Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 641345 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#454483 Jun 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Keep in mind that if Jesus was a Jew his Christ-teachings would be of Judaism.
ONLY if he converted to another religion before he died would he support a new religion, and that would make him a traitor TO Judaism.
his teachings would plainly be his fathers teachings,no need to put a name to them except gods word or my fathers word.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#454484 Jun 20, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>sorry to hear that LT, get one of those little carriages for her back side so she can get around
Thought of that jethro, LOL good news she is just getting old, she isn't sick she has arthritis. So she will be good for a while, I was happy to hear that.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#454485 Jun 20, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>You are just improvising now. No one said anything like that. Read the Ecclesiology of the Orthodox Church. Each Church constitutes a Church.(Remember where the Bishop is the Church is" ) They do not get their authority from the Patriarch. In your Ecclesiology your Bishops get their authority from the Pope.
Therefore the Bishop safeguards the faith working with other Bishops, the Priest and the people. You need to study Conciliar v Monarchial. The Orthodox Councils used to consult the people of the Church before finalizing a decision because the people knew that the Church had always done and safeguarded the True Faith from innovations.
Not to be disrespectful but I am not hear to teach a class. I just see how off track Caths get when they explain Orthodoxy.
when you first came on here I was somewhat disappointed because I was hoping that you would be more like John. when it came to His beliefs, he was able to point out the falsehoods of what several catholics on here would say.

Be strong in your faith and what you know to be true.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454486 Jun 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the same reason you and I won't live to be 1000 years old.
Why is that, June?
Your organ cells are genetically programmed to shut down when your body has processed enough toxins for long periods. It is akin to elastic becoming like glass fiber. Your central nervous system will only reprogram and renew only so many times depending on the amount of snd severity of the affliction.--kind of like a computer program.

usa

#454487 Jun 20, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Thought of that jethro, LOL good news she is just getting old, she isn't sick she has arthritis. So she will be good for a while, I was happy to hear that.
ok lt, I'm sure she had a long happy life you being spoiled rotten.

usa

#454488 Jun 20, 2013
be back later.

Location hidden

#454489 Jun 20, 2013
I believe that mary died, and her spirit went to be with God at the time of her death.

for the Bible says "it is appointed unto man once to die and after that the Judgement".

mary, like all others kept her appointment.

I believe that Mary was saved by God because she received the Holy Ghost like thousands of other believers on that 50th day.

she was not Saved because of her being a surrogate mother to Jesus, that is not and never will be the way into heaven.

like the rest of us, she had to accept Jesus as her Savior. and lets look at the words of Jesus.

Why then did David call me Lord, when he said my Lord said to my Lord.

David a man after Gods own heart also had to acknowledge Jesus as Lord, therefore, his(davids) descendant(mary) also had to acknowledge Him. for it is written, that every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess, jesus is Lord.NO EXCEPTIONS

Location hidden

#454490 Jun 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems abundantly clear.
"5 Jesus answered,“Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit."
You do understand the meaning of "water" in this case is don't you?
It isn't referring to "baptism by water(H 2 0)"...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#454491 Jun 20, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>lol, just WHO do you think was speaking in that [burning bush]. it was the WORD and the WORD is jesus.
On any one

When the Old Testament speaks,of the Angel of the Lord...ie visits,Sarai and Abram..

Is that Jesus???

Not Gabriel visiting Mary

Location hidden

#454492 Jun 20, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a cat for almost 16 years, he died in my arms as well at home. Vet told me to give him Gravol to keep him quiet till I got him to the vets, he died at 7am the next morning.
This kitty is 13, they become such a part of your life.
I am going to miss her.
Sorry LTM...I understand how you feel...pets are much like kin...sometimes better in some ways.

