Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#451456 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
That is my point. Jesus would not have written anything about Christianity, as had he even lived he would have died being faithful ONLY to Judaism.
The stories of Jesus and his entourage favoring the Christian religion was all authorized later by ex-Jew Catholics lusting to start a new religion to in turn gain control over the Roman empire and ultimately all people of the world.
Jesus didn't transcribe His teachings. His adherents did.

"Christianity" is the theology that sprung from the teachings of Jesus Christ. It didn't exist before Christ died. Christ was not an adherent of a theology that didn't exist until His death.

The Catholic Church did not "gain control" of the Roman Empire.

What did you put in your coffee today, June?

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#451457 Jun 13, 2013
The Jews also desired to use religion to rule earthly kingdoms.

The use of religion was nothing new to kings, queens, emperors and lust-filled theologians wanting others to believe they had unfolded the secrets of the universe.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

The Maccabees also spelled Machabees Machabi (Latin) or Machado from Latin (marculatum) that means "Hammer" (Greek/) were a Jewish rebel army that took control of Judea, which had been a client state of the Seleucid Empire. They founded the Hasmonean dynasty, which ruled from 164 BCE to 63 BCE, reasserting the Jewish religion, expanding the boundaries of the Land of Israel, by conquest, which included instances of forced conversion, reducing the influence of Hellenism and Hellenistic Judaism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maccabees
Dan

Omaha, NE

#451458 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
That story was authorized by Catholics. What would you expect them to write? They HAD to vilify Jews as Christ-killers and horrible people, in order to justify (century after century) their own killing OF the Jews.
Feel free to rebut the account of the crucifixion of Christ with new information and cite mass Catholic execution of Jews.

Thanks.
rosesz

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#451459 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You insisting that copies were made and passed along (which means handed out) doesn't make it so. There's no evidence that there was any sort of mass copying and dissemination of these works.
Insisting that things happened that didn't happen isn't disagreement-it's you making stuff up.
Oral tradition carried God's word in the main for centuries. Bible scholars agree on this-you seem to want to rewrite history, for some reason, but you're on an island here.
The Church DID preserve scripture. Even Martin Luther wouldn't attempt to deny that.
What's your deal with this? Do you believe that oral teaching is invalid?
Again you put words in my mouth. NO MASS COPYING

how did one letter with no copies..sent all over to the churches wind up in Catholic vaults..

Make a no sense at all.

Terrace, Canada

#451460 Jun 13, 2013
In all probability, Pontius Pilate, as occurred with Jesus and all the other new testament characters they were simply mythical characters created by Catholic authors.

The sources for Pilate's life are the four canonical gospels, Philo of Alexandria, Josephus, a brief mention by Tacitus, and an inscription known as the Pilate Stone, which confirms his historicity and establishes his title as prefect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontius_Pilate
Dan

Omaha, NE

#451461 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
That story was authorized by Catholics. What would you expect them to write? They HAD to vilify Jews as Christ-killers and horrible people, in order to justify (century after century) their own killing OF the Jews.
.....and recall that if no Crucifixion, no Redemption. All part of God's plan (according to Christian belief).

Catholics used to be instructed to pray for the conversion of the Jews, but never to kill them.

Terrace, Canada

#451462 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Feel free to rebut the account of the crucifixion of Christ with new information and cite mass Catholic execution of Jews.
Thanks.
I posted such information many times, but you ignore it. I also claimed that a bible can't prove that it is based on truth.

To believe it is based on absolute truth, you have to take other author's many, many words for it.

That is why investment in religion is called faith, or theory ... NOT fact.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#451463 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasting your keystrokes.
She'll insist that the Roman Empire was literate in the main or some such as a rebuttal.
I get the feeling that she's going to start saying they all downloaded Bible.pdf onto their smart phones.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#451464 Jun 13, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you put words in my mouth. NO MASS COPYING
how did one letter with no copies..sent all over to the churches wind up in Catholic vaults..
Make a no sense at all.
Again, your insistence that copies were made and distributed to the general populace has to be supported with something other than your barometer of "common sense", which so far here extends to you repeatedly insisting that the ancient world had a high literacy rate (despite all evidence to the contrary).

The Church kept the documents. They safeguarded the scriptures. No one denies this, but you seem to think it nonsensical.

Don't take my word on it. Go ask your minister if the Catholic Church safeguarded scripture.

Better yet, find me the links where we can view Marvin of Arimathea's collection of ancient scripture handouts he gathered.

Terrace, Canada

#451465 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't transcribe His teachings. His adherents did.
"Christianity" is the theology that sprung from the teachings of Jesus Christ. It didn't exist before Christ died. Christ was not an adherent of a theology that didn't exist until His death.
The Catholic Church did not "gain control" of the Roman Empire.
What did you put in your coffee today, June?
Christians wrote of Christianity. Had Jesus lived, he would have been faithful ONLY to Judaism.

You can make a mockery of a faithful Jew if it so pleases your lust for salvation ... and that is what you are now doing ... but you won't convince me that you are so special that a Jew would give his life to save you a Christian, while turning his back on his own faithful Jews.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#451466 Jun 13, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I get the feeling that she's going to start saying they all downloaded Bible.pdf onto their smart phones.
She can't admit that oral tradition promulgated the Gospel. IF she does, she knows she has to turn in her "Sola Scriptura" card.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#451467 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I posted such information many times, but you ignore it. I also claimed that a bible can't prove that it is based on truth.
To believe it is based on absolute truth, you have to take other author's many, many words for it.
That is why investment in religion is called faith, or theory ... NOT fact.
Post it again.

Show me a cited account of the crucifixion of Christ that doesn't involve the Jewish establishment of the day.

I can wait until you find it.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#451468 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
In all probability, Pontius Pilate, as occurred with Jesus and all the other new testament characters they were simply mythical characters created by Catholic authors.
The sources for Pilate's life are the four canonical gospels, Philo of Alexandria, Josephus, a brief mention by Tacitus, and an inscription known as the Pilate Stone, which confirms his historicity and establishes his title as prefect.
That'd be great, except Philo and Josephus were both Jewish and Tacitus was Roman.

Other than that and the Pilate Stone, yeah, Pilate was probably made up by Catholics.

Whiffed on that one, June.

Terrace, Canada

#451469 Jun 13, 2013
Catholic authors wrote the gospels.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

In all four gospel accounts, Pilate avoids responsibility for the death of Jesus. In the Gospel of Matthew, Pilate washes his hands to show that he was not responsible for the execution of Jesus and reluctantly sends him to his death.[7] The Gospel of Mark, depicting Jesus as innocent of plotting against the Roman Empire, portrays Pilate as reluctant to execute Jesus.[7] In the Gospel of Luke, Pilate not only agrees that Jesus did not conspire against Rome, but Herod Antipas, the Tetrarch of Galilee, also finds nothing treasonable in Jesus' actions.[7] In the Gospel of John, Pilate states “I find no guilt in him [Jesus]” and he asks the Jews if Jesus should be released from custody.[8]

Scholars have long debated how to interpret Pilate's portrayal in the sources.

Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#451470 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible can't prove that its own words are based on truth.
If you want to use the tactic that Catholic men were inspired by a Jewish god to write truth in a new testament ... then to be fair, it is just as likely that men of the Muslim faith were inspired by the same Jewish god to write nothing but the naked truth in the Qur'an.
If you stop being so greedy about the idea that the one and only supposed god adores Christians such as you, you will see the scams put forth by ALL theologians ... not JUST the Muslim theologians.
June, you post many things that make it seem that you can only image God to be just another human.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#451471 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians wrote of Christianity. Had Jesus lived, he would have been faithful ONLY to Judaism.
You can make a mockery of a faithful Jew if it so pleases your lust for salvation ... and that is what you are now doing ... but you won't convince me that you are so special that a Jew would give his life to save you a Christian, while turning his back on his own faithful Jews.
A.) Christ was a Jew.

B.) However, His teachings were problematic for contemporary Jews, to the extent that they had Him handed over to Roman curia for execution.

So, the "faithful Jews" of His day seem to have turned their backs on Him, not the other way around.

If you believe that my pointing this out is a "mockery" of anything, that's on you, but don't sell it here. I'm not buying.

You're stuck on this non-starter argument, and you're looking foolish.

Terrace, Canada

#451472 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Post it again.
Show me a cited account of the crucifixion of Christ that doesn't involve the Jewish establishment of the day.
I can wait until you find it.
My point is, it doesn't exist. It all stems from the new testament.

Not one word of the existence of these biblical characters can be found except in the new testament, and in turn people who took data from the new testament to spread more and more of the same type of gossip.

Terrace, Canada

#451473 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
That'd be great, except Philo and Josephus were both Jewish and Tacitus was Roman.
Other than that and the Pilate Stone, yeah, Pilate was probably made up by Catholics.
Whiffed on that one, June.
The World’s Sixteen Crucified Saviors … Christianity before Christ, by Kersey Graves … first published in 1875.

All History ignores Him.

The fact that Christ finds no place in the history of the era in which he lived,—that not one event of his life is recorded by anybody but his own interested and prejudiced biographers,—settles the conclusion, beyond cavil or criticism, that the godlike achievements ascribed to him are naught but fable or fiction.

Terrace, Canada

#451474 Jun 13, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
June, you post many things that make it seem that you can only image God to be just another human.
You just keep ignoring or changing what I post to try to bolster up your own belief.

I no longer believe in the existence of a creator ... your imaginary creator, or any other person's imaginary creator.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#451475 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is, it doesn't exist. It all stems from the new testament.
Not one word of the existence of these biblical characters can be found except in the new testament, and in turn people who took data from the new testament to spread more and more of the same type of gossip.
To your earlier point, why would anyone have written about it other than the adherents of Jesus?

As you said, the Jews didn't see Him as the Savior, and the Romans didn't think He was anything other than a rabble-rouser that they executed.

Can't work both sides of the street, June. One lane or the other.

And, BTW June, "probably" isn't an argument. It's you guessing without anything supporting the guess (other than your animus toward religion).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Aura Mytha 828,287
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 min HipGnosis 442,843
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 7 min dollarsbill 3,355
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 19 min lovewithin 40,142
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 28 min karvimaker 611,849
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 30 min karvimaker 9,313
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 38 min WildWeirdWillie 176,512
More from around the web