Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 650574 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#443432 May 21, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Two different contexts. Both under the OLD COVENANT where GRACE was not available.
Under Moses' law, a person gathering sticks on the Sabbath was to be put to death.
Sin offerings in blood were made then. Death was a penalty for some transgressions.
In the OT, God demanded the destruction of whole nations including women, children and all the animals. It is one question I will ask when I get there: why.
Why? It sounded like you knew what the Bible said, so I asked.

Yes, they are both OT, and yes, they say opposite things, but I don't see where the context would change the meaning of either.

Neither do you.

In the OT, you claim God/Jesus had no problem killing children, and their children, and their children, up to the fourth generation, all because an original parent sinned.

That's visiting the sin upon the innocent mothers too, like mothers are only an afterthought.

Call it grace, call it whatever you want, that's like worshipping a god with as much compassion as Adolf Hitler.

Thankfully, your psycho god is just as imaginary as the nice gods.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#443433 May 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter is mentioned 168 times in the Bible. More than all other Apostles combined.
Jesus gave Peter the keys.
Peter is always mentioned first. The Book of acts reveals this authority.
In Acts 15, you teach that Peter was subordinate to James? Interesting.
If the Catholic Church is not the one started by Jesus Christ, then who is?
Celibacy is a Catholic rule; a Discipline.
Priest are celibate because Jesus was celibate.
Please show where Jesus Christ commanded a Bible be compiled to dictate His Ministry? He didn't. That's why the Apostles took 30-50 yrs to even write anything. And that's why Christianity had no NT until the 5th century.
So much for 'Bible Alone'... it was never taught or heard of until the Books became published in 1452. Then, a hundred yrs later, people decided to direct their own Christian teachings.
Now look at the mess!
That makes Peter the least....not the greatest!!!! Per Scripture:

Christ said:
And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.

But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#443434 May 21, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, the link didn't work.
I will agree that we experience the kingdom of God in our innermost being or that when we experience it, we experience it to the core. But I don't think we should naval gaze in order to find it.
It was missing a letter(sorry 'bout that).

http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye/Vol12No2/HV12N2R...

LUKE 17:21:“THE KINGDOM OF
GOD IS INSIDEYOU”
THE ANCIENT SYRIAC VERSIONS
IN SUPPORT OF THE CORRECT
TRANSLATION*
ILARIA RAMELLI
CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY OF THE SACRED HEART,MILAN
ABSTRACT
In this study I contend that in Luke 17:21 the right translation of
Jesus’ words is not,“God’s Kingdom is among you,” or “in the midst
of you,” as modern versions into English and other languages generally render, but “God’s Kingdom is inside you.” Strong support for
the latter comes from ancient Syriac versions of this and other Gospel
passages, from a systematic investigation of the meaning of e)nto/j in
all of Greek literature anterior to, and contemporary with, Luke, and
from a careful analysis of the expression e)nto/j + genitive in the
New Testament and the Septuagint. I argue that, if the evangelist
had meant “The Kingdom of God is among you,” he would have
used, not e)nto\j u(mw=n, but e)n me/sw|u(mw=n, which is widely attested in this meaning in the New Testament and especially in Luke.
Moreover, the translation that I advocate and that the Syriac versions
support fits better in the immediate context of an address to the
I am very grateful to the anonymous readers of my article and to
George Kiraz, whose work on the ancient Syriac versions of the Gospels
is more helpful than I can say, and offers a constant source of inspiration.

----------
Note the author(scholar)---------
ILARIA RAMELLI
CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY OF THE SACRED HEART,MILAN

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#443435 May 21, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
The link is about the Church sharing these items with the public in a traveling exhibit.
Is that the best proof that the Church "hoards" treasures you have?
No they are not. It is the rules for entering the Vatican archives, and the other is about mid east religious relics found there(that they finally decided to make public).
Do you have comprehension and reading problems?
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#443436 May 21, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay, the Catholic Church has its hierarchy to tell you what to believe.
I have given you many scriptural verses to plainly tell you that what the Roman Catholic Church teaches is false.
The apostles started a church which is still alive and well today. It is NOT the Roman Catholic Church.
Her is a quotation from Scripture...
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
Confrint and I both know what this means but you obviously think that all the dead people are in Heaven, Hell or Purgatory and perhaps Limbo.
Why would the Lord Himself come at the Second Coming to waken those who sleep in the dust of the earth? If they were already with Him in Heaven, it would be pointless!
You say they are not asleep.
Bible says they are.
Revelation 20 tells us there is also a second resurrection: that of the damned.
You say they are in Hell.
It is not a matter of whether you or I are correct. It is a matter of what the Bible plainly teaches.
Tiger Lily:

When one passes from the temporal world, to the eternal world, which we term as death, then descriptions and metaphors often breakdown.

Our expectation and hope that Christ's Second Coming is soon, but likewise we hope it is delayed so that more souls should accept Christ.

Paul saw the "third heaven", the writer of the Book of Revelation saw the heavens as well. Does that mean it was a vision, or real or both?

After one dies, does one wait in temporal time, for eternal effects?

Location hidden

#443437 May 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
On February 24th 303 AD, Pagan Rome and the four Emperors that governed it, launched the biggest mass persecution in the history of Christianity. They leveled every Church in the empire; rounded up the Pope and every Bishop, Priest and Deacon they could find and killed them. They confiscated every piece of Christian scripture they could get their hands on and burned them. Christians by the thousands were slaughtered or imprisoned. No one in their right mind would have admitted they were a follower of Jesus Christ.
Unless there was something real burning in their hearts.
My point is that, Christianity should have ended in the yrs following 303 AD, but 10 yrs later, the very Empire that brutalized the Catholic Church for 300 yrs converted to the faith. How does that happen? Why would they decide to follow a poor defenseless homeless man who's been 'dead' for 3 centuries and apparently wasn't powerful enough to get down from the cross even though He said He was God???
Like I said, there was something burning then and it continues today and we call that the Holy Spirit.
Catholics are forever trying to sell to the world, the idea that Christ, a Jew, and His 12 Jewish apostles, during the time that Christ was on earth, established the Roman Catholic Church, that everyone knows, that even as of today, is for Gentiles and not Jews!!!!

Quote: After excerpts from the second volume of the pope’s book on Jesus made the rounds last week, featuring his rejection of the idea that “the Jews” killed Christ, the full text adds another point with important implications for Christian/Jewish relations -- in effect, that Christianity “must not concern herself with the conversion of the Jews.”

The comment comes in Benedict XVI’s book Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week, the full text of which was released today.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#443438 May 21, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
don't mind me, i'm just trying sociopathology on for size so i get to be just as nasty and accusatory to you as you are to me and then some! this shit is fun!;)
Great. Thanks for again making my point and this time - admitting you are trying to be nasty.

That is the exact opposite of what Jesus taught and the god you claim to follow. And you even say it is "fun" doing the opposite of what your god taught.

Is it coming to you yet?

Heck, you just wrote how it's fun to do the opposite of Jesus' teachings, and you are still angry at me for pointing out your hypocrisy?

The "fun" you are feeling is Satan.

I am here to help you. Read your own words again and you will see.

Location hidden

#443439 May 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok Tiger, what happens if I read my Bible (and I have my whole life) Confrint reads his Bible and you read your Bible and we all come to different conclusions. Now what?
You know this is the reality. If you put 5 people in separate rooms to read the bible, when they come out, who've got 5 different religions.
What if Confrint and I take a vote and decide you are wrong. Now what?
What if your grandkids undo your interpretations and now your Christianity is different than theirs?
Do you honestly believe THIS is the religion that Jesus Christ started and His Apostles went to their deaths to establish?
Show us how five different people could see five different messages in:

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

I know yours is: It says Christ is God!!!!!! Which all can see is BS

Since: Nov 08

usa

#443440 May 21, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the God given right to reject the Sacred Word of God...the Bible..
your right on both replies to my posts,i choose to believe what i see and know for a fact,and the fact is there is no solid proof a god exists and it can not be proven going by a incomplete book,there was something in the books the Catholics didn't want the world to know,and that must be,it would prove they are not gods church,and there is no definite dates concerning anything the bible,all dates are of pagan origin,can you explain why that is? and why nothing exists to prove that a god actually exists,everything mysteriously disappears,why is that?there to many inconsistencies that a god really is out in space some where,the stories of the bible mirror to many other stories that were written well before the one god theory was invented.and speaking of gods where did all the gods go from Greek mythology? and Egyptian gods,an viking gods? what happened to them? why are they so easily dismissed? the books burned by the idiotic pagan/christian church leaders may have something to do with it. show me something concrete for proof,find dates that stand alone concerning Jesus/god.as i stated before the greatest event in mans history and we have hardly no history at all,only one set of incomplete scriptures that were not taken seriously when first discovered.
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#443441 May 21, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
Your statements are pure conjecture. All four sentences.
I can provide plenty of Biblical evidence which says it is not conjecture. Through all of the Bible, it is clear that the promise is of a resurrectiom, not of a pass into Heaven when you die.

If only this was understood by Catholics, they would leave their church having been deceived by the "pillar of truth".

Since: Nov 08

usa

#443442 May 21, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the God given right to reject the Sacred Word of God...the Bible..
can you prove i am rejecting the actual sacred words of a god? and did you know god existed before you were told he did?
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#443443 May 21, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Tiger Lily:
When one passes from the temporal world, to the eternal world, which we term as death, then descriptions and metaphors often breakdown.
Our expectation and hope that Christ's Second Coming is soon, but likewise we hope it is delayed so that more souls should accept Christ.
Paul saw the "third heaven", the writer of the Book of Revelation saw the heavens as well. Does that mean it was a vision, or real or both?
After one dies, does one wait in temporal time, for eternal effects?
Much of scripture was written after visions. John in Revelation, Daniel: both were revealed history in dreams.
Read Daniel and you will see empires depicted as animals. Same with Revelation but the timeline reverses.
When one dies, one is unconscious in the grave.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave,(Hebrew Sheol ) where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

... until Jesus comes and awakens you from the dead.

Read and understand.
truth

Perth, Australia

#443444 May 21, 2013
it is written that righteousness people don't have any rights..punishment coming because of corupt wicket evil people..
it is written..blade of Jesus Christ altogether all righteousness people pay ultimatum price as abuse assault killing and death..

it is written because of evil wicket people..
righteousness people don't have rights..
it is written and still is some..
that can lead you to truth nothing else then truth..
byyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#443445 May 21, 2013
Prayers for the dead are based on the false teaching that man possesses an immortal soul.

Some believe that at death a wicked person's "immortal" soul is tormented in hell.

Friends and relatives then pray that the departed "soul" be spared some of its suffering.

However, the Bible says that the soul itself can die (Ezekiel 18:4, 20; also, compare the last parts of Genesis 2:7, 17).

In addition, Solomon says the human spirit (breath) returns to God, not to some place of punishment (Ecclesiastes 12:7; see Job 32:8).

God preserves the spirit (breath) until He can return it in the resurrection from the dead when eternal judgment—to either eternal life or eternal death—is determined (see Ezekiel 37:1-14; Revelation 20:14-15; 21:6-8).

There are absolutely no biblical grounds for the doctrine of the immortality of the soul.
God ALONE is immortal.

“Happy 2016!!”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#443446 May 21, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent book, in addition to his outstanding video on Catholicism by Fr. Barron on the TRUTH of the TRUE Teachings, doctrine and Sacramental faith of Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church, which has been manifested in Jesus HIMSELF through His One True Church for over 2000 years.
I <3 Fr. Barron, i'll have to check out that book. Tks, hojo.
<><

#forthebenifitofothers

AN UNBROKEN HISTORY

"Jesus said his Church would be "the light of the world." He then noted that "a city set on a hill cannot be hid" (Matt. 5:14). This means his Church is a visible organization. It must have characteristics that clearly identify it and that distinguish it from other churches. Jesus promised, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517.(Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.

Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established."
----------From Pillar of Fire Pillar of Truth
Clay

Garden City, MI

#443447 May 21, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
She was no more than a lowly handmaiden...period....
Ox says about Mary, "She was nothing more than a lowly handmaiden.. period"

If I'm Jesus Christ, and someone insults my Mother like that, they are done! The gloves are off! lol.

Seriously, its not fun talking to someone like you that is so far removed from Jesus Christ its bizarre you'd call yourself a Christian.

“Happy 2016!!”

#443448 May 21, 2013
Franck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been away for over a year and it's the same old thing.
Hi Franck, how are you? Good to see you back.

Yes, we’re still here defending, "those ignorant of our faith protestants."

What happened to the Yahoo site you had?

Blessings in Christ,
Star
<><
Preston

Athens, OH

#443449 May 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see... should we try Ox's criteria for salvation based on his private interpretation of the Bible?
-Deny that Jesus Christ is God.
-insult His Church that Apparently got His Ministry all screwed up.
-trash His Mother by saying she's just a vessel and if she didn't say yes to the Angel, someone else would have!
(If I was Christ, I wouldn't take to kindly to that.)
Now all I have to do is an alter call in one of those tent revival meetings then I'm saved eh?
don't need to wait until a tent revival, clay. My wife got saved on a sidewalk on the Main st in our hometown, over 31 years ago, and her salvation is still good today.
truth

Perth, Australia

#443450 May 21, 2013
God can hear prayers ..prayers stay as convent between you and real God..
remember
As right person Jesus pay praise with his blade on Cross it is Cross all righteousness people as well soul paying praise with him where others simple feed from them..

How its look when you pray..horrible they feeding themself from your your soul.
For many suffering start here on Earth much more early.

“Happy 2016!!”

#443451 May 21, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are delusional Clay, there is historical prove that your catholic church is the great wh--- spoken of in the bible.
all prophecy points to it.
Any one that post lies about The True Church of Jesus Christ is the greatest wh----.
Like the real wh---, Nero.

This is why you should NOT try to interpret Scripture.

The wh--- is Nero.
Google it…. Page after page will tell you that….
The "Whore of Babylon" is actually the Emperor Nero; his temples were dedicated to many false Roman gods - and yes, "Babylon" is code for Rome.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 4 min Richard Tzell 384
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Buck Crick 56,167
does any kids want to be completely naked for 2... 1 hr Susan 2
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 2 hr Steve III 446
Will Atheism defeat religion by year 2038? (Feb '15) 2 hr Thinking 73
Need someone to talk here, are you in for sexua... 2 hr sanchezjason48 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr Steve III 44,972
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr bad bob 182,967
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 hr Hangman 971,867
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 15 hr ChristineM 445,930
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Thu kobechi3 71
More from around the web