Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646675 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#453595 Jun 18, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
And what does that have to do with Him building His church?????
God did not build his church upon a pebble called Peter/Cephas..

but upon the Rock Christ Jesus...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453596 Jun 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU WROTE
Protestantism differs from Catholicism in that it teaches that there is no ministerial authority that can teach a definitive interpretation of scripture.
WHY DO YOU LIE ON US...
WE DO NOT SAY that there is NO ministerial authority that can teach a definitive interpretation of scripture.
We deny the authority of your pope...
and take the words if JESUS .
JESUS SAID
Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
Joh 16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine:
therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
YOU ACT AS IF YOUR pope IS THE HOLY SPIRIT...
the Islamic s say the Mohammad is...
the Bible further says ...
___
Joh_14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
___
1Jn 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
1Jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
1Jn 2:28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
1Jn 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.
Jesus is not here on Earth, GIF.

Given this, who could now come in and authoritatively settle an issue of biblical interpretation betwixt you and Oxbow?

Such a person would have "ministerial authority". Who is this person in your theology?

Location hidden

#453597 Jun 18, 2013
<quoted text>
QUESTION...
WHAT DID JESUS MEAN WHEN HE SAID...
Joh 8:54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:
Joh 8:55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.
Joh 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
Joh 8:57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
Joh 8:58 ---> Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. <---
Joh 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
Exactly what he meant to say...
~~~~
GREAT DODGE...
JESUS EXISTED BEFORE THE WORLD WAS..
Heb 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
Have no idea what you are trying to articulate...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453598 Jun 18, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture does..
Example: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God..
A Catholic will say that is wrong...Mary was sinless..
I say...Mary was a sinner...same as you and I...per Scripture...
Well, no, it doesn't, as the difference stems from your duelling interpretations of scripture.

Either one protestant is correct or neither are correct. How is this determined?

Location hidden

#453599 Jun 18, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you do worship statues and in your example you call it a Eucharist. Jesus nor the apostles NEVER told you or anyone else to worship a cracker.
They worship Mary....

POPE PRAYER TO MARY.

Pope John Paul bowing before a statue of Mary in worship.

On May 7 Pope John Paul II dedicated his general audience to "the Virgin Mary" and urged all Christians to accept Mary as their mother. He noted the words spoken by Jesus on the cross to Mary and to John--"Woman, behold thy son!" and "Behold thy mother!" (John 19:26,27), and he claimed that in this statement "IT IS POSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND THE AUTHENTIC MEANING OF MARIAN WORSHIP in the ecclesial community ... which furthermore is based on the will of Christ" (Vatican Information Service, May 7, 1997).

John Paul II underlined that "the history of Christian piety teaches that MARY IS THE PATH THAT LEADS TO CHRIST, and that filial devotion to her does not at all diminish intimacy with Jesus, but rather, it increases it and leads it to very high levels of perfection." He concluded by asking all Christians "to make room (for Mary) in their daily lives, ACKNOWLEDGING HER PROVIDENTIAL ROLE IN THE PATH OF SALVATION"
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453600 Jun 18, 2013
who="Dan"
KM-
This reply to Oxbow's post illustrates my question to Mr. GIF (and you by extension, as he just ascribed roughly 60 years of bible study to you).
Two protestants are differing on a biblical issue-both believe they are correct.
Both lean exclusively on their Bibles to inform their positions.
Who decides who is correct?
Dan...such matters can be viewed as our public education. No one expects a first grader to have answers that the 12th grader has 'discovered' in his years of study. Eventually, if he continues, the first grader will become a 'graduate' student.
As Christians, if we continue our search in the Word, and in our fellowship with HIM, He will teach us what is 'true'.
The problem is that some students 'give up the chase', and quit school; or are lazy, and just don't do their homework.
Catholics tend to study Catholicism, NOT the Bible. Other sects do this also. It is difficult to talk with a Jehovah's Witness, for they have a program that encourages memorization of scriptures that 'fit' their dogma. If you happen on one of those, the JW has you in a corner. His mind is fixed, and we usually don't know his 'points' well enough to 'stand' in an argument. But if you get on 'living' subjects, he does not understand, and cannot discuss them.
I once talked with one of them, telling him about what God has done for ME. He had tears in his eyes.
The Holy Spirit is THE Teacher, and if you wish to know who is 'right', just stick with the Teacher.
KayMarie
Your analogy doesn't really pass muster here.

In Public Education, the teacher has the authority. Clearly defined. The student does not draw their own conclusions from the study material and grant themselves an "A+" without fear of appeal. The degree of their successful assimilation of the lessons taught is subject to the authority of the teacher.
truth

Huntingdale, Australia

#453601 Jun 18, 2013
Your Creator created you on own image..don't be afraid who ever ad anything.
Your Creator created you that you can created too.Don't be afraid.

#453602 Jun 18, 2013
<quoted text>
God did not build his church upon a pebble called Peter/Cephas..
but upon the Rock Christ Jesus...
~~~
confronting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
Ode to Peter the Pebble..
Skipped a pebble across the sea.

