Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646454 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

truth

Huntingdale, Australia

#453635 Jun 18, 2013
Do you liked log from your neighbor?
'look log in your eyes'

Do you wish what belong to your brother..wife money property and so on..?
Religion A Delusion

Orlando, FL

#453636 Jun 18, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
See it's funny how you say nobody can really know anything, all the while believing you know everything. And funnier that your misunderstanding of Catholic matters leads you to think that the Church is confused or that God is confused.
The technique is called "projecting". A common way to ascribe your own deficiencies to someone else.
There is no way in the world that you are going to be able to see anything with your eyes taped shut. The least you could do is leave those people alone who actually have their eyes open and can see what's around them. That goes for all fanatical atheists and anti-catholics fundies.
Where do I ever say I know everything? That's your church's job. Nice try at spin, but I'm not the one claiming to know the answer to the greatest mystery in the universe.

I do not stand on a pedestal and judge all other churches as defective or worse. That's you and the article of this board states it plainly for all who can read.

One of the fundamental claims of your church is that it alone is given perfect teachings on faith and morals.

Teachings can be diced, sliced, and categorized. But no one can tell us which CC teachings fall into the category of "perfect."

It doesn't take a fanatic to ask a simple question.

It takes a fanatic NOT to ask. "Why doesn't my church put have a list of its "perfect teachings." It takes a fanatic to makes excuses for such nonsense.

Hope this helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_d...

At what level of "theological certainty" are you allowed to mock someone for being mistaken about a Catholic teaching?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#453637 Jun 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to argue...I don't
God is not the author of confusion.
You have his word before you .
Figure it out for your self.
Is asking you what you are trying to articulate an argument!!!!!

No!!!! I am wanting to understand what you are trying to say!!!! That is not an argument!!!!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453638 Jun 18, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course Catholics do NOT view themselves as worshipping anyone but God.
But some Protestants will never believe otherwise.
I believe the problem is two-fold.
#1... Nothing about any god can be proven, and #2... there is a difference of opinion on the definition of the word "worship."
Without looking, I'll wager that given a dictionary's exact definition of "worship," Catholics do in fact "worship" Mary.
Any takers?
Speaking of "without looking", I gave you a homework assignment to find the web location for Catholic teaching. How's that coming along?

Remember, among this crowd, you'd be "Research King" if you can cite that web location, and I'd accord you that title in all subsequent communications. Tempting, huh?

Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453639 Jun 18, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Does yours?
Kindly explain to me how Luther's rediscovery of the truth that God's grace IS A GIFT and cannot be EARNED in any whatsoever "caused of millions of souls being in jeopardy of eternal hell." My goodness, don't you think that always having to wonder whether one has done enough to "earn" salvation, not trusting Jesus to save you, puts a whole lot more souls in jeopardy of hell?
And what is this obsession you have with Luther's physical ailments and how 16th century people relieved themselves?
Just Sayin, I gotta hand it to you. I've been chatting online in one forum or another for many years now and I've seen a LOT of obscene or profane or vulgar posts, and quite a few which were all of those things. But I don't think I've EVER before seen a piece of filth like that coming from someone who claims to be a Christian. Do you save your used toilet paper and go around showing it off to family and friends too?
Oops, did I hit a nerve? What does your church teach about masturbation?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453640 Jun 18, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God...
That Scripture does not say that all have sinned??? Really!!! What, then, does it say!!!!
I'm not arguing with you on any point of scripture right now.

You and GIF are, however, having at each other on some point and I'm asking how such disputes are resolved in Protestantism.

GIF told you to open you bible and figure it out yourself, which I'm assuming you had already done or attempted to do prior to engaging GIF in your dialogue.

Religion A Delusion

Orlando, FL

#453641 Jun 18, 2013
dan wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
Thought you wouldn't be able to locate it.
You're GIF with better grammar.
Next.
No one can locate it? That is my point.

http://www.uscatholic.org/church/2011/05/ther...

"There is no set list of ex cathedra teachings, but that’s because there are only two, and both are about Mary:"

But wait! http://www.catholic.com/tracts/papal-infallib...

"The infallibility of the pope is not a doctrine that suddenly appeared in Church teaching; rather, it is a doctrine which was implicit in the early Church."

