Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 21,487)

Showing posts 429,721 - 429,740 of532,106
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You are often implying that you know what the ancients knew. That means that you follow what they wrote as truth.
I don't posit that I know all the ancients knew, but I have studied a lot of it. That doesn't mean I "follow" it...but at least I am aware of the ideas and history of yesterday that led to today.
Would you rebuild an engine without reading the mechanics manual?
It could be quite costly if you don't.
So is life.

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

From the book “Twisted Scriptures,” by Mary Alice Chrnalogar, published in 1997.

The Pencil Demonstration

Here is a demonstration of subtle influence I use in classes” I ask for a volunteer to walk to my desk and open my drawer, take out three pencils and put them on my desk. Then I choose another student and ask them to select the best pencil. I then ask the class if they made a free choice. Inevitably some will say,“Yes.” I then ask,“Who told you to walk to my desk? Who told you to open my drawer and take out three pencils? Who eliminated all the other pencils in the other desks? Who decided it was going to be pencils that you chose?”

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't posit that I know all the ancients knew, but I have studied a lot of it. That doesn't mean I "follow" it...but at least I am aware of the ideas and history of yesterday that led to today.
Would you rebuild an engine without reading the mechanics manual?
It could be quite costly if you don't.
So is life.
I wouldn't trust words written by ancient mechanics, any more than I would trust them knowing about other issues.

Theirs were simply opinions of the world as they thought they comprehended it in that era ... which was probably a whole lot of guesswork.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are filled with LOVE ... are you?
:)
From my perspective, what you describe smacks of self-hypnosis.
I'm not always filled with love, but I "try" to be decent, honorable, and kind.

You can imagine anything you wish...it's your fantasy.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

From the book “Twisted Scriptures,” by Mary Alice Chrnalogar, published in 1997.

A Guilt-Edged Sword

The key for gaining maximum control over someone’s conscience is to influence the person to study and accept certain beliefs. Then, if the person fails to follow those beliefs, a powerful feeling of guilt will be the result.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

A Guilt-Edged Sword

Guilt is such a powerful motivator—especially in the context of a Christian fellowship—that once the seeds of guilt are planted, leaders need not physically prevent people from certain action because their guilt will do this for them (in other words, turning their guilt against themselves). Many of the teachings and recommended books of controlling groups nurture this result by implanting false beliefs.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Through the eons of time before the Catholics came up with the Jesus' story, there were many other religions that also preached of savior sons of gods coming back to earth to rescue them.
I have faith in my own ability to know that I should avoid hurting others ... and if that is not enough, then so be it. I can't do better than my best.
They never came to rescue anybody in those religions, and my guess is, there will be no Jesus (a Jew) to rescue you.
Why are so afraid of your self and your supposed sin? If you are a decent person, none of that fear should be allowed to reside in your brain. It's plain silly that you infect yourself with such nonsense.
Thank you for your concern, June. I do not have any hangups about sin.
There are a few things that I wish I had not done in my life, but that's it.

We are a planet orbiting one of billions in our galaxy.
There are billions of galaxies.
Are you so sure that there have been no visitors from anywhere out there?
Would the visitor not have gone undercover as a human to get the best out of the visit?
Would that visitor be acquainted with humanity?
We might have been "cloned" by one of those from above.
Just asking.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Under hypnosis, you can be convinced that a bee is on your nose. You can see it and feel it, even though it isn’t really there. This deception can be so powerful that, if you are told that the bee has stung, a reddening swelling may appear and you will feel pain. Similarly, if someone convinces you that God will give you a command for everything you do in life, even to the tiniest detail, you will imagine that you hear commands from God. That doesn’t mean that God is really directing you. It only means that your mind imagines it to be true.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Through the eons of time before the Catholics came up with the Jesus' story, there were many other religions that also preached of savior sons of gods coming back to earth to rescue them.
I have faith in my own ability to know that I should avoid hurting others ... and if that is not enough, then so be it. I can't do better than my best.
They never came to rescue anybody in those religions, and my guess is, there will be no Jesus (a Jew) to rescue you.
Why are so afraid of your self and your supposed sin? If you are a decent person, none of that fear should be allowed to reside in your brain. It's plain silly that you infect yourself with such nonsense.
And the Jews wrote prophecies of the Messiah long before this so called God's came into popularity. Many Jews followed Jesus as that prophesied savior. Many are still waiting

All I can say is this He will be here..and we will ALL know Him and bend our knees to Him in the end.

I am not sure but I think from your posts you are an atheist???

If so personally I see that as its own religion. The arguments denying a Creator God get so convoluted in the latest theory that the faith the atheist puts in them almost puts mine to shame.

And I'm not saying you personally but some of the atheist activists who take umbrage with any thing having to do with God even on Christmas it's like they are full of zealotry recalling that if most God based faith.

