Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,144
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#445243 May 26, 2013
cont

These doctrines don't date back all the way to Constantine, except for perhaps in seed form, but were slowly adopted over many years as various popes issued decrees. In many cases, the doctrines are not even based on Scripture, but on a document of the church. Most Roman Catholics consider themselves to be Christians and are unaware of the differences between their beliefs and the Bible. Sadly, the Roman Catholic Church has fostered that ignorance by discouraging the personal study of the Bible and making the people reliant on the priests for their understanding of the Bible.
rosesz

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#445244 May 26, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your input. Catholic belief is that the wine becomes the very presence of Jesus Christ. His blood. The reason why the chalice is made of the most beautiful substances we have, is out of adoration and respect for Jesus Christ. When He was born, the wise men brought Him gold. In the same way, it would be disrespectful for us to put His precious blood in a paper cup.
What I'm saying is: some things could be liquidated to feed the poor, but a gold chalice used by Gregory the Great (for example) is not one of them ..
I agree but how many more midern ones will Francis need. The church is indeed the holder of much history. And should be.

I am just saying I wont be surprised
:)
Human Being

Basile, LA

#445245 May 26, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
5Let your moderation be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. 6Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
"marge"

About 3 months ago, I memorized the passage:

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Generally when I memorize something, it takes me awhile, because I meditate on it as many times as the Lord leads me.

We sometimes think of Paul as a very dynamic person. I think he was/is humble.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#445246 May 26, 2013
LTM wrote:
cont
These doctrines don't date back all the way to Constantine, except for perhaps in seed form, but were slowly adopted over many years as various popes issued decrees. In many cases, the doctrines are not even based on Scripture, but on a document of the church. Most Roman Catholics consider themselves to be Christians and are unaware of the differences between their beliefs and the Bible. Sadly, the Roman Catholic Church has fostered that ignorance by discouraging the personal study of the Bible and making the people reliant on the priests for their understanding of the Bible.
People are fostering the ignorance of defining whom is a Christian and whom is not by a label of their faith practices. Where is God at in all this bickering, finger pointing that one group of people here in your comments, Catholic people, "call themselves Christians". Sadly but so often true, people that profess to know God wants to label people and fit them into their categories of how a person should be in order to have a "Christian Label. No human is God nor can they determine a person's salvation. All this strife stirring, hate mongering, and attacks to anyone believing differently only shows the true intent of a person's heart. It shows a person is willing to do anything even break a person's spirit to prove they have the answer to religion and all the dogma attached to the thousands of religious beliefs and practices. Which is more important to you as a person discussing God? Is is more important to be found talking the talk and walking the walk in representing the faith you practice and calling yourself a professing Christian or is it more important to prove to everyone they have flaws or mistakes in their religious beliefs because you or someone doesn't believe the way you do and find it your religious duty to show what is wrong with a person's way of living using their religious beliefs? Would it be more beneficial to live your life to the way you feel you need to and allow the one that you find is not following religion according to your religious beliefs find their way by instruction by God through the Holy Spirit? Did God not say that He would give anyone knowledge that would ask? What are you doing here among a group of people finger pointing by presenting your data from various sources of whom is right or wrong about their religious beliefs? Would it not be best for a professing Christian to demonstrate how to live for God by His instruction instead of coming to a place to demonstrate intolerance of anyone and I mean anyone including those that doesn't practice faith by showing this is how your beliefs are wrong and yes, I've got the documentation to prove my facts and I'm instructed by God to warn these people? Where's God in all of this coming here to tell or show others their faith is incorrect when God has told us in His word He would give anyone knowledge?
Clay

United States

#445247 May 26, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree but how many more midern ones will Francis need. The church is indeed the holder of much history. And should be.
I am just saying I wont be surprised
:)
I won't be surprised what this Pope does. He really is unique in the modern era. But then again so was JP II.
To be honest, I See people in the media, around town and on this forum, waiting to strike him. Right now, people don't know what to make of Francis.
They seem to be sitting back and waiting for an opportunity.
With Benedict, fundamentalist loved the scriptural fight. He was a brilliant theologian end expert in Biblical history. Many evangelical pastors also believe they are brilliant theologians and definitely 'experts on the Bible'. So when Benedict spoke, they were like,'oh yeah, well take THIS' and then they would sling a Bible verse at him'.

