Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
428,521 - 428,540 of 539,402 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
marge

Ames, IA

#444405 May 23, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
KJV...
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
NABre...
Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.
OH, those two versions say something different!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#444406 May 23, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
God on earth in human likeness.
Yes He was God.
If you feel comfortable trashing your Catholic Encyclopedia and your pope approved Bible....and in do doing call your pope a dope...be my guest!!!!

NABre...
Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.
Rather, he emptied himself, aking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross.

Catholic Encyclopedia quote: Christ..the incarnate Son of God the redeemer of the human race...
Yahchanan

Piedmont, OK

#444407 May 23, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Bacon, bacon, bacon!
:)
Make sure you eat allot of it because when cancer and Alzheimer's And Parkinson's disease Sits In we don't want you to suffer to much....Why do you think he cast demons into swine and drove them off a cliff he knew they Only had one use And that was to clean the earth.....They are not fit for consumption.

The creator knows what you should eat or not eat he made you....

And you know when he says you shall surly die if you do this or that he don't mean right away but he is taking days months and years from your life This goes back to those mean old nasty laws you are so scared of......Did you get my link of the beast colors you know the ones from the roman catholick church seems they left the blue out because they represent the law.

Good news during the thousand year rein you will be taught the law by people like me and you will come to love them As I do...Or guess what you will not be there...he will not allow heaven to become defiled like this earth......

Location hidden

#444408 May 23, 2013
marge wrote:
'thought it not robbery to be equal with God:'
equal: Having the same quantity, measure, or value as another.

How old are you!!!!

Location hidden

#444409 May 23, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
OH, those two versions say something different!
One is the mainstay of Catholics....the other of the Protestants...both say the same thing....so...what version are you using that says the opposite????
marge

Ames, IA

#444410 May 23, 2013
nite Oxbow, I never been catholic and don't know what the word incarnate means.

thought you were catholic influenced. Blessings.
Yahchanan

Piedmont, OK

#444411 May 23, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the links you put up were quite interesting... I hope they have the funding and permissions to continue.
Cool thanks allot.Can I ask you Did you understand the name thing....I will try and explain it.One of the oldest text is the dead sea scrolls wrote in Aramaic.A form of Hebrew.when it comes to the creators name It read YHWH In short Yahweh. First you have to understand this is not a translation In almost every king james If it has A concordance See God And or Yahweh It says that the words lord god baal were added to his name because the divine reverence of his name was believed to be to holy to be spoken so Mortal man changed his name Making him A god.Nothing Makes him A god but man.But People do not get this I think to understand this you must be called and chosen ....Most people have never even heard of this name.And it is in every concordance around. And he even says you will cause them to forget my name any who hope you understand it...
Yahchanan

Piedmont, OK

#444412 May 23, 2013
You know if it is true he died on A cross And I think it was just A pole we are all guilty of his murder.

Location hidden

#444413 May 23, 2013
I am thankful that I are not a Catholic!!!!!

(CNN)-– American atheists welcomed Pope Francis’ comments that God redeems nonbelievers, saying that the new pontiff's historic outreach is helping to topple longstanding barriers.

“The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone,” the pope told worshipers at morning Mass on Wednesday.“‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!”

Atheist: One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

The Word of God says: He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Location hidden

#444414 May 23, 2013
marge wrote:
nite Oxbow, I never been catholic and don't know what the word incarnate means.
thought you were catholic influenced. Blessings.
Don't matter...answer my question... "what version are you using that says the opposite????"

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#444415 May 23, 2013
Yahchanan wrote:
<quoted text>Cool thanks allot.Can I ask you Did you understand the name thing....I will try and explain it.One of the oldest text is the dead sea scrolls wrote in Aramaic.A form of Hebrew.when it comes to the creators name It read YHWH In short Yahweh. First you have to understand this is not a translation In almost every king james If it has A concordance See God And or Yahweh It says that the words lord god baal were added to his name because the divine reverence of his name was believed to be to holy to be spoken so Mortal man changed his name Making him A god.Nothing Makes him A god but man.But People do not get this I think to understand this you must be called and chosen ....Most people have never even heard of this name.And it is in every concordance around. And he even says you will cause them to forget my name any who hope you understand it...
Ya. I did/do understand that. All combinations are prefixed and/or suffixed to denote the particular "holding" of that name at any given point. Most folks will think that another "god" when it is actually one and the same base, but in different duty or time.
Yahchanan

