Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 650738 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#445318 May 26, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Regina
I had to purchase a new Breviary, for Ordinary time, and got it blessed today, by our local priest.
Beautiful!

I've got my eye on a Breviary on Amazon. I think they only get a few in at a time because it sells out within a few days. In the meantime, I've been praying the Hours online (when I remember).

Pray for me, please, Robert.
Thank you.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#445319 May 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, why were you hiding in drag Robert???
You were a pompous bag of hot air back then and you haven't changed one iota.
You are as smooth and arrogant as any Catholic I have ever encountered!
June VanDerMark:

Humm...And I always thought I was rather an inconsistent person, and a bit to headstrong for my own good.

But an answer to your question. I went off topix at the beginning of Lent, and wasn't sure I would be back again. I felt drawn to do so, but wanted to begin anew.(Its the prerogative of a Christian to repent and be a new creature. Atheists have to stick by their guns.)

Same old avatar, makes people narrow their minds when responding. I will listen also with a new perspective. As you seem to think that Christians have no room for growth, the mere fact that I was transformed, and you stated you didn't believe me, I had to prove you wrong.

Funny how one thinks change happens, but all things stay the same....

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#445320 May 26, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Direct quotes from the Roman Catholic church.....
"Take care that we lose not that salvation, that life and breath which thou hast given us, for thou art our shepherd, thou art our physician, thou art our governor, thou art our husbandman, thou art finally another God on earth." Christopher Marcellus in Oration addressing Pope Julius II, in Fifth Lateran Council, Session IV (1512), Council Edition. Colm. Agrip. 1618,(Sacrorum Conciliorum, J.D. Mansi (ed.), Vol. 32, col. 761),(also quoted in History of the Councils, vol. XIV, col 109, by Labbe and Cossart).
"The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth." Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218, "Cities Petrus Bertanous".
"Christ Jesus left you this sweet key of obedience; for He left His Vicar, whom you are all obliged to obey until death. And whoever is outside his obedience is in a state of damnation." St. Catherine of Siena, MCH, reference #374,(quoted in Apostolic Digest, by Michael Malone, Book 5: "The Book of Obedience", Chapter 1: "There is No Salvation Without Personal Submission to the Pope").
“Once he joins the Catholic church, he has no further use for his reason. He enters the Church, an edifice illumined by the superior light of revelation and faith. He can leave reason like a lantern at the door.” Explanation of Catholic Morals, A Concise, Reasoned, and Popular Exposition of Catholic Morals, by John H. Stapleton, p 76, Benziger Brothers, NY, 1913.
"Whoever does not wish to have Mary Immaculate as his Mother will not have Christ as his Brother either; the Father will not send His Son to him; the Son will not descend into his soul; the Holy Spirit will not make him a member of the Mystical Body of Christ; for all these mysteries of grace take place in Mary Full-of-Grace, and in her alone. And, since the First-Born Son was conceived only through the specific consent of the Most Blessed Virgin, the same holds true for all other humans." St. Maximilian Mary Kolbe, ICS, p. 85,(quoted in Apostolic Digest, by Michael Malone, Book 1: "The Book of Mary," Chapter 3: "Those Who Refuse to Honor Our Lady Will Be Lost").
"The foundation of all Our confidence, as you know well, Venerable Brethren, is found in the Blessed Virgin Mary. For, God has committed to Mary the treasury of all good things, in order that everyone may know that through her are obtained every hope, every grace, and all salvation. For this is His will, that we obtain everything through Mary." Pope Pius IX, in Ubi Primum (On the Immaculate Conception), Encyclical promulgated on February 2, 1849,#5.
Absolute truth which will be denied by every Catholic!!!!!
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#445321 May 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I recognized the same arrogant character.
June VanDerMark:

I have been working on that arrogant(prideful) character flaw. Or rather letting God work on it. You see one is tempted on the one side by pride, and the other by boastfulness.

Of course let me not boast, but I think God is doing a perfect work in us all(and especially you).
Clay

Garden City, MI

#445322 May 26, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
SERIUOSLY???
There are no nice words to respond to some of that . What heresy? Blasphemy even.
I love Mary. Was raised Catholic..but I cannot think this humble mother eould countenance our believing salvation is through her..unless they mean through her He was born??
And the pope God??? Really. No wonder we had a Reformation.
For what its worth John Paul was humble. So is Francis it seems.
Can you give a website for this
Rose, if you want to really know what the Catholic Church teaches, just ask. But please don't listen to OldJg. The man is as wicked as they come. Hypothetically, if he was able to snatch someone away from the Church using those lies, the blood would be on his hands. I'm willing to bet there is quite a bit too!