There were many Papal decrees that were deemed infallible before 1870. But many proved embarrassing, so the definition was changed and everything was set straight.

The absurd notion that God wants things to work this way -- with such a lack of integrity -- is one I simply cannot understand, and why should I, or anyone else?

The CC has had 2000 years to make its case. Today, 95% of humanity say something is wrong. No duh!
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#453642 Jun 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing. John 3:16 stands up.
If that one line was the basis for protestant belief, there'd be maybe 20 protestant denominations rather than the tens of thousands extant now.
I simply am trying to ascertain the basis for ministerial authority in Protestantism.
One protestant with 60+ years of bible study just told me that there never has been any Earthly authority to teach Jesus' message.
There are theological and '
CHRISTIAN colleges.

And men called to be pastors ..but we as believers endowed by the Spirit can ascertain wheat from the chaff.

For me I pray for truth in all I read and hear.

And I sm nit all knowing by any means ..but if something is directly contrary to scripture.

I leave or change the channel or put down the book. One thing about kindle ..you can get samples before you buy.

And my Oe. Theology on basics comes right from your church ..but relying on Gods word..with the help of the Spirit ..you will not falter no matter who is in the pulpit.

SOME DOGMA just dies not ring true.

But if you use John 3:16 as your measuring stick..In the end God will sort out the differences.

I think he will laugh at some of it others probably grieve Him

Imo
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453643 Jun 18, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Where might we find the verse Paul tells us "tradition" is profitable? Where might we find the verse Paul tells us anything other than Scripture is profitable?
<quoted text>
Just Sayin do you have a Bible? Here is the Scripture you say you quoted above.
II Thessalonians 2:13-14, 13 "But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits* to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. 14 To this he called you through our gospel, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ."
NOT ONCE did Jesus speak well about traditions, Neither did Paul as he said in Colossians 2:8 “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, AND NOT AFTER CHRIST.” He said to” let the word of God dwell in you richly.” It is the word of God that is living and active (Heb.4:12) to change one from the inside, traditions can never be a alternative or of equal value to what God has spoken and written down for all generations to live by.
Gee, is your memory really that bad? Scripture about holding fast to tradition has been posted again and again.
Well, here it is. Again.

2 Thessalonians 3:6
And we charge you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother walking disorderly, and not according to the tradition which they have received of us.

2 Thessalonians 2:14
Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle.

It has been explained before that the "traditions" that Jesus condemned were the customs of the levitical law which, since Jesus came, were not necessary anymore.
The "tradition" which the verses speak of above is the tradition of Christianity. Which, by the way, had not been neatly compiled into a Bible yet at the time of the writings of the various NT books.

And don't be so lame as to ask me if I have a Bible. Where do you think I got the above verses?

Location hidden

#453644 Jun 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Oxbow"
For awhile there I thought we were on the same planet....
Show me Scripture in the Bible that teaches Christ lived on earth for some 33 years as the incarnate Son of God, was crucified, died, buried, and ascended into Heaven, before the NT....
You don't know how these things were accomplished in God's timetable. Scripture says that Jesus was CRUCIFIED BEFORE THE WORLD BEGAN.
We can't 'see' it all, but He still said that He was before Abraham. He also said that 'Abraham desired to see My day, and he saw it, and was glad.'
He walked in the fiery furnace with the Hebrew children. He followed them in the wilderness as their Rock. Scripture tells us all this and more.
He IS GOD, you know...
KayMarie
So then you cannot show me Scripture that teaches Christ lived on earth for some 33 years as the incarnate Son of God, was crucified, died, buried, and ascended into Heaven, before the NT...

Christ was never crucified anywhere but as told in the NT...it was foretold...it was prophesied...but that is not the same as Him actually being crucified...

While on earth He was the incarnate Son of God...so says Scripture...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453645 Jun 18, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
No one can locate it? That is my point.
http://www.uscatholic.org/church/2011/05/ther...
"There is no set list of ex cathedra teachings, but that’s because there are only two, and both are about Mary:"
But wait! http://www.catholic.com/tracts/papal-infallib...
"The infallibility of the pope is not a doctrine that suddenly appeared in Church teaching; rather, it is a doctrine which was implicit in the early Church."
There were many Papal decrees that were deemed infallible before 1870. But many proved embarrassing, so the definition was changed and everything was set straight.
The absurd notion that God wants things to work this way -- with such a lack of integrity -- is one I simply cannot understand, and why should I, or anyone else?
The CC has had 2000 years to make its case. Today, 95% of humanity say something is wrong. No duh!
Nope-neither source is the repository for church teaching.