Piedmont, OK

#444416 May 24, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya. I did/do understand that. All combinations are prefixed and/or suffixed to denote the particular "holding" of that name at any given point. Most folks will think that another "god" when it is actually one and the same base, but in different duty or time.
Well kinda but what i am saying is The creator Is not A god At all he is Yahweh your heavenly father But what better trick for satan to play on the world by having the world worship A god that could be satan her self yes I believe satan is a woman I was once married to her lol......Thanks And May the creator bless you.Even though people may not agree least they can do is stay civil...but you do not see that much...Just like marge she knows i do not eat pork so she try's and hurt me by saying bacon bacon bacon....This Is the difference between righteousness And evil.
truth

Perth, Australia

#444417 May 24, 2013
evil is always evil they will give you miracle like never before but nothing to do with your real Creator..evil can be nice too..
good too..much more..

now i am not care what you say..truly i am not to much care..no evil plus evil can't be two evil=one big evil as they prepare one big darkness..

now

do you need respect someone who destroy your life
nooooooo

you don't need respect not even love..

I don't asked anything from anyone
evil is some in past today as well future.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#444418 May 24, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read what the pope said today?
I didn't, I just seen some quotes from about it. It looks like there is some hoopla about it. I don't know why, because God loves the Atheist equal as the Protestant Minister or Catholic Priest. If He didn't, He wouldn't be God.
There are many intangibles on why someone is Atheist. Were they forced into it behind the iron curtain or China? Did their parents raise them that way?
Only God can see into our souls.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#444419 May 24, 2013
Colossions 2
6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#444420 May 24, 2013
1 Timothy 4

King James Version (KJV)

4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

9 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.

10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

11 These things command and teach.

12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#444421 May 24, 2013
Matthew 27:46

King James Version (KJV)

46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Verses 33-49

We have here the crucifixion of our Lord Jesus.

I. The place where our Lord Jesus was put to death.

1. They came to a place called Golgotha, near adjoining to Jerusalem, probably the common place of execution. If he had had a house of his own in Jerusalem, probably, for his greater disgrace, they would have crucified him before his own door. But now in the same place where criminals were sacrificed to the justice of the government, was our Lord Jesus sacrificed to the justice of God. Some think that it was called the place of a skull, because it was the common charnel–house, where the bones and skulls of dead men were laid together out of the way, lest people should touch them, and be defiled thereby. Here lay the trophies of death’s victory over multitudes of the children of men; and when by dying Christ would destroy death, he added this circumstance of honour to his victory, that he triumphed over death upon his own dunghill.

2. There they crucified him (Matt. 27:35), nailed his hands and feet to the cross, and then reared it up, and him hanging on it; for so the manner of the Romans was to crucify. Let our hearts be touched with the feeling of that exquisite pain which our blessed Saviour now endured, and let us look upon him who was thus pierced, and mourn. Was ever sorrow like unto his sorrow? And when we behold what manner of death he died, let us in that behold with what manner of love he loved us.

II. The barbarous and abusive treatment they gave him, in which their wit and malice vied which should excel. As if death, so great a death, were not bad enough, they contrived to add to the bitterness and terror of it.

1. By the drink they provided for him before he was nailed to the cross, Matt. 27:34. It was usual to have a cup of spiced wine for those to drink of, that were to be put to death, according to Solomon’s direction (Prov. 31:6, 7), Give strong drink to him that is ready to perish; but with that cup which Christ was to drink of, they mingled vinegar and gall, to make it sour and bitter. This signified,(1.) The sin of man, which is a root of bitterness, bearing gall and wormwood, Deut. 29:18. The sinner perhaps rolls it under his tongue as a sweet morsel, but to God it is grapes of gall, Deut. 32:32. It was so to the Lord Jesus, when he bare our sins, and sooner or later it will be so to the sinner himself, bitterness at the latter end, more bitter than death, Eccl. 7:26.(2.) It signified the wrath of God, that cup which is Father put into his hand, a bitter cup indeed, like the bitter water which caused the curse, Num. 5:18. This drink they offered him, as was literally foretold, Ps. 69:21. And,[1.] He tasted thereof, and so had the worst of it, took the bitter taste into his mouth; he let no bitter cup go by him untasted, when he was making atonement for all our sinful tasting of forbidden fruit; now he was tasting death in its full bitterness.[2.] He would not drink it, because he would not have the best of it; would have nothing like an opiate to lessen his sense of pain, for he would die so as to feel himself die, because he had so much work to do, as our High Priest, in his suffering work.

