Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Human Being

Welsh, LA

#445762 May 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether people believe it or not is a matter of opinion. Our opinions won't change what will or won't occur.
The future is NOT ours to hold.
June

I think opinions change over time, and that affects what will or won't occur. Its sort of preparing for possibilities, but making intelligent choices along the way leads to better outcomes.

Que Sara Sara(Doris Day), I never cared much for the song.(smile)

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445763 May 28, 2013
The World’s Sixteen Crucified Saviors … Christianity before Christ, by Kersey Graves … first published in 1875.

No matter how glaringly absurd, how palpably erroneous, or how demonstrably false an opinion or doctrine is shown to be, they cannot see it, but will still continue to hug it to their bosoms as a divinely-revealed truth. No facts or evidence can prove an overmatch for the inherited convictions of a thousand generations. In this respect the Mahomedan, the Hindoo and the Christian all stand upon a level. It is about as easy to convince one as the other of their easily demonstrated errors.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445764 May 28, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is my point? You asked a question- I answered it.
Was it just not what you wanted to hear?
If you blatantly twist my words to mean what they do not, I will not even bother to answer, as I have already warned you about doing that before.
Here was your question....
"June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
What do we learn except to defend what we believe as though what we believe should mean something special to others?"
BT42 answers...
"Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
You may have since you posted it.
What I believe about anything is mine to own, unless someone should inquire...and even then, I may not indulge them.
If another is forwarding opinions, then I may or may not discuss or provide opposing argument.
That is what "forums" are for."
I agree that is what forums are for.

What IS your point?

We can answer another post or disregard it. It's our choice.
marge

Ames, IA

#445765 May 28, 2013
Such a person feeds on ashes; a deluded heart misleads him; he cannot save himself, or say, "Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445766 May 28, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June
I think opinions change over time, and that affects what will or won't occur. Its sort of preparing for possibilities, but making intelligent choices along the way leads to better outcomes.
Que Sara Sara(Doris Day), I never cared much for the song.(smile)
What possibilities according to you did it afford? You studied other religions, and then decided that Christianity was your choice ... and then you behave as though you are done searching for truth, because now you OWN it.

I don't perceive that as a possibility to anything but fulfilling your own need for "specialized" fantasy.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#445767 May 28, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
What are being "thrown out"?
New Age Spiritual Leader:

When an artist paints a picture, the last touches are often "brilliant", and very small but "absolutely" necessary. The New Age movement offers different views of a picture, but lacks in "absoluteness", and the picture is unfinished.

There is harmony, contrast, color, may be more complex, or simple, informed, or uninformed, in New Age, and so it appeals to a broad spectrum of minds and spirits as one "enters" the picture.

Sorry if my opinion offends?

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445768 May 28, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June
I think opinions change over time,
And that should be an indication that opinions are not on solid mental turf.

I know people that jump from one religion to another, and the new one is always perceived as the best one, until that wears out and on they go to another one.

The mind is a wily beast indeed.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#445769 May 28, 2013
who="Clay"
thank you.
I gotta admit, your following quote is troubling:
"Clay, repent and receive Christ by faith, and stop trying to please God with keeping certain rules and doing good works...you'll never make it"
I don't get it. That doesn't seem like something the Apostles would tell people. If that is your motto, its not good. I believe that mentality ushered in the problems our society has today. Everyone seems to boast they're 'saved' while hustling money and pimping hoes.
If you were to tell your niece that, and she turns from the Eucharist, you are going to be held responsible for that. This teaching of yours is against Jesus Christ. Its new and strange, Chuck.

You don't understand him, Clay. Salvation is a GIFT from God. Jesus said that if we BELIEVE on Him, we SHALL be saved.(Greek word interpreted 'shall' actually means 'must' or 'will have to be'.

In other words, if you believe Him, you 'will have to' be given life. Someone on here said the other day, that one will not know until after death, whether they will enter heaven. John wrote that, "these things are written (so) that YOU MAY KNOW..."

Anyone can tell you ABOUT the gift...but ONLY He 'gives' it. No one else can do/afford it.

KayMarie

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445770 May 28, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age Spiritual Leader:
When an artist paints a picture, the last touches are often "brilliant", and very small but "absolutely" necessary. The New Age movement offers different views of a picture, but lacks in "absoluteness", and the picture is unfinished.
:)

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#445772 May 28, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
Happy Tuesday everyone. It has been a learning experience getting to read each of your comments. Each one of you have something special to bring to the table for discussion. I hope you have a fantastic day.
You too Cooterdog.
Feel free to throw something in the hat...

