Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665126 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#454429 Jun 20, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary was a virgin
.when Jesus was conceived..
Nope. See, the problem is, Christians depend upon the Hebrew Bible, but unfortunately for them, the Jews, who wrote that book, know better than the Christians what their own texts say.

To quote from the Jews themselves:

( http://www.aish.com/jw/s/48892792.html )

The Christian idea of a virgin birth is derived from the verse in Isaiah 7:14 describing an "alma" as giving birth. The word "alma" has always meant a young woman, but Christian theologians came centuries later and translated it as "virgin." This accords Jesus' birth with the first century pagan idea of mortals being impregnated by gods.

Moreover, Jesus also did not fulfill the Hebrew prophesies of who the messiah would be.

Specifically, the Bible says he will (all within his lifetime):

-Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
-Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
-Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
-Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world &#8213; on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

Sorry, Jesus fails on all counts.
Clay

Brooklyn, NY

#454430 Jun 20, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>as I stated last night. the words" full of grace" are only used twice in the New testament. once in Acts and also in John.
the [correct] Greek words for "full of grace" are "plaras karitos". now you can accept that or your lies about other words that you allege mean "full of grace". I don't care. you were a liar and a deceiver ever since you appeared on this forum and to be honest, I never missed you while you were gone a few months ago.
the awesome thing about being Catholic is that we don't need to bother researching stuff if we don't want to. I know its built on truth. Period..
There is something missing from your accusation; something you're leaving out. It reeks of deception.
I assure you, Catholicism does not deceive. If they let one lie in, then it all comes crashing down anyway.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#454431 Jun 20, 2013
940
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sola Scriptura, the words and the premise, are unbiblical.
Only a Catholic trying to deny the truth in God's Word would say the following Scripture is "UN-bibical"...