Darn.

I wanted you to be "Research King" very badly, and you now still have to wallow in "I can only locate stuff that supports my predetermined conclusions"-ville.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453647 Jun 18, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing :) Jesus did it ALL! Truly, God's grace IS amazing, isn't it??
I wholeheartedly agree that Luther's life-changing revelation was through the Holy Spirit. But I don't know exactly where or when this happened to him. I know he DID make a pilgrimage to Rome when he was very young, and did crawl up those famous steps. But while that would make for great drama :) I'm not sure he left a record of exactly where & when, only that it was sudden, and changed everything for him :)
Luther's "life changing revelation happened" while he sat on the toilet trying to pinch a loaf.

"A somewhat cryptic remark in one of Luther's personal recollections has been the subject of much interest. Luther wrote of being granted his theological insight in a room identified by the Latin abbreviation cl. What could this mean? One obvious interpretation would be that the abbreviation is to be understood as cloaca a semipolite Latin term for "latrine" or "privy." "
http://www.poopreport.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php...

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#453648 Jun 18, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a forum ... not a church. I escaped religion and am now free of it.
I am here to give others words that will also free them from religion if they so choose to leave.

If they don't, that is their choice, but at least I know I tried my best to help them out the mental bondage and confusion from which I suffered for so many years and now realize that what I was fed was based on nothing but the fantasies of theologians.
"Free"?? Are you kidding? June, you are OBSESSED with religion! My gosh, your post count is OVER 55,000 :s Now, I realize part of that was probably accumulated on threads other than this one, but given that this particular thread is one of the longest on all of topix.com , I don't think that's a coincidence.

"Free," indeed. You're so ensnared in your own bitterness and hurt that you've been trying to work through them here on this thread for years, and very likely other places too. I'd say for every single post of all the other postwriters here combined, there's one from YOU.

Somewhere in your life you were hurt, very deeply hurt, by something connected to a church. I can sympathize with that, because I had an extremely painful experience of my own when I was a teenager. And as a matter of fact, I don't know of ANYONE who has not had at least one such wound. My own husband had a pretty bad one, long before I met him, at the church we both later attended as a married couple for many years.

June, your mistake is blaming Jesus for the faults of His followers. Disillusionment can be crushingly painful; finding out that even devout Christians can and do still royally screw up hurts when you're used to looking up to them.

People will always disappoint you, June, and Jesus Himself knew that. That's why He died for all people, everywhere. HE was hurt too, y'know. His friends were often idiots, and one of them sold Him for money. Nevertheless, He still loved them.

June, your pain screams through every word you write, but in blaming Jesus for it and turning your back on Him you are "throwing out the baby with the bathwater." Isn't it time you told Jesus Himself how much you're hurting? People will let you down, June, but HE never will.

I wish you peace, June.

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#453649 Jun 18, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
We as Catholics don't own this forum but the title only confirms and reaffirms for us as followers and disciples to protect, defend and uphold the TRUTH of Jesus Christs One (and only one) TRUE Church that has existed for over 2000 years... The Catholic Church has been the bedrock, the pinnacle, the pillar and the foundation of the TRUTH with Jesus as the light and beacon of that TRUTH throughout history. The Catholic Church has also been under attack since the time of Jesus Christ by heretics, bigots, hypoocrites, atheists and agnostics. They have all "come and gone" for over 2000 years---YET-----THE CHURCH LIVES ON! and will CONTINUE to LIVE ON despite those who are on this forum with the "sole purpose" of attempting to undermine it!!
Your conflicting Catholic dogmas undermine the validity of the church.

If you can't see their lies, you choose to be blind TO the lies, and that onus is on you.

