Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 548,865
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#444744 May 24, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Since you have declared ....PRONOUNCED ...THAT... LTM IS GOD!
Are you going to worship her as you do... Mary the Mother of Jesus...
WILL YOU MAKE A STATUE, AN ICON. AND IMAGE, AND IDOL OF WHAT YOU
THINK SHE LOOKS LIKE AND SET IT IN YOUR MAUSOLEUM AND BOW DOWN BEFORE IT...
LOL
And your disparaging remarks about His church and His mother are duly noted.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#444745 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a Christian grasping and lusting after a Jew.
You no-doubt don't want sex with him, but your lust for salvation is still lust and nothing BUT lust.
:)
I don't know that I'd use the word lust. No, that's not it at all.
But I certainly do want to go to heaven. Who wouldn't? Never mind, don't answer that.
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#444746 May 24, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting little piece from a blogger about St. John Cassian:
The Eight Demons of St. John Cassian
My life, along with many others (though I forget this often), has been a continual struggle with sin. I am not alone in this, and there is a kind of comfort in that. I found this out especially when I stumbled upon some writings of St. John Cassian in the Philokalia, arguably the most important spiritual text in the Christian East aside from the Scriptures.
The first vice that Cassian speaks of is control of the stomach,followed by unchastity, avarice, anger, dejection, listlessness, self-esteem, and pride. I think that "self-esteem" would jump out immediately to the modern reader of the above list, but in this case, Cassian seems to be referring to a kind of pride, a seeking out and enjoying of the compliments and flattery of others.
http://ascentofcarmel.blogspot.com/2012/11/th...
There are so many wonderful saints from whom we can learn.
Regina:

I have read Cassian's "Conferences", and is on my list of rereading material.

Along similar lines is St. John Climacus, "Ladder of Divine Ascent"

I am quite appreciative of their work in defining vices, and work on being aware, and fighting them.

At the present I am rereading Imitation of Christ, Catherine of Siena's "Prayers", Hadewijch's "Complete Works, and JPII's, "Threshold of Hope"(for a little lite reading). I like switching around a bit, as the Spirit moves me.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#444747 May 24, 2013
who=" Anthony MN"
It's simple.
All are sinners. There are a lot more Catholics than pentecostals. As a percentage though, the pentecostals are more likely to sexually abuse.
Simple biblical truth. Simple arithmetic. Simple statistics.
Maybe you two should read something other than the bible once in awhile.

Your statistics, I suppose???

I'll stick with the Bible...

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#444748 May 24, 2013
LTM wrote:
cont
Another important period is known as the Portuguese Inquisition and was
www.gotquestions.org/inquisitions.html
Gotquestions? A protestant evangelical website of course.

Well, I suppose half-truths are better than abject ignorance. Mostly wrong here, but some correct observations. Note that they indicate an estimate of 30 some thousand executions, yet you and the confrinters always say "millions". The executions (however many there truly were) were carried out by the secular authority, not the Church.

These are the same people who say Jesus drank alcoholic wine and served it to others. Are you sure you want to hitch your wagons to them LTM?
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#444749 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your SMOOTH words don't fool me.
You adhere as much to your religious cult as do the ones that SHOUT it out.
There's not a question in my mind that you perceive yourself as very holy indeed, and are quite willing to believe that others deserve hell and all it entails.
June VanDerMark:

Well. I suppose I do talk with smooth words, but if that reflects who I am, why should I deny it? For me, the rough, the mountains and valleys, have been made smooth.

Perhaps you perceive what you want, or need to support your own belief system?

I am much more easy-going than you perceive. Hmmm. Even yesterday a stranger made that comment to me.

I plead for the salvation of all souls. And I believe that. I don't have this dichotomy of thinking heaven or hell. The rest is up to God.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#444750 May 24, 2013
CATHOLICISM is in one of the darkest periods of its history - and the worst ever in the United States - according to a visiting priest who has just finished an international 10-part television series about the church.

Media expert Robert Barron says the sexual abuse crisis has ''undermined the church in almost every aspect of its life'', but because ''the wrong people are telling the story''(the secular media) only the negative side emerges.

''There's always been a shadow side over the church: the Crusades, the Inquisition, the witch burnings. But that doesn't undermine the beauty and integrity of the church,'' he said yesterday.
Father Barron is in Melbourne as a Catholic evangelist, speaking to young people, churches and theological faculties, as part of a 13-day national tour.

''If you'd asked me 20 years ago about the worst time in US Catholic history, I would have said the 19th century, when they were pulling down convents and burning rectories, but the sexual abuse scandal has been worse.

''When you hear Catholic you hear sex abuse, paedophile, protecting abusers. Regrettably that is part of the story, but it's such a great reduction of the huge history and tradition.''
The way forward, he says, is back to basics: to simplicity, works of mercy, prayer and poverty, to faith, hope and love.

