Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 693339 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#451709 Jun 13, 2013
who=" Anthony MN"
Breaking the sixth and ninth commandments do not incur automatic excommunication. Have someone explain to you what "Sacramental absolution of an accomplice in sin against the Sixth and Ninth Commandments" means.
Suppose you explain it for us. I'm curious.

KayMarie
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#451710 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Breaking the sixth and ninth commandments do not incur automatic excommunication. Have someone explain to you what "Sacramental absolution of an accomplice in sin against the Sixth and Ninth Commandments" means.
HAVE SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO YOU WHAT BREAKING THE SECOND COMMANDMENT MEANS ANTHONTHY. Not or to change it all together.

if you break one Commandment you break them all.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451711 Jun 13, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? What date did Paul, who actually went to Rome, and Peter, who was NEVER in Rome, use the term Roman Catholic Church? This is news to me. Please explain.
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Peter founded the Church in Rome probably in the 40's AD. St. Paul ended up there as well. They were both martyred there In the late 60's AD. Some years later, probably before the death of St. John they started calling it the Catholic Church, as in "universal". It's still called that today.
There is absolutely NO Biblical or non-Roman Catholic historical fact of Peter ever being in Rome. Peter was never in Rome. Never!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451712 Jun 13, 2013
Is Purgatory Biblical?

The Roman Catholic church teaches that those who are perfect at death are admitted to heaven. Those who are not perfectly cleansed and are still tainted with the guilt of venial sins, however, do not go to heaven but rather go to purgatory where they allegedly go through a process of cleansing (or "purging"). Such souls are oppressed with a sense of deprivation and suffer certain pain. How long they stay in purgatory - and how much suffering they undergo while there - depends upon their particular state of sin.

Roman Catholics also teach that a person's time in purgatory may be shortened, and his pains alleviated, by the faithful prayers and good works of those still alive. The sacrifice of the Mass is viewed as especially important in this regard. Catholics find support for this doctrine in the apocryphal book 2 Maccabees 12:42-45.

That purgatory is a false doctrine is easy to prove from the Scriptures. When Jesus died on the cross, He said "It is finished" (John 19:30). Jesus completed the work of redemption at the cross. In His high priestly prayer to the Father, Jesus said, "I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do" (John 17:4). Hebrews 10:14 emphatically declares, "By one sacrifice he has made perfect for ever those who are being made holy." Hence, those who believe in Christ are "made perfect" forever; no further "purging" is necessary. First John 1:7 says, "The blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." Romans 8:1 says, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

Jesus took care of "purging" our sins by His work of salvation at the cross. Hebrews 1:3 affirms, "After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven." Jesus provided full purification for our sins.
rosesz

Ashburn, VA

#451713 Jun 13, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics are forever trying to sell to the world, the idea that Christ, a Jew, and His 12 Jewish apostles, during the time that Christ was on earth, established the Roman Catholic Church, that everyone knows, that even as of today, is for Gentiles and not Jews!!!! To believe that you have to believe that Christ abandoned God's chosen ones!!!!
Quote: After excerpts from the second volume of the pope’s book on Jesus made the rounds last week, featuring his rejection of the idea that “the Jews” killed Christ, the full text adds another point with important implications for Christian/Jewish relations -- in effect, that Christianity “must not concern herself with the conversion of the Jews.”
The comment comes in Benedict XVI’s book Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week, the full text of which was released today.
Imo..We Gentiles,are adopted into the descendants if Abraham

I still believe God has a special plan for His Chosen. He is not going to leave out true believers believers Yahweh God. I don't know what the plan is..But He does

There are Messianic Jews.now.

There will be those Jews in the tribulation who are marked by the Spirit to spread the word to His people.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#451714 Jun 13, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
YOU WROTE
I said oral tradition isn't subordinate to written teaching.
QUESTION
WHY IS IT ..then THAT YOU REJECT THE WRITTEN DOCUMENT,
and continue in your conjecture?
Perhaps, because not any of it is subject to verification of any demarcation of actuality or authenticity...hence, it is completely rhetoric hearsay.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451715 Jun 13, 2013

Location hidden

#451716 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
All ancient people used their religion to conquer those in other cultures.
Jews bludgeoned other Jews. Catholics bludgeoned other Catholics, and Protestants bludgeoned other Protestants, et cetera. Muslims also have intense hatred for other factions of Islam.
Nothing got in the way of their aims to control the minds and lands of others.
Missionaries were famous for handing out bibles and in exchange stealing land from the peasants ... everywhere they went.
And you are absolutely correct in your statement...and it is still ongoing, excepting that it is hobbled in the secular nations with laws which control it.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451717 Jun 13, 2013
By the late second century, bishops in the church were gaining power and were left unchallenged with the affairs of the church.

