Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 653686 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#451701 Jun 13, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
If Christ built the Catholic church while on earth, why did it take 100 years for this event to be realized!!!!?????
Which means Peter could not have been the first pope...he was dead along time before the term "Catholic" was used!!!!!
You give meaning to the phrase "there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people..."
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#451702 Jun 13, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
On the day of Pentecost there were visitors from Rome (Acts 2:10) in the crowd at Jerusalem when Peter preached and 3000 were baptized. Acts 2:10 mentions that there were Romans (Jews from Rome or Roman proselytes) present at Pentecost. It is possible that these were only visiting Jerusalem for the festival Pentecost (Shavuot) and then returned to Rome where they founded the church.
It is quite likely that some of these Jews eventually returned to Rome (perhaps after the stoning of Stephen) and began to build the Roman church.
Of course they were all thrown out as soon as the Catholics got there...lol.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#451703 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they were all thrown out as soon as the Catholics got there...lol.
sHUTTLE BUS???? lol
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#451704 Jun 13, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
You've seen what?
Eusebius of Caesarea

"[In the second] year of the two hundredth and fifth Olympiad [A.D. 42]: The apostle Peter, after he has established the church in Antioch, is sent to Rome, where he remains as a bishop of that city, preaching the gospel for twenty-five years" (The Chronicle [A.D. 303]).
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451705 Jun 13, 2013
The Roman Catholic church speaks truly on many issues. But the most important issue of all for us is the issue of salvation. Indeed, we have all sinned and corrupted ourselves (Romans 3:23). So much so that we can never approach God Almighty on the basis of our own merits or goodness. The question for a seeker after God is how may I approach God? As we can see from the Bible verses above, the only way to God is through Jesus Christ. These verses present Christ not only as being the Only Way, but also as being One who welcomes us. The Roman Catholic church has undermined this vital revelation of Christ in several ways.

The Roman Catholic church has presented Mary to the world as the one who will intercede for us to Jesus. Catholic popes have always glorified Mary. Thus Pope Leo XIII stated in his rosary encyclical, "Octobri mense" (1891): "Nobody can approach Christ except through the mother". But this is patently false, if the gospels are to be believed, because the gospels are full of examples of people coming to Christ directly. These stories contain no references to Mary whatsoever. The leper of Matthew 8:2, for example, did not request an interview with Mary before coming and worshiping Christ. Neither need we. Unclean as we may be, we can come to Jesus directly and receive cleansing from our wonderful Savior. He is not an angry Savior who must be placated by his mother. There is no other mediator between God and men besides Jesus. Not Mary, not saints, not special priests. None of these can repent and believe for you, and God requires you to repent and believe the gospel before you can be truly saved. "Unless you repent, you also will perish" (Luke 13:3). "He who hears My Word and believes in Him who sent Me Me has everlasting life" said Jesus (John 5:24). I sincerely counsel all people of Roman Catholic persuasion to simply hear the Words of Jesus as recorded in the gospels for us. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

"But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached..." (2 Corinthians 11:3,4).

Popes and priests of the Roman Catholic church have not only presented a false Savior to the world. They have also clouded the issue of who Jesus Christ really is as Lord and Savior, by substituting another Jesus for the One that truly is. For example, they have declared that their specially blessed "hosts" in the Mass are truly "Jesus". The Council of Trent, which is still in force today for Catholics, states that anyone who denies that the host is truly Jesus is "anathema" - cursed and to be damned. I treat this issue more fully in some of my material below. It is an important point. Its important to realize that the Bible teaches that the sacrifice of Jesus was a once for all sacrifice, and cannot be truly repeated at the Mass (Hebrews 10:12; 14).. This is where priests and popes have lied. The truth is not in them, since they blatantly contradict the Scriptures they profess to honor. They place their traditions and what they say above what God says. The two are not the same.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451706 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is saying Jesus founded the "Roman" Catholic Church. He founded the Church. The Church was/is found throughout the world. Sts. Peter and Paul founded Jesus's Church in Rome. They started calling it Catholic a few years later to identify it as the universal and one, true Church.
Really? What date did Paul, who actually went to Rome, and Peter, who was NEVER in Rome, use the term Roman Catholic Church? This is news to me. Please explain.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#451707 Jun 13, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? What date did Paul, who actually went to Rome, and Peter, who was NEVER in Rome, use the term Roman Catholic Church? This is news to me. Please explain.
St. Peter founded the Church in Rome probably in the 40's AD. St. Paul ended up there as well. They were both martyred there In the late 60's AD. Some years later, probably before the death of St. John they started calling it the Catholic Church, as in "universal". It's still called that today.
Anthony MN

