, which never works. All this screaming back and forth and no one here has ever changed their position.I also have said that I respect Anthony and some of the newer Caths and I think one older Cath here (cant think of their names)I don't see my changing my perception of other Caths.
Pentecostals here

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible and the bible alone, and my private judgement of the meaning of the bible is contrary to every Christian witness for the first 15 centuries. Even Luther was inconsolable when he realized what he'd done.
Does it matter to you?
I really ought to be cooking dinner, but your question is a valid one (although I'm not sure your Luther reference is). So I'll take a couple of minutes to answer your post first.

Do I believe that the Bible is 100% true and inerrant? Yes, absolutely.

Do I believe the entire Bible is God's Word, from God Himself? Again, yes, absolutely. Human hands may have put down the words, but God HIMSELF wrote the Bible, in much the same way that a corporate CEO dictates a letter to a secretary.

Do I believe that the Bible contains everything we need to know about God? Of course. It certainly doesn't include everything there IS to know about God, but it does contain everything we NEED to know, at least during our earthly lives.

Do I firmly believe that the Bible is the sole arbiter of God's Word? Yes. Any seeming contradictions must be measured against the Bible itself.

Tradition can be a valuable ally, but WHERE TRADITION CONFLICTS WITH THE BIBLE, THE BIBLE WINS. It should be obvious to any believer that God's Word trumps tradition, and rightly so. Tradition can err; God's Word does not. Ever.

Does it matter to me personally that you don't believe that, Anthony? No, not in the least. I think YOU'D probably be happier if you did, but it doesn't affect me at all.

SPECIAL TO DAN: I read your reply, and thank you for posting it. You've given me a very real issue to think over, and I will.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I harbor no hatred for the Orthodox. Half of my relatives are Orthodox, and we love and respect each other's Church. Your feelings about my Church are the exact opposite of how they feel. I'm not lecturing you, I'm trying to help you deal with your obvious animosities. It's unhealthy...
Thanks for not upsetting her Anthony.She is cooking our dinner

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>I don't hate the Catholic Church. I have been honest about how I see almost all the Catholics posting here v Catholicism and the Church. Also when I see something inaccurate said about the Orthodox Church or beliefs I will post. If I say something about Catholicism I try to accurate and put time in reading. Or if I have read something that contradicts what was aid I usually will make a comment. I would agree wholeheartedly that I am much more accepting of the Born Agains, Protestants, Evangelists, Nondenominationals, Pentecostals here and I know that is upsetting to those who then think I am not defending the Theotokos or Baptism or the Eucharist. I know most would not understand but that is actually rock hard strength in my beliefs because I can listen and engage without having to attack, which never works. All this screaming back and forth and no one here has ever changed their position.I also have said that I respect Anthony and some of the newer Caths and I think one older Cath here (cant think of their names)I don't see my changing my perception of other Caths.
Pentecostals here
And I personally find you and Sera refreshing. I never knew much about Orthodoxy ..thought it was,part of the CC. with out the Pope

Did someone say your church started a,schism..isn't that like a,heresy or is it just a,split..actually thought it was a matter of locations???

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're sending her on a snipe hunt.
How is she to know for sure the disposition of these souls?
Are you saying not to look?
Every quest for information is a "snipe hunt" until one separates the facts from erroneous blather.
Anthony MN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony MN
I think you are digging a put for yourself here.
Spiritually minded people are going to find the scriptures abundantly profitable. Its as simple as that.
Those who aren't spiritually minded but use the scriptures, may(or may not) come to understand much. And scriptures can and often begin the process of having a personal relationship with God, if they are searchers for Truth.
This makes scripture sufficient.
We must remember ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ.(St. Jerome).
How I love St. Jerome. But he believed the bible must be interpreted in light of the Church. I have faith that those who are truly spiritual minded come to that realization. Hope you're feeling well Robert.

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Fantasy takes people anywhere they choose to go ... in their idol time.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

From the book … The Lexicon of Stupidity, by Ross and Kathryn Petras

Heaven

Heaven is a city 15,000 miles square or 6,000 miles around. One side is 245 miles longer than the length of the Great Wall of China. Walls surrounding Heaven are 396,000 times higher than the Great Wall of China and eight times as thick. Heaven has twelve gates, three on each side, and has room for 100,000,000,000 souls. There are no slums. The entire city is built of diamond material, and the streets are paved with gold. All inhabitants are honest and there are no locks, no courts, and no policemen.

