Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
428,841 - 428,860 of 532,441 Comments Last updated 5 min ago
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that the original Christian claim was that people who did not believe in Jesus as their savior would burn in hell.
You are trying to change the basis of Christianity to suit your own desires.
Sorry to butt in on your converation. Posted on here about 3 years ago.

Anyway first ..I believe God wants our worship. Jesus gave His life that we can be saved. But I have this feelinh that the Reformation needed to happen . That bible study was needed.not just the words from the priests. I think this was a,God thing. He saw what was happening in His Church.(Selling indulgence..persecution etc)'

He wanted another way to get His message across. Imo. Today Catholics have bible study. John Paul called for unity in denominations. He also sought to make apologies to the Jews.
we are adopted children of Abraham
God said He would bless those who blessed His Chosen.
With the Reformation came the quest for Religious freedom without which this country would not exist as she is. And Israel would not have an ally.
All through history only God can look ahead.

As for the differences in RCC and Protestant. IMO I THINK God may be smiling at some of it.. and angry with all the dissension IMO.

IN the end it comes down not to rituals and churches. It comes to our relationship with our Saviuor. That is what He will look at our hearts.
IMO

and will end with this link from another forum.
Kind of shook me up actually .maybe you gave seen it. Its about Pipe Francis message.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/pope...

Peace and God bless you
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
Never passed 'rithmatic did ya? There's a billion+ more Catholics than pentecostals...
And THAT is why the CC has so many more offenders???
KM
It's simple.

All are sinners. There are a lot more Catholics than pentecostals. As a percentage though, the pentecostals are more likely to sexually abuse.

Simple biblical truth. Simple arithmetic. Simple statistics.

Maybe you two should read something other than the bible once in awhile.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Inquisitions are not in the bible. You must've gotten your information somewhere else. Where?
History :
"What were the Inquisitions?"
Answer: The Inquisitions were judicial institutions or tribunals that were established by the Roman Catholic Church in order to seek out, try, and sentence people that the Roman Catholic Church believed to be guilty of heresy. The purpose of the inquisitions was to secure and maintain religious and doctrinal unity in the Roman Catholic Church and throughout the Holy Roman Empire, through either the conversion or persecution of alleged heretics. Historians generally distinguish the Inquisitions based on four different time frames and areas that they took place in. These are the Medieval or Episcopal Inquisition, the Spanish Inquisition, the Portuguese Inquisition, and the Roman Inquisition.
Prior to the founding of the Roman Catholic Church and the establishment of their version of Christianity as the official state religion of the Roman Empire in the 4th century, the punishment for heresy among Christians was usually excommunication from the church. However, with the marriage of church and state that arose in the 4th century, people that the Roman Catholic Church considered to be heretics also came to be considered as enemies of the state and were subject to many forms of extreme punishment, including death. It wasn’t until the 12th century that official Inquisitions were organized and sanctioned by the Roman Catholic Church to officially deal with what they saw as a rise in organized heretical groups within the Holy Roman Empire.
The first of the Inquisitions is known as the Medieval or Episcopal Inquisition and refers to the various tribunals that started around 1184. It includes the Episcopal Inquisition (1184-1230) and the Papal Inquisition (1230), which arose in response to large popular movements in Europe that were considered to be heretical by the Roman Catholic Church.
cont
youtube

