Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
437,301 - 437,320 of 538,793 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453344 Jun 17, 2013
Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>June. Have you lost your mind? There's no monster under the bed.
Well I really don't care, as my bed doesn't have legs.

I had them cut off just in case all those rumors were true.

:)
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#453345 Jun 17, 2013
I see "someone" thinks St. Cyprian was wrong. Talk about pride! LOLOL......
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#453346 Jun 17, 2013
St. Cyprian was martyred for the Christian faith in the year 258 A.D.

I would have to assume the "person" who thinks he was wrong would also be willing to undergo martyrdom for their faith.

Don't be shy, speak up!! Tell us why YOU know better than St. Cyprian.

:):):)

Since: Nov 08

usa

#453347 Jun 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It's any body's guess if Einstein's theory that past, present and future are one ... and we may never know one way or the other.
Belief can't grab and hang on to certainty. That's why I am comfortable with confusion. To be confused means that I've been paying attention.
If you're not confused, you're not paying attention
Tom Peters
this is true, ever think about how many different theories are out there? I thought about the theory after I posted what I did, and Einstein got mad at me because my pc burned out right after I posted it, had to go out and buy new one, anyway I have to disagree that past present future are one, it does not compute right now,a little research needs to be done.
Anthony MN

United States

#453348 Jun 17, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I firmly believe that Mary was not profoundly retarded nor Ancephalic (whatever that is). She knew she was a sinner...she expressed thankfulness for her Savior...sinless people do not need a Savior..
Sin: Any thought, word, desire, action, or omission of action, contrary to the law of God, or defective when compared with it.
I firmly believe that a baby is incapable of any thought, word, desire, action, or omission of action, contrary to the law of God, or defective when compared with it.
Sinless people don't need a Saviour.

Mentally handicapped and babies are sinless.

Therefore, the mentally handicapped and babies don't need a Saviour.

Does about sum up your argument?

Since: Nov 08

usa

#453349 Jun 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If a god exists and supports places of worship as "his" supposed holy centers ... then what occurs IN those places should be of HOLY essence.
Those teaching and preaching religion are simply mortal humans with absolutely no purity in them whatsoever ... but rather just spewing a lot of hot air in the quest to impress others.
Religion is BUNK!
I agree, not one person in any religious group of any kind, is of any holy nature, they are just john smith's off the street who have the gift of gab.
Clay

United States

#453350 Jun 17, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
St. Cyprian's writings are of great importance, especially his treatise on The Unity of the Catholic Church in which he argues that unity is grounded in the authority of the bishop, and among the bishops, in the primacy of the See of Rome.
On September 14, 258 he was martyred during the persecutions of the emperor Valerian.
In, "The Unity of the Catholic Church," St. Cyprian writes, "You cannot have God for your Father if you do not have the Church for your mother.... God is one and Christ is one, and his Church is one; one is the faith, and one is the people cemented together by harmony into the strong unity of a body.... If we are the heirs of Christ, let us abide in the peace of Christ; if we are the sons of God, let us be lovers of peace."
St. Cyprian's Feast Day - September 16
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resources/c...
Good stuff Regina. Why would a serious Christian ignore the early writings of the Church? It makes no sense...other than, it gets harder and harder to defend the evangelical born again movement,s opinion on scripture.
so if you're an evangelical born again, you pretty much have to ignore the first 1,800 yrs of Christian truths

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#453351 Jun 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The "Sola Scriptura" believer should see "only" expressed, vs. implying it or adding to scripture. That's bad, right? Adding to scripture?
Message: the main point, moral, or meaning of something, as of a book or work of art.

Thou shalt not steal..

Message....it is a sin to steal...because it breaks the Commandment ...and when you break a Commandment, you are guilty of breaking all of them..

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#453352 Jun 17, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, really.
We are saved by grace alone, but not by faith alone. Or don't you know you foolish person that faith without works is dead (James 2:20)?
Here is James 2:20 in context:

James 2:14 What good is it...if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them,“Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say,“You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds...

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says,“Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

...26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Note the word "claims" in verse 14. "If someone CLAIMS to have faith," James says, not "If he DOES have faith."

Certainly faith without works is dead. Works are the visible evidence of faith, the FRUIT of faith. But THEY CANNOT SAVE YOU. No animal sacrifices, no founding of hospitals, no praying all day, no charitable donations, no refraining from sex or alcohol--NOTHING saves except GOD'S GRACE, given freely to anyone who has FAITH in Jesus ALONE to save him or her.

If that were not so Jesus would not have said this:

John 14:6 Jesus answered,“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if now you zero in on verse 22, where it says that "Abraham's faith WAS MADE COMPLETE BY WHAT HE DID." So I'll address that right away: his faith WAS MADE COMPLETE by his deeds. But it was HIS FAITH which pleased God and which was credited to him as righteousness.

The meaning of the passage for us today is summed up in the immortal words:

"Walk the walk, don't just talk the talk."

And let me correct a misunderstanding here and now: it is NOT our FAITH which saves us. It is GOD'S GRACE, given to us through our faith in His Son Jesus, and for His sake. This is a subtle distinction, but an important one. After all, a Muslim or Buddhist or Hindu might have all the faith in the world, but they are still damned, BECAUSE THEIR FAITH IS NOT BASED ON JESUS CHRIST.

