Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 595671 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Clay

United States

#443794 May 22, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
How's this Cly?
Matthew 18:18-19, 18 "Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed* in heaven. 19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven."
Then LATER in Matthew 18:21, "Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?"
Later??? Who was Jesus speaking prior to Peter showing up later? Hmmm. How about ALL THOSE BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS. Go back and re-read Matthew 18:18-19.
<quoted text>
Cly, are you that dense? Can't you read? Jesus was speaking to OTHERS first.....then LATER Peter enters the conversation. OTHERS FIRST......PETER LATER. If you say it slow you will understand because I typed it slow just for you.
<quoted text>
You said, quote, "Anywho, we established that Peter was the first leader of the Apostles." End quote.
No, we did not establish Peter was anything. IF, and yes IF there was a leader it would have been James, not Peter.
You said, quote, "Have you read Clements epistle to the Corinthians? It was written around 70 AD . He learned the faith from the Apostles themselves. A serious Christian ought to be interested in what was actually taught by Christ." End quote.
Why would I read Clements? Is he authoratative in some way? When I checked my Bible I did not find the book of Clement. Is that one of the books you Roman Catholics added to YOUR Bible? LOL LOL LOL
I believe we established that Jesus gave Peter alone, the keys. There is no logical reasoning you can offer.

moving on...
Clement knew the Apostles personally, He heard the Gospel verbally from their mouths. How come you don't teach anything like him or any other Apostolic father?
I pray you're not THAT arrogant to believe, your interpretations of the Gospel are superior to Clement or Ignatius.
Yahchanan

Piedmont, OK

#443795 May 22, 2013
I think It is true you need to treat you brother or sister the way you would want to be treated here is a nice song.

Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#443796 May 22, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary was no doubt the mother of Jesus THE MAN. Mary is not the mother of Jesus THE GOD. She did not give birth to deity. She gave birth to a human being. A MAN! If you can find in your Bible a verse that tells us Mary gave birth to GOD.....provide it. Remember.....birth to GOD.
Are you talking about this woman. Is this YOUR Mary giving birth? Really? Where can I find the name Mary in this chapter of Revelation? Can you point it out to me please?
Revelation 12
1 And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. 2 She was pregnant and was crying out in birth pains and the agony of giving birth. 3 And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and on his heads seven diadems. 4 His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and cast them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was about to give birth, so that when she bore her child he might devour it. 5 She gave birth to a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron, but her child was caught up to God and to his throne, 6 and the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, in which she is to be nourished for 1,260 days. 7 Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, 8 but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. 10 And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying,“Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. 11 And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death. 12 Therefore, rejoice, O heavens and you who dwell in them! But woe to you, O earth and sea, for the devil has come down to you in great wrath, because he knows that his time is short!” 13 And when the dragon saw that he had been thrown down to the earth, he pursued the woman who had given birth to the male child. 14 But the woman was given the two wings of the great eagle so that she might fly from the serpent into the wilderness, to the place where she is to be nourished for a time, and times, and half a time. 15 The serpent poured water like a river out of his mouth after the woman, to sweep her away with a flood. 16 But the earth came to the help of the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed the river that the dragon had poured from his mouth. 17 Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea.
The issue of Jesus' Divinity and humanity has been settled a long time ago by the Council of Chalcedon (451). No need to pretend it hasn't.
Those that didn't accept this were called heretics.

As for the verses from Revelation you posted. Yes, that is Mary. Who else "gave birth to a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron"?(verse 5)
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#443797 May 22, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So you know exactly what I believe so why act ignorant?
You were taught repentance and faith in Christ for salvation at your old church.
Salvation in the catholic church:
baptism
eucharist
faith
works
sacraments and whatever other rule you have to follow.
ROTFLOL...how in the world does one go from a Baptist church to a catholic church. My guess is you never had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. How else would you wind up at the catholic church.
Well you have guessed wrong. I had a good relationship with Jesus. I made sure that no matter how tired I was, I would spend 20 minutes or so talking to Him before I would go to bed. I read the Bible regularly. I felt His peaceful presence. I also journaled and when I went for a run I would meditate on Him. I tried my best to obey all the commandments.

