Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 589719 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#444928 May 25, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
I'd ask that we stick to the subject at hand. I've been trying to find evidence of any groups between the time St. John penned Revelation and the protestant reformation that held today;s protestant evangelical beliefs. Many of the protestant posters here insist that the early Church was sola scriptura/sola fide, yet none have ever been able to point to any writing, any evidence, any secular proofs to support this theory....absolutely nothing. Can you help?

Anthony...when you show us the Temple in Jerusalem with a Catholic title over the door, we will get serious about this.
N.T. writers spoke of the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ, or the Church of God. Otherwise they called them by location: THE Church at Ephesus, or Pergamus, or Rome, etc.

Jesus used sola scripture when answering to Satan's temptation. He said, "It is WRITTEN". He could have truthfully called Satan a liar, or a destroyer, or a tempter, but He knew the POWER of God's Word...and used it. It still works.

KayMarie
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#444929 May 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems from your own perspective you forgot that hell exists for unrepentant sinners.
Those unrepentant sinners include babies and older children of Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, Agnostics, etc.
Aren't you proud of your religion?... sarcasm intended!
June VanDerMark:

I never declared the existence of hell, and it is for unrepentant sinners, babies, religious, irreligious people.

Some might call themselves Christians, and to the best of their understanding, they try to live up to its virtues. But I would not condemn them if, they did not know everything, or live up to its ideals.

I am to big a sinner myself, to go looking for problems in other people. But I certainly can sympathize and empathize with them.

Perhaps my smooth talk is because I have had the rough edges chipped away with a couple of big blows to my ego, and having suffered much because of it.
Clay

United States

#444930 May 25, 2013
pen wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously?
Jesus said you do not even know him if you keep not his commandments. Of course you wpould know this if you read what the apostles record for us in the books of the Bible. Jesus set the example by reading the OT books every Sabbath. Where do we find the ten commandments?
The Vatican thinks to change times and laws..
www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catech...
Christians follow Jesus' and the apostles who we know by what they wrote in the Bible, without which you do not even know them. Instead you follow doctrines of men.
Mt 15:9 "But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."
You zinged me with Mt 15:9. That hurt, but I think this verse more applies to the 45,000 protestant sects that appeared in the last few hundred yrs.

What are you basing your religion on? The Bible and only the Bible.
Where did this teaching of 'Bible alone' come from?
It didn't come from Jesus Christ, it came from Martin Luther - who was a crazed former Priest who ran off and married a nun. After people like you read the Bible, they ran off in a rabid frenzy thinking they could figure out their own Christianity by privately interpreting sacred scripture. The result is a doctrinal mess with one sect teaching Our Lords Ministry completely opposite than the sect across the street.
Sola Scripture is not Biblical. Its an invention of men.

Now re-read Matthew 15:9 and look in the mirror.
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#444931 May 25, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
Over this long weekend, please remember America's fallen heroes.
Be thankful that as Americans, we can join together in causes other than religion.
I hope Christians here can love one another and get along for a few days. Maybe a whole long weekend with no name calling!
Now that would be a miracle.
Religion A Delusion:

Christians loving other Christians. Its a good place to start.

Yesterday, I heard of a young retired army veteran who died, and belongs to our VFW Post. He will be remembered.

Miracles happen all the time, most of them are not seen.
Clay

United States

#444932 May 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do most evangelical and fundamentalist communities consider the SDA cult non-Christian?
Heck, these new born again evangelicals don't consider Lutheran or Methodist Christian anymore! nuts..

How did you do at Vermillion? My plans fell through at Pine City. I did well on the Mississippi yesterday but I ain't eating them!
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#444933 May 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe that humans should be placed on pedestals as saints for belonging to and defending your religion.
That is favoritism at it's most wretched insistence.
Many of the so-called saints were nothing but hired hit-men for the cause of the church.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>
Opposite Word of saint:
"demon, devil, fiend"
http://www.opposite-word.com/default.asp
June VanDerMark:

I am sorry you don't believe humans could be saints.

I guess your solution is forget everything, and go live in caves.

