Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658499 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#443414 May 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay wrote:
Agreed!
The bottom line is: Mary is in Heaven because her Son is Jesus Christ- God made manifest. If anyone of us could spare our own Mothers from death and bring her to Heaven, we would. We can't do this of course, but certainly Jesus Christ can and did!
its tough for anyone to ignore the Marian apparitions in the last 150 yrs, as Mary attempts to bring people to her Son. What a great asset we have in our spiritual Mother Mary. "Woman, behold your son, son behold your Mother" wasn't just a saying directed towards John, it was directed towards all of us and is proven by her repeated intercession - especially in the 20th century.

Quoted from...
http://galatiansfour.blogspot.co.nz/2011/02/m...
One thing that helped wake me up and get me out of the Catholic Church was reading the Bible and books from the Catholic Church library on Marian apparitions at the same time. Fatima, Guadalupe, Lourdes, Knock, I examined them all and started seeing how things did not add up!. To be frank, "Mary" creeped me out, even her willingness to show poor little kids, visions of hell to traumatize them forever told me this wasn't anyone who was nice! The constant appeals to "suffering" for your own salvation and more told me, these events were not holy. In Catholic school as a child, I had this one teacher who loved Fatima, and made constant pilgrimages there. "Mary" seemed to be who she followed rather than Jesus.
One Vatican approved apparition is Our Lady of Fatima, and one of the most widely known ones where "Mary" showed up to three children in Portugal and gave them messages. It was interesting to note the figure calling itself "Mary" showing up at Fatima told the three children:

"Only I can help you. My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God."

Sometimes this is translated too as "Only I can save you"

Consider how much in opposition this is to the gospel!.

Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Sorry but everything this "Mary" figure makes up sounds like something Satan would definitely make up. Do not forget Satan's assertion in Isaiah 14:14 "I will be like the most High."

There is even more contradictions against scripture.

"Mary" of Fatima states:
"Here you see hell, where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart... Pray, pray a great deal and make sacrifices for sinners. So many souls go to hell because there is no one to pray and sacrifice for them.”

What God says:

Hebrews 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Definite discrepancies there. Even the line about saving souls from hell? Well think that one out, how is someone saved who is already in hell?

This was a definite "angel of light" to deceive!
Clay

Garden City, MI

#443415 May 21, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be the opinion of 85%- 90% of humanity.
Therefore, the CC failed Jesus and humanity.
2000 years too. Sorry.
Don't feel bad that it didn't work. None have, so you are not alone. There is no admissible evidence of any of man's gods.
On February 24th 303 AD, Pagan Rome and the four Emperors that governed it, launched the biggest mass persecution in the history of Christianity. They leveled every Church in the empire; rounded up the Pope and every Bishop, Priest and Deacon they could find and killed them. They confiscated every piece of Christian scripture they could get their hands on and burned them. Christians by the thousands were slaughtered or imprisoned. No one in their right mind would have admitted they were a follower of Jesus Christ.
Unless there was something real burning in their hearts.
My point is that, Christianity should have ended in the yrs following 303 AD, but 10 yrs later, the very Empire that brutalized the Catholic Church for 300 yrs converted to the faith. How does that happen? Why would they decide to follow a poor defenseless homeless man who's been 'dead' for 3 centuries and apparently wasn't powerful enough to get down from the cross even though He said He was God???
Like I said, there was something burning then and it continues today and we call that the Holy Spirit.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#443416 May 21, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary is in her grave awaiting the call of her Son.
The idea that Mary was assumed bodily is a recent dogma of the RCC.
The promise for me is...
Mark 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.
27. And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.
Paul in the letter to Thessalonians describes how the Lord will gather His elect.
1 Thessalonians 4:
16. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17. Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
So where do you think YOU will be at this time?
In Heaven already before anyone else?
The Assumption of Mary has been believed since the beginning of Christianity. Theological debate about the Assumption continued until Pope Pius XII officially defined it as dogma in 1950.

God did not allow the body of His mother to see corruption.
Because He could.

Heaven stands outside of time, therefore we can believe it is full of saints at this "moment". People in heaven are alive and love us and pray for us. Therefore I can ask them for their prayers.

You are free to not ask them for prayers.
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#443417 May 21, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
The Assumption of Mary has been believed since the beginning of Christianity. Theological debate about the Assumption continued until Pope Pius XII officially defined it as dogma in 1950.
God did not allow the body of His mother to see corruption.
Because He could.
Heaven stands outside of time, therefore we can believe it is full of saints at this "moment". People in heaven are alive and love us and pray for us. Therefore I can ask them for their prayers.
You are free to not ask them for prayers.
Conjecture. Most non-Catholics know that evil spirits have appeared to people as being loved ones.
The Bible has sufficient in it to guard us from this deception.
Catholics are vulnerable because they believe the dead are not really "dead".
You are anongst those.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#443418 May 21, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Quoted from...
http://galatiansfour.blogspot.co.nz/2011/02/m...
One thing that helped wake me up and get me out of the Catholic Church was reading the Bible.
Ok Tiger, what happens if I read my Bible (and I have my whole life) Confrint reads his Bible and you read your Bible and we all come to different conclusions. Now what?
You know this is the reality. If you put 5 people in separate rooms to read the bible, when they come out, who've got 5 different religions.
What if Confrint and I take a vote and decide you are wrong. Now what?
What if your grandkids undo your interpretations and now your Christianity is different than theirs?

Do you honestly believe THIS is the religion that Jesus Christ started and His Apostles went to their deaths to establish?

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#443419 May 21, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>cute story,how come this does not happen today? didn't know god worked for the IRS.
Now ya know where Creflo Dollar got his "inspiration" from.

Location hidden

#443420 May 21, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Tower of Babel was the first attempt at one world government and religion. Now it's being tried again.......JETHRO: Where are the remnants of the tower of babel? would love to see pictures of it.
Some archaeologists say they have found it..its base is only 300+ feet and it is estimated to only have been 295 feet high. LOL!
"Heaven" must have been really "low" in those days...
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#443421 May 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
Ok Tiger, what happens if I read my Bible (and I have my whole life) Confrint reads his Bible and you read your Bible and we all come to different conclusions? Now what?
You know this is the reality. If you put 5 people in separate rooms to read the bible, when they come out, who've got 5 different religions.
What if your grandkids undo your interpretations and now your Christianity is different than theirs?
Do you honestly believe THIS is the religion that Jesus Christ started and His Apostles went to their deaths to establish?
Clay, the Catholic Church has its hierarchy to tell you what to believe.

I have given you many scriptural verses to plainly tell you that what the Roman Catholic Church teaches is false.

The apostles started a church which is still alive and well today. It is NOT the Roman Catholic Church.

Her is a quotation from Scripture...

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Confrint and I both know what this means but you obviously think that all the dead people are in Heaven, Hell or Purgatory and perhaps Limbo.

Why would the Lord Himself come at the Second Coming to waken those who sleep in the dust of the earth? If they were already with Him in Heaven, it would be pointless!

You say they are not asleep.

Bible says they are.

Revelation 20 tells us there is also a second resurrection: that of the damned.

You say they are in Hell.

It is not a matter of whether you or I are correct. It is a matter of what the Bible plainly teaches.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#443422 May 21, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Conjecture. Most non-Catholics know that evil spirits have appeared to people as being loved ones.
The Bible has sufficient in it to guard us from this deception.
Catholics are vulnerable because they believe the dead are not really "dead".
You are anongst those.
Your statements are pure conjecture. All four sentences.

Location hidden

#443423 May 21, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Jethro, I don't believe this to be true.
I think it is just the opposite,
In the O.T. they were under the law,
The N.T. we are under the blood of Jesus.
We are still to obey the laws of God ,
Those who are punished for breaking the laws is severe Jethro, but remember Nations are in judgement because of people breaking the laws of God.
The people who broke Gods laws knew that, but did it anyway.
so who is the monster here a person who willing put a whole nation in judgement for his own selfish wants.
Or a God who made away for the forgiveness of sins.
Remember also the nations God did destroy were selling their own child for blood sacrifices to Baal. or some other evil practice
June and some others want to know why
God doesn't put an end to the suffering of the innocent, and when He does people claim He is the monster.
People have to make up their minds. To every thing there is a season Jethro, God isn't the bad guy here.
Here is a complete list of them...
http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#443424 May 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see... should we try Ox's criteria for salvation based on his private interpretation of the Bible?
-Deny that Jesus Christ is God.
-insult His Church that Apparently got His Ministry all screwed up.
-trash His Mother by saying she's just a vessel and if she didn't say yes to the Angel, someone else would have!
(If I was Christ, I wouldn't take to kindly to that.)
Now all I have to do is an alter call in one of those tent revival meetings then I'm saved eh?
She was no more than a lowly handmaiden...period....

Location hidden

#443425 May 21, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
The faith of Jesus is Christianity and it is based on all the history of the world which confirms the Bible, including the historic fact Jesus was recorded by all the historians.
Faith of Jesus???? What does that mean...exactly?????

Christianity: The Christian religion, founded on the life and teachings of Jesus.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#443426 May 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok Tiger, what happens if I read my Bible (and I have my whole life) Confrint reads his Bible and you read your Bible and we all come to different conclusions. Now what?
That would be the Orthodox Church. Or maybe not.

See your problem yet?

You selected your denomination based on emotional reasons and needs.

You had to, because there is no evidence of any god on which to base a reasoned and unbiased selection.

Most who "study" religion select the one in which they were raised.

Why? Because it is impossible to make a rational, fact-based choice based on zero real-world facts.

Emotion only.
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#443427 May 21, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe faith alone in the name Jesus will save you???
Save you from what? A god's wrath???
:)
June VanDerMark:

Because the human language is inadequate for a description, all I can do is approximate.