As anti-church groups came about (such as the Gnostics, who believed that Jesus entrusted a secret wisdom to certain teachers before He ascended), the leadership of the Catholic church was forced to make bold statements. One such statement was from Bishop Cyprian of Carthage, who declared “Outside the church there is no salvation.”

As time went on, the Roman Catholic church grew in prominence and control over the people. During the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, the church achieved an incomparable power and majesty. By this time the rule of the papal office had firmly been established. An example of the power that popes had was in Innocent III.

Pope Innocent III told the princes of Europe that the papacy was like the sun, while kings were like the moon. As the moon received its light from the sun, so kings derived their powers from the pope. The papacy’s chief weapons in support of this authority were spiritual penalties. Almost everyone believed in heaven and hell and in the pope’s management of the grace to get to one and avoid the other. Thus, the pope’s first weapon in bringing peasants and princes to their knees was the threat of excommunication. He could pronounce their anathema and they would be “set apart” from the church, deprived of the grace essential for salvation.[p. 245]
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451718 Jun 13, 2013
The Roman Catholic Oral Tradition is much like the game we all used to play as kids. It is called:

The Telephone Game

The Telephone Game is a game in which a message is passed on, in a whisper, by each of a number of people in a line. The final version of the message is often radically changed from the original

The Telephone Game is a situation where information is passed on in turn by a number of people becoming distorted in the process.

The Telephone Game...Roman Catholic Oral Tradition?

SAME GAME.....DIFFERENT PLAYERS

Location hidden

#451719 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if they believed that Jesus was the Messiah, which they appear to have believed.
Your line of "reasoning" all day is that somehow, no new religion or faith can come into being. Very puzzling, and very much at odds with reality.
I would reckon that your basis is "faith", which has no need for accounts of actuality.
That, in itself, negates responsibility for factual evidence and actuality, and is worthless in the pursuit of "truth", accountability and reason.

Location hidden

#451720 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
All four accounts tell us He was crucified died, was buried and rose again.
And yes, Mensa, four different writers in play here.
I'm calling BS on you and your "I've studied religion" nonsense right now.
Call it whatever you wish.

All you need do is PROVE your deity exists, and there will be no further argument.

All else will be considered nonsensical fabrication of illusion and fantasy without any actual basis.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#451721 Jun 13, 2013
Do these prayers sound like "worship" or veneration? What are your thoughts?

Mary Glorified by the Roman Catholic Church

The Roman Catholic Church places Mary, mother of Jesus, in a position of Deity. Listed are some of the prayers offered to Mary.

Hail Mary
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus, Whom you conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit. Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Hail, Holy Queen
Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy towards us. And after this our exile, show unto us the blessed Fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

The Memorare of St. Bernard
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that nay one who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, and sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of Virgins, my Mother; to thee I come; before thee I stand sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.

Cardinal and Saint Apphonsus de Liquori wrote a book entitled The Glories of Mary. The chapter titles ascribe attributes and titles that belong to Christ alone. Some of the titles are:

Mary, Our Hope
Mary, Our Help
Mary, Our Salvation
Mary, Our Life
Mary, Our Advocate
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#451722 Jun 13, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who=" Anthony MN"
Suppose you explain it for us. I'm curious.
KayMarie
A priest cannot grant absolution to a person with whom he is a participant in the breaking of the commandment. In other words, if he's having an adulterous affair with a lady congregant, he is automatically excommunicated if he hears her confession of adultery and offers her absolution.

Location hidden

#451723 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll claim the point here.
Better bring more than half-baked BS to the board, Ox. You're not smart enough.
And I would say the very same to you and anyone else.

PROVE your deity exists, or stop professing the illusion that it does.