I never saw a single Jew protesting Nativity Scenes. Or US protesting Menorahs. Who cared. Just shop enjoy the holiday ..go to church or temple and let others do the same or not. Enjoy the strollers if you want. How does any of this harm a single soul. But no.the atheist cries..don't even say Merry Christmas.. I'm sorry but this irks me.

Again not saying you do any of this but it smacks of fanaticism to me.
Way too much effort to ruin beautiful traditions.

Ok off my soap box.
Peace to you June

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not always filled with love, but I "try" to be decent, honorable, and kind.
You can imagine anything you wish...it's your fantasy.
From my perspective, trying to avoid harming others is the best that we can accomplish.

It won't always turn out as planned, but striving in that direction is an honorable goal.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Jews wrote prophecies of the Messiah long before this so called God's came into popularity. Many Jews followed Jesus as that prophesied savior. Many are still waiting
All I can say is this He will be here..and we will ALL know Him and bend our knees to Him in the end.
I am not sure but I think from your posts you are an atheist???
If so personally I see that as its own religion. The arguments denying a Creator God get so convoluted in the latest theory that the faith the atheist puts in them almost puts mine to shame.
And I'm not saying you personally but some of the atheist activists who take umbrage with any thing having to do with God even on Christmas it's like they are full of zealotry recalling that if most God based faith.
I never saw a single Jew protesting Nativity Scenes. Or US protesting Menorahs. Who cared. Just shop enjoy the holiday ..go to church or temple and let others do the same or not. Enjoy the strollers if you want. How does any of this harm a single soul. But no.the atheist cries..don't even say Merry Christmas.. I'm sorry but this irks me.
Again not saying you do any of this but it smacks of fanaticism to me.
Way too much effort to ruin beautiful traditions.
Ok off my soap box.
Peace to you June
I don't care what people practice in their homes as traditions such as Christmas, as long as they keep it off of government property.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the oldest known religion in the world?

Answer:

Oldest Known Religion:

Religion goes back at least as far as human civilizations. Nobody knows what the first religion was. The Egyptians predate the Jews, The Mesopotamians predate them. The Chinese predate them...

Hinduism: Since Sanskrit is the oldest written language, as far as religion being written down, and as far as organized religion is concerned, it would be Hinduism.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_oldest_...
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what people practice in their homes as traditions such as Christmas, as long as they keep it off of government property.
And malls
?

And what about crosses or menorah s on graves in Arlington?

Just curious..why not in my local courthouse square?

How does a nativity scene or menorah hurt anyone. If you hate it..ignore it. And forcing its absence actually favors the atheistic religion. But that is ok?
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer:
Oldest Known Religion:
Religion goes back at least as far as human civilizations. Nobody knows what the first religion was. The Egyptians predate the Jews, The Mesopotamians predate them. The Chinese predate them...
Hinduism: Since Sanskrit is the oldest written language, as far as religion being written down, and as far as organized religion is concerned, it would be Hinduism.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_oldest_...

The one God worshipped by Adam and Noah..imo

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
From my perspective, trying to avoid harming others is the best that we can accomplish.
It won't always turn out as planned, but striving in that direction is an honorable goal.
You live-you learn....

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

I have scrutinized and devoted an objective mindset to the quotations cited as support for St Peter being the head of the Church and the first Pope.

Clearly, in my judgment none of the quotes establish Peter as the head of the Church. Neither does any quote intimate that those that follow Peter are to successively assume the "throne of Peter"

Clearly they establish he is the leader at that time.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
I have scrutinized and devoted an objective mindset to the quotations cited as support for St Peter being the head of the Church and the first Pope.
Clearly, in my judgment none of the quotes establish Peter as the head of the Church. Neither does any quote intimate that those that follow Peter are to successively assume the "throne of Peter"
And a man so humble he did not want to be crucified the same way as Our Lord would Never have sat on a throne imo

He was the head of the Church in Rome. James was in charge in Jerusalem.

Jesus knew Peters potential more than Peter did. He singled him out as a leader.. But not to be mistaken for a king..imo

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Kindly show me the teaching, in the following, that shows Peter, or any other, as the "leader" of them...

Christ said:
But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them

But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister: And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.
Diana La Strega Regina

Ashland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer:
Oldest Known Religion:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_oldest_ ...
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
The one God worshipped by Adam and Noah..imo
Your opinion doesn't count.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 429,721 - 429,740 of532,106
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

550 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 min marvinsims 93,617
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 min New Age Spiritual Leader 440,812
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 3 min Neelakaran 4,436
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min marvinsims 223,944
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min WasteWater 256,297
Why do we live life when we have to die anyway? (Jul '13) 5 min Rider on the Storm 125
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min marvinsims 719,686
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr WildWeirdWillie 172,148
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••