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

cont
It was during this time (1231) that Pope Gregory IX shifted the power to punish heretics away from the local bishops and put the inquisitors under the special jurisdiction and authority of the papacy. He also established severe penalties for those found guilty of committing heresy, and his decree set forth new guidelines for investigating and punishing heresy in the Holy Roman Empire. Generally, when an Inquisition was set up to investigate heresy in a particular area of the Holy Roman Empire, the Pope would appoint two inquisitors, each of which had equal authority in the Inquisition or tribunal. Because these inquisitors had the power to investigate and excommunicate even princes, they wielded enormous power and influence in the Holy Roman Empire.
While some of the inquisitors had reputations as being men of justice and mercy, others were known to subject people to cruel and unusual punishment, including many different kinds of torture, which is what the Inquisitions are generally remembered for. Because they could imprison suspects that they thought were lying, some inquisitors used torture as an attempt to get them to admit what the inquisitor wanted to hear. In 1252 Pope Innocent IV officially sanctioned torture as a way of extracting the “truth” from suspects. Prior to that time, this type of extreme punishment was foreign to church tradition and practice. During the Spanish Inquisition alone, as many as 2,000 people were burned at the stake within one decade after the Inquisition began.
The next major Inquisition period is known as the Spanish Inquisition. It was set up by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain in 1478 with the approval of Pope Sixtus IV. Unlike the previous Inquisition, it was completely under royal authority and was staffed by secular clergy. It mainly focused on Jews who had professed to be converts to Roman Catholicism but who were suspected of having continued to practice Judaism. Later on, with the spread of Protestantism into Spain, the Inquisition would also begin to persecute Protestants who broke away from the Roman Catholic Church. However, after the decline in religious disputes in the 17th century, the Spanish Inquisition essentially became more like a secret police that would investigate and retaliate against internal threats to the Spanish authorities. The Spanish Inquisition is probably the most infamous for its torture and the number of people executed as a result of it. One historian estimated that over the course of its history the Spanish Inquisition tried a total of 341,021 people, of whom at least 10 percent (31,912) were executed.
cont
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

cont
Another important period is known as the Portuguese Inquisition and was established in Portugal in 1536 by the king of Portugal, João III, and operated much like the more famous Spanish Inquisition. Later, in 1560, in India and other parts of the Portuguese Empire in Asia, the Goa Inquisition was set up in the Indian city of Goa to deal with converts from Hinduism who were suspected of continuing to practice or hold to some Hindu beliefs.
The last period is known as the Roman Inquisition, and it was established in 1542 when Pope Paul III established the Holy Office as the final court of appeals in all trials of heresy. This group was made up of cardinals and other officials whose task was to maintain and defend the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church. This group played an important role in the Counter-Reformation, and it was also this body that condemned Galileo for “grave suspicion of heresy” and banned all of his works in 1633 for teaching that the sun was the center of the universe and that the earth revolved around it. In 1965, Pope Paul VI reorganized the Holy Office and renamed it as the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and it remains in effect todayThe next major Inquisition period is known as the Spanish Inquisition. It was set up by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain in 1478 with the approval of Pope Sixtus IV. Unlike the previous Inquisition, it was completely under royal authority and was staffed by secular clergy. It mainly focused on Jews who had professed to be converts to Roman Catholicism but who were suspected of having continued to practice Judaism. Later on, with the spread of Protestantism into Spain, the Inquisition would also begin to persecute Protestants who broke away from the Roman Catholic Church. However, after the decline in religious disputes in the 17th century, the Spanish Inquisition essentially became more like a secret police that would investigate and retaliate against internal threats to the Spanish authorities. The Spanish Inquisition is probably the most infamous for its torture and the number of people executed as a result of it. One historian estimated that over the course of its history the Spanish Inquisition tried a total of 341,021 people, of whom at least 10 percent (31,912) were executed.
Another important period is known as the Portuguese Inquisition and was established in Portugal in 1536 by the king of Portugal, João III, and operated much like the more famous Spanish Inquisition. Later, in 1560, in India and other parts of the Portuguese Empire in Asia, the Goa Inquisition was set up in the Indian city of Goa to deal with converts from Hinduism who were suspected of continuing to practice or hold to some Hindu beliefs.
The last period is known as the Roman Inquisition, and it was established in 1542 when Pope Paul III established the Holy Office as the final court of appeals in all trials of heresy. This group was made up of cardinals and other officials whose task was to maintain and defend the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church. This group played an important role in the Counter-Reformation, and it was also this body that condemned Galileo for “grave suspicion of heresy” and banned all of his works in 1633 for teaching that the sun was the center of the universe and that the earth revolved around it. In 1965, Pope Paul VI reorganized the Holy Office and renamed it as the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and it remains in effect today.
www.gotquestions.org/inquisitions.html