Quote: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#454432 Jun 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sola Scriptura, the words and the premise, are un biblical.
~~~~
If these words "Sola Scriptura' are UN-scriptural..

WHY DID THE ROMAN CATHOLICS COIN THEM...

IS IT NOT JUST ANOTHER ONE OF THE RCC'S INVENTIONS?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#454434 Jun 20, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. See, the problem is, Christians depend upon the Hebrew Bible, but unfortunately for them, the Jews, who wrote that book, know better than the Christians what their own texts say.
To quote from the Jews themselves:
( http://www.aish.com/jw/s/48892792.html )
The Christian idea of a virgin birth is derived from the verse in Isaiah 7:14 describing an "alma" as giving birth. The word "alma" has always meant a young woman, but Christian theologians came centuries later and translated it as "virgin." This accords Jesus' birth with the first century pagan idea of mortals being impregnated by gods.
Moreover, Jesus also did not fulfill the Hebrew prophesies of who the messiah would be.
Specifically, the Bible says he will (all within his lifetime):
-Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
-Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
-Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
-Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world &#8213; on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).
Sorry, Jesus fails on all counts.
You've COME TO LATE TO FEED YOUR FICTION TO ANY ON ON THIS FORUM...

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#454435 Jun 20, 2013
940
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"to grace".
You're fundamentally dishonest or you're illiterate.
Either way, you just proved me right.
Grace:
charis: graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):--acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace(- ious), joy, liberality, pleasure, thank(-s,-worthy).

It does not say "full of grace"..

It does not say "sinless"..

It does not say "clean vessel"..

It does not say "virgin"..

It does not say "virgin evermore".

It does not say "immaculate conception"...

Any teachings to the contrary, which is what the Catholics do, is not Christian...and are lies..

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#454436 Jun 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
the awesome thing about being Catholic is that we don't need to bother researching stuff if we don't want to. I know its built on truth. Period..
There is something missing from your accusation; something you're leaving out. It reeks of deception.
I assure you, Catholicism does not deceive. If they let one lie in, then it all comes crashing down anyway.
you dont need to research things because your told what to believe.You church is built on lies and IS crashing down.You wanna know the truth than start with 1054 when your church separated from the Orthodox Church....Catholicism is the BIGGEST deceiver of ALL the churches of today! You guys should stop bragging and become more hunble.Your church was built on nothing but LIES AND EGO'S...have a nice day...(now thats the truth)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#454437 Jun 20, 2013
940
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine, Ox. Which Scriptures?
You're becoming as irrelevant as June. You guys just take up space on these pages. Scram.
These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#454438 Jun 20, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
You've COME TO LATE TO FEED YOUR FICTION TO ANY ON ON THIS FORUM...
How is it fiction? It's Jews interpreting their own texts.

Or do Christians suppose that they know the Hebrew texts better than the authors themselves?
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#454439 Jun 20, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>as I stated last night. the words" full of grace" are only used twice in the New testament. once in Acts and also in John.
the [correct] Greek words for "full of grace" are "plaras karitos". now you can accept that or your lies about other words that you allege mean "full of grace". I don't care. you were a liar and a deceiver ever since you appeared on this forum and to be honest, I never missed you while you were gone a few months ago.
well there are 20 versions of Luke 1:28 on Biblehub.com . The KJV says "Hail thou art that highly favored". Every single one of the 20 versions represented are different.(they do not show the Catholic or Orthodox versions)

Still, "Highly Favored" coming from God is no lite title.

So there you have it. Are you saying the KJV is the one that is inspirired and all the other ones are junk? There can only be one truth, so out of the 20 separate versions of Mary and Gabriell's encounter, which one is correct?

Here is a ton of reading on Our Lady. I warn you, there is allot of truth in this and you may want to consider the consequences shall you decide to deliberately ignore em!
www.catholic-pages.com/bmv/hahn.asp

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#454440 Jun 20, 2013
The Orthodox Church does not need the catholic church.The catholic church needs the Orthodox Church.Thats why the catholic church is changing some of their beliefs back to the Orthodox beliefs.ie..Mary may or may not have died before the Assumption,(Orthodox believe she did die)purgatory is not a specific place,(Orthodox does not believe in purgatory)etc.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#454441 Jun 20, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>you dont need to research things because your told what to believe.You church is built on lies and IS crashing down.You wanna know the truth than start with 1054 when your church separated from the Orthodox Church....Catholicism is the BIGGEST deceiver of ALL the churches of today! You guys should stop bragging and become more hunble.Your church was built on nothing but LIES AND EGO'S...have a nice day...(now thats the truth)
Well thank you Sera! You have a nice day too!
U are sounding more and more Protestant every time you log on. Perhaps you'd like to debate with your new friends, and we can watch them tear you apart like the wolves they are..

note: 954 AD the Bishop of Rome is the leader of Christendom.
1054 AD the Eastern Orthodox say 'ah not anymore'

So, the previous yrs you followed the Bishop of Rome's lead. Right? Its proven fact. Now, instead of a Pope, you follow the Patriarchs lead. Makes zero sense.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#454442 Jun 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
936
<quoted text>
If he following Scripture is not the Word of God...whose word is it!!!!
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Since the man of God is "perfect" "thoroughly furnished" by all scripture, inspired of God, unto good works....what else is necessary????!!!! How can he be more "perfect" more "thoroughly furnished"????!!!!
The Bible is sufficient...
The bible doesn't say the bible is sufficient.
The bible doesn't even say bible.
The bible doesn't have an insipred table of contents.
The Catholic Church decided what books made up the bible.
St. Paul was referring to the OT when he said this to St. Timothy because the NT wasn't written yet.
St. Paul says oral traditions are just as important.
The bible doesn't say all oral traditons were later recorded in the bible.

sola scriptura debunked.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#454443 Jun 20, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>you dont need to research things because your told what to believe.You church is built on lies and IS crashing down.You wanna know the truth than start with 1054 when your church separated from the Orthodox Church....Catholicism is the BIGGEST deceiver of ALL the churches of today! You guys should stop bragging and become more hunble.Your church was built on nothing but LIES AND EGO'S...have a nice day...(now thats the truth)