I believe that it is because I did these things why I am Catholic now.
The snide hypocrisy rampant in the baptist church also helped.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#443798 May 22, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be jestering. You don't know that Mary is the Mother of Jesus, God the Son? You don't know that that would be a very special relationship?
And there is Biblical reference to Mary being in heaven:
Revelation 12
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
12 And a great sign appeared in heaven: A woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars:
You didn't learn much in the Baptist church did you? The Woman in Revelation 12 is Israel not Mary like you been told by the catholics.

If it's Mary as you say then v 17 says she had other children:
17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring.

Go back to the Baptist church while you still can.

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#443799 May 22, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather you and I be in heaven.
When all the squabbling religious factions arrive up in sky and carry on as they do on earth, if there ever was a utopia of sorts, it will be transformed into instant hell.

You people are not going to leave your religions behind with the discarded physical bodies ... ARE you???

Hahahahahaha
chuck

Dublin, OH

#443800 May 22, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you have guessed wrong. I had a good relationship with Jesus. I made sure that no matter how tired I was, I would spend 20 minutes or so talking to Him before I would go to bed. I read the Bible regularly. I felt His peaceful presence. I also journaled and when I went for a run I would meditate on Him. I tried my best to obey all the commandments.
I believe that it is because I did these things why I am Catholic now.
The snide hypocrisy rampant in the baptist church also helped.
and now your salvation is based on what you do and nothing to do with God's grace. You now have a works based faith.

Many folks read the bible, doesn't mean they have a relationship with Christ.

Yep you're a catholic. "You tried your best". Unfortunately that won't work and we cannot always follow God's commandments. So what do you do now?

Vanderhoof, Canada

#443801 May 22, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't learn much in the Baptist church did you?
Ahahahahahaha
Clay

United States

#443802 May 22, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't learn much in the Baptist church did you? The Woman in Revelation 12 is Israel not Mary like you been told by the catholics.
17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring.
She did have other children. Us. She is our spiritual Mother. John, the author of Revelation, was commanded by Christ on the cross. "Son, behold your Mother". From that point on, Mary was Johns Mother also.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#443803 May 22, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? Are you saying that you think I believe Mary created Jesus?
You didn't answer the question.
When did Jesus' soul/spirit reunite with His body since you seem to claim Mary is only mother of His flesh and not His Person?
~~~

I have no need to answer your conclusions,,,,especially when you read in your own remarks and attempt to attribute them to me....

In that light I am not accountable to you to answer you...

suppose your answer your questions, yourself...
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#443804 May 22, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
All Christians are Mary's spiritual children. She was the very first Christian.

I would sooner stab hot needles in my eyes than go back to the baptist church. Doing so would be like moving from a palace into a stick hut.
Not trying to be mean, I'm Just Sayin.

#443805 May 22, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
When all the squabbling religious factions arrive up in sky and carry on as they do on earth, if there ever was a utopia of sorts, it will be transformed into instant hell.
You people are not going to leave your religions behind with the discarded physical bodies ... ARE you???
Hahahahahaha
~~~

While you anticipate ...

what you say will take place in the sky..

Are you not admitting that there is life after death?...

Now... be Christian or atheist one...YOU CAN'T BE BOTH

Your double mindedness is confusing...

Vanderhoof, Canada

#443806 May 22, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe we established that Jesus gave Peter alone, the keys. There is no logical reasoning you can offer.
Jesus handed Peter the keys to the kingdom of truth.

"YOOOO HOOOO," says Jesus and Peter in unison as they knocked on a door ... "Anybody home???"

"Just us Catholics waiting to be saved."

Jesus turns to Peter ... "PETER PETER ... What on earth have you done this time???"

"OOOPS ... sorry boss ... I thought I was entering a synagogue."

"GIVE ME THOSE KEYS YOU DUMB-BELL!!! It's plain for anybody to see ... they are not safe in your hands."