Location hidden

#454493 Jun 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Necessary to "enter the Kingdom of God".
You guys can be so silly sometimes. You don't even understand your own god nor what his words mean.
This argument is a perfect example.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#454494 Jun 20, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Regina,
The Orthodox Church teaches that Mary died a natural death, like any human being; that her soul was received by Christ upon death; and that her body was resurrected on the third day after her repose, at which time she was taken up, bodily only, into heaven. Her tomb was found empty on the third day.
Roman Catholic teaching holds that Mary was "assumed" into heaven in bodily form, just as her son Jesus ascended.
Some Catholics agree with the Orthodox that this happened after Mary's death, while some hold that she did not experience death.
Pope Pius XII, in his Apostolic constitution, Munificentissimus Deus (1950), which dogmatically defined the Assumption, left open the question of whether or not Mary actually underwent death in connection with her departure, but alludes to the fact of her death at least five times.
However, during a General Audience on 25 June 1997, Pope John Paul II affirmed that Mary did indeed experience natural death prior to her assumption into Heaven.
THE POPE STATED:
It is true that in Revelation death is presented as a punishment for sin. However, the fact that the Church proclaims Mary free from original sin by a unique divine privilege does not lead to the conclusion that she also received physical immortality. The Mother is not superior to the Son who underwent death, giving it a new meaning and changing it into a means of salvation. Involved in Christ’s redemptive work and associated in his saving sacrifice, Mary was able to share in his suffering and death for the sake of humanity’s Redemption. What Severus of Antioch says about Christ also applies to her:“Without a preliminary death, how could the Resurrection have taken place?”(Antijulianistica, Beirut 1931, 194f.). To share in Christ’s Resurrection, Mary had first to share in his death. The New Testament provides no information on the circumstances of Mary’s death. This silence leads one to suppose that it happened naturally, with no detail particularly worthy of mention. If this were not the case, how could the information about it have remained hidden from her contemporaries and not have been passed down to us in some way? As to the cause of Mary’s death, the opinions that wish to exclude her from death by natural causes seem groundless. It is more important to look for the Blessed Virgin’s spiritual attitude at the moment of her departure from this world. In this regard, St Francis de Sales maintains that Mary’s death was due to a transport of love. He speaks of a dying “in love, from love and through love”, going so far as to say that the Mother of God died of love for her Son Jesus (Treatise on the Love of God, bk. 7, ch. XIII-XIV).
Whatever from the physical point of view was the organic, biological cause of the end of her bodily life, it can be said that for Mary the passage from this life to the next was the full development of grace in glory, so that no death can ever be so fittingly described as a “dormition” as hers."
Hi, Aretha 123, I thought you'd like it!

Yes, that's what I said, it didn't change. We were taught that the Blessed Mother died. We're well aware that at times there's a difference in theology between Catholic and Orthodox teaching on the same dogma, but usually not quite as different as you like to make out. I've also seen plenty of misinformation about Catholic teaching on Orthodox sites. It's a shame. The Orthodox I've known in the past were not haters, but then there are some in every group. I think you had a run in with a group of Catholics who wouldn't touch the Orthodox with a ten-foot pole. We do consider you schismatics, you broke from the Church, not the other way around, but some people take it too far and seethe with hatred. What a pity, huh?

“What are you looking at?”

Albuquerque, NM

#454495 Jun 20, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you call him or anyone a joke? You sound like a little baby stamping your feet. Why don't you just do as he asks and provide some proof from Church teaching that what you're saying is true?
As always - the "Church" hasn't been defined completely, so your use of the term is inadequate.

Albuquerque, NM

#454496 Jun 20, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>lol, just WHO do you think was speaking in that [burning bush]. it was the WORD and the WORD is jesus.
It was "aliens".

;o)

BTW - that is why Moses' hair turned all white - he was subjected to radiation.

Location hidden

#454497 Jun 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I was more trustworthy than you.
You insisted that they DIDN'T have a fish fry.
Sometimes folks git's fish fry's confused with witch burnings.
You can tell by the smell which is which though.

Albuquerque, NM

#454498 Jun 20, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys can be so silly sometimes. You don't even understand your own god nor what his words mean.
This argument is a perfect example.
.....because they refuse to learn.

Self.

Location hidden

#454499 Jun 20, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Now how would I know if that church had a fish fry...
Lisren sis---I think the cathaholic church don't like ta have "fish frys" cause the blind folks gits the place confused wit the local house id ill repute...causes a bit of embarrasment--ya know what I mean?

Location hidden

#454500 Jun 20, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
On any one
When the Old Testament speaks,of the Angel of the Lord...ie visits,Sarai and Abram..
Is that Jesus???
Not Gabriel visiting Mary
oftimes the Hebrew writers would use that word [angel]and it would refer to jesus also. but when the actual name of the angel is used, then it is who the Bible says it is

look at the great wrestling match, it speaks of an angel, yet he speaks of it being God.Genesis 32:24-32

therefore the Word Malach could mean a messenger or a supernatural being.

take into consideration that the jewish people have a very difficult time excepting Jesus as their Messiah.

thanks for asking.

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#454501 Jun 20, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
IT IS BECAUSE OF FAITH IN GOD AND THE FULFILLING OF THE WORD'S OF THE BIBLE THAT MY WIFE IS ALIVE..
You arrogant fool! That statement implies that all the other men who prayed that their wives would live, and yet the wives died had THEIR prayers ignored by the same supposed god.

You people and your religions are so gluttonous to be the center of attention that you throw all others under the bus.

YUCK!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#454502 Jun 20, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
Bartholomew...does not speak for the Bishops,Priest,and People who hold the REAL POWER of the Orthodox Church.he has ONE VOTE at the Bishops Synod
Bartholomew isn't alone by any means. I'm sorry you feel the way you do Sera.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Happy Lesbo 37,996
my name is lorna and morrcan cock is biggest 28 min uncute 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 32 min trifecta1 969,936
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 39 min Johnny 744
Women and Men: DO NOT marry/date an Engineer!!! (Oct '08) 47 min dimmu 112
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 47 min good advice 44,312
If A White Girl Only Sleeps With Black Men, Doe... (May '12) 48 min DJI 14
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 51 min WasteWater 104,632
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr good advice 618,365
More from around the web