Rev. Dr. George Hawes of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

1 HOW WAS JESUS BAPTIZED 4. WAS JESUS BAPTIZED BY SPRINKLING OR IMMERSION
The chief clue to the story's meaning is the Jordan river. This takes the careful reader back to chapter 3 of the book of Joshua in which, under Joshua's leadership, the people of Israel cross the Jordan into the promised land. The waters of the river (like the waters of the Red Sea in the book of Exodus) stand for the ancient forces of chaos and death. These would overwhelm the people if they were not protected by the word of God, the stone tablets in the Ark of the Covenant which is held up by the priests in the midst of the river so that the people may pass safely on dry ground (Joshua 3).
In the same way, the story of Jesus's baptism tells how Jesus, the Word of God made flesh, leads the way through chaos and death (the Cross) to bring his people to the promised land, the Kingdom of God Jesus is a new Joshua (both names are from the Hebrew y'shua, "God saves") who is not merely a man, but also the Word of God who leads and protects his followers as they pass through death into the new promised land, the Kingdom of God.
JESUS IMMERSED IN THE JORDAN RIVER
First, it must be noted that the expression “baptismal sprinkling” is a contradiction. The Greek term baptizo means to “dip, submerge, immerse.” The Greek historian Polybius (ca. 203-123 B.C.) used the word to describe a sinking ship (1.51.6). In the Greek version of the Old Testament (the Septuagint), the cognate form bapto clearly is distinguished from the terms “sprinkle”(rhantizo), and “pour”(cheo)(see Leviticus 14:15-16).
To speak of “baptismal sprinkling” would constitute a contradiction of terms. The verbs represent entirely different actions.
The argument for spirinkling omes from the term “from”(ASV) is the Greek term apo, which generally means “away from,” and not “out of”(KJV), which normally is expressed by the word ek. But there are several things wrong with this argument.
Apo can be used in the sense of “out of,” as in the case of Luke 24:47, where the gospel was to go forth “from,” i.e.,“out of,” Jerusalem. In fact, occasionally apo and ek are used interchangeably.
The Pharisees wanted Jesus to show them a sign “from”(apo) heaven (Matthew 16:1). However, in the parallel passages, in both Mark and Luke’s accounts, the preposition used is ek, instead of apo.
The reality is, in Mark’s Gospel, scripture represents Jesus as “coming up out of (ek) the water”(1:10). Barnes thus placed entirely too much weight upon the preposition apo in attempting to cast doubt upon the reality that the Lord was immersed in the Jordan.
Good stuff HS.

Now woyld you please explain to them what "water really is. They would never believe me if god were to verify it. I am an arrogant hateful individual in the eyes if these ignorant subjugates...just because I don't believe in their(your) deity.
It does seem that I understand the religion better than it's adherents.
Anthony MN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
I really ought to be cooking dinner, but your question is a valid one (although I'm not sure your Luther reference is). So I'll take a couple of minutes to answer your post first.
Do I believe that the Bible is 100% true and inerrant? Yes, absolutely.
Do I believe the entire Bible is God's Word, from God Himself? Again, yes, absolutely. Human hands may have put down the words, but God HIMSELF wrote the Bible, in much the same way that a corporate CEO dictates a letter to a secretary.
Do I believe that the Bible contains everything we need to know about God? Of course. It certainly doesn't include everything there IS to know about God, but it does contain everything we NEED to know, at least during our earthly lives.
Do I firmly believe that the Bible is the sole arbiter of God's Word? Yes. Any seeming contradictions must be measured against the Bible itself.
Tradition can be a valuable ally, but WHERE TRADITION CONFLICTS WITH THE BIBLE, THE BIBLE WINS. It should be obvious to any believer that God's Word trumps tradition, and rightly so. Tradition can err; God's Word does not. Ever.
Does it matter to me personally that you don't believe that, Anthony? No, not in the least. I think YOU'D probably be happier if you did, but it doesn't affect me at all.
SPECIAL TO DAN: I read your reply, and thank you for posting it. You've given me a very real issue to think over, and I will.
I agree with your post...until we get to this point;

"Do I firmly believe that the Bible is the sole arbiter of God's Word? Yes. Any seeming contradictions must be measured against the Bible itself.
Tradition can be a valuable ally, but WHERE TRADITION CONFLICTS WITH THE BIBLE, THE BIBLE WINS. It should be obvious to any believer that God's Word trumps tradition, and rightly so. Tradition can err; God's Word does not. Ever."

The bible is incapable of rendering a verdict where two parties disagree. Both parties claim decades of scripture study. Without question, those who adhere to sola scriptura have been unable to agree on some of the most basic Christian beliefs. A perfect example is your Lutheran doctrine regarding baptism and that of the fundamentalists.

Sacred Tradition includes ( but is not limited to) the proper understanding of scripture. The earliest Christian witness says Jesus meant water baptism in John 3:5. So do you. So do we. Why don't the fundamentalists ?
Anthony MN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

<quoted text>Thanks for not upsetting her Anthony.She is cooking our dinner
Is she making spanakopita? Yummmm
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Judged:

But not so with Jesus.