By the way, you misquoted verse 20. The verse you quoted is actually verse 17.

Location hidden

#453353 Jun 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You pasted the definition that said "advantageous" or similar.
That's not the same as "sufficient" in English OR Greek.
When you are perfect, thoroughly furnished, by all scripture, inspired of God, unto good works....that is sufficient...

Unless you are a Catholic...they need more than Scripture, which according to Scripture makes a Catholic not "a man of God"...

And since he is not a man of God...there is only one other power he could be a man of...the devil..

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#453354 Jun 17, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
St. Cyprian was martyred for the Christian faith in the year 258 A.D.
I would have to assume the "person" who thinks he was wrong would also be willing to undergo martyrdom for their faith.
Don't be shy, speak up!! Tell us why YOU know better than St. Cyprian.
:):):)
~~~

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

~~~

None of the Roman Catholics on this forum...show the above...attributes

they only love those that belong to their cult...

They bar those that do not agree with them them from any Christian

activity upon the earth...

An evangelical minister is blackballed if he is not under the bondage of Catholicism and deemed less than nothing.

Yet they embrace just about every religious sect besides (so call) protestants

The antichrist message that has been given here..multiple TIMES

by Roman Catholics is...

"All religions are just different ships headed for the same island"

THERE IS NOT A BIGGER LIE,,,, OUT OF THE PITS ,,,,OF HELL ....THAT COULD BE TOLD!....

JESUS SAID

Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

NOTE ..THEY DESPISE LUTHER...BUT DARE NOT SAY ANYTHING AGAINST MOHAMED...
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#453355 Jun 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Good stuff Regina. Why would a serious Christian ignore the early writings of the Church? It makes no sense...other than, it gets harder and harder to defend the evangelical born again movement,s opinion on scripture.
so if you're an evangelical born again, you pretty much have to ignore the first 1,800 yrs of Christian truths
Yes, it is good stuff. The Catholic Church has such spiritual riches, there's such depth for all to explore who have not just the mind for it, but the soul.
Sadly, it's not only the fundies who feel the need to deny their own heritage and proclaim themselves master. Very sadly. Evidently, do-it-yourselfism is highly contagious. It's pride.

Location hidden

#453356 Jun 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What if you aren't correct either?
All three of you claim to be led by the HS when you interpret scripture. One or none of you can be correct.
Who decides who is correct? Draft a 4th self-taught bible scholar into the mix?
you can't be 100% sure which is which, but by what they are saying as compared to Scripture, you can be 99.9% sure which is which...if you are led by the Holy Spirit...

A dime to a doughnut says you will deny being a son of God...if you say you are, I will make the same bet that you cannot prove your answer from Scripture.

From your response, a son of God, you are not...
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#453357 Jun 17, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
~~~
An evangelical minister is blackballed if he is not under the bondage of Catholicism and deemed less than nothing.
by Roman Catholics is...
THERE IS NOT A BIGGER LIE,,,, OUT OF THE PITS ,,,,OF HELL ....THAT COULD BE TOLD!....
JESUS SAID
Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Who is your neighbor?

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453358 Jun 17, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>this is true, ever think about how many different theories are out there? I thought about the theory after I posted what I did, and Einstein got mad at me because my pc burned out right after I posted it, had to go out and buy new one, anyway I have to disagree that past present future are one, it does not compute right now,a little research needs to be done.
But I was certain Einstein HAD done that research before he gave his theoretical opinion that past present and future are one.

Are YOU planning to upstage Einstein with your theory?

This ought to be entertaining.

I really enjoy upstaged theories.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453359 Jun 17, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
you can be 99.9% sure which is which...if you are led by the Holy Spirit...
Holy smoke-screen!!!

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453360 Jun 17, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church has such spiritual riches,
Was that before or after they burned others at the stake and stole their properties by order of a supposed god???

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453361 Jun 17, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
~~~
by Roman Catholics is...
JESUS SAID
You forgot to post the OTHER half of the bible.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453362 Jun 17, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, not one person in any religious group of any kind, is of any holy nature, they are just john smith's off the street who have the gift of gab.
They use scriptures as charm bracelets in hopes of impressing others with their supposed knowledge.

"It says in this scripture ... blah, blah blah."

"You read it wrong. It means ... blah, blah blah blah blah."

"No it doesn't. It means ... blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah."
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#453363 Jun 17, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is James 2:20 in context:
I see, so you're a robot and are forced to do good works.

It's not either/or, it's both/and. We are justified by faith and works, NOT by faith alone. Luther removed the word "not" from Sacred Scripture. If I were you, I would meditate on *that* for a while and leave the bible study for another day. Try praying Scripture for a change instead of analyzing it all the time. Lectio Divna.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 5 min Just TLC 4,330
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min Chareeen Shil 257,854
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min It aint necessari... 732,742
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 1 hr Falcon 732
John Holmes(white man)had biggest penis in history (Dec '08) 1 hr Dominick_Fontana 65
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr MUQ1 36,740
Dance Music 1 hr andet1987 7
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Thinking 226,248
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Black Thunder 42 599,834
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 hr bacon hater 94,645
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••