Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 667762 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#444651 May 24, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Regina"
Or an imperfect sinner, as we all are. We're to strive for perfection, picking ourselves up and trying again with God's help each time we fall. It's more of a problem when we refuse to admit our sins and deliberately continue in them, i.e. bigoted and slanderous statements against Christ's church even after one has been corrected. But with repentence there's hope even for that soul. Rejection of God would be another "rule" one would be a Crazy Person to break.
:)
Your First Sentence: Grade A
Your Second Sentence: Grade A
Problem: What is Christ's church? I know that you will say that it is the Catholic church.
I respect the leaders that we have known in churches we have served, but all of them were men. Some were VERY GOOD men; some had problems. Some even failed. To say that mortal men are THE church of God, is to put too much 'faith' in mortal men. Christ is the head of His church, and no mortal man can be 'head' of that church, he can only serve it. The Holy Spirit directs the steps of righteous men as they serve in the church of God.
To question the teachings/practices of a group calling itself a church is NOT slanderous. To practice/teach false things IS slander against HIM.
KayMarie
Kay, you are not my teacher. I find your first three sentences very condescending. Please stop it.

You downplay "church" because your "church" was not founded by Jesus Christ. When a Catholic refers to the Church, it has a much deeper, richer meaning. It is spiritual, it is visible, it is God's, it belongs to Him. No words I could say here would come close to conveying it's true meaning which we, as Catholics, know in our hearts, minds, and souls.

There are thousands of examples of what God has given us through His Church. I'll start with this one: The Liturgy of the Hours/The Divine Office.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#444652 May 24, 2013
to regina:Before Constantine's "conversion," Christians were persecuted. Now, instead of facing persecution, Bishop Silvester lived in the lap of luxury. He had a beautiful palace, with the finest furniture and art. He wore silk brocade robes. He had servants to wait on him. Near his palace was a basilica which was to serve as his cathedral. This luxurious building had seven altars made of gold, a canopy of solid silver above the main altar, and 50 chandeliers. The imperial mail system and transportation system were placed at Silvester's disposal. It was now possible to have worldwide church councils.[Note 8]

Read the Book of Acts and the Epistles and compare the Church shown there to the Church of Bishop Silvester. Here is how the Apostle Paul described the kinds of things that he had to endure, as a leader in the early Church.

"Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness." (2 Corinthians 11:24-27)

After Constantine's "conversion," the Church was radically changed. Suddenly, being Christian resulted in power, prestige, and promotion (whereas previously it had resulted in persecution). Suddenly, by the Emperor's decree, Christianity became "politically correct". So ambitious people joined the Church for worldly reasons. The Bishop of Rome was supported by the military might, political power, and wealth of the Roman Emperor. Worldwide church councils were convened.

This was the birth of the Roman Catholic Church. It was created in the year 314 A.D. by Emperor Constantine and Bishop Silvester.

Since: Sep 09

Delta, Canada

#444653 May 24, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
I have what I have, and I don't have what I do not have.
You think you have cornered the market on salvation.

You don't WANT to see your own arrogance.

If you thought for one second that you were going to be burning in hell, you would throw your bible away and wish to believe something better.

usa

#444654 May 24, 2013
to regina:Were the Early Christians Roman Catholics?

Mary Ann Collins
(A Former Catholic Nun)

www.CatholicConcerns.com
February 2002

The Roman Catholic Church claims that the early Christians were all Roman Catholics, and that (aside from the Orthodox Church) all Christians were Roman Catholics until the Protestant Reformation. It claims that the Apostle Peter was the first Pope, ruling from Rome. It also claims that it gave us the Bible.

But do these claims stand up to the test of history? Or are they false credentials?

There is historical evidence that the Roman Catholic Church began with Emperor Constantine. Many Protestants believe that throughout Church history, there have been many true Christians who were not Catholics, and these Christians were often killed by the Catholic Church. They also believe that Peter was just one of the apostles, and that the Catholic Church only copied and preserved the Bible, which God had already given to us.