No room for anyone in your world?
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#444934 May 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no authority to judge if our teachings are biblically based and the words of Jesus.
Yeah we do Anthony, as Christians who follow the teachings of God and are baptized with the Baptism of Jesus.
If we do not have a burden for lost souls, we can not be born again.
Because that is what Jesus came and died for! lost souls.
We are Gods workmanship,(GOD WORKING THROUGH US).
Its not our good works, its Gods good works.
That saved us, and works in and through us.
That we carry on the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Relaying the message of salvation to the lost.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#444935 May 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Heck, these new born again evangelicals don't consider Lutheran or Methodist Christian anymore! nuts..
How did you do at Vermillion? My plans fell through at Pine City. I did well on the Mississippi yesterday but I ain't eating them!
Lutheran, and Methodist, are denominations , when someone says who do you follow do you say catholic, no you say I follow Jesus.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#444936 May 25, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
I'd ask that we stick to the subject at hand. I've been trying to find evidence of any groups between the time St. John penned Revelation and the protestant reformation that held today;s protestant evangelical beliefs. Many of the protestant posters here insist that the early Church was sola scriptura/sola fide, yet none have ever been able to point to any writing, any evidence, any secular proofs to support this theory....absolutely nothing. Can you help?
Anthony...when you show us the Temple in Jerusalem with a Catholic title over the door, we will get serious about this.
N.T. writers spoke of the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ, or the Church of God. Otherwise they called them by location: THE Church at Ephesus, or Pergamus, or Rome, etc.
Jesus used sola scripture when answering to Satan's temptation. He said, "It is WRITTEN". He could have truthfully called Satan a liar, or a destroyer, or a tempter, but He knew the POWER of God's Word...and used it. It still works.
KayMarie
I'm very serious Kay. It's important for you to understand that while you attack Catholicism, you have no more support for your own beliefs than any other protestant group who uses the bible for their own particular brand of Christianity. Since all of your competing groups use the bible and claim your interpretations are the same as the early Christians, why can't ANY of you show early Christians expressing beliefs similar to yours?

I think the most intellectually honest thing for you to do would be to at least admit you believe that "real authentic" Christianity didn't exist after the apostles died until your refromers came onto the scene 1400 years later. To perpetuate this fantasy that "Christians" remained hidden and/or persecuted by the Catholic Church during those years is absurd.
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#444937 May 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If an all-powerful god can't dispose of evil, that is because "according to the theology" the god CREATED evil.
You people want to ignore THAT scripture ... DON'T you???
It doesn't suit your "desires."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >
Isaiah 45:7
Douay-Rheims Bible
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things
June VanDerMark:

Well, you picked a simple scripture and glean from it what you want to see. Sounds so religious of you...Haha.

Perhaps in this scripture, the Lord must punish as a father does an undisciplined child, depending on one's perspective and lesson learned, it could be said that the distress and sadness we go through seems evil, but was always good.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#444938 May 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Clay, sorry your plans didn't work out, probably for the better though...we got soaked with cold rain and 20 mph winds, but we did catch about 15 keepers. As always the lake was beautiful and I'm already trying to figure out how to get back up there again before summer is out. I've heard it's safe to eat one or two from the Mississippi, but I rarely fish it, only when we're boating above the Coon Rapids dam.
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#444939 May 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
So today's theology is all about honesty. tongue in cheek
My evil side just received word from on high.
The god wants you to be honest. He says it's not a shame that he created evil. That's why he didn't dispose of the devil. He needs hell and the devil to assist him while he's serving the evil side of his nature.
He wants you to know that while you are bragging about his love for you, and how he will punish others ... that you don't fool him. He sees your arrogant stances, and that makes his evil side lusting to put you in your places. He sees you need to learn humility and stop speaking for him. He's had more than enough from you.
June VanDerMark:

Applauds. I think you are learning something here. You have some profound depth in your paragraphs here. And I have learned as well.

I knew you had it in you girl. Keep going.