But what to do they do with Pope Francis, who's not challenging them intellectually. He's calmly leading by example and letting his critics crucify him (pun intended). He's forcing ministers across the world to look in the mirror and they don't like it one bit. The Pope is supposed to be the anti Christ in their eyes! How do they explain to their followers that this Pope is evil??
Their blood is slowly boiling as they try and figure out how to strike this shepherd.
Human Being

Basile, LA

#445248 May 26, 2013
LTM wrote:
What is Roman Catholicism?"
Answer: The Roman Catholic Church portrays itself as the one legitimate heir to New Testament Christianity, and the Pope as the successor to Peter, the first bishop of Rome. While those details are debatable, there is no question that Roman church history reaches back to ancient times. The apostle Paul wrote his letter to the Romans about AD 55, and addressed a church body that existed prior to his first visit there (but he made no mention of Peter, though he greeted others by name). Despite repeated persecutions by the government, a vibrant Christian community existed in Rome after apostolic times. Those early Roman Christians were just like their brethren in other parts of the world—simple followers of Jesus Christ.
Things changed drastically when the Roman Emperor Constantine professed a conversion to Christianity in AD 312. He began to make changes which ultimately led to the formation of the Roman Catholic Church. He issued the Edict of Milan in 313, which granted freedom of worship throughout the empire. When doctrinal disputes arose, Constantine presided over the first ecumenical church council at Nicaea in AD 325, even though he held no official authority in the churches. By the time of his death, Christianity was the favored, if not the official, religion of the Roman Empire. The term “Roman Catholic” was defined by Emperor Theodosius on February 27, 380 in the Theodosian Code. In that document, he referred to those who hold to the “religion which was delivered to the Romans by the divine Apostle Peter” as “Roman Catholic Christians,” and gave them the official sanction of the empire.
cont
LTM:

Early Christians in the Roman Empire were in part known as atheists because they did not accept the official religions.

But for the most part I think we can conclude that the message first went out to the Jewish people in the Empire, but it quickly spread to the vast numbers of slaves.

To me it seems it spread from the bottom up. And by Constantine's time, he was being practical about Christianity in the Empire.

Regrettably, the Empire collapsed, barbarian invasions, and this had an effect on Christianity, in seeking unity. All the warlords carving out and fighting each other, had to compete against Christianity, and so there followed all these declarations, doctrines, and dogmas to provide a defense and corruption of Christianity. It survived in Rome, but elsewhere Christianity was overrun, mainly by Islam in the south and west.

So there is a sensitive, and reflexive nature in the RCC, which has spilled over from European heritage, but it is learning.
Clay

United States

#445249 May 26, 2013
LTM wrote:
Biblical Teaching
----------
Christ, the head of the body, rules the universal church (Colossians 1:18).
----------
God has entrusted revelation to the saints (Jude 3).
----------
God alone is infallible (Numbers 23:19; Acts 17:11).
----------
Scripture alone is the Word of God (John 10:35; 2 Timothy 3:16,17; 2 Peter 1:20,21; Mark 7:1-13).
----------
Christ alone is the Redeemer, for He alone suffered and died for sin (1 Peter 1:18,19).
----------
Christ Jesus is the one mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions (1 Timothy 2:5; John 14:13,14; 1 Peter 5:7).
----------
Justification is by faith alone (Romans 3:28).
----------
God justifies ungodly sinners who believe (Romans 4:5). Good works are the result of salvation, not the cause (Ephesians 2:8-10).
----------
Grace is a free gift (Romans 11:6).
----------
Salvation is attained by grace through faith apart from works (Ephesians 2:10).
----------
The believer can know that he has eternal life by the Word of God and the testimony of the Holy Spirit who indwells believers(1 John 5:13; Romans 8:16).
----------
There is salvation in no one but the Lord Jesus Christ,“for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved”(Acts 4:12).
----------
The bread and wine are symbols of the body and blood of Christ, and He is bodily present in heaven (1 Corinthians 11:23-25; Hebrews 10:12,13).
----------
The sacrifice of the cross is finished (John 19:30).
----------
The once-for-all sacrifice of the cross fully appeased God's wrath against sin (Hebrews 10:12-18).
----------
The sacrificial work of redemption was finished when Christ gave His life for us on the cross (Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 1:3).
Hey LTM, I'm just going to point a couple (of many) lies in your essay. Romans 3:28 does not say 'alone'. Martin Luther added this word.

1Corinthians 11: 23-25 DOES NOT say the bread and wine are symbols of the body.

I'll give you some advice: once you let one lie into your religion, the whole thing derails eventually.