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445773 May 28, 2013
marge wrote:
Such a person feeds on ashes; a deluded heart misleads him; he cannot save himself, or say, "Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"
You prefer to believe that only others could be lead astray of the good stuff ... HUH?

Maybe if a creator exists the creator won't feed the greedy.

Or maybe there is no creator to feed needy greedy humans at all.

It all remains to be seen ... or not.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#445774 May 28, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Religiousity" is overzealous, imposing, and overbearing behavior in regard to any particular camp or system, of which it is a part.
Black Thunder 42:

Religion in part records history, and yet must take into account things unknown. Therefore it requires discipline. Some people reject any discipline and authority, and put not just themselves, but others, even everyone at risk. So laws are made, not for being overzealous, but for the sake of justice. When going outside of justice, one must impose(restrain) confine the person or society to prevent destruction.

It may seem at times religion is heavy-handed, but it may have also been necessary to prevent chaos, and promote order, and total destruction. It should be more a learning tool.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445775 May 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
You don't understand him, Clay. Salvation is a GIFT from God.
So YOU understand the creator HUH and others don't? And you don't find that statement to be at all based on arrogance???

WOW!!!
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#445776 May 28, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>

I have seen for myself church's divide because some person doesn't agree with the teachings, and they have gone off and start a different one so that persons beliefs can be taught.
EXACTLY!! That is "precisely" why I left my Protestant "bible only" Church, which divided on three different occasions over a 20 period, because they "couldn't agree" on bible interpretation. It is called "relative truth" Christianity (what each person decides for themselves is the truth"!(Start a new denomination). NO AUTHORITY, NO HEADSHIP, NO ABSOLUTE TRUTH! The Bible (in Pauls writings gives us the ABSOLUTE TRUTH, and THE AUTHORITY, in I Timothy 3:15, where Paul calls "THE CHURCH ( not the bible alone) as the Pillar, Pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH.---LTM --you can begin to look no further that over 400 years of the Protestant Reformation if you want to find the reasons for "church division", "disgreement of teaching", and "starting up a different denomination" ----Since the 16th century there are now over 42,000+ contradicting, inconsistent and conflicting Protestant bible only denominations of "relative truth" doctrines of belief----(each one)editorializing their own "personal (bible interpretation) opinions. There has, is and will continue to be only ONE TRUTH,--NOT---42,000+ conflicting "relative truths" of the word of God and that TRUTH is (as Paul says in I Timothy 3:15, in the One True Catholic Church established, formed and founded by Jesus Christ HIMSELF!!!

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#445777 May 28, 2013
who="G_O_D"
There is repeatable and verifiable proofs for the existence of wisdom, air, electricity and wind.
Provide the same for your deity.

Look: In the mirror.
In your new baby's face.
At water when you thirst.
And on and on...

All things declare Him...

KayMarie
marge

Ames, IA

#445778 May 28, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok going to ask you like I did LYN. HELP . I don't have an answer to this seriously..
<quoted text>
THANKS
This page might help;

http://biblehub.com/matthew/16-28.htm

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445779 May 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
You don't understand him, Clay. Salvation is a GIFT from God.
You are "presuming" that the god deems you worthy of salvation ... and others only worthy of hell.

What if that astounding arrogance on your behalf defeats your purpose?

What THEN???
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#445780 May 28, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your source for these supposed quotes??
They sound ludicrous
My Source? Martin Luther himself. Many scholarly works confirm he said these things.

D. Martin Luthers Werke, kritische Gesamtausgabe [Hermann Bohlau Verlag, 1893], vol. 2, no. 1472, April 7 - May 1, 1532, p. 33

"Lenz: Briefwechsel, Vol. 1. Pg. 373

"Number 29 in Luther’s long series of seventy-seven sermons on Exodus preached from October 2, 1524, to February 2, 1527" [LW 35:159] in Wittenberg.

Luther's Works, Jena ed., 1558, 2, 116; cited in P. F. O'Hare, "The Facts About Luther", Rockford, 1987

April, 1525, " Werke," Weim. ed., 18, p. 547 ; Erl. ed., 53, p. 342 " Briefwechsel," 5, p. 151)."

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445781 May 28, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
This page might help;
http://biblehub.com/matthew/16-28.htm
Helps WHAT?
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#445782 May 28, 2013
The debate continues, even after many hundreds of years.

Why?

Your god is imaginary, selected to serve your needs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 min HipGnosis 442,828
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Stilgar Fifrawi 828,263
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 18 min Freebird USA 176,510
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 43 min Freebird USA 9,312
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 43 min dollarsbill 3,349
Should you Sell your Gold - Important! 46 min Protester 8
Bruce Jenner needs to go to the 'THRONE OF GRAC... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 3
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr TIM958 611,847
More from around the web