Talk about half baked BS!
rosesz

San Jose, CA

#451724 Jun 13, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
Acts closes with Paul in prison in Rome c. A.D. 60. Christian tradition for centuries affirmed that both Paul and Peter perished in the Neronian persecution of A.D. 64, and, though this tradition may well be incorrect (cf. Chap. 17), there are reasonable grounds for assuming that both were dead before A.D. 70. James, too, had suffered martyrdom in A.D. 62, and death must have begun to take its toll among the rest of the apostles by the time that the Jewish revolt and the final capture of Jerusalem in A.D. 70 by the Romans had disorganised the life of Palestine for a generation.
The events of A.D. 60-70 must inevitably have transformed the Christian Church.
With the great leaders of the first generation for the most part dead or in extreme old age, and Jerusalem in ruins, the Judaean church ceased to occupy the centre of the stage, and the new and by now overwhelmingly Gentile churches entered upon a period of consolidation and further expansion in which guidance and authority had to be sought elsewhere.
THE HEART OF THE JESUS MOVEMENT WAS JERUSALEM UNTIL A FEW YEARS BEFORE THE DESTRUCTION OF THE TEMPLE IN 70 CE.
ONCE THE TEMPLE WAS DESTROYED ITS ANCHOR TO THE JEWISH CULTURE SEVERED
AND IT BEGAN ITS TRANSITION FROM A JEWISH MOVEMENT TO A NEW UNIVERSAL RELIGION ANCHORED NOT TO A CULTURE, BUT TO A DOCTRINAL SYSTEM.
IT APPEARS THAT THE FIRST STOP FOR THE LEADERSHIP OF THE JESUS MOVEMENT AFTER IT LEFT JERUSALEM WAS PELLA; AND FROM THERE IT SHIFTED TO ANTIOCH.
Within a few years significant groups also existed in Rome and Alexandria.
IN THE 4TH CENTURY ROME WOULD BECOME THE DOMINANT CENTER with the help of the Constantine, emperor of the Roman Empire.
The difficulty was that in the fourth century Jerusalem was just a small town, very remote, not much going for it apart from the fact of its historical origins and so on and, therefore, giving it a status equal to the other great cities of the Roman Empire would put a terrible financial burden on the church.
(Rome was the most important city in the world at the time of Paul. It had a vast army. That army controlled all the countries that surround the Mediterranean Sea. So the rulers of Rome were extremely powerful and wealthy. They employed many people. Many slaves had to work in Rome. And Rome was also an important city for trade.)

Curious on how the Orthodox came about from the disciples
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#451725 Jun 13, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
HAVE SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO YOU WHAT BREAKING THE SECOND COMMANDMENT MEANS ANTHONTHY. Not or to change it all together.
if you break one Commandment you break them all.
We don't worship idols, regardless of whether you think we do. I'm good there.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#451726 Jun 13, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? What date did Paul, who actually went to Rome, and Peter, who was NEVER in Rome, use the term Roman Catholic Church? This is news to me. Please explain.
<quoted text>
There is absolutely NO Biblical or non-Roman Catholic historical fact of Peter ever being in Rome. Peter was never in Rome. Never!
There's both. Thanks anyway.

Location hidden

#451727 Jun 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't find fault with trusting the Bible.
I trust the Bible.
Don't feel exceptional...you are not the first or only fool in the world.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#451728 Jun 13, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Do these prayers sound like "worship" or veneration? What are your thoughts?
Mary Glorified by the Roman Catholic Church
The Roman Catholic Church places Mary, mother of Jesus, in a position of Deity. Listed are some of the prayers offered to Mary.
Hail Mary
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus, Whom you conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit. Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Hail, Holy Queen
Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy towards us. And after this our exile, show unto us the blessed Fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.
The Memorare of St. Bernard
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that nay one who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, and sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of Virgins, my Mother; to thee I come; before thee I stand sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.
Cardinal and Saint Apphonsus de Liquori wrote a book entitled The Glories of Mary. The chapter titles ascribe attributes and titles that belong to Christ alone. Some of the titles are:
Mary, Our Hope
Mary, Our Help
Mary, Our Salvation
Mary, Our Life
Mary, Our Advocate
Whoever wrote this chopped off, intentionally I think, the last and most important part of the Hail, Holy Queen... It goes; "Pray for us o holy mother of God that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 11 min Mr Wiggley 52,424
Jake Tapper: I Lied About Trump S Hole Comment 2 hr Haha 2
Liberals The Party Of Perversion 2 hr Hallejula 1
Walgreens is owned by Christ-rejecting Jews 4 hr Doctor REALITY 10
the Lord JEHOVAH YAHWEH..has ALWAYS EXISTED??! 4 hr Doctor REALITY 8
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 hr Tellthetruth 992,187
I need a name for a song. 11 hr LatinoVargas55 1
More from around the web