Your slovenly laziness to think outside of your cult is nothing of which to be proud.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453650 Jun 18, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
There are theological and '
CHRISTIAN colleges.
And men called to be pastors ..but we as believers endowed by the Spirit can ascertain wheat from the chaff.
For me I pray for truth in all I read and hear.
And I sm nit all knowing by any means ..but if something is directly contrary to scripture.
I leave or change the channel or put down the book. One thing about kindle ..you can get samples before you buy.
And my Oe. Theology on basics comes right from your church ..but relying on Gods word..with the help of the Spirit ..you will not falter no matter who is in the pulpit.
SOME DOGMA just dies not ring true.
But if you use John 3:16 as your measuring stick..In the end God will sort out the differences.
I think he will laugh at some of it others probably grieve Him
Imo
Suppose two men matriculate from the same Bible college, and they both go to the same town to set up their respective ministries.

Rev. A is appointed Pastor at First Bible Church.

Rev. B. is appointed Pastor at Second Bible Church ten blocks away.

Thus, both congregations have declared these men to have sufficient authority to minister to their churches.

One Sunday, Rev. A and Rev. B, preaching on the same scripture, contradict themselves in their conclusions.

Who decides who is "wheat" and who is "chaff", and are their congregations similarly declared "wheat" and "chaff" by them having placed these men in their Pastoral positions to begin with?

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#453651 Jun 18, 2013
LTM wrote:
"Why was Israel cursed with forty years of wilderness wandering?"
How silly!
Religion A Delusion

Orlando, FL

#453652 Jun 18, 2013
Definition of WORSHIP:

"reverence and devotion offered a divine being or supernatural power; also; an act of expressing such reverence."

Do catholics claim Mary is a divine being?

Do Catholics offer Mary reverence and devotion?

In Catholic myth, does devotion to Mary save souls?

The answers are Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Given the definition of the word "worship," do Catholics worship Mary?

Of course. Maybe not in the same way as Jesus, but worship nevertheless.

Shameful. Idol worship. Yikes!!!

If it weren't all imaginary, wouldn't some god have made it more clear?
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453653 Jun 18, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. Always hate the subject because people forget these criminals are men. And they can be on every walk of life.
But the closing of these mostly poor parishes and selling off the buildings...is bad.
And why doesn't. ROME ..if it id ONE church make up the shortfall that may have come from these payments and ghd econmoy.
Those people noe have to take hisses or go all the way 3cities away to find home churches.
we have menu people of different languages. Down here and these local parishes were their home.
The CC is kn the very position with a central head to help them. Imo.
You could write the Vatican with your suggestions.

Papal E-mail/Fax/Phone:

The Vatican Press Office is considered the "official" means of email contact for the Holy Father. The following email address does gain a response.

e-mail: [email protected]
phone:+390669881022
fax:+390669885373

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#453654 Jun 18, 2013
who="Dan"
Your wife made the analogy. Not me.
....and Christ assuredly DID impart His authority to Earthy teachers. Remember "the Apostles"? Ring any bells?
Better sign up for another 60 year hitch of bible study, GIF. Looks like you haven't made it through the NT yet.

You haven't even started on the Bible, Dan. You are still in Catholicism 101.

KM

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#453655 Jun 18, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Luther's "life changing revelation happened" while he sat on the toilet trying to pinch a loaf.

"A somewhat cryptic remark in one of Luther's personal recollections has been the subject of much interest. Luther wrote of being granted his theological insight in a room identified by the Latin abbreviation cl. What could this mean? One obvious interpretation would be that the abbreviation is to be understood as cloaca a semipolite Latin term for "latrine" or "privy." "
http://www.poopreport.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php...
Who cares? I often pray when I'm sitting on the toilet. Why shouldn't Luther have had this life-changing revelation then?

Boy, you really ARE fascinated by Luther's bodily functions, aren't you? I think you have what's called an "anal fixation," Just Sayin. Therapy might help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min Exorcist 48,324
What attracts white women to black men? (Mar '07) 17 min mana92mo 11,533
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 18 min DENG 38,748
Things poping up while i was sitting on my dads... (Jun '11) 28 min Suckcockluver 65
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 35 min Bongo 971,615
first gay experience? (Sep '14) 1 hr Gravywizard54 30
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr KellyP_Onuandher 2,021
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Freebird USA 182,639
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 4 hr RiccardoFire 44,652
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 12 hr Annaleigh 105,560
More from around the web