- the Catholic Church does NOT teach the Pope is God.
- the Catholic Church does NOT teach that salvation comes through Mary.
Mr. Jg dug up some old writings from 150 yrs ago. Protestants passed those type of leaflets around to smear the Catholic Church then. The guy is nothing but a punk.
God Bless.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#445323 May 26, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice one by you, Robert. It wasn't intentional, I didn't make the connection earlier. You're right, it certainly does take an act of faith to believe in the Holy Trinity. Teresa of Avila is wonderful. Did you find "The Way of Perfection" difficult reading? I've got so much on my reading list, there are books piled up on the floor all around my chair, next to the bed, everywhere. I love it!
I agree, it's still early days as far as the Pope is concerned. Some things are a bit troubling, others are heart-lifting. But he's a lot more conservative than you'd think. I don't know if you read Father Z's blog, but he was doing a sort of series about reading Francis through Benedict. They're more alike than most people realize.
Indeed Christianity has been taking a beating. Again, I agree, it's not going to let up any time soon. Have faith. Hey, there it is again....Faith. The Church in her wisdom.....
Regina:

"The Way of Perfection" was to me an easy read. I couldn't put it down once I started. I had lost my copy of "Interior Castles" and just got it in from Amazon.

Like you, I have piles of books by the bed, and couch, and I have plenty in boxes, that I "rediscover" when I get the urge to look.

You say Pope Francis may be more conservative. But he may be more a conservationist than previous Popes, as he must lead as St. Francis the healing of people, and the environment, and rebuilding of the Church.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#445324 May 26, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>In my experience, when God puts His hand on a calling in a person's life a person has great success, how much success has people had in warning people about the wrong components of a person's faith? I've only seen people being angered with such hatred of people thinking doctrine and traditions are from men of one particular faith when that inference can be made about a variety of faiths. Would a person be more successful in living a Godly life before people and showing them how God works in their daily lives as opposed to coming to an internet site to write comments condemning a faith? I ask again, where is God in this "feeling to warn people"? From my experience, these types of comments used to "warn people" has never stopped someone from stopping believing in their faith. It has brought about animosity to point of hate and people building up more walls where the core of a professing Christian, God is lost in the back and forth bickering. Do you not give God enough credit to show His people by the Holy Spirit what is right and wrong when it comes to their faith? Would it be more successful for a professing Christian to be found praying for lost souls and asking God's will be done?
Yes it would Cooterdog,
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#445325 May 26, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautiful!
I've got my eye on a Breviary on Amazon. I think they only get a few in at a time because it sells out within a few days. In the meantime, I've been praying the Hours online (when I remember).
Pray for me, please, Robert.
Thank you.
Regina:

Yes. Amazon was where I got my replacement. The Ordinary Time, takes a bit more of wear and tear than the other times of the year.

I also did the Hours online. But having that book in your hand makes one feel closer to the religious, clergy and the rest of the Church, in my opinion.

I will keep you in my prayers, Regina.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#445327 May 26, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>In my experience, when God puts His hand on a calling in a person's life a person has great success, how much success has people had in warning people about the wrong components of a person's faith? I've only seen people being angered with such hatred of people thinking doctrine and traditions are from men of one particular faith when that inference can be made about a variety of faiths. Would a person be more successful in living a Godly life before people and showing them how God works in their daily lives as opposed to coming to an internet site to write comments condemning a faith? I ask again, where is God in this "feeling to warn people"? From my experience, these types of comments used to "warn people" has never stopped someone from stopping believing in their faith. It has brought about animosity to point of hate and people building up more walls where the core of a professing Christian, God is lost in the back and forth bickering. Do you not give God enough credit to show His people by the Holy Spirit what is right and wrong when it comes to their faith? Would it be more successful for a professing Christian to be found praying for lost souls and asking God's will be done?
Hello, Cooter. Just wanted to let you know that the Pope did not say what the title of this thread says he did. Apparently, a reporter got hold of a document that was issued within the Church and she drew her own conclusions thereby stating that the Pope said the Catholic Church is the only true church. If you read the document itself, you will see that the Pope never said that.

We've explained this countless times on this thread over the years, but for some reason the non-Catholics pretend they never heard us. We've even provided the link to the document so they can see it for themselves. Yep, you guessed it....they never bothered to read it. Not one of them. What can one do but throw up one's hands and shake the dust from one's sandals.