cont
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#444422 May 24, 2013
cont
2. By the dividing of his garments, Matt. 27:35. When they nailed him to the cross, they stripped him of his garments, at least his upper garments; for by sin we were made naked, to our shame, and thus he purchased for us white raiment to cover us. If we be at any time stripped of our comforts for Christ, let us bear it patiently; he was stripped for us. Enemies may strip us of our clothes, but cannot strip us of our best comforts; cannot take from us the garments of praise. The clothes of those that are executed are the executioner’s fee: four soldiers were employed in crucifying Christ, and they must each of them have a share: his upper garment, if it were divided, would be of no use to any of them, and therefore they agreed to cast lots for it.(1.) Some think that the garment was so fine and rich, that it was worth contending for; but that agreed not with the poverty Christ appeared in.(2.) Perhaps they had heard of those that had been cured by touching the hem of his garment, and they thought it valuable for some magic virtue in it. Or,(3.) They hoped to get money of his friends for such a sacred relic. Or,(4.) Because, in derision, they would seem to put a value upon it, as royal clothing. Or,(5.) It was for diversion; to pass away the time while they waited for his death, they would play a game at dice for the clothes; but, whatever they designed, the word of God is herein accomplished. In that famous psalm, the first words of which Christ made use of upon the cross, it was said, They parted my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture, Ps. 22:18. This was never true of David, but looks primarily at Christ, of whom David, in spirit, spoke. Then is the offence of this part of the cross ceased; for it appears to have been by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God. Christ stripped himself of his glories, to divide them among us.
They now sat down, and watched him, Matt. 27:36. The chief priests were careful, no doubt, in setting this guard, lest the people, whom they still stood in awe of, should rise, and rescue him. But Providence so ordered it, that those who were appointed to watch him, thereby became unexceptionable witnesses for him; having the opportunity to see and hear that which extorted from them that noble confession (Matt. 27:54), Truly this was the Son of God.
3. By the title set up over his head, Matt. 27:37. It was usual for the vindicating of public justice, and putting the greater shame upon malefactors that were executed, not only by a crier to proclaim before them, but by a writing also over their heads to notify what was the crime for which they suffered; so they set up over Christ’s head his accusation written, to give public notice of the charge against him; This is Jesus the King of the Jews. This they designed for his reproach, but God so overruled it, that even his accusation redounded to his honour. For,(1.) Here was no crime alleged against him. It is not said that he was a pretended Saviour, or a usurping King, though they would have it thought so (John 19:21); but, This is Jesus, a Saviour; surely that was no crime; and, This is the King of the Jews; nor was that a crime; for they expected that the Messiah should be so: so that, his enemies themselves being judges, he did no evil. Nay,(2.) Here was a very glorious truth asserted concerning him—that he is Jesus the King of the Jews, that King whom the Jews expected and ought to have submitted to; so that his accusation amounts to this, That he was the true Messiah and Saviour of the world; as Balaam, when he was sent for to curse Israel, blessed them all together, and that three times (Num. 24:10), so Pilate, instead of accusing Christ as a Criminal, proclaimed him a King, and that three times, in three inscriptions. Thus God makes men to serve his purposes, quite beyond their own.
cont
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#444423 May 24, 2013
cont
4. By his companions with him in suffering, Matt. 27:38. There were two thieves crucified with him at the same time, in the same place, under the same guard; two highway–men, or robbers upon the road, as the word properly signifies. It is probable that this was appointed to be execution–day; and therefore they hurried the prosecution of Christ in the morning, that they might have him ready to be executed with the other criminals. Some think that Pilate ordered it thus, that this piece of necessary justice, in executing these thieves, might atone for his injustice in condemning Christ; others, that the Jews contrived it, to add to the ignominy of the sufferings of our Lord Jesus; however it was, the scripture was fulfilled in it (Isa. 53:12), He was numbered with the transgressors.