EMPEROR CONSTANTINE

On October 28, 312 A.D., the Roman Emperor Constantine met with Bishop Miltiades.(Catholics would later refer to him as Pope Miltiades. But at the time he was known as the Bishop of Rome.) Miltiades was assisted by Silvester, a Roman who spoke educated Latin, and acted as interpreter. The previous day, Constantine had seen a sign in the heavens: a cross in front of the sun. He heard a voice say, "In this sign you will conquer." He painted crosses on the shields of his soldiers. He won an important battle, and was convinced that it was because of the power of the sign that he had seen. He asked for two of the nails that were used to crucify Jesus. One nail was made into a bit for his horse. Another nail was made a part of his crown, signifying that Constantine ruled the Roman Empire in the name of Jesus. He allowed Miltiades to keep the third nail.[Note 1]

The fact that Constantine saw the cross and the sun together may explain why he worshiped the Roman sun god while at the same time professing to be a Christian. After his "conversion," Constantine built a triumphal arch featuring the Roman sun god (the "unconquered sun"). His coins featured the sun. Constantine made a statue of the sun god, with his own face on it, for his new city of Constantinople. He made Sunday (the day of the sun god) into a day of rest when work was forbidden.[Note 2]

usa

#444655 May 24, 2013
Constantine declared that a mosaic of the Roman sun god (riding in a chariot) was a representation of Jesus. During Constantine's reign, many Christians incorporated worship of the Roman sun god into their religion. They prayed kneeling towards the east (where the sun rises). They said that Jesus Christ drives his chariot across the sky (like the Roman sun god). They had their worship services on Sunday, which honored the Roman sun god.(Days of the week were named to honor pagan gods. For example, Saturday is "Saturn's day," named for the Roman god Saturn.) They celebrated the birth of Jesus on December 25, the day when sun worshipers celebrated the birthday of the sun following the winter solstice.[Note 3]

Historians disagree as to whether or not Constantine actually became a Christian. His character certainly did not reflect the teachings of Jesus Christ. Constantine was vain, violent, and superstitious. His combination of worshiping the Christian God and the old Roman sun god may have been an attempt to cover all the bases.(A similar spirit can be seen in Americans who financially support both opposing candidates during an election. No matter who wins, they expect to have the favor of the person in power.) Constantine had little if any respect for human life. He was known for wholesale slaughter during his military campaigns. He forced prisoners of war to fight for their lives against wild beasts. He had several family members (including his second wife) executed for doubtful reasons. Constantine waited until he was dying before he asked to be baptized. Historians disagree as to whether or not he actually was baptized.[Note 4]

Constantine wanted to have a state Church, with Christian clergy acting as civil servants. He called himself a Bishop. He said that he was the interpreter of the Word of God, and the voice which declares what is true and godly. According to historian Paul Johnson, Constantine saw himself as being an important agent of salvation, on a par with the apostles. Bishop Eusebius (Constantine's eulogist) relates that Constantine built the Church of the Apostles with the intention of having his body be kept there along with the bodies of the apostles. Constantine's coffin was to be in the center (the place of honor), with six apostles on each side of him. He expected that devotions honoring the apostles would be performed in the church, and he expected to share the title and honor of the apostles.[Note 5]

usa

#444656 May 24, 2013
Constantine told Bishop Miltiades that he wanted to build two Christian basilicas, one dedicated to the Apostle Peter and one dedicated to the Apostle Paul. He offered a large, magnificent palace for the use of Miltiades and his successors. Miltiades refused. He could not accept the idea of having Christianity be promoted by the Roman Empire.[Note 6]

Constantine rode off to war. By the time that he returned in 314 A.D., Miltiades had died. Bishop Silvester was Miltiades' successor. Silvester was eager to have the Church be spread using Roman roads, Roman wealth, Roman law, Roman power, and Roman military might. Constantine officially approved of Silvester as the successor of Miltiades. Then he had a coronation ceremony for Silvester and crowned him like a worldly prince. No bishop had ever been crowned before.[Note 7] Constantine's actions give the impression that he believed that he had authority over the Church.

Before Constantine's "conversion," Christians were persecuted. Now, instead of facing persecution, Bishop Silvester lived in the lap of luxury. He had a beautiful palace, with the finest furniture and art. He wore silk brocade robes. He had servants to wait on him. Near his palace was a basilica which was to serve as his cathedral. This luxurious building had seven altars made of gold, a canopy of solid silver above the main altar, and 50 chandeliers. The imperial mail system and transportation system were placed at Silvester's disposal. It was now possible to have worldwide church councils.[Note 8]

Read the Book of Acts and the Epistles and compare the Church shown there to the Church of Bishop Silvester. Here is how the Apostle Paul described the kinds of things that he had to endure, as a leader in the early Church.

"Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness." (2 Corinthians 11:24-27)

After Constantine's "conversion," the Church was radically changed. Suddenly, being Christian resulted in power, prestige, and promotion (whereas previously it had resulted in persecution). Suddenly, by the Emperor's decree, Christianity became "politically correct". So ambitious people joined the Church for worldly reasons. The Bishop of Rome was supported by the military might, political power, and wealth of the Roman Emperor. Worldwide church councils were convened.

This was the birth of the Roman Catholic Church. It was created in the year 314 A.D. by Emperor Constantine and Bishop Silvester.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#444657 May 24, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion A Delusion:
I suppose it takes a bit a discipline, practice, but most of all observing someone who esteems others more highly than themselves. It is a great prize to find someone to emulate, and we are most often driven by our own imaginings to go by.
Most often it seems people going to church appear to do so out of habit, to socialize, or to gain acceptance. But in that process, there may be some who find the discipline appealing, and a place to begin to practice charity.
I won't condemn anyone if they go, or don't go to church. If I did accuse someone, then I would be the biggest offender, on both sides.
The loudest and most extreme in any group will always paint a distorted picture. Imagine if this discourse were the norm!

Thoughtful points. Thank you for adding some balance from the Christian side.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#444658 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever you are, you are not an original Christian.
If you believe Jesus loves everyone ... why will Muslims and Jews (just for starters) not be allowed in heaven unless they convert to Christianity?
As does Billy Graham, I suggest you don't try to SLIDE the idea by me now, that Jesus loves everyone ... when hell is there for those who are rejected.
Not who are rejected, but who HAVE rejected. And even then we cannot be certain. We are not God and He will save whom He will save.....maybe even a militant atheist. Maybe even a mixed up, bitter, former fundie turned atheist. Maybe even me.

Delta, Canada

#444659 May 24, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age Spiritual Leader:
I can agree with you in some ways. In the past it has been the Fathers and Doctors of the Church that became literate and passed on that literacy, learning, and thinking.(If you reject the past, though you risk loosing your direction.)
One does not learn, without a teacher.
Knowing a lot of data, and theories is not going to make a person enlightened, unless you want to be a computer.
What is needed is the presentation of conflicting material, in which a person is told to think, but first they must be taught how to think. And that is lacking, more so today, than in the past.
What a lot of arrogant SLOP.

That your own clique will listen to such drivel bespeaks of mindsets that are on the same arrogant PAGE.

If you were born the child of a Muslim, or a Jew ... you would only know Islam or Judaism ... PERIOD ... and you would be just as certain of future bliss in an afterlife as you now believe as a Christian.

I suggest you stick your self with a pin so you can wake up. It seems there IS no other way.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#444660 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
PLEASE ... DO educate us on your concept of truth.
I've been looking for the "truth" from these folks of the existence of today's reformed evangelicals/fundamentalists during that 1400 year period for about 6 years. No luck yet. Am I now going to get it from you? Hallelujah!!!
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#444661 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't watch your slop.
I read enough on this forum to comprehend that you an arrogant self-serving preacher of nonsense.
Did the title of the clip upset you?

"Non Biblical evidence as proof for Jesus Christ (1 of 4)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

"Non Biblical evidence as proof for Jesus Christ (2 of 4)"

"Non Biblical evidence as proof for Jesus Christ (3 of 4)"

"Non Biblical evidence as proof for Jesus Christ (4 of 4)"

I think it did.

usa

#444662 May 24, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
All those Christians martyred by the Romans were Catholics. The Roman Empire is not the same as the Catholic Church. Get a history book and read it. If you can't understand it, go back to school. You can have your own opinions, you can't have your own facts.
FYI: Historians trace the earliest church labeled "Baptist" back to 1609 in Amsterdam, with English Separatist John Smyth as its pastor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptists
Grow up. You're an attention suck.
it was Ignatius who gave the church the name catholic,Christians were around long before then,so i don't see how every christian is catholic,i'm not the one who needs schooling,i look beyond by what one teaches,where as your content in just sitting in your perverted church pay a fee and listen to a pagan/christian speak.you do not do your own home work,the church does not encourage it.

Delta, Canada

#444663 May 24, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
to regina:Were the Early Christians Roman Catholics?
YES!!!

Ignatius was Catholic!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

An important milestone into development of Christian self-consciousness or Christian self-identity will be the emergence of the word "Christianity." This word appears for the first time in the writings of a church thinker of the early 2nd century of our era named Ignatius, who lived in Western Asia Minor, modern day Western Turkey.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows ...
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#444664 May 24, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
TO REGINA:Were the Early Christians Roman Catholics?
Mary Ann Collins
(A Former Catholic Nun)
www.CatholicConcerns.com
February 2002
The Roman Catholic Church claims that the early Christians were all Roman Catholics, and that (aside from the Orthodox Church) all Christians were Roman Catholics until the Protestant Reformation. It claims that the Apostle Peter was the first Pope, ruling from Rome. It also claims that it gave us the Bible.
But do these claims stand up to the test of history? Or are they false credentials?
There is historical evidence that the Roman Catholic Church began with Emperor Constantine. Many Protestants believe that throughout Church history, there have been many true Christians who were not Catholics, and these Christians were often killed by the Catholic Church. They also believe that Peter was just one of the apostles, and that the Catholic Church only copied and preserved the Bible, which God had already given to us.
EMPEROR CONSTANTINE
On October 28, 312 A.D., the Roman Emperor Constantine met with Bishop Miltiades.(Catholics would later refer to him as Pope Miltiades. But at the time he was known as the Bishop of Rome.) Miltiades was assisted by Silvester, a Roman who spoke educated Latin, and acted as interpreter. The previous day, Constantine had seen a sign in the heavens: a cross in front of the sun. He heard a voice say, "In this sign you will conquer." He painted crosses on the shields of his soldiers. He won an important battle, and was convinced that it was because of the power of the sign that he had seen. He asked for two of the nails that were used to crucify Jesus. One nail was made into a bit for his horse. Another nail was made a part of his crown, signifying that Constantine ruled the Roman Empire in the name of Jesus. He allowed Miltiades to keep the third nail.[Note 1]
The fact that Constantine saw the cross and the sun together may explain why he worshiped the Roman sun god while at the same time professing to be a Christian. After his "conversion," Constantine built a triumphal arch featuring the Roman sun god (the "unconquered sun"). His coins featured the sun. Constantine made a statue of the sun god, with his own face on it, for his new city of Constantinople. He made Sunday (the day of the sun god) into a day of rest when work was forbidden.[Note 2]
Constantine declared that a mosaic of the Roman sun god (riding in a chariot) was a representation of Jesus. During Constantine's reign, many Christians incorporated worship of the Roman sun god into their religion. They prayed kneeling towards the east (where the sun rises). They said that Jesus Christ drives his chariot across the sky (like the Roman sun god). They had their worship services on Sunday, which honored the Roman sun god.(Days of the week were named to honor pagan gods. For example, Saturday is "Saturn's day," named for the Roman god Saturn.) They celebrated the birth of Jesus on December 25, the day when sun worshipers celebrated the birthday of the sun following the winter solstice.[Note 3]
There is no such person as "Mary Ann Collins
(A Former Catholic Nun)". Trust me...many, many people have tried to verify her existence and she's not real.

jethro, quit being so gullible.

usa

#444665 May 24, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me started on the sexual perversity rampant within the pentecostal cult. Or any of the other numerous protest-ant groups.
"The Catholic Church's record of aggressive and proactive protective measures is unparalleled in any organization today. Since the beginning of the abuse crisis, the Catholic Church:
http://www.themediareport.com/fast-facts/
According to Stop Baptist Predators.com the baptists won't allow any accountability at all. They have their hands full. The pentacostals are likely worse since they're such great finger pointers.
Please don't take up with the likes of those here who are getting cheap thrills from fantasizing about the sexual sins of others. It's sick!
why is there an abuse crisis in the first place? popes,bishops,priests,all guilty and the church closed it's eyes.if they didn't get caught we would not know this was going on,they did not come forward,their victims did.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#444666 May 24, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
I don't judge any pentecostal preachers. But you judge ALL Catholic priests as child molesters in spite of the fact that statistically it's more likely that a pentecostal preacher abuses than a Catholic priest.
Tell me confrinting, how many sinless pentecostal preachers do you know? Does God judge a sinful pentecostal preacher more leniently than a sinful priest?

Sin to God is 'sin', no matter who does it. Since the CC is paying out MILLIONS in restitution, it is a bit of a stretch to say that Pentecostals are more likely abusers!

KM
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#444667 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that the original Christian claim was that people who did not believe in Jesus as their savior would burn in hell.
You are trying to change the basis of Christianity to suit your own desires.
No, that is not the original Christian claim. While what has been revealed is that faith is necessary for salvation, we have never and never should judge whether someone will or will not be saved. If anyone has done so, they are incorrect. God will save whom God will save. It would be imprudent to disregard His revealed truth and presume upon His mercy, but it is His call.

usa

#444668 May 24, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Get help! Uggghhhh!!!!
And take your filthy, disgusting mouth elsewhere. Yuuuckk!!!
no,i'll stay right here, making sure your filthy disgusting church gets the credit it deserves, of being phony,liars an perverts,and who knows what other hideous things they are doing.

Delta, Canada

#444669 May 24, 2013
From the book,“The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,” by Edward Gibbon,(Coyright 1963, by Frank C. Bourne … comes the following.

The doctrine of Christ’s reign upon earth was first treated as a profound allegory, was considered by degrees as a doubtful and useless opinion, and was at length rejected as the absurd invention of heresy and fanaticism.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#444670 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You CHOSE to be a Christian because you liked the teaching that YOU would be saved.
June VanDerMark:

In my past, I would agree with you. And being "saved" is certainly a big motivation. And goes along the journey.

But here is the great problem. God is the Judge. And because one thinks, acts, proclaims, believes they are saved, it all still comes down to God.(God chooses us, we don't choose God.)

Being a Christian is much harder than being an atheist. An atheist is a bit more fatalistic. But as a Christian when you think you know it all, God pulls and pushes you a little harder, or gives you a knock it the head, to remind you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letter: DNC accept responsibility 15 min PoliciaFederal 42
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 20 min Rider on the Storm 92,611
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 21 min RiversideRedneck 979,416
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 46,035
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Rider on the Storm 183,621
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr onemales son 286,022
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 6 hr dolarsbill 19,322
More from around the web