“Right To Die With Dignity ”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#445328 May 26, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it would Cooterdog,
A little while back, God tugged on your heart strings to post scriptures to me on a thread and by you obedient to God you helped me more than I can ever explain to you. I didn't want to see a precious person like yourself get caught up or going down the road I did in my posting past and LTM, I had professing Christians cheering me on to bicker back and forth over faith. No one would tell me to check my heart and the good Lord got a hold of me and showed me the errors of my ways. Even apologies can't hurt words when they are used like a sword and I was guilty of not doing wrong to several posters. I almost ruined my witness of God in my life and I just have to praise God He saw some good in this wretched heart of mine that was doing wrong on this internet site. You have a work to do for the Lord and God will guide you. Please I beg of you because I know how you helped me and can help others don't make the mistake I made about telling others how to practice their faith. God will take care of everything. God knows our hearts and He knows our future and He has a will for all of us. Please join me and others in prayer of agreement regardless of our faith that we all be about God's will in our lives. Thank you for helping me in the past when I needed to hear God's word and not man's opinion of what man thought God's word mean. I thank God I met you and you are and were a part of my life and I found you being a witness for God.

Since: Sep 09

Williams Lake, Canada

#445329 May 26, 2013
I can just picture Robert F as a pope back in the day, dripping with sanctimony, as he persuaded the flock that GOD wanted them to burn heretics at the stake to rid the world of evil.

His smoooooth ways would probably have had them convinced that a god was indeed giving pope Robert F ONLY the good side (never never the evil side) of his nature.

Evil would NEVER be in the genes of pope (upcoming saint) Robert F.

Sarcasm intended

Williams Lake, Canada

#445330 May 26, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
I have been working on that arrogant(prideful) character flaw. Or rather letting God work on it.
Maybe the evil side of the god's nature is more powerful than the good side ... and that is WHY you are so insufferably arrogant.

Location hidden

#445331 May 26, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, Cooter. Just wanted to let you know that the Pope did not say what the title of this thread says he did. Apparently, a reporter got hold of a document that was issued within the Church and she drew her own conclusions thereby stating that the Pope said the Catholic Church is the only true church. If you read the document itself, you will see that the Pope never said that.
We've explained this countless times on this thread over the years, but for some reason the non-Catholics pretend they never heard us. We've even provided the link to the document so they can see it for themselves. Yep, you guessed it....they never bothered to read it. Not one of them. What can one do but throw up one's hands and shake the dust from one's sandals.
Hi Regina. Pray with a prayer of faith and God will answer prayers in accordance to His will. I've seen prayer change things in other people's lives and mine. I read where a poster didn't believe in prayer and I'm not here to argue. I even read their comments about not believing in prayer. I will respect posters on this thread. I didn't come to cause problems for anyone. I've met so many wonderful people while posting on Topix.

Williams Lake, Canada

#445332 May 26, 2013
Surely the good side of a god's nature would be humble ... would it not?

The good side of the god's nature would with humility admit that the god had failed to create a perfect realm.

Only the evil side of the god's nature would brag that suffering was necessary to teach his creation of human and non-human forms of life how to love.

tongue in cheek
Clay

Garden City, MI

#445333 May 26, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolute truth which will be denied by every Catholic!!!!!
But that's not what the Church teaches Ox, why would you want to tell people we do?
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#445334 May 26, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>A little while back, God tugged on your heart strings to post scriptures to me on a thread and by you obedient to God you helped me more than I can ever explain to you. I didn't want to see a precious person like yourself get caught up or going down the road I did in my posting past and LTM, I had professing Christians cheering me on to bicker back and forth over faith. No one would tell me to check my heart and the good Lord got a hold of me and showed me the errors of my ways. Even apologies can't hurt words when they are used like a sword and I was guilty of not doing wrong to several posters. I almost ruined my witness of God in my life and I just have to praise God He saw some good in this wretched heart of mine that was doing wrong on this internet site. You have a work to do for the Lord and God will guide you. Please I beg of you because I know how you helped me and can help others don't make the mistake I made about telling others how to practice their faith. God will take care of everything. God knows our hearts and He knows our future and He has a will for all of us. Please join me and others in prayer of agreement regardless of our faith that we all be about God's will in our lives. Thank you for helping me in the past when I needed to hear God's word and not man's opinion of what man thought God's word mean. I thank God I met you and you are and were a part of my life and I found you being a witness for God.
Thank you cooterdog for the nice post, I thank you for helping me now. God's Blessings on you.