United States

#451708 Jun 13, 2013
OldJG wrote:
The Roman Catholic church speaks truly on many issues. But the most important issue of all for us is the issue of salvation. Indeed, we have all sinned and corrupted ourselves (Romans 3:23). So much so that we can never approach God Almighty on the basis of our own merits or goodness. The question for a seeker after God is how may I approach God? As we can see from the Bible verses above, the only way to God is through Jesus Christ. These verses present Christ not only as being the Only Way, but also as being One who welcomes us. The Roman Catholic church has undermined this vital revelation of Christ in several ways.
The Roman Catholic church has presented Mary to the world as the one who will intercede for us to Jesus. Catholic popes have always glorified Mary. Thus Pope Leo XIII stated in his rosary encyclical, "Octobri mense" (1891): "Nobody can approach Christ except through the mother". But this is patently false, if the gospels are to be believed, because the gospels are full of examples of people coming to Christ directly. These stories contain no references to Mary whatsoever. The leper of Matthew 8:2, for example, did not request an interview with Mary before coming and worshiping Christ. Neither need we. Unclean as we may be, we can come to Jesus directly and receive cleansing from our wonderful Savior. He is not an angry Savior who must be placated by his mother. There is no other mediator between God and men besides Jesus. Not Mary, not saints, not special priests. None of these can repent and believe for you, and God requires you to repent and believe the gospel before you can be truly saved. "Unless you repent, you also will perish" (Luke 13:3). "He who hears My Word and believes in Him who sent Me Me has everlasting life" said Jesus (John 5:24). I sincerely counsel all people of Roman Catholic persuasion to simply hear the Words of Jesus as recorded in the gospels for us. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
"But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached..." (2 Corinthians 11:3,4).
Popes and priests of the Roman Catholic church have not only presented a false Savior to the world. They have also clouded the issue of who Jesus Christ really is as Lord and Savior, by substituting another Jesus for the One that truly is. For example, they have declared that their specially blessed "hosts" in the Mass are truly "Jesus". The Council of Trent, which is still in force today for Catholics, states that anyone who denies that the host is truly Jesus is "anathema" - cursed and to be damned. I treat this issue more fully in some of my material below. It is an important point. Its important to realize that the Bible teaches that the sacrifice of Jesus was a once for all sacrifice, and cannot be truly repeated at the Mass (Hebrews 10:12; 14).. This is where priests and popes have lied. The truth is not in them, since they blatantly contradict the Scriptures they profess to honor. They place their traditions and what they say above what God says. The two are not the same.
Why should anyone give a crap what Michael Fackerell says?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#451709 Jun 13, 2013
who=" Anthony MN"
Breaking the sixth and ninth commandments do not incur automatic excommunication. Have someone explain to you what "Sacramental absolution of an accomplice in sin against the Sixth and Ninth Commandments" means.
Suppose you explain it for us. I'm curious.

KayMarie
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#451710 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Breaking the sixth and ninth commandments do not incur automatic excommunication. Have someone explain to you what "Sacramental absolution of an accomplice in sin against the Sixth and Ninth Commandments" means.
HAVE SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO YOU WHAT BREAKING THE SECOND COMMANDMENT MEANS ANTHONTHY. Not or to change it all together.

if you break one Commandment you break them all.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451711 Jun 13, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Peter founded the Church in Rome probably in the 40's AD. St. Paul ended up there as well. They were both martyred there In the late 60's AD. Some years later, probably before the death of St. John they started calling it the Catholic Church, as in "universal". It's still called that today.
There is absolutely NO Biblical or non-Roman Catholic historical fact of Peter ever being in Rome. Peter was never in Rome. Never!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451712 Jun 13, 2013
Is Purgatory Biblical?

The Roman Catholic church teaches that those who are perfect at death are admitted to heaven. Those who are not perfectly cleansed and are still tainted with the guilt of venial sins, however, do not go to heaven but rather go to purgatory where they allegedly go through a process of cleansing (or "purging"). Such souls are oppressed with a sense of deprivation and suffer certain pain. How long they stay in purgatory - and how much suffering they undergo while there - depends upon their particular state of sin.

Roman Catholics also teach that a person's time in purgatory may be shortened, and his pains alleviated, by the faithful prayers and good works of those still alive. The sacrifice of the Mass is viewed as especially important in this regard. Catholics find support for this doctrine in the apocryphal book 2 Maccabees 12:42-45.

