Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658899 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#444627 May 24, 2013
Preston wrote:
<quoted text>is this the Iggie that catholc tradition states is the child that sat on the lap of Jesus? lol. you have no Biblical proof about this fellow in any way, shape, or form
So nothing written about the early Church after the bible was completed is to be believed?

Did all the real Christians go into hiding for 1500 years?

Is it your position that the LACK of any evidence is more proof of the existence of the REAL believers (who believed as you do) than the volumes of REAL evidence of the early Catholic Church?

Since: Sep 09

Delta, Canada

#444628 May 24, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
That is quite a sweeping statement. Such broad generalizations can't be taken seriously.
Theologians ... whether the ones whose dogmas you idolize, or the ones whose dogmas other people idolize have no proof of the existence of god or goddesses ... and that is the truth.

Words written by the millions by ignorant theologians whose stories don't coincide with other stories of other theologians is not proof that men wrote words of truth.

Not even close.

When you insist that your god is real and other gods are false ... surely you can see that is simply the claims of a braggart.

If you can't, or won't ... there is something wrong with you.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#444629 May 24, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
A decent Christian writes... "Esteem others better than yourself."
What percentage of Christians do you feel follow the Bible in that regard - with respect to others not of their denomination?
Religion A Delusion:

I suppose it takes a bit a discipline, practice, but most of all observing someone who esteems others more highly than themselves. It is a great prize to find someone to emulate, and we are most often driven by our own imaginings to go by.

Most often it seems people going to church appear to do so out of habit, to socialize, or to gain acceptance. But in that process, there may be some who find the discipline appealing, and a place to begin to practice charity.

I won't condemn anyone if they go, or don't go to church. If I did accuse someone, then I would be the biggest offender, on both sides.

Delta, Canada

#444630 May 24, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the genius of Catholicism. We don't rely solely on the Bible.
So you go outside of the bible for TRUTH, when you claim the ONLY truth comes FROM the bible???

:)
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#444631 May 24, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
YOU START OFF YOUR POST ... WITH ..
"Judge not lest ye be judged"
Then you proceed to judge all Pentecostal ministers...
I am not here to pretend that all (so called Pentecostal preachers are "kosher")
I am not here to confront them...
They are not the subject OF THIS FORUM ...
They with the exception of "THE UNITED. PENTECOSTAL'S " do not
claim to be THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE APOSTOLIC CHURCH...and I am
not affiliated with them.
The subject here is...last I read is...
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican
I don't judge any pentecostal preachers. But you judge ALL Catholic priests as child molesters in spite of the fact that statistically it's more likely that a pentecostal preacher abuses than a Catholic priest.

Tell me confrinting, how many sinless pentecostal preachers do you know? Does God judge a sinful pentecostal preacher more leniently than a sinful priest?

Delta, Canada

#444632 May 24, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
"Judge not lest ye be judged"
That is ridiculous. Christians judged who were and who were not heretics, and burned the ones they perceived were guilty at the stake ... when the word heresy itself meant "able to choose."
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#444633 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me! Does your supposed god love Atheists, Agnostics, Jews, Muslims, Buddhist, Hindus, etc.... IF ... they don't FIRST become Christian???
You are a deceiver ... words or NO words.
It's not nice to pretend that a religion changed, just because of YOUR will.
Again......I am not a fundie.

Yes, God does love all those you mentioned....even....IF....the y don't FIRST become Christian!!!!

Evangelical fundamentalist protestants (for the most part) say that....Catholics do not and never did.

It's not nice to pretend that the Church said something she never did. Try your nonsense on the fundies, they're the ones it applies to.

Silly person!!
Womba

Stillwater, OK

#444634 May 24, 2013
This incredible thread (>400, 000 posts) began on July 10, 2007 in response to a controversial statement by a prior pope, Benedict XVI. Isn't it time for the new pope the clarify the Church's position? Then you can retrieve all the hatchets you want!
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#444635 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So you go outside of the bible for TRUTH, when you claim the ONLY truth comes FROM the bible???
No, he does not believe that. That's a protestant invention....bible alone, sola scriptura. You don't know what you're talking about, do you, June?

Delta, Canada

#444636 May 24, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose it takes a bit a discipline, practice, but most of all observing someone who esteems others more highly than themselves.
And of course you perceive YOU have that discipline ... while at the same time you believe in a religion that teaches that you will go to heaven and others will burn in hell.

Who could you possibly perceive as more GRAND and worthy and "charming" than you???

The person doesn't exist. You align your self in your own imagination with the supposed savior, who is to you ... top dog ... spelled backwards top god.

