Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 637060 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#443025 May 20, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a good step to take, as many don't take it at all, and continue to live a life as told by others.
Now if you can just stop jumping to conclusions.
You learned the data about aliens from other people ... didn't you?

And you believe it is true.

That IS your conclusion.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#443026 May 20, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
JESUS IS GOD and He came to earth and proved it!
you better get your case against Him in order, because you may be standing in His court of law sooner than think!
IMO - there isn't going to be a "court".

I think you'll need to provide a better assertion.

Albuquerque, NM

#443027 May 20, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it would be best if I make sure what is attributed to Jesus' teachings is accurate.
All His teachings as recorded in the NT are contrary to your idea that the kingdom of heaven is within your Self.
No they aren't. You've just been told that they aren't.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#443028 May 20, 2013
Peter did absolutely NOTHING! Peter was nothing more than a vessel God used to deliver HIS message....not Peter's message. Peter was a coward until the Holy Spirit came upon him. Do you recall he denied Jesus three times. Once he denied Jesus to a little girl. So don't tell us about how wonderful Peter was.

Your said, quote, "Peter scolded the land owner and his wife for deceiving them and they fell dead;" End quote.

So Ananias and Sapphira withheld money from the apostles and your saying they fell dead because Peter scolded them. Are you completely off your rocker?

You said, quote, "Peter gave the word of God to the first Gentiles. The other Apostles questioned his doing, but he spoke from the authoritative chair so they obeyed." End quote.

Try reading Acts 10. Cornelius sent for Peter as God had instructed. While up on a roof Peter denies God three more times regarding what is clean and what is unclean. In fact Peter considered the Gentiles to be unclean. Do you remember? But to his credit Peter finally goes with the men Cornelius sent to bring him.
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
'Peter was a vessel; Paul was a vessel; Mary the Mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ, was just a vessel'
All to deliver the Sacred Scriptures to you!
You don't get to explain any part of Holy Scriptures to anybody. You can declare yourself Bishop of all the Deacons in your community. It means nothing as you stand before God.
You're like a kid playing a video game with sacred scriptures; trying to navigate your own Christianity without the help of the Holy Spirit. Hence, your a doctrinal mess.
Cly, I have asked you repeatedly that when you quote me to post my entire post. Again you did not post the entire post and thereafter went about making statements that make no sense.

I said, quote, "Peter did absolutely NOTHING! Peter was nothing more than a vessel God used to deliver HIS message....not Peter's message. Peter was a coward until the Holy Spirit came upon him. Do you recall he denied Jesus three times. Once he denied Jesus to a little girl. So don't tell us about how wonderful Peter was." End quote.

Your response, "'Peter was a vessel; Paul was a vessel; Mary the Mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ, was just a vessel'" End quote.

Thank you. You are proficient at stating the obvious. Let me ask, was Peter, Paul or Mary anything other than a vessel used by God to further His kingdom? Hey, that was a group at one time...Peter, Paul and Mary.

Your said, quote, "Peter scolded the land owner and his wife for deceiving them and they fell dead;" End quote.

So Ananias and Sapphira withheld money from the apostles and your saying they fell dead because Peter scolded them. Are you completely off your rocker?

You said, quote, "Peter gave the word of God to the first Gentiles. The other Apostles questioned his doing, but he spoke from the authoritative chair so they obeyed." End quote.

Try reading Acts 10. Cornelius sent for Peter as God had instructed. While up on a roof Peter denies God three more times regarding what is clean and what is unclean. In fact Peter considered the Gentiles to be unclean. Do you remember? But to his credit Peter finally goes with the men Cornelius sent to bring him.

Cly, you need to read A Bible instead of listening to Rome and the poop.

Albuquerque, NM

#443029 May 20, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it would be best if I make sure what is attributed to Jesus' teachings is accurate.
All His teachings as recorded in the NT are contrary to your idea that the kingdom of heaven is within your Self.
.....OR......