Location hidden

#445335 May 26, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>A little while back, God tugged on your heart strings to post scriptures to me on a thread and by you obedient to God you helped me more than I can ever explain to you. I didn't want to see a precious person like yourself get caught up or going down the road I did in my posting past and LTM, I had professing Christians cheering me on to bicker back and forth over faith. No one would tell me to check my heart and the good Lord got a hold of me and showed me the errors of my ways. Even apologies can't hurt words when they are used like a sword and I was guilty of not doing wrong to several posters. I almost ruined my witness of God in my life and I just have to praise God He saw some good in this wretched heart of mine that was doing wrong on this internet site. You have a work to do for the Lord and God will guide you. Please I beg of you because I know how you helped me and can help others don't make the mistake I made about telling others how to practice their faith. God will take care of everything. God knows our hearts and He knows our future and He has a will for all of us. Please join me and others in prayer of agreement regardless of our faith that we all be about God's will in our lives. Thank you for helping me in the past when I needed to hear God's word and not man's opinion of what man thought God's word mean. I thank God I met you and you are and were a part of my life and I found you being a witness for God.
by you being obedient ... Even apologies can't heal the hurt of words...guilty of doing wrong... Please forgive me LTM for my posting errors. I was writing from the heart and I didn't go back and reread my comment to you.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#445336 May 26, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose, if you want to really know what the Catholic Church teaches, just ask. But please don't listen to OldJg. The man is as wicked as they come. Hypothetically, if he was able to snatch someone away from the Church using those lies, the blood would be on his hands. I'm willing to bet there is quite a bit too!
- the Catholic Church does NOT teach the Pope is God.
- the Catholic Church does NOT teach that salvation comes through Mary.
Mr. Jg dug up some old writings from 150 yrs ago. Protestants passed those type of leaflets around to smear the Catholic Church then. The guy is nothing but a punk.
God Bless.
I was raised Catholic and know we worshipped Mary(we did actually)
This was in the 50s. We had processions and crownings. And Sodality.

They said Jesus was the one who died for us. They didnt say the apope was God.

I am not a,Catholic anymore but consider myself saved by Gods grace through faith in His precious So Jesus who took all ourcsins to Himself on the Cross.

But if you have seen my posts i admire John Paul calling for Unity and apologizing to our brothers and sisters the Jews.(we are grafted into the family of Abraham)
I think Francis will be a surprise and a good one.

Those writings floored me..though I know the middle ages saw a,Church run by Men run by Kings imo. And John Paul apologized for that.

But I never saw anything about a pope god or salvation through Mary.

Just really upset me thats all. That they could ever even write that way

Thanks for your post
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#445337 May 26, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Regina. Pray with a prayer of faith and God will answer prayers in accordance to His will. I've seen prayer change things in other people's lives and mine. I read where a poster didn't believe in prayer and I'm not here to argue. I even read their comments about not believing in prayer. I will respect posters on this thread. I didn't come to cause problems for anyone. I've met so many wonderful people while posting on Topix.
Ah, the power of prayer....
Not to worry, you've caused no problems. I agree, there are nice people on Topix. Unfortunately, it can also be a near occasion of sin (for all of us).

Well, I just wanted to let you know the little story behind the topic of this thread. Enjoy the rest of your evening! Happy Memorial Day!

Williams Lake, Canada

#445338 May 26, 2013
Many devout worshippers are afraid to question the nature of the supposed god.

But my guess is, you were not, and ARE not able to ignore the scripture that states that Jehovah created good AND EVIL.

Somewhere in the back of minds lurks that part about evil, and it interferes with the idea that Jehovah is of the character of pure divine love.

And so, it SHOULD lurk in minds of worshippers ... BIG TIME.

You want to believe that you only draw on the love from the gene-pool of the god ... but maybe the evil is what steers and guides you in your daily lives.

You want to dwell in your religion ... I suggest you take that in your holy grail and drink of it, and then check if you are so certain that your cup still runneth over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 5 min Ajay 74
Urgent Message: Dangers Of The Pokemon Game 35 min For Sure 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 43 min Steve III 45,005
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Hukt on Fonix 56,371
Plastic bag use plummets in England 2016 1 hr kolna 1
Gay/Bi men in Leeds 1 hr John Chalmers 2
women watching men naked on webcam (Mar '12) 2 hr Marxmellow 55
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr X Pendable 182,982
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 hr Hangman 971,894
More from around the web