Despicable.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#444638 May 24, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes all churches use the Bible that the "Catholics" supposed decided upon.
- The canon you read today wasn't finalized until around the late 5th C.
- Men deciding what you are to believe. It worked in antiquity, it doesn't work today.
+ In fact, with the literacy in today's world, well beyond anything of the pre-1000 CE years, logic, reason, knowledge and understanding has revealed that much of what is in the Bible is missing information, just to sway the reader into some unfounded perception and "lifestyle".
Yep they got it wrong and duped many millions.
It will be guys and gals like us that will need to help them understand this. It is a long tough road, but the Light is beginning to shine through.
Unfortunately, we can only express our concerns, it is the requiremement of the individual to express their honesty.
Cheers!
New Age Spiritual Leader:

I can agree with you in some ways. In the past it has been the Fathers and Doctors of the Church that became literate and passed on that literacy, learning, and thinking.(If you reject the past, though you risk loosing your direction.)

One does not learn, without a teacher.

Knowing a lot of data, and theories is not going to make a person enlightened, unless you want to be a computer.

What is needed is the presentation of conflicting material, in which a person is told to think, but first they must be taught how to think. And that is lacking, more so today, than in the past.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#444639 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Theologians ... whether the ones whose dogmas you idolize, or the ones whose dogmas other people idolize have no proof of the existence of god or goddesses ... and that is the truth.
Words written by the millions by ignorant theologians whose stories don't coincide with other stories of other theologians is not proof that men wrote words of truth.
Not even close.
When you insist that your god is real and other gods are false ... surely you can see that is simply the claims of a braggart.
If you can't, or won't ... there is something wrong with you.
Here's a video for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

(Part 1 of 4)
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#444640 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't claim the only truth comes from the Bible. That's a protestant thing.

Delta, Canada

#444641 May 24, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Again......I am not a fundie.
Whatever you are, you are not an original Christian.

If you believe Jesus loves everyone ... why will Muslims and Jews (just for starters) not be allowed in heaven unless they convert to Christianity?

As does Billy Graham, I suggest you don't try to SLIDE the idea by me now, that Jesus loves everyone ... when hell is there for those who are rejected.

Delta, Canada

#444642 May 24, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a video for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
(Part 1 of 4)
I don't watch your slop.

I read enough on this forum to comprehend that you an arrogant self-serving preacher of nonsense.

Delta, Canada

#444643 May 24, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't claim the only truth comes from the Bible. That's a protestant thing.
Well, if you are a devout Christian, you SHOULD!

Evil deceivers are everywhere except in your bible ... aren't they???

tongue in cheek

Delta, Canada

#444644 May 24, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
None of these folks can explain the 1400 year black hole between the end of Revelation and Luther.
PLEASE ... DO educate us on your concept of truth.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#444645 May 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
And of course you perceive YOU have that discipline ... while at the same time you believe in a religion that teaches that you will go to heaven and others will burn in hell.
Who could you possibly perceive as more GRAND and worthy and "charming" than you???
The person doesn't exist. You align your self in your own imagination with the supposed savior, who is to you ... top dog ... spelled backwards top god.
Despicable.
June VanDerMark:

I have what I have, and I don't have what I do not have.

The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

I know what you are writing, on an imagined and supposed, ideal savior. The question/answer is not so much based on my approval or rejection, as to its validity, reality, or even what is real to me.

If, and I say boldly, if the virtues of Christianity did not work, I would abandon them.

It just seems to me, just as someone believes in a past golden age, some like you are ready to condemn the past. Both are vanity.

It is far better to live in the here and now, and not project some ideal in either direction.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#444646 May 24, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
None of these folks can explain the 1400 year black hole between the end of Revelation and Luther. And our friend Preston has a particular distaste for St. Ignatius (I think he called him a kook for going willingly to the lions) because he can't fathom the possibility that he was taught by the apostles and yet so vehemently contradicts his fundamentalist revival tradition.
Yeah, I don't understand the vicious disrespect some people who call themselves christians have for Mary, select apostles, early Church Fathers, Doctors of the Church, various saints and clergy.

Delta, Canada

#444647 May 24, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
One does not learn, without a teacher.
You CHOSE to be a Christian because you liked the teaching that YOU would be saved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 8 min Neville Thompson 785
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 12 min Munchie 278
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 16 min Clearwater 71,072
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 20 min Student 45,628
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 27 min ChristineM 445,537
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 53 min DENG 39,178
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 57 min Gabriel 974,846
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr onemale 283,030
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 9 hr gundee123 5,059
More from around the web