Though God needs nothing, his providence can use all things. He is not beyond using any and all means to bring us into unity with Him. He even sacrificed Himself on the Cross for us.(He didn't have to do it.)
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#444940 May 25, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah we do Anthony, as Christians who follow the teachings of God and are baptized with the Baptism of Jesus.
If we do not have a burden for lost souls, we can not be born again.
Because that is what Jesus came and died for! lost souls.
We are Gods workmanship,(GOD WORKING THROUGH US).
Its not our good works, its Gods good works.
That saved us, and works in and through us.
That we carry on the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Relaying the message of salvation to the lost.
You can't even string together misspelled words to make a grammatically correct sentence, so I have no doubt you don't have the authority to interpret the bible and judge other's doctrines. You're message is wrong because it's not what was taught by Christ or the apostles. Sorry.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#444941 May 25, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Lutheran, and Methodist, are denominations , when someone says who do you follow do you say catholic, no you say I follow Jesus.
No, you follow your own judgement as to what you think Jesus says. You still have that authority problem don't you?

#444942 May 25, 2013
[who="Anthony MN"
I'm very serious Kay. It's important for you to understand that while you attack Catholicism, you have no more support for your own beliefs than any other protestant group who uses the bible for their own particular brand of Christianity. Since all of your competing groups use the bible and claim your interpretations are the same as the early Christians, why can't ANY of you show early Christians expressing beliefs similar to yours?
I think the most intellectually honest thing for you to do would be to at least admit you believe that "real authentic" Christianity didn't exist after the apostles died until your refromers came onto the scene 1400 years later. To perpetuate this fantasy that "Christians" remained hidden and/or persecuted by the Catholic Church during those years is absurd.

I, too, am very serious, Anthony.
(1)Jesus used scripture alone to escape temptation: "It is written".(Sola scripture)
(2)All of the N.T. workers baptized.(Baptists)
(3)All of the Apostles and new converts received the Holy Ghost, and spoke with other tongues.(Pentecost)
(4)The N.T. churches practiced prophecy, healing, interpretation, etc.(Pentecost)
(5)The N.T. ministers practiced the 'laying on of hands'(Presbyterian)
(6)Jesus sent the disciples two by two to minister the gospel.(Methodist)

Shall I go on? We would do well to be more unified, but sometimes I think that God allowed different groups to emphasize different aspects of ministry to preserve them. Each aspect has its own 'basket'.

No, I didn't mention the Eucharist. All of us participate in the communion of our Lord; not in a ritualistic fashion. Read the account in I Corinthians, and you will discover that their communion was shared much like the Last Supper. We've all become more formal about it...but all of us need to find 'true communion'.

KayMarie

#444943 May 25, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
You can't even string together misspelled words to make a grammatically correct sentence, so I have no doubt you don't have the authority to interpret the bible and judge other's doctrines. You're message is wrong because it's not what was taught by Christ or the apostles. Sorry.
Easy on her, Anthony. It is well-known that Jesus disciples were not college graduates. They were all simple Galilee ans, and did not even speak other languages. Thus the crowd that heard them speak in their different languages on the day of Pentecost were astounded.
God STILL chooses things that are not, to confound the 'wise of this world'.
KayMarie
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#444944 May 25, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
you do not teach the words of Jesus...
I receive and proclaim HIS word each day, but I don't claim to have the authority teach them--(AS A MATTER OF FACT---NEITHER DO YOU)------ HOWEVER ------Jesus Christs One True Catholic Church---"DOES"---No t only does the Catholic Church "TEACH THE TRUE (interpretive) of the WORDS OF JESUS"---but they do it--each and every day at Daily Mass...... But--then--you wouldn't know "anything" about that Confrinting, because you are so "caught up and stuck" into your "ministry of hate" for the TRUTH of the TRUE GOSPEL of Jesus Christ and His One True Catholic Church that "quoting and worshiping bible verses" and attacking the faith of other Christians (especially Catholics) is the basis and the flimsy(shallow depth) of your entire(self appointed) ministry!!!