Since: Sep 09

Kitimat, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

<quoted text>
~~~~
A person can find and receive Jesus any where..
You wouldn't find a Jew frequenting a Christian church, and certainly not leading you into a Christian church.

Wish as you might ... it just wouldn't happen.

Kitimat, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It's simple.
All are sinners. There are a lot more Catholics than pentecostals. As a percentage though, the pentecostals are more likely to sexually abuse.
Your habits are to point fingers the neighbors ... and to not account for anything in your own back yards.

Kitimat, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

who="Regina"
Jesus' church/bride is not worldly. She is pure, without spot or wrinkle.
:)

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
You just told June that she will burn in hell while you, precious you, will be saved.
LTM has declared herself god and has pronounced judgment.
~~~

Since you have declared ....PRONOUNCED ...THAT... LTM IS GOD!

Are you going to worship her as you do... Mary the Mother of Jesus...

WILL YOU MAKE A STATUE, AN ICON. AND IMAGE, AND IDOL OF WHAT YOU
THINK SHE LOOKS LIKE AND SET IT IN YOUR MAUSOLEUM AND BOW DOWN BEFORE IT...

LOL

Kitimat, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Another example of what God has given us through His church, and the first and foremost gift: The Real Presence of Jesus Christ, whole and entire, body, blood, soul, and divinity.
You are a Christian grasping and lusting after a Jew.

You no-doubt don't want sex with him, but your lust for salvation is still lust and nothing BUT lust.

Regina

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

<quoted text>
~~~
LOL
She pronounced herself as God by sending June to hell and herself to heaven.

Get new reading glasses.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

<quoted text>
~~~
LOL
And your disparaging remarks about His church and His mother are duly noted.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a Christian grasping and lusting after a Jew.
You no-doubt don't want sex with him, but your lust for salvation is still lust and nothing BUT lust.
I don't know that I'd use the word lust. No, that's not it at all.
But I certainly do want to go to heaven. Who wouldn't? Never mind, don't answer that.
Human Being

Kinder, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting little piece from a blogger about St. John Cassian:
The Eight Demons of St. John Cassian
My life, along with many others (though I forget this often), has been a continual struggle with sin. I am not alone in this, and there is a kind of comfort in that. I found this out especially when I stumbled upon some writings of St. John Cassian in the Philokalia, arguably the most important spiritual text in the Christian East aside from the Scriptures.
The first vice that Cassian speaks of is control of the stomach,followed by unchastity, avarice, anger, dejection, listlessness, self-esteem, and pride. I think that "self-esteem" would jump out immediately to the modern reader of the above list, but in this case, Cassian seems to be referring to a kind of pride, a seeking out and enjoying of the compliments and flattery of others.
http://ascentofcarmel.blogspot.com/2012/11/th...
There are so many wonderful saints from whom we can learn.
Regina:

I have read Cassian's "Conferences", and is on my list of rereading material.

Along similar lines is St. John Climacus, "Ladder of Divine Ascent"

I am quite appreciative of their work in defining vices, and work on being aware, and fighting them.

At the present I am rereading Imitation of Christ, Catherine of Siena's "Prayers", Hadewijch's "Complete Works, and JPII's, "Threshold of Hope"(for a little lite reading). I like switching around a bit, as the Spirit moves me.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

who=" Anthony MN"
It's simple.

Your statistics, I suppose???

I'll stick with the Bible...

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
cont
Another important period is known as the Portuguese Inquisition and was
www.gotquestions.org/inquisitions.html
Gotquestions? A protestant evangelical website of course.