(1.) It was a reproach to him, that he was crucified with them. Though, while he lived, he was separate from sinners, yet in their deaths they were not divided, but he was made to partake with the vilest malefactors in their plagues, as if he had been a partaker with them in their sins; for he was made sin for us, and took upon him the likeness of sinful flesh. He was, at his death, numbered among the transgressors, and had his lot with the wicked, that we, at our death, might be numbered among the saints, and have our lot among the chosen.
(2.) It was an additional reproach, that he was crucified in the midst, between them, as if he had been the worst of the three, the principal malefactor; for among three the middle is the place for the chief. Every circumstance was contrived to his dishonour, as if the great Saviour were of all others the greatest sinner. It was also intended to ruffle and discompose him, in his last moments, with the shrieks, and groans, and blasphemies, of these malefactors, who, it is likely, made a hideous outcry when they were nailed to the cross; but thus would Christ affect himself with the miseries of sinners, when he was suffering for their salvation. Some of Christ’s apostles were afterwards crucified, as Peter, and Andrew, but none of them were crucified with him, lest it should have looked as if they had been joint undertakers with him, in satisfying for man’s sin, and joint purchasers of life and glory; therefore he was crucified between two malefactors, who could not be supposed to contribute any thing to the merit of his death; for he himself bare our sins in his own body.
cont
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#444424 May 24, 2013
5. By the blasphemies and revilings with which they loaded him when he was hanging upon the cross; though we read not that they cast any reflections on the thieves that were crucified with him. One would have thought that, when they had nailed him to the cross, they had done their worst, and malice itself had been exhausted: indeed if a criminal be put into the pillory, or carted, because it is a punishment less than death, it is usually attended with such expressions of abuse; but a dying man, though an infamous man, should be treated with compassion. It is an insatiable revenge indeed which will not be satisfied with death, so great a death. But, to complete the humiliation of the Lord Jesus, and to show that, when he was dying, he was bearing iniquity, he was then loaded with reproach, and, for aught that appears, not one of his friends, who the other day cried Hosanna to him, durst be seen to show him any respect.
(1.) The common people, that passed by, reviled him. His extreme misery and exemplary patience under it, did not mollify them, or make them to relent; but they who by their outcries brought him to this, now think to justify themselves in it by their reproaches, as if they did well to condemn him. They reviled him: eblasphemoun—they blasphemed him; and blasphemy it was, in the strictest sense, speaking evil of him who thought it not robbery to be equal with God. Observe here,
[1.] The persons that reviled him; they that passed by, the travellers that went along the road, and it was a great road, leading from Jerusalem to Gibeon; they were possessed with prejudices against him by the reports and clamours of the High Priest’s creatures. It is a hard thing, and requires more application and resolution than is ordinarily met with, to keep up a good opinion of persons and things that are every where run down, and spoken against. Every one is apt to say as the most say, and to throw a stone at that which is put into an ill name. Turba Remi sequitur fortunam semper et odit damnatos—The Roman rabble fluctuate with a man’s fluctuating fortunes, and fail not to depress those that are sinking. Juvenal.
[2.] The gesture they used, in contempt of him—wagging their heads; which signifies their triumph in his fall, and their insulting over him, Isa. 37:22; Jer. 18:16; Lam. 2:15. The language of it was, Aha, so would we have it, Ps. 35:25. Thus they insulted over him that was the Saviour of their country, as the Philistines did over Samson the destroyer of their country. This very gesture was prophesied of (Ps. 22:7); They shake the head at me. And Ps. 109:25.
cont

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Stilgar Fifrawi 733,694
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Patrick 226,503
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min Freebird USA 173,299
do right by your woman 7 min pusherman_ 1
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 7 min Aadhi Thamizhan 5,351
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 25 min Epiphany2 600,142
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 49 min yon 2,514
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 hr JUDEletePete 118,091
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 19 hr Tiffany 107
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••