Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 21,835)

Showing posts 436,681 - 436,700 of532,117
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Human Being

Church Point, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you so ignorant as to believe that the term Rabboni is Catholic???
You can't possibly BE that stupid.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>
From the book “Smith’s Bible Dictionary.
Rabbi
The titles were used with different degrees of honor; the lowest being rab, master; then rabbi, my master; next rabban, our master; and greatest of all, rabboni, my great master.
June

Because universities were started by the Church in Medieval Europe, I suggest that you do not go to any doctors, lawyers, and teacher, that have degrees such as PhD, and MD after their names.

It must be terrible for you to know that theology conspired to educate people.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof is evidence validated by trial and testing that can, will and has withstand the element of "time". The Early Christian such as Augustine Irenaeus, Justin, Tertullian, etc. all contended resolutely with arriving at TRUTH combining and intertwining "faith and reason",.... WITHOUT any religious organization to influence them!..... What you fail to understand Black Thunder 42 is that "I HAVE learned the difference!!!..As an agnostic or atheists (whatever you call yourself)--you, my friend, have , unfortunately (failed) to grasp ANY of it, which is no surprise to ANY of us Catholics!!!
Truth?
Prove your deity exists.
THAT would be truth...

What you spew is "rhetoric", and that is all it is. Ancient hearsay is NOT proof of anything--unless you have a less than adequate mind with which to reason...

It appears that is the circumstance in your case.

You can't "handle" "TRUTH".
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Did yew complain about Laos?
Human Being

Church Point, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you and your bible enlightening people to treat each other as equals?
Your religion teaches that we must all follow your beliefs or end up on the short end of the stick, in hell.
I have no use for such nonsense. Superstitious religion creates the disturbances on earth that it professes to CURE.
June

You didn't answer Roberta's question. Hmmm. Forgot?

So you are saying, the reason for the ill's of people and society is that religion is the "creator" of them, and that the reason you are so full of nonsense is that religion created you that way.

That is a most humbling admission by you.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

it is written tribe against tribe nation against nation..

it is written
blade blade blade of Jesus Christ..
'it is written'
Human Being

Church Point, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth?
Prove your deity exists.
THAT would be truth...
What you spew is "rhetoric", and that is all it is. Ancient hearsay is NOT proof of anything--unless you have a less than adequate mind with which to reason...
Black Thunder 42

Here is the dilemma we face. TRUTH

It is part of the transcendentals, and so for the Christian, and I might say people in general, we consider that Truth, Beauty, and Goodness are related.

Thus when I say, where there is truth, there is also beauty and goodness, these are all related in reality, and are not subject to proof, unless reality is subject to proof.

Science is also approaching a crisis of existence, in that post-modern relativism destroys all "evidence" of science nearly as fast as it is found.

So the double dilemma exists, and the religiously minded prefers to keep its deeper historical values, while science cannot face them, nor even its own values....
Human Being

Church Point, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, they are intentionally taught by their church to live in fear of a deity that will unmercifully punish them for eternity if they do not live by absolutely impossible standards set forth by this imagined deity....That is the definition of insanity...or at least, mental incompetence.
Black Thunder 42

That would be insane. And there are many on that merry-go-round.

But people tend to gravitate toward what they have been taught, and it has been shown to be true. One does not knowingly put one's hand in the proverbial fire twice, to know. Once is enough.

Building from religion, it teaches both to accept where one has been, where one is at, and frees one. That is to be both slave and free.

John 8:32 "...“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”"

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you and your bible enlightening people to treat each other as equals?
Your religion teaches that we must all follow your beliefs or end up on the short end of the stick, in hell.
I have no use for such nonsense. Superstitious religion creates the disturbances on earth that it professes to CURE.
You're not answering the question.

Why are you such a vicious, ill-tempered shrew, with never a nice thing to say to anyone--not even to people who are NOT Christians? Besides which, plenty of people who are atheists, etc. can be polite and even friendly with Christians, so whatever your problem is, it is yours and yours alone, and has NOTHING to do with religion. So I'll ask again:

Why are you such a vindictive bitter harpy?
Anthony MN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Oxbow wrote:
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, the Church never taught selling indulgences or torture of the Jews. Those things were done by bad guys contrary to Church teachings.
Bl. John Paul II apologized for those bad guys.
--------
You will never learn...do not tell a lie that can easily be proven a lie!!!!
On the net: TIME US
Indulgences (no relation here to bubble baths or truffles) have been part of Catholic doctrine since the Crusades. When the Church offered them for sale in the 1500s — call it mercy for money — religious reformer Martin Luther protested. These days, they can't be bought. "How does that MasterCard ad go?" muses Sister Mary Ann Walsh, spokeswoman for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. "Some things are priceless." (See pictures of Pope Benedict XVI visiting the U.S.)
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,859...
Myth 7: A person used to be able to buy indulgences.

One never could "buy" indulgences. The financial scandal surrounding indulgences, the scandal that gave Martin Luther an excuse for his heterodoxy, involved alms—indulgences in which the giving of alms to some charitable fund or foundation was used as the occasion to grant the indulgence. There was no outright selling of indulgences. The Catholic Encyclopedia states: "[I]t is easy to see how abuses crept in. Among the good works which might be encouraged by being made the condition of an indulgence, almsgiving would naturally hold a conspicuous place.... It is well to observe that in these purposes there is nothing essentially evil. To give money to God or to the poor is a praiseworthy act, and, when it is done from right motives, it will surely not go unrewarded."

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/myths-about-in...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June
You didn't answer Roberta's question. Hmmm. Forgot?
So you are saying, the reason for the ill's of people and society is that religion is the "creator" of them, and that the reason you are so full of nonsense is that religion created you that way.
That is a most humbling admission by you.
Two thumbs up ;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, they are intentionally taught by their church to live in fear of a deity that will unmercifully punish them for eternity if they do not live by absolutely impossible standards set forth by this imagined deity....That is the definition of insanity...or at least, mental incompetence.
Here is that "impossible standard set forth by this imagined deity" you mentioned:

John 13:34 [Jesus said]“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another.”

Granted, no Christian fully lives up to that, but that's another post.

Now, tell me, Black Thunder, what is "insane" about people loving each other?
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
One never could "buy" indulgences. The financial scandal surrounding indulgences, the scandal that gave Martin Luther an excuse for his heterodoxy, involved alms—indulgences in which the giving of alms to some charitable fund or foundation was used as the occasion to grant the indulgence. There was no outright selling of indulgences. The Catholic Encyclopedia states: "[I]t is easy to see how abuses crept in. Among the good works which might be encouraged by being made the condition of an indulgence, almsgiving would naturally hold a conspicuous place.... It is well to observe that in these purposes there is nothing essentially evil. To give money to God or to the poor is a praiseworthy act, and, when it is done from right motives, it will surely not go unrewarded."
That truth doesn't sound as enticing to the Protestants. They'd rather embrace a lie so they can justify anti catholicism! Good Post Anthony.

I just caught a few Sunnys on White Bear Lake that surprised me. They are not usually this big here.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth?
Prove your deity exists.
THAT would be truth...

Sure we can, and the reason is that JESUS is the Truth.

John 14:6 Jesus answered,“I am the way and THE TRUTH and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

Black Thunder, when Someone loves you so much that He was willing to suffer and die for you, it's only a problem "handling" that when your pride gets in the way. Speaking for myself, I have a joy--JOY, I said, not just happiness--that I never used to have before I finally realized that although I could never be good enough to EARN salvation, that I don't HAVE to earn it either :)

Jesus bought salvation for me with His own body and blood. My place in heaven is reserved for me, thanks to Him and NOT to any efforts on my part. The good things I do now, and try to do now, are NOT to repay Him (because I never can), but because I LOVE Him, blessed be His name :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is that "impossible standard set forth by this imagined deity" you mentioned:
John 13:34 [Jesus said]“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another.”
Granted, no Christian fully lives up to that, but that's another post.
Now, tell me, Black Thunder, what is "insane" about people loving each other?
Belief in a totally unprovable deity is the insanity.
Prove your deity exists, then I may believe in any of the rest of the rhetoric.
You are utilizing deflection.
That is dishonest.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

please tel me about cd or dc meaning

please tell me what is in that box in mecca..
please tell me but not used against ordinary people
please tell me about 147 number tel.
please tel me about 258..
please tell me about 369

please tell me
1/3 humanity..oh

1/3 sustain but not long
1/3 save but sustain trough cross and blade of Jesus Christ..

oh this digital technology

i don't liked technology
i don't liked satelite
see satelite sat elite

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
There was indeed "outright selling of indulgences." This was the tipping point where Martin Luther was concerned: he was sick over the claim by the Catholic Church (of that time) that salvation could be purchased by money or any other means.

The Popes of that day, Julius II and Leo X (1513–1521)wanted to build this modest little dwelling we know today as St. Peter's Basilica.
______

"Pope Julius II planned far more for St Peter's than Nicholas V's program of repair or modification. Julius was at that time planning his own tomb, which was to be designed and adorned with sculpture by Michelangelo and placed within St Peter's. In 1505 Julius made a decision to demolish the ancient basilica and replace it with a monumental structure to house his enormous tomb and "aggrandize himself in the popular imagination".

_____

Such a huge, elaborate structure wasn't going to be cheap.

_____

"One method employed to finance the building of St. Peter's Basilica was the granting of indulgences in return for contributions. A major promoter of this method of fund-raising was Albrecht, Archbishop of Mainz and Magdeburg, who had to clear debts owed to the Roman Curia by contributing to the rebuilding program. To facilitate this, he appointed the German Dominican preacher Johann Tetzel, whose salesmanship provoked a scandal.

A German Augustinian priest, Martin Luther, wrote to Archbishop Albrecht arguing against this "selling of indulgences". He also included his "Disputation of Martin Luther on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences", which came to be known as The 95 Theses. This became a factor in starting the Reformation, the birth of Protestantism."

Both quotes above are from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Peter%27s_B...

I have a great deal of respect for the Roman Catholic Church, and I particularly admire its uncompromising stance on the value of human life. But there's no point in covering up the mistakes of the past, in the Catholic Church, the Lutheran Church (including my own LCMS), American history or any other place. Better to face them squarely and learn from them.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

i am not against anyone no
but you need know new technology is very dangarose..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Black Thunder 42
Here is the dilemma we face. TRUTH
It is part of the transcendentals, and so for the Christian, and I might say people in general, we consider that Truth, Beauty, and Goodness are related.
Thus when I say, where there is truth, there is also beauty and goodness, these are all related in reality, and are not subject to proof, unless reality is subject to proof.
Science is also approaching a crisis of existence, in that post-modern relativism destroys all "evidence" of science nearly as fast as it is found.
So the double dilemma exists, and the religiously minded prefers to keep its deeper historical values, while science cannot face them, nor even its own values....
Truth.

Nothing "transcendental" can be considered truth, as none of it can be "proven" actuality.
Truth, beauty, and goodness are all "in the eye of the beholder", and considered a reflection of perception, so there is no absolute condition of "proof" involved.
If, and when one can show me that a deity exists, I wll acknowledge it as "proof" of the deity. All else will be considered rhetorical nonsense.
Feel free to provide that "proof" anytime you want.
I am not one who wishes to "fool" myself about reality and actuality.
It is not a case of "double" dilemma unless you prefer fantasy over reality and actuality.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

evil is evil
evil is real

don't make me sick
i am fine
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

What stay within me?
Please tell me!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 436,681 - 436,700 of532,117
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

573 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 min Dave Nelson 223,947
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 min Uzi 114,926
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 min UIDIOTRaceMakeWorldPeace1 172,151
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min nanoanomaly 719,689
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 5 min Naveen kumar 4,441
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min Toby 93,623
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min WasteWater 256,302
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••