Location hidden

#444945 May 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
We must never pay attention to that kind of stuff, even if some parts seem true. I do believe we have one of the greatest Popes we've had. Actually the last 3 have been phenomenal. Their placement in this moment of history is interesting.
I saw a 'What, Why, and Do It' description on the last 3 Popes from someone.
Pope John Paul II- First Pope to reach out to Protestants with a less stern voice and more open arms. Articulated WHAT we Catholics believe very well to them and us.
Benedict XVI - Brilliant theologian and Biblical expert. Even some notable Protestant Ministers are in awe of his insights into the scriptures. He explained WHY we believe what we do.
Pope Francis -' What we believe (from JP II ), Why we believe it (from Benedict), now Go and Do It from Pope Francis.
I believe the Holy Spirit chose the last 3 for a reason. But I'm not personally convinced of the end of the world hoopla. I think the real persecution of the Church has only begun. You can see the tip of the iceberg with growing atheism and hatred towards the Catholic Church by others.
This 'prophecy' from Archbishop George of Chicago is probably more accurate:
"I expect to die in my bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square"
I think there is more evil to come about before Christ comes back.
Yeah...a great pope!!!!

Atheists deny the existence of God...The Bible says unbelievers will never enter Heaven...the pope says God got it wrong again....everybody, including atheists are going to Heaven!!!!
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#444946 May 25, 2013
[who="Anthony MN"
I, too, am very serious, Anthony.
(1)Jesus used scripture alone to escape temptation: "It is written".(Sola scripture)
(2)All of the N.T. workers baptized.(Baptists)
(3)All of the Apostles and new converts received the Holy Ghost, and spoke with other tongues.(Pentecost)
(4)The N.T. churches practiced prophecy, healing, interpretation, etc.(Pentecost)
(5)The N.T. ministers practiced the 'laying on of hands'(Presbyterian)
(6)Jesus sent the disciples two by two to minister the gospel.(Methodist)
Shall I go on? We would do well to be more unified, but sometimes I think that God allowed different groups to emphasize different aspects of ministry to preserve them. Each aspect has its own 'basket'.
No, I didn't mention the Eucharist. All of us participate in the communion of our Lord; not in a ritualistic fashion. Read the account in I Corinthians, and you will discover that their communion was shared much like the Last Supper. We've all become more formal about it...but all of us need to find 'true communion'.
KayMarie
1. Jesus used scripture, He did not use scripture alone (Catholic doctrine).

The rest are also done in the Catholic Church. In fact, these communities you mention got these traditions from the Catholic Church, they just changed the meaning of them to be virtually pointless because they deny they are grace filled.

Kay, because protestants are not united in their interpretation of scripture (so using the bible alone can't work), I'm asking you to refer me to any documentation or historical evidence which proves that the early Christian Church after the death of St. John unitl the protestant reformation, held to your, or any evangelical protestant beliefs.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#444947 May 25, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
Easy on her, Anthony. It is well-known that Jesus disciples were not college graduates. They were all simple Galilee ans, and did not even speak other languages. Thus the crowd that heard them speak in their different languages on the day of Pentecost were astounded.
God STILL chooses things that are not, to confound the 'wise of this world'.
KayMarie
She spends a lot of time here, almost as much as your husband, damning to hell the Catholic Church based on her reading of scripture. If I'm to give her any consideration at all, shouldn't I at least expect her reading and comprehension skills to be better than a 3rd grader? Keep in mind that St. Peter warned us against those who were unqualified to interpret scripture....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Catcher1 837,717
i am board dose anyone want to talk? 5 min set free in truth 23
Tax Return THIEVES STEALING 'BILLONS' claimin... 5 min Docto REALITY 6
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 7 min Tony17 439
China sends armed officers to Nepal for relief ops 10 min thomennaro 1
Why Pentecostals give Christianity a bad name. (Nov '09) 11 min set free in truth 3
gay guys looking to hookup in Gilbert AZ. 15 min Blake420 1
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 24 min dollarsbill 4,223
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 44 min RADEKT 271,297
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 45 min lisw 176,851
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 hr Truths 612,160
More from around the web