Martin Luther let two lies in: Sola fide and Sola Scripture. Those two were NOT taught by Jesus Christ nor His Apostles. So like a windshield on a car, it started with a small crack and succumbed the entire windshield and finally shattered. That sums us Protestantism. The 20th century saw one fanatic sect after another. You belong to one of these. Loose the propaganda conspiracy Christianity. That's my advice to you. Have real faith and Jesus Christ. If you did, you'd know He could not have waited til the 20th century to reveal His ministry to some tent revival ministries.
rosesz

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#445250 May 26, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>People are fostering the ignorance of defining whom is a Christian and whom is not by a label of their faith practices. Where is God at in all this bickering, finger pointing that one group of people here in your comments, Catholic people, "call themselves Christians". Sadly but so often true, people that profess to know God wants to label people and fit them into their categories of how a person should be in order to have a "Christian Label. No human is God nor can they determine a person's salvation. All this strife stirring, hate mongering, and attacks to anyone believing differently only shows the true intent of a person's heart. It shows a person is willing to do anything even break a person's spirit to prove they have the answer to religion and all the dogma attached to the thousands of religious beliefs and practices. Which is more important to you as a person discussing God? Is is more important to be found talking the talk and walking the walk in representing the faith you practice and calling yourself a professing Christian or is it more important to prove to everyone they have flaws or mistakes in their religious beliefs because you or someone doesn't believe the way you do and find it your religious duty to show what is wrong with a person's way of living using their religious beliefs? Would it be more beneficial to live your life to the way you feel you need to and allow the one that you find is not following religion according to your religious beliefs find their way by instruction by God through the Holy Spirit? Did God not say that He would give anyone knowledge that would ask? What are you doing here among a group of people finger pointing by presenting your data from various sources of whom is right or wrong about their religious beliefs? Would it not be best for a professing Christian to demonstrate how to live for God by His instruction instead of coming to a place to demonstrate intolerance of anyone and I mean anyone including those that doesn't practice faith by showing this is how your beliefs are wrong and yes, I've got the documentation to prove my facts and I'm instructed by God to warn these people? Where's God in all of this coming here to tell or show others their faith is incorrect when God has told us in His word He would give anyone knowledge?
Wow great. I think He does look at each heart

The rituals meant for praise..the hymns I think he loves..but not a onecof them. Not one will earn us a place in heaven

And I imagine he hates. hate and persecution for differences.

Thosr videos I posted about the dark time wete meant not because I hate the RCC..but that it has come so far in my lifetime. Preaching unity is amazing considering that history. A God thing and further proof that we needed the Reformation..imo
Human Being

Basile, LA

#445251 May 26, 2013
LTM wrote:
Biblical Teaching
----------
Christ, the head of the body, rules the universal church (Colossians 1:18).
----------
God has entrusted revelation to the saints (Jude 3).
----------
God alone is infallible (Numbers 23:19; Acts 17:11).
----------
Scripture alone is the Word of God (John 10:35; 2 Timothy 3:16,17; 2 Peter 1:20,21; Mark 7:1-13).
----------
Christ alone is the Redeemer, for He alone suffered and died for sin (1 Peter 1:18,19).
----------
Christ Jesus is the one mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions (1 Timothy 2:5; John 14:13,14; 1 Peter 5:7).
----------
Justification is by faith alone (Romans 3:28).
----------
God justifies ungodly sinners who believe (Romans 4:5). Good works are the result of salvation, not the cause (Ephesians 2:8-10).
----------
Grace is a free gift (Romans 11:6).
----------
Salvation is attained by grace through faith apart from works (Ephesians 2:10).
----------
The believer can know that he has eternal life by the Word of God and the testimony of the Holy Spirit who indwells believers(1 John 5:13; Romans 8:16).
----------
There is salvation in no one but the Lord Jesus Christ,“for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved”(Acts 4:12).
----------
The bread and wine are symbols of the body and blood of Christ, and He is bodily present in heaven (1 Corinthians 11:23-25; Hebrews 10:12,13).
----------
The sacrifice of the cross is finished (John 19:30).
----------
The once-for-all sacrifice of the cross fully appeased God's wrath against sin (Hebrews 10:12-18).
----------
The sacrificial work of redemption was finished when Christ gave His life for us on the cross (Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 1:3).
LTM

Justification is by the grace of God.

""Being justified freely by his grace, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus."—Rom. 3:24.

I think the issue of faith, as one grows in Christ, is becoming aware of what faith/hope are in Christ, for the person. And so there is a sense of it being foundational(and we are saved by faith), yet for the greater part, while we are living, it is more active, as an active agent within ourselves.

And because faith/hope are active, they are work oriented.

A person who does not have an active faith and hope life, will produce no fruit when called to do so by the Spirit.