One that walked on Galilee,

The stone that sank,

when he did dare

Was only saved by Jesus

there.
~~~

If Jesus Christ... had not reached down,
picked Peter up...
and set Him back upon the water ...

He would have drowned.
~~~
If Jesus does not reach down and pull us out of our sins
we will go to hell..

Peter (the pebble) could not save himself...and he certainly cannot save us..

Peter (the Pebble) has nothing to do with our personal relationship with God...

GIF
Reminds me of this old song in our hymn book;

When He Reached Down

Once my soul was astray from the heavenly way
I was wretched and blind as could be
But my Savior in love gave me peace from above
When he reached down his hand for me

When the Savior reached down for me
I was lost and undone without God or his Son

How my heart does rejoice when I hear his sweet voice
In a tempest to him I can cling
I can lean on his arm safe and sure from all harm
When he reaches down his hand for me

When the Savior reached down for me
I was lost and undone without God or his Son
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#453603 Jun 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
This should be easy enough, JG.
Please cite Catholic teaching (from the Catechism, as that's where the teachings are) where instruction is given to accord divine worship to any save God, specifically to carved images.
Failing this, I'll expect you to recant your statements here.
Deal?
I am glad you brought this up not enough is said about it it really deals with our faith in what God says.

"Why is a bronze serpent used to save the Israelites in Numbers 21:8-9?"

Throughout the wilderness wanderings of the Israelites, God was constantly teaching them things about Himself and about their own sinfulness. He brought them into the wilderness, to the same mountain where He revealed Himself to Moses, so that He could instruct them in what He required of them. Shortly after the amazing events at Mt. Sinai, God brought them to the border of the Promised Land, but when the people heard the reports from the spies, their faith failed. They said that God could not overcome the giants in the land. As a result of this unbelief, God sent them into the wilderness to wander until that generation died out (Numbers 14:28-34).

In Numbers 21, the people again got discouraged, and in their unbelief they murmured against Moses for bringing them into the wilderness. They had already forgotten that it was their own sin that caused them to be there, and they tried to blame Moses for it. As a judgment against the people for their sin, God sent poisonous serpents into the camp, and people began to die. This showed the people that they were the ones in sin, and they came to Moses to confess that sin and ask for God's mercy. When Moses prayed for the people, God instructed him to make a bronze serpent and put it on a pole so the people could be healed (Numbers 21:5-7).

God was teaching the people something about faith. It is totally illogical to think that looking at a bronze image could heal anyone from snakebite, but that is exactly what God told them to do. It took an act of faith in God's plan for anyone to be healed, and the serpent on the stick was a reminder of their sin which brought about their suffering. There is no connection between this serpent and the serpent which Satan spoke through in the Garden of Eden. This serpent was symbolic of the serpents God used to chastise the people for their unbelief

cont

Location hidden

#453604 Jun 18, 2013
Someone said that Jesus didn't show up until the New Testament?
The following is what HE has to say about it (and there are more scriptures that show that He is eternal).
Joh 8:58 ---> Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. <---
KayMarie
For awhile there I thought we were on the same planet....

Show me Scripture in the Bible that teaches Christ lived on earth for some 33 years as the incarnate Son of God, was crucified, died, buried, and ascended into Heaven, before the NT....

#453605 Jun 18, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Have no idea what you are trying to articulate...
You want to argue...I don't

God is not the author of confusion.

You have his word before you .

Figure it out for your self.

#453606 Jun 18, 2013
who="Dan"
Well, no, it doesn't, as the difference stems from your duelling interpretations of scripture.
Either one protestant is correct or neither are correct. How is this determined?

Either one Protestant, OR the Catholic is correct...or maybe neither are correct.
Don't say that it is the Catholic for he is the Vicar of Christ. Being authorized by the CC is not more valid than being authorized by Jesus Himself. He IS still alive, you know...and can handle His kingdom quite well.

KayMarie
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#453607 Jun 18, 2013
cont
A couple of additional lessons are taught in the Bible regarding this bronze serpent. The people did get healed when they looked at the serpent, and the image was kept for many years. Many years later, when the Israelites were in the Promised Land, the serpent became an object of worship (2 Kings 18:4). This shows how easy it is for us to take the things of God and twist them into idolatry. We must never worship the tools or the people God chooses to use, but always bring the honor and glory to God alone.

The next reference we find in the Bible to this serpent is in John 3:14. Jesus indicated that this bronze serpent was a foreshadowing of Him. The serpent, a symbol of sin and judgment, was lifted up from the earth and put on a tree, which was a symbol of a curse (Galatians 3:13). The serpent lifted up and cursed symbolized Jesus, who takes away sin from everyone who would look to Him in faith, just like the Israelites had to look to the upraised symbol in the wilderness. Paul is reminding the Galatians that Jesus became a curse for us, although He was blameless and sinless—the spotless Lamb of God.“God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God”(2 Corinthians 5:21).

www.gotquestions.org

Location hidden

#453608 Jun 18, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
The verse said "ALL have sinned". That includes ALL, ALL babies, ALL retardeds, ALL toddlers, and it also includes Jesus then, right?
That's what "ALL" means.
I do not believe that Jesus, babies, toddlers, have the capabilities to sin.. as in: Any thought, word, desire, action, or omission of action, contrary to the law of God, or defective when compared with it.

However...I am certain Mary did have the capabilities and was a sinner...she was thankful for her Savior...sinless people do not need a Savior...

As you are currently attesting...there are degrees of retardation..so I can't speak about their capabilities...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453609 Jun 18, 2013
who="Dan"
Either one Protestant, OR the Catholic is correct...or maybe neither are correct.
Don't say that it is the Catholic for he is the Vicar of Christ. Being authorized by the CC is not more valid than being authorized by Jesus Himself. He IS still alive, you know...and can handle His kingdom quite well.
KayMarie
KM-

You're deflecting here. I don't have an issue with ministerial authority as it pertains to the meaning of scripture. The Church interprets scripture.

Protestant authority is the matter here.

Mr. GIF and Oxbow are having at it right now.

Mr. GIF just told Oxbow to open his Bible and figure it out for himself. That's what Oxbow had ALREADY DONE, and now there's a interpretive dispute over scripture on the table that neither can resolve.

Who can tell Mr. GIF and Oxbow what the teaching is?
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#453610 Jun 18, 2013
"Why was Israel cursed with forty years of wilderness wandering?"

Answer:“Wilderness wandering” refers to the plight of the Israelites due to their disobedience and unbelief. Nearly 3,500 years ago, the Lord delivered His people from Egyptian bondage as described in Exodus, chapters 1–12. They were to take possession of the land God had promised their forefathers, a land “flowing with milk and honey”(Exodus 3:8). Prior to entry, however, they became convinced they could not oust the current inhabitants of the land, even though God told them they could. Their lack of belief in God’s word and promises brought forth the wrath of God. He cursed them with forty years of wilderness wandering until the unbelieving generation died off, never stepping foot in the Promised Land.

A seven-year famine was responsible for God’s chosen people ending up in Egypt. Initially, they flourished under the leadership of Joseph, number two in charge of the country after Pharaoh.“Then a new king, who did not know about Joseph, came to power in Egypt”(Exodus 1:8), and soon,“the Egyptians came to dread the Israelites”(Exodus 1:12). For the next several centuries they enslaved by the Egyptians who “worked them ruthlessly”(Exodus 1:13). Eventually, God heard their cries (Exodus 2:23-25) and sent Moses and Aaron to rescue them. After enduring the last of the ten plagues—the death of the firstborn males—Pharaoh finally agreed to release the Israelites.

Upon their arrival at Kadesh Barnea, which bordered the Promised Land of Canaan, they sent out twelve spies to survey the land and its people (Numbers 13:18-25). They returned after forty days of exploration. Ten of the spies had a bad report:“We can’t attack those people; they are stronger than we are…All the people we saw were of great size…We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes”(Numbers 13:31-33). Only Joshua and Caleb dissented (Numbers 14:6-7). Believing the report of the ten doubters, the people lost heart and rebelled. They “raised their voices and wept aloud,” grumbling against Moses and Aaron saying “If only we had died in Egypt! Or in this desert! Why is the LORD bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword”(Numbers 14:1-2, emphasis added).

Then the Lord said to Moses,“How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the miraculous signs I have performed among them? I will strike them down with a plague and destroy them”(Numbers 14:11). However, Moses once again interceded for his people and turned away the wrath of God (Numbers 14:13-20). Although God did forgive them, He decided that “not one of them will ever see the land I promised on oath to their forefathers. No one who has treated me with contempt will ever see it”(Numbers 14:23). Rather, they would suffer by wandering in the wilderness for forty years, one year for each of the forty days they explored the land (Numbers 14:34). Furthermore, God would give them what they asked for:“I will do the very things I heard you say: In this desert your bodies will fall, every one of you twenty years old or more”(Numbers 14:28-29). Additionally, the ten men who had given the bad report were struck down and died of a plague before the Lord (Numbers 14:37). Only Joshua and Caleb survived, the two faithful spies who believed God’s promise to give the land over to them.

God had promised them victory. The land He commanded them to go in and take was already theirs; they simply had to trust and obey, but this they did not do. God will never lead us where His grace cannot provide for us or His power cannot protect us. Indeed, the Israelites had seen the powerful hand of God at work during the plagues and miracles of the Exodus. Yet, like many people, they walked by sight and not by faith and their unbelief displeased God.“Without faith it is impossible to please God”(Hebrews 11:6). Their failure to believe in God’s word kept them from entering the Promised Land. This truth has never changed.

#453611 Jun 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your analogy doesn't really pass muster here.
In Public Education, the teacher has the authority. Clearly defined. The student does not draw their own conclusions from the study material and grant themselves an "A+" without fear of appeal. The degree of their successful assimilation of the lessons taught is subject to the authority of the teacher.
~~~

Jesus said
Mat 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

~~~~

Your analogy does not apply here

From the Bible

THE lessons taught IS NOT subject to the authority of the EARTHLY teacher.

BUT SUBJECT TO THE AUTHORITY OF THE HOLY GHOST.

Location hidden

#453612 Jun 18, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you are saying is that you are perfect since you are a Bible alone-er.
Are all the other protestant Bible Alone folks going to agree with you and say that you are perfect?
Are you other protestants on here going to correct your deluded pew mate?
Can't speak for anyone else...but I now I are:

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

#453613 Jun 18, 2013
who="Oxbow"
For awhile there I thought we were on the same planet....
Show me Scripture in the Bible that teaches Christ lived on earth for some 33 years as the incarnate Son of God, was crucified, died, buried, and ascended into Heaven, before the NT....

You don't know how these things were accomplished in God's timetable. Scripture says that Jesus was CRUCIFIED BEFORE THE WORLD BEGAN.
We can't 'see' it all, but He still said that He was before Abraham. He also said that 'Abraham desired to see My day, and he saw it, and was glad.'

He walked in the fiery furnace with the Hebrew children. He followed them in the wilderness as their Rock. Scripture tells us all this and more.

He IS GOD, you know...

KayMarie

Location hidden

#453614 Jun 18, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Luther got weary of obsessing about his own crap, both spiritual and actual, so he decided to create a huge distraction for himself, so he came up with the Reformation, an even bigger and stinkier pile of crap to wallow around in.
He was a Catholic...what did you expect????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 8 min WasteWater 2,070
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 9 min WasteWater 105,626
BEWARE!! More FALSE FLAGS Comng Soon!!!!!! 10 min Charles 1
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 14 min Charles 17
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 15 min okimar 53,818
Sometimes, a Lesbian Is Just a Lesbian 20 min Charles 3
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 21 min Clearwater 48,817
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 30 min RiversideRedneck 971,710
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Buck Crick 281,266
More from around the web