But its a "package" deal. It takes faith, hope, and especially love of God and fellow humanity. Faith and hope merge together, in an intellectual fashion, and becomes the bones and blood of a spiritual body.

Although I have faith, and a fear(the word I use is "awestruck at God's awesomeness) of God's wrath, neither one is a motivation for personal salvation. I can see they are for some, especially when starting out a spiritual journey with God.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#443428 May 21, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay, the Catholic Church has its hierarchy to tell you what to believe.
I have given you many scriptural verses to plainly tell you that what the Roman Catholic Church teaches is false.
The apostles started a church which is still alive and well today. It is NOT the Roman Catholic Church.
Her is a quotation from Scripture...
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
Confrint and I both know what this means but you obviously think that all the dead people are in Heaven, Hell or Purgatory and perhaps Limbo.
Why would the Lord Himself come at the Second Coming to waken those who sleep in the dust of the earth? If they were already with Him in Heaven, it would be pointless!
You say they are not asleep.
Bible says they are.
Revelation 20 tells us there is also a second resurrection: that of the damned.
You say they are in Hell.
It is not a matter of whether you or I are correct. It is a matter of what the Bible plainly teaches.
Since you seem to be quoting alot of "Paul" instead of Jesus, why do you think "Paul" was more enlightened than Jesus?

Location hidden

#443429 May 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter is mentioned 168 times in the Bible. More than all other Apostles combined.
Jesus gave Peter the keys.
Peter is always mentioned first. The Book of acts reveals this authority.
In Acts 15, you teach that Peter was subordinate to James? Interesting.
If the Catholic Church is not the one started by Jesus Christ, then who is?
Celibacy is a Catholic rule; a Discipline.
Priest are celibate because Jesus was celibate.
Please show where Jesus Christ commanded a Bible be compiled to dictate His Ministry? He didn't. That's why the Apostles took 30-50 yrs to even write anything. And that's why Christianity had no NT until the 5th century.
So much for 'Bible Alone'... it was never taught or heard of until the Books became published in 1452. Then, a hundred yrs later, people decided to direct their own Christian teachings.
Now look at the mess!
You will not answer my question because you know it will lead you to the truth...and make you a liar.....

Should you be called to do a specific job and when you report for work, you are given all the neccessary tools that will allow you to be perfect in performing your work, what other tools would you need?

Location hidden

#443430 May 21, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
When Peter went to Rome. Where the Bishop is, there is the Church.
Roman apologetics at their best!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#443431 May 21, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity: The Christian religion, founded on the life and teachings of Jesus.
Correction to your statement:

"Christianity: a religion founded on part of the life and teachings of Jesus."

There - that is now accurate.

Thanks for responding.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#443432 May 21, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Two different contexts. Both under the OLD COVENANT where GRACE was not available.
Under Moses' law, a person gathering sticks on the Sabbath was to be put to death.
Sin offerings in blood were made then. Death was a penalty for some transgressions.
In the OT, God demanded the destruction of whole nations including women, children and all the animals. It is one question I will ask when I get there: why.
Why? It sounded like you knew what the Bible said, so I asked.

Yes, they are both OT, and yes, they say opposite things, but I don't see where the context would change the meaning of either.

Neither do you.

In the OT, you claim God/Jesus had no problem killing children, and their children, and their children, up to the fourth generation, all because an original parent sinned.

That's visiting the sin upon the innocent mothers too, like mothers are only an afterthought.

Call it grace, call it whatever you want, that's like worshipping a god with as much compassion as Adolf Hitler.

Thankfully, your psycho god is just as imaginary as the nice gods.

Location hidden

#443433 May 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter is mentioned 168 times in the Bible. More than all other Apostles combined.
Jesus gave Peter the keys.
Peter is always mentioned first. The Book of acts reveals this authority.
In Acts 15, you teach that Peter was subordinate to James? Interesting.
If the Catholic Church is not the one started by Jesus Christ, then who is?
Celibacy is a Catholic rule; a Discipline.
Priest are celibate because Jesus was celibate.
Please show where Jesus Christ commanded a Bible be compiled to dictate His Ministry? He didn't. That's why the Apostles took 30-50 yrs to even write anything. And that's why Christianity had no NT until the 5th century.
So much for 'Bible Alone'... it was never taught or heard of until the Books became published in 1452. Then, a hundred yrs later, people decided to direct their own Christian teachings.
Now look at the mess!
That makes Peter the least....not the greatest!!!! Per Scripture:

Christ said:
And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.

But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 8 min River Tam 70,391
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 16 min Aussie Kev 3,010
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 28 min Helper 89
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 29 min gundee123 4,950
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 37 min Catcher1 974,671
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Peter Ross 445,519
Breaking The KING JAMES BIBLE (KJV) CODE 2 hr Gill Noggin 3
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr onemale 282,915
More from around the web