Well, I suppose half-truths are better than abject ignorance. Mostly wrong here, but some correct observations. Note that they indicate an estimate of 30 some thousand executions, yet you and the confrinters always say "millions". The executions (however many there truly were) were carried out by the secular authority, not the Church.

These are the same people who say Jesus drank alcoholic wine and served it to others. Are you sure you want to hitch your wagons to them LTM?
Human Being

Kinder, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your SMOOTH words don't fool me.
You adhere as much to your religious cult as do the ones that SHOUT it out.
There's not a question in my mind that you perceive yourself as very holy indeed, and are quite willing to believe that others deserve hell and all it entails.
June VanDerMark:

Well. I suppose I do talk with smooth words, but if that reflects who I am, why should I deny it? For me, the rough, the mountains and valleys, have been made smooth.

Perhaps you perceive what you want, or need to support your own belief system?

I am much more easy-going than you perceive. Hmmm. Even yesterday a stranger made that comment to me.

I plead for the salvation of all souls. And I believe that. I don't have this dichotomy of thinking heaven or hell. The rest is up to God.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

CATHOLICISM is in one of the darkest periods of its history - and the worst ever in the United States - according to a visiting priest who has just finished an international 10-part television series about the church.

Media expert Robert Barron says the sexual abuse crisis has ''undermined the church in almost every aspect of its life'', but because ''the wrong people are telling the story''(the secular media) only the negative side emerges.

''There's always been a shadow side over the church: the Crusades, the Inquisition, the witch burnings. But that doesn't undermine the beauty and integrity of the church,'' he said yesterday.
Father Barron is in Melbourne as a Catholic evangelist, speaking to young people, churches and theological faculties, as part of a 13-day national tour.

''If you'd asked me 20 years ago about the worst time in US Catholic history, I would have said the 19th century, when they were pulling down convents and burning rectories, but the sexual abuse scandal has been worse.

''When you hear Catholic you hear sex abuse, paedophile, protecting abusers. Regrettably that is part of the story, but it's such a great reduction of the huge history and tradition.''
The way forward, he says, is back to basics: to simplicity, works of mercy, prayer and poverty, to faith, hope and love.

''We should be looking right now for the saints who pop up in times of crisis, as saints Francis, Dominic, Benedict and Ignatius did.''
Father Barron reaches out particularly through new media, where his YouTube videos have been seen 3.5 million times.''The church can't assume people will stream into schools and parishes to be evangelised - we need to go get them, reach out to the general culture.''

The television series, being shown on more than 250 US channels, takes 10 ''great themes'', from Jesus, God and Mary to the church, the sacraments and the last days.

It cost $3 million to make, a big commitment given the way the sexual abuse crisis has emptied church coffers.''I was a beggar for about two years. A lot of lay Catholics said,'We want to get behind this because the church has been so knocked about by negative publicity, we want something uplifting'.''

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
And your disparaging remarks about His church and His mother are duly noted.
BY WHOM?

WHO'S CHURCH...PETER'S,...

I AM A PART OF GOD'S CHURCH....I DON'T WORSHIP THE SUPPORTING

ACTORS...I ONLY WORSHIP AND SERVE GOD...IN JESUS NAME...

NEITHER AM I INVOLVE WITH THE STAGE PROPS...

JESUS SAID...TO THE DEVIL

and I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REMIND ANY ONE THAT SUPPOSED TO BE A BELIEVER..

He said..

Mat_4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written,

Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Luk_4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written,

Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

373 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 min Godchild 114,974
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min I LOVE TORTURING ATHEISTS 720,224
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 min Rosa_Winkel 93,658
Have any girls on here had sex with a dog??? (Feb '12) 15 min JSarah 63
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 18 min shyam 4,482
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 24 min andet1987 3,946
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 28 min Kudu 395
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Catcher1 172,267
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Insults Are Easier 256,381