I don't think the RC would disagree. What do you think?
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#445252 May 26, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I am quite aware that the pope does not own the riches. You are missing the point. He is in charge and if so.. he could very well declare them to be used. He seems that humble.
I dont say he will but I think his will be an interesting papacy
Oh, have no fear, your point was very clear. I got it perfectly.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#445253 May 26, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert F.
hello Robert f. and what do you do for a living?

usa

#445254 May 26, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
jethro8:
I am scheduled for the "vibration" in mid-June.
that'a long wait,especially considering it's painful. and what is your cancer classified? there are two types.

usa

#445255 May 26, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
jethro8:
It seems that clarification in the law is needed. But with all life, it is precious.
There is little doubt that any medical procedure involves risk, and judgments are made. Medicine is an art, and not just a science.
no clarification needed here,she was miscarrying,and the baby had to be aborted to save the woman's life,and they did nothing to help this woman,they are guilty of manslaughter,because when a life is at risk,abortion is legal everywhere,and she needed one to save her life.

usa

#445256 May 26, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol no its not private. My doctor of 30 years and my plan docs are all on staff there. Its the biggest hospital and they own most of the practices.
We have county ones too. Just this one is the biggest. And closest.
after what happened to that Indian woman,don't get pregnant,if something goes wrong,they won't lift a finger to help you apparently.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#445257 May 26, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have to because you've proven it already.
Good dodge.....shows class....

Location hidden

#445258 May 26, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
Oxbow, why do you hate me so much? And don't say you don't.
Yo momma be lookin' fo yo...yo be out da playpen...
Human Being

Basile, LA

#445259 May 26, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>hello Robert f. and what do you do for a living?
jethro8:

I am "retired". I was in QA in the aerospace industry.

Most of my time is spent around prayer, reading, and gardening now, with this topix as a welcomed friend. Living in a very rural area, there little else for me to keep "busy".

I need little money, and look at the pace of life now, and am glad. I don't know if I could keep up with it all.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#445260 May 26, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow great. I think He does look at each heart
The rituals meant for praise..the hymns I think he loves..but not a onecof them. Not one will earn us a place in heaven
And I imagine he hates. hate and persecution for differences.
Thosr videos I posted about the dark time wete meant not because I hate the RCC..but that it has come so far in my lifetime. Preaching unity is amazing considering that history. A God thing and further proof that we needed the Reformation..imo
What I'm asking if people are a professing Christian, is God pleased with their behavior when it comes to witnessing for God regardless of what faith a person practices? Has God put His anointing on your life to come to an internet site to write comments to incite hate using a person's religion? I have not seen your videos. The one core of any professing Christian is God and it has been brought to my attention too many times people will utilize these threads to even start to bash someone on a personal level because they don't agree with all the religious doctrine of one faith or even use it as a time to bash people whom don't practice a faith or lives their life differently. How many more disagreements must happen before people see we can't use a person's religion to hate them? Some people explain their behavior when posting comments to show how flawed a faith is as not being hate, but I've even seen people say; "It's my duty to show them they are going to hell." If God is the one that judges salvation, should He be the one to judge the person's behavior and give the wisdom He so states in His word to anyone that will ask? When did God put an anointing on a person's life to be their religion's worst enemy by the need to use religion as a weapon?
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#445261 May 26, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't be surprised what this Pope does. He really is unique in the modern era. But then again so was JP II.
To be honest, I See people in the media, around town and on this forum, waiting to strike him. Right now, people don't know what to make of Francis.
They seem to be sitting back and waiting for an opportunity.
With Benedict, fundamentalist loved the scriptural fight. He was a brilliant theologian end expert in Biblical history. Many evangelical pastors also believe they are brilliant theologians and definitely 'experts on the Bible'. So when Benedict spoke, they were like,'oh yeah, well take THIS' and then they would sling a Bible verse at him'.
But what to do they do with Pope Francis, who's not challenging them intellectually. He's calmly leading by example and letting his critics crucify him (pun intended). He's forcing ministers across the world to look in the mirror and they don't like it one bit. The Pope is supposed to be the anti Christ in their eyes! How do they explain to their followers that this Pope is evil??
Their blood is slowly boiling as they try and figure out how to strike this shepherd.
Hope you don't mind if I interject a thought or two on the subject. Unfortunately, people are mistaking Pope Francis' outgoing personality and independent ways for humility. They're also mistaking them as signs of liberalism. Pope Emeritus Benedict is an extremely humble man, in some ways even more so than Pope Francis. The Church will be forever grateful that he put us back on the right track, e.g. the new Roman Missal, correcting liturgical abuses, etc. It's a shame he isn't younger. His demeanor is more reserved than Pope Francis, but both have brought much to the Church.

Are you doing anything special for the Year of Faith, Clay? Fr. Cameron of "Magnificat" suggests simply making an Act of Faith everyday or praying the Nicene Creed daily since we're more than halfway through the year already. Can't believe it! Come November, a new year begins. It will be here before we know it.

Location hidden

#445262 May 26, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>why???
You found errors in their books...do them a favor....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Hidingfromyou 777,431
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 11 min yon 4,844
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 16 min Epiphany2 605,278
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 22 min Dolphin 441,808
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 57 min Classic 1,921
Gay snapchat names 4 hr Sxybest11 163
What changes in Local search ranking on Google ... 4 hr vitaltrafficsolution 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr onemale 265,377
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr Freebird USA 175,775
More from around the web