Jesus undermined the world’s way of thinking with the first words of his first sermon. Talking to a culture dominated by those seeking to be rich in spirit, Jesus declared that the kingdom of God belonged to those who were poor in spirit (Matt. 5:3). By inverting the standard, he was showing the kingdom of God is upside-down and inside-out. Those who are qualified to inherit the kingdom of God are those who know they are unqualified in and of themselves spiritually to do anything to earn their acceptance with God. The riches of heaven are given to the spiritually bankrupt, not the religious elite.

Jesus confirmed the inverted nature of his invitation at a dinner party with a bunch of tax collectors. The spiritually “healthy” had major problems that Jesus would be spending time in an intimate setting with such spiritually “sick” people. And yet, Jesus made it clear that he is not interested in the sacrifices of hard-working religious people, flexing their legalistic muscles. Rather, he came as a physician to heal those who were sin sick and had nothing to vouch for except sovereign mercy. As a subversive insult, he told the religious intellectuals to “go and learn what this means.” Apparently with all their learning, they had not learned the ways of God with men.

Finally, leading up to his invitation, Jesus expresses himself in prayer to the Father, thanking him that he has hidden “these things” from the wise and understanding but revealed them to “little children”(or babes). These things–the kingdom of God and the saving purposes of Christ–are a gracious revelation granted by the Father’s will to save those who are “child-like.” They are those who understand themselves to be needy, helpless, dependent, and with no accomplishments or successes to bring to the table. The only thing they can do is cling wholeheartedly with confidence and trust in the Father who loves them.

It is at this point Jesus makes the remarkable invitation,“Come to Me.”

Come those who are poor in spirit.
Come you who are sin sick and need a merciful great physician.
Come all who are helpless and needy, looking alone for
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Judged:

for the heavenly embrace in the arms of Jesus.

The invitation of Jesus inverts the invitation of the world. He invites us not because we meet a certain qualification or level of deservedness, but because we don’t. The scandalous grounds of Christ’s invitation is the sheer grace of God. Grace says to the poor in the Spirit, Jesus is rich in righteousness and will clothe you with his royal garments. Grace says to the spiritually sick, there is more mercy in the bloody wounds of Christ than there is sin in your wicked heart. Grace says to the helpless children, you will not be left as orphans in the world but have the right to be called “children of God” and adopted into His family. The grace of God alone is the hope of sinners, for when sin abounded, grace abounded all the more!

The great hymn “Come Ye Sinners” concludes with this marvelous truth:

Let not conscience make you linger,
Not of fitness fondly dream;
All the fitness He requireth
Is to feel your need of Him.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Judged:

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one who made the statement, the onus is on you, kid. I don't need to defend the Catholic Church, Christ has taken care of all of that and if you don't think your attacks on His Church aren't personal, you're even more clueless than you appear. Y in Ou sound like a child, are you old enough to be on here?
Cut the grap regina...your personal insults on me and anyone else here is childess.The debate is the catholic church and if YOu or any other catholic here takes it personal than that is You ALLs problems.But it insult me personally or any one else here just shows that you have to resort to insults like a baby in the school play yard.Now how would you like it if I or someone else here called you an ugly old hag?...name calling is a show of desperation.YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLY TO ME...by the way..I'm still waiting for your proof...put up or shut up..
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
Fantasy takes people anywhere they choose to go ... in their idol time.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>
From the book … The Lexicon of Stupidity, by Ross and Kathryn Petras
Heaven
Heaven is a city 15,000 miles square or 6,000 miles around. One side is 245 miles longer than the length of the Great Wall of China. Walls surrounding Heaven are 396,000 times higher than the Great Wall of China and eight times as thick. Heaven has twelve gates, three on each side, and has room for 100,000,000,000 souls. There are no slums. The entire city is built of diamond material, and the streets are paved with gold. All inhabitants are honest and there are no locks, no courts, and no policemen.
Rev. Dr. George Hawes of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Oh Sinner Man! Where you gonna run to

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 438,461 - 438,480 of532,185
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

540 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min Porkpie Hat 256,333
Shock Poll: 40% Still not Sure Obama is America... 9 min Fa-Foxy 6
Black people are more evolved then white people? (May '13) 15 min frankrom 28
Do white women like black men? (Jun '11) 16 min frankrom 268
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min BenAdam 719,752
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 21 min Truths 599,021
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 22 min frankrom 53,155
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 31 min Strength and Honor 172,166
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 49 min crusty 114,922
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 5 hr Naveen kumar 4,442
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••