Men, as proven, had changed the meaning fo the texts to fit their own theology, thus requiring you to follow those same ones, if you are to be part of the religion.
Clay

United States

#443030 May 20, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>I never heard it,but read it,Pope Boniface VIII (1235-1303 CE) promulgated a Papal Bull in 1302 CE titled Unam Sanctam (One Holy). He wrote, in part: "Urged by faith, we are obliged to believe and to maintain that the Church is one, holy, catholic, and also apostolic. We believe in her firmly and we confess with simplicity that outside of her there is neither salvation nor the remission of sins...In her then is one Lord, one faith, one baptism [Ephesians 4:5]. There had been at the time of the deluge only one ark of Noah, prefiguring the one Church, which ark, having been finished to a single cubit, had only one pilot and guide, i.e., Noah, and we read that, outside of this ark, all that subsisted on the earth was destroyed....Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that "every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff".........."P ope Eugene IV,(1388-1447 CE) wrote a Papal bull in 1441 CE titled Cantate Domino. One paragraph reads: "It [the Church] firmly believes, professes, and proclaims that those not living within the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics cannot become participants in eternal life, but will depart 'into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels'[Matt. 25:41], unless before the end of life the same have been added to the flock; and that the unity of the ecclesiastical body is so strong that only to those remaining in it are the sacraments of the Church of benefit for salvation, and do fastings, almsgiving, and other functions of piety and exercises of Christian service produce eternal reward, and that no one, whatever almsgiving he has practiced, even if he has shed blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, "unless he has remained in the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church."......
Pope Innocent III (circa 1160 - 1216 CE) is considered "one of the greatest popes of the Middle Ages..." 1 At the Fourth Lateran Council (a.k.a. the General Council of Lateran, and the Great Council) he wrote: "There is but one universal Church of the faithful, outside of which no one at all can be saved."
JETHRO: your popes seem to think you do hold all rights to get into heaven,and belonging to gods church (lol) this must be true.
leave it to you to dig up a 12th century writing from a Pope that you undoubtedly snatched from a fanatical website..

One obvious point of your quote is that there was no such thing as Protestantism when the Pope said that. There was only the Catholic Church - including the Eastern Orthodox. His comments would be directed towards those that FIRST heard the Gospel, then were able to make a decision.

got anymore quotes from a thousand yrs ago?? lol

Albuquerque, NM

#443031 May 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe whatever makes you happy. That is your right.
I do.

You aren't allowed to do so when you are involved with a specific religious affiliation.

Albuquerque, NM

#443032 May 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Try mental telepathy.
Myth-makers according to all the bragging seem to be proficient at steering the imagination.
You have no control over my imagination.

And I doubt you have any telepathic ability. But you may believe you do. So, if it makes you happy - as it seems it does, then you go girl!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#443033 May 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
leave it to you to dig up a 12th century writing from a Pope that you undoubtedly snatched from a fanatical website..
One obvious point of your quote is that there was no such thing as Protestantism when the Pope said that. There was only the Catholic Church - including the Eastern Orthodox. His comments would be directed towards those that FIRST heard the Gospel, then were able to make a decision.
LOL LOL on you Cly. You are in a very sad state.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#443034 May 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
Be prepared for a let-down.
If he was anything, he was only for the Jews ... not for the likes of YOU.
Jesus is for everyone, including you.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#443035 May 20, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting stuff.
Only the born-again Catholics feel that way. Most Catholics today are new age and say that Protestants can indeed (gasp) enter Heaven.
Although it is implied that Protestants get a back seat in some fashion. They don't receive the same "fullness."
Obviously, there would be no back-and-forth over the centuries if this God weren't imaginary.
Their own religious images are all they treasure.

It's all about selfishness.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#443036 May 20, 2013
<quoted text>
And I doubt you have any telepathic ability. But you may believe you do. So, if it makes you happy - as it seems it does, then you go girl!
If I had telepathic ability, I would be able to know the past and the future as clear as if it were real.

But I don't know, and don't pretend to know.

Albuquerque, NM

#443037 May 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You learned the data about aliens from other people ... didn't you?
And you believe it is true.
That IS your conclusion.
No, I saw un unidentified flying object. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

It didn't have any correlation to any flying vehicle I ever saw, so I attributed it to an alien aircraft. This was back in the late 70's.

Well, 70 years is a long time, so we know your mind had been subject to years through a "programmed" state. The moment you chose to step away from it, you realized that this was true, so now you are making up for loss time, telling everyone how they are wrong n their beliefs.

Got it. I'll make a note of it.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#443038 May 20, 2013
<quoted text>
I do.
You aren't allowed to do so when you are involved with a specific religious affiliation.
Of course they are allowed their own imaginations within religions. That is why new sects appear on a regular basis. There are some odd 38,000 different sects of Christianity alone, all claiming to know the one and only truth.

Yours is the sect that believes aliens exist. Others believe other aliens that they call gods exist.

All believers enjoy their own images as pleasurable. And many will defend them to their