Vanderhoof, Canada

#443807 May 22, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
suppose your answer your questions, yourself...
First we have to ask the questions of ourselves. Then we will know that we don't have answers ... we just have opinions ... and as is plain ... no shortage of them.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#443808 May 22, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
While you anticipate ...
what you say will take place in the sky..
Are you not admitting that there is life after death?...
Now... be Christian or atheist one...YOU CAN'T BE BOTH
Your double mindedness is confusing...
The difference between you and I, is that I am spoofing about the realm in the sky, and you are very serious.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#443809 May 22, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
and now your salvation is based on what you do and nothing to do with God's grace. You now have a works based faith.
Many folks read the bible, doesn't mean they have a relationship with Christ.
Yep you're a catholic. "You tried your best". Unfortunately that won't work and we cannot always follow God's commandments. So what do you do now?
Salvation has everything to do with God's grace. You have been misinformed about Catholicism.
The CC teaches that individual salvation is a lifelong process, not a moment in time when you need only once "accept Jesus."
The process begins with the grace of God which touches the sinner's heart and calls him to repentance.

"This disposition is followed by justification itself, which consists not in the mere remission of sins, but in the sanctification and renewal of the inner man by the voluntary reception of God's grace and gifts, whence a man becomes just instead of unjust, a friend instead of a foe and so an heir according to hope of eternal life. This change happens either by reason of a perfect act of charity elicited by a well disposed sinner or by virtue of the Sacrament either of Baptism or of Penance according to the condition of the respective subject laden with sin. The Council further indicates the causes of this change. By the merit of the Most Holy Passion through the Holy Spirit, the charity of God is shed abroad in the hearts of those who are justified."
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13407a.htm

And when the individual messes up and sins, it is necessary that the relationship between them and God be mended. That's where the Sacrament of Reconciliation is needed.

#443810 May 22, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
All Christians are Mary's spiritual children. She was the very first Christian.
I would sooner stab hot needles in my eyes than go back to the baptist church. Doing so would be like moving from a palace into a stick hut.
Not trying to be mean, I'm Just Sayin.
~~~
The very first Christian after the death of Jesus was the thief on the cross...

He is the first recorded person to receive Jesus as his Lord and savior under grace...and evidently the first occupant in paradise.

What you have stated about Mary is only an assumption...You cannot prove your above words to be true...by any thing that the Bible says...

It might be found in you extra book called the Catechism..

but you cannot prove your conjecture by your catechism...

to be truth...

any more that the Mormons can prove and support their cult...

#443811 May 22, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference between you and I, is that I am spoofing about the realm in the sky, and you are very serious.
I would recommend that you become serious...about the destiny of your own soul.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#443812 May 22, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
The very first Christian after the death of Jesus was the thief on the cross...
He is the first recorded person to receive Jesus as his Lord and savior under grace...and evidently the first occupant in paradise.
What you have stated about Mary is only an assumption...You cannot prove your above words to be true...by any thing that the Bible says...
It might be found in you extra book called the Catechism..
but you cannot prove your conjecture by your catechism...
to be truth...
any more that the Mormons can prove and support their cult...
What does it mean to be a Christian? "To accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior." Right?

Who was the first to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior?

Mary was.

Luke 1
46 And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord.
47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#443813 May 22, 2013
BREAKING NEWS!! BREAKING NEWS!!

It has been decided by men, in reference when Jesus said, "I'm coming back", that it was implied that this return will only occur when the person dies and at that moment.

Jesus will be coming to your "acceptance party" and will be "in the clouds".

Sooooo, now that we've closed this open issue, everyone can go home now!

YEAH TEAM!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min RiccardoFire 100,632
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min RADEKT 272,037
News Ohio Man Caught Having Sex With Picnic Table (Mar '08) 14 min Kevin 154
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Turkey 853,107
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 19 min RiccardoFire 40,680
WATCH OUT!!!!! the Topix VIRUSES ARE BACK!!!!!!... 27 min being myself 12
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 29 min ChristineM 444,046
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Truths 612,581
The Christian Atheist debate 11 hr Kaitlin the Wolf ... 726
More from around the web