That purgatory is a false doctrine is easy to prove from the Scriptures. When Jesus died on the cross, He said "It is finished" (John 19:30). Jesus completed the work of redemption at the cross. In His high priestly prayer to the Father, Jesus said, "I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do" (John 17:4). Hebrews 10:14 emphatically declares, "By one sacrifice he has made perfect for ever those who are being made holy." Hence, those who believe in Christ are "made perfect" forever; no further "purging" is necessary. First John 1:7 says, "The blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." Romans 8:1 says, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

Jesus took care of "purging" our sins by His work of salvation at the cross. Hebrews 1:3 affirms, "After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven." Jesus provided full purification for our sins.
rosesz

Ashburn, VA

#451713 Jun 13, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics are forever trying to sell to the world, the idea that Christ, a Jew, and His 12 Jewish apostles, during the time that Christ was on earth, established the Roman Catholic Church, that everyone knows, that even as of today, is for Gentiles and not Jews!!!! To believe that you have to believe that Christ abandoned God's chosen ones!!!!
Quote: After excerpts from the second volume of the pope’s book on Jesus made the rounds last week, featuring his rejection of the idea that “the Jews” killed Christ, the full text adds another point with important implications for Christian/Jewish relations -- in effect, that Christianity “must not concern herself with the conversion of the Jews.”
The comment comes in Benedict XVI’s book Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week, the full text of which was released today.
Imo..We Gentiles,are adopted into the descendants if Abraham

I still believe God has a special plan for His Chosen. He is not going to leave out true believers believers Yahweh God. I don't know what the plan is..But He does

There are Messianic Jews.now.

There will be those Jews in the tribulation who are marked by the Spirit to spread the word to His people.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#451714 Jun 13, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
YOU WROTE
I said oral tradition isn't subordinate to written teaching.
QUESTION
WHY IS IT ..then THAT YOU REJECT THE WRITTEN DOCUMENT,
and continue in your conjecture?
Perhaps, because not any of it is subject to verification of any demarcation of actuality or authenticity...hence, it is completely rhetoric hearsay.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451715 Jun 13, 2013

Location hidden

#451716 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
All ancient people used their religion to conquer those in other cultures.
Jews bludgeoned other Jews. Catholics bludgeoned other Catholics, and Protestants bludgeoned other Protestants, et cetera. Muslims also have intense hatred for other factions of Islam.
Nothing got in the way of their aims to control the minds and lands of others.
Missionaries were famous for handing out bibles and in exchange stealing land from the peasants ... everywhere they went.
And you are absolutely correct in your statement...and it is still ongoing, excepting that it is hobbled in the secular nations with laws which control it.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451717 Jun 13, 2013
By the late second century, bishops in the church were gaining power and were left unchallenged with the affairs of the church.

As anti-church groups came about (such as the Gnostics, who believed that Jesus entrusted a secret wisdom to certain teachers before He ascended), the leadership of the Catholic church was forced to make bold statements. One such statement was from Bishop Cyprian of Carthage, who declared “Outside the church there is no salvation.”

As time went on, the Roman Catholic church grew in prominence and control over the people. During the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, the church achieved an incomparable power and majesty. By this time the rule of the papal office had firmly been established. An example of the power that popes had was in Innocent III.

Pope Innocent III told the princes of Europe that the papacy was like the sun, while kings were like the moon. As the moon received its light from the sun, so kings derived their powers from the pope. The papacy’s chief weapons in support of this authority were spiritual penalties. Almost everyone believed in heaven and hell and in the pope’s management of the grace to get to one and avoid the other. Thus, the pope’s first weapon in bringing peasants and princes to their knees was the threat of excommunication. He could pronounce their anathema and they would be “set apart” from the church, deprived of the grace essential for salvation.[p. 245]
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451718 Jun 13, 2013
The Roman Catholic Oral Tradition is much like the game we all used to play as kids. It is called:

The Telephone Game

The Telephone Game is a game in which a message is passed on, in a whisper, by each of a number of people in a line. The final version of the message is often radically changed from the original

The Telephone Game is a situation where information is passed on in turn by a number of people becoming distorted in the process.

The Telephone Game...Roman Catholic Oral Tradition?

SAME GAME.....DIFFERENT PLAYERS

Location hidden

#451719 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if they believed that Jesus was the Messiah, which they appear to have believed.
Your line of "reasoning" all day is that somehow, no new religion or faith can come into being. Very puzzling, and very much at odds with reality.
I would reckon that your basis is "faith", which has no need for accounts of actuality.
That, in itself, negates responsibility for factual evidence and actuality, and is worthless in the pursuit of "truth", accountability and reason.

Location hidden

#451720 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
All four accounts tell us He was crucified died, was buried and rose again.
And yes, Mensa, four different writers in play here.
I'm calling BS on you and your "I've studied religion" nonsense right now.
Call it whatever you wish.

All you need do is PROVE your deity exists, and there will be no further argument.

All else will be considered nonsensical fabrication of illusion and fantasy without any actual basis.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 8 min Into The Night 63,427
Fedz Pimping Poison Meat - Don't Buy 27 min HiddnNumbrz 1
You are of your father......THE DEVIL. 57 min Rosa_Winkel 20
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 106,478
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr WasteWater 2,568
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Gabriel 973,680
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Classic 3,797
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr LAWEST100 618,751
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr Pegasus 281,841
More from around the web