LMAO! You're going to have to do better than that, little girl. "Because I said so" isn't a valid argument. Besides I think your mother is calling you, something about homework.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#454444 Jun 20, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>you dont need to research things because your told what to believe.You church is built on lies and IS crashing down.You wanna know the truth than start with 1054 when your church separated from the Orthodox Church....Catholicism is the BIGGEST deceiver of ALL the churches of today! You guys should stop bragging and become more hunble.Your church was built on nothing but LIES AND EGO'S...have a nice day...(now thats the truth)
Your Patriarchs disagree with you.

Loose the hate Seraphima, it's not healthy for you or Herme.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#454445 Jun 20, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
The Orthodox Church does not need the catholic church.The catholic church needs the Orthodox Church.Thats why the catholic church is changing some of their beliefs back to the Orthodox beliefs.ie..Mary may or may not have died before the Assumption,(Orthodox believe she did die)purgatory is not a specific place,(Orthodox does not believe in purgatory)etc.
You're wrong.

"Following the announcement of Benedict XVI’s retirement, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, the chief hierarch of the Eastern Orthodox Churches, issued a statement expressing his profound respect and friendship to Benedict. Bartholomew honored Pope Benedict as an eminent theologian and reaffirmed his desire to keep dialogue open between Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christians “for the union of all.” Benedict and Bartholomew’s friendship has been marked by their common mission to restore Christian culture to Europe. The Russian Orthodox Church issued a similar statement thanking Benedict for his efforts to restore relations between the Vatican and the Moscow patriarchate.

Benedict XVI played an important role in modern efforts to heal the schism between the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches. Dialogue began in 1964 when Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I went together as pilgrims to Jerusalem. The work of restoring communion was renewed by Pope John Paul II and Patriarch Dimitrios I during the 1980s. Between 1980 and 2000 the Mixed Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church worked to find common ground that would lead to further unity. After a period of interruption, Benedict and Bartholomew reopened the work of the commission in 2007. Pope Benedict signed a joint statement with Patriarch Bartholomew in 2006 that renewed their commitment to building Christian unity and working together for the common good of humanity. Admittedly, progress has been slow—too slow for some critics, but then long histories of contention between alienated peoples take a lot of time to heal, Christian or not. Hasty reconciliation attempts between Rome and the Eastern Orthodox in the past did not prove successful. "

.......

" There is nothing like a common enemy to renew old alliances. Perhaps the best way forward for Catholics is to follow Benedict’s example and to befriend and cooperate with Orthodox Christians. United for the common good of defending Christian culture, this kind of ecumenism cannot fail to bear fruit and reestablish our fraternal bond. For all their differences, Catholics have much more in common with Orthodox believers than with Protestants. Orthodox and Catholics, alone, participate in the full sacramental life of the Church because of their common apostolic origins and traditions. Ut unum sint. "

About the Author
Christopher B. Warner

Christopher B. Warner, a former Marine Corps officer and veteran, is a graduate student of Orthodox theology at the Antiochian House of Studies. Christopher has a BA in Catholic theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio. He has worshipped with the Eastern Christian community since 2001, and currently serves as a cantor for his parish of St. George in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Christopher and his wife, Katy, are both teachers at Trinity Academy.

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/2037/...

Since: Nov 08

usa

#454446 Jun 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you addressing even the ones that are destined to go to hell???
According to Jehovah, are you holy ones supposed to mess with those who are "unclean???"
:)
I'm far from holy, I do mess with holy people though, point out the silliness of what they believe in.... I don't think you understand where i'm coming from with my posts. I do hypotheticals,as god actually exists and thinhgs like that then I ask to prove,what is ever posted,i play both sides of the card

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#454447 Jun 20, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
The Orthodox Church does not need the catholic church.The catholic church needs the Orthodox Church.Thats why the catholic church is changing some of their beliefs back to the Orthodox beliefs.ie..Mary may or may not have died before the Assumption,(Orthodox believe she did die)purgatory is not a specific place,(Orthodox does not believe in purgatory)etc.
FAIL! Geez, don't they teach you guys how to do proper research in school anymore? You should learn to control your temper while you're still young. Hissy fits are unattractive and unhealthy.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#454448 Jun 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're sending her on a snipe hunt.
How is she to know for sure the disposition of these souls?
"You're sending her on a snipe hunt."
- no I am not - I am only suggesting to the poster to research that which the poster "thinks" is true and what is not.

If the poster had any common sense, and had done prior research, they would have discovered that the "soul" has never been proven to exist.

This is when bias begins.

One must remove themselves from the bias in order to get the correct answers.

In other words, and through honesty, one should state that they won't know what happens to their "soul" until they die.

Anyone who says otherwise is not only arrogant, but ingnorant.

Thanks for responding.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#454449 Jun 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I am preaching that you are complaining, and since you are going to bed I have the final word ... at least until morning.
:)
what do I complain about exactly??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ladies, do u wear minis to get touched up or pu... (Nov '12) 1 min Lucy 1979 93
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 min X Pendable 184,665
The 13 impossible crises that humanity now faces 3 min Squirtyy7755 2
Gen. Mattis Is Trump's SecDef Pick. Why That Is... 7 min Kizz2938 2
Horny snapchat usernames 10 min Rider1043 82
The Orwellian War on Skepticism 14 min Desirezzzz4251 2
Quote of the Day: There's No Such Thing as Fact... 18 min Charm7665 2
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr karl44 87,900
The Future of Politics in America 2 hr Insults Are Easier 177
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Crushy9254 284,475
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 2 hr Dolly6807 447
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Spank9090 977,198
More from around the web