''We should be looking right now for the saints who pop up in times of crisis, as saints Francis, Dominic, Benedict and Ignatius did.''
Father Barron reaches out particularly through new media, where his YouTube videos have been seen 3.5 million times.''The church can't assume people will stream into schools and parishes to be evangelised - we need to go get them, reach out to the general culture.''

The television series, being shown on more than 250 US channels, takes 10 ''great themes'', from Jesus, God and Mary to the church, the sacraments and the last days.

It cost $3 million to make, a big commitment given the way the sexual abuse crisis has emptied church coffers.''I was a beggar for about two years. A lot of lay Catholics said,'We want to get behind this because the church has been so knocked about by negative publicity, we want something uplifting'.''

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#444751 May 24, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
And your disparaging remarks about His church and His mother are duly noted.
BY WHOM?

WHO'S CHURCH...PETER'S,...

I AM A PART OF GOD'S CHURCH....I DON'T WORSHIP THE SUPPORTING

ACTORS...I ONLY WORSHIP AND SERVE GOD...IN JESUS NAME...

NEITHER AM I INVOLVE WITH THE STAGE PROPS...

JESUS SAID...TO THE DEVIL

and I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REMIND ANY ONE THAT SUPPOSED TO BE A BELIEVER..

He said..

Mat_4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written,

Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Luk_4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written,

Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#444752 May 24, 2013
Fr. Barron's "Youtube Heresy" ~ Part 4

The fourth and final "Youtube Heresy"is the over-exagerated relationship between religion and violence. This has become completely exacerbated after September 11th, 2001. The basic argument against faith from this perspective is that religion is so irrational, it must resort to violence. The arguments from this particular angle against Catholicism almost always brings up the Crusades, Inquisition, and most recently the sex-abuse scandal in the Church.

Although the reports of the Crusades are extremely unbalanced and the Inquisition numbers have been greatly overblown. The Crusades were in reality a retaliation against the Muslim invasion of the Holy Land and their violence against Christian pilgrims. For example, a group of about 7,000 German pilgrims were en-route to Jerusalem when a group of Muslim occupiers slaughtered all but 2,000 of them (all un-armed and many women and children). Nevertheless, I digress.

You can go "tit-for-tat" with what this and that group did throughout the course of history, but it is still really begging the question. The Church is holy, but Her members are sometimes not. This of course is not a license for clergy to do whatever they want, but a reality check. The sins committed within the Church, although many of them repulsive, do not alter Her mission which is immutable.

The Church has both human and divine dimensions. The Church with Her sacraments, teachings and apostolic tradition make up the mystical body of Christ. However, the people who are in the Church (even in the highest positions), are not prevented from doing stupid and sometimes horrible things. For an institution about 2,000 years old, its nothing less then miraculous that it is around at all but with 1 billion plus members. Its worth remembering also that the worst perpetrators of violence of all time were Hilter, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. They were not the products of religion, but militantly atheistic anti-religious ideologies.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#444753 May 24, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Regina:
I have read Cassian's "Conferences", and is on my list of rereading material.
Along similar lines is St. John Climacus, "Ladder of Divine Ascent"
I am quite appreciative of their work in defining vices, and work on being aware, and fighting them.
At the present I am rereading Imitation of Christ, Catherine of Siena's "Prayers", Hadewijch's "Complete Works, and JPII's, "Threshold of Hope"(for a little lite reading). I like switching around a bit, as the Spirit moves me.
You have such a beautiful spirituality, Robert. A little lite reading, LOL! Although, comparatively, I guess it is! It helps to read small amounts at a time as the writings are very deep. Also, don't forget to get out and live the faith, if possible. I don't know your situation and it sometimes isn't in the cards, but it's easy to close oneself in with God and His saints and forget to bring Him to others. I've been guilty of that far too much lately.

Peace be with you!
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#444754 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
From my perception you are very pompous in the attitude that you DO have understanding concerning issues of importance down pat.
June VanDerMark:

If you are saying that I prioritize, then you are correct.

Such a view, gives order in my life.
It is a luxury, some have not been afforded, and I do not take it for granted.

Trying to make or see the good in every situation does not come easy, and it has its price. A rather steep one.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#444755 May 24, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotquestions? A protestant evangelical website of course.
Well, I suppose half-truths are better than abject ignorance. Mostly wrong here, but some correct observations. Note that they indicate an estimate of 30 some thousand executions, yet you and the confrinters always say "millions". The executions (however many there truly were) were carried out by the secular authority, not the Church.
These are the same people who say Jesus drank alcoholic wine and served it to others. Are you sure you want to hitch your wagons to them LTM?
I don't think she reads any of this stuff, she just copies and pastes it. I don't think anybody else reads it either, we just scroll past. You must be the first, lol!

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#444756 May 24, 2013
<quoted text>
WILL YOU MAKE A STATUE, AN ICON. AND IMAGE, AND IDOL OF WHAT YOU
THINK SHE LOOKS LIKE AND SET IT IN YOUR MAUSOLEUM AND BOW DOWN BEFORE IT...
STOP ... you're exciting me.

Terrace, Canada

#444757 May 24, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to make or see the good in every situation does not come easy, and it has its price. A rather steep one.
It seems you overlooked that teaching in Christianity how others will go to hell for eternity.

I see nothing good in that belief that you maintain to idolize.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#444758 May 24, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that you caught Regina not being honest with others.
The many Catholics on this forum seem to have these same tendencies.
They think they can spin a tale to the other posters, on their belief, in such a way, they beleive what they say and dispute any other possibility.
This is a sign of someone being brainwashed.
I guess we can attribute the same to how June used to be - with 70 years under her belt.
In essence, it is very hard to be honest with one's Self.
Christianity takes this to the extreme.
What is ironic is that they try to rpomote honesty while being deceptive about it [an "incomplete Jesus" reference].
What gives??
If you follow the history of the church, you will find that it is inherent in the very structure of the organization and it's "builders" from the onset. What you are seeing now is the propagation of extreme apologetics in an effort to cover the exposure of the actuality of the facts, errors, and atrocities of the organization.
It would be comical, except the fact that it has cost over 250 million deaths and unimaginable misery to the world's civilization--and still is.

Terrace, Canada

#444759 May 24, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
I plead for the salvation of all souls.
WHY?... when you are certain that a god not only allows hell in his kingdom, but keeps it up and running for the wicked offenders ... of which you are NOT of course?

Human Being

Church Point, LA

#444760 May 24, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
CATHOLICISM is in one of the darkest periods of its history - and the worst ever in the United States - according to a visiting priest who has just finished an international 10-part television series about the church.
Media expert Robert Barron says the sexual abuse crisis has ''undermined the church in almost every aspect of its life'', but because ''the wrong people are telling the story''(the secular media) only the negative side emerges.
''There's always been a shadow side over the church: the Crusades, the Inquisition, the witch burnings. But that doesn't undermine the beauty and integrity of the church,'' he said yesterday.
Father Barron is in Melbourne as a Catholic evangelist, speaking to young people, churches and theological faculties, as part of a 13-day national tour.
''If you'd asked me 20 years ago about the worst time in US Catholic history, I would have said the 19th century, when they were pulling down convents and burning rectories, but the sexual abuse scandal has been worse.
''When you hear Catholic you hear sex abuse, paedophile, protecting abusers. Regrettably that is part of the story, but it's such a great reduction of the huge history and tradition.''
The way forward, he says, is back to basics: to simplicity, works of mercy, prayer and poverty, to faith, hope and love.
''We should be looking right now for the saints who pop up in times of crisis, as saints Francis, Dominic, Benedict and Ignatius did.''
Father Barron reaches out particularly through new media, where his YouTube videos have been seen 3.5 million times.''The church can't assume people will stream into schools and parishes to be evangelised - we need to go get them, reach out to the general culture.''
The television series, being shown on more than 250 US channels, takes 10 ''great themes'', from Jesus, God and Mary to the church, the sacraments and the last days.
It cost $3 million to make, a big commitment given the way the sexual abuse crisis has emptied church coffers.''I was a beggar for about two years. A lot of lay Catholics said,'We want to get behind this because the church has been so knocked about by negative publicity, we want something uplifting'.''
Hermeneutics Smutics:

I understand the need to get something uplifting.

But I focus more upon the Church bearing the Cross and falling, even disoriented in the struggle forward. It is more a privilege to do so, even to the end.

Terrace, Canada

#444761 May 24, 2013
I'll stick with the Bible...
KayMarie
I'll bet you will. Even though a Jew wouldn't.

Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#444762 May 24, 2013
Crusade Myths
Fr. Rick Heilman

So, what is the real story of the Crusades? As you might imagine, it is a long story. But there are good histories, written in the last twenty years, that lay much of it out. For the moment, given the barrage of coverage that the Crusades are getting nowadays, it might be best to consider just what the Crusades were not. Here, then, are some of the most common myths and why they are wrong.
http://www.knightsofdivinemercy.com/2010/09/1...

Terrace, Canada

#444763 May 24, 2013
The god supposedly keeps hell open for use, and some Christians want to keep souls out of hell.

What a dirty trick to play against the god that works so hard to keep things on the level.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Stilgar Fifrawi 751,116
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min New Age Spiritual... 230,092
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 min Tim Osman 118,658
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 4 min Johnny 3,699
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 6 min trifecta1 602,235
GloBULL warming 12 min andet1987 3
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 16 min andet1987 5,508
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr RADEKT 261,707
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Feb '14) 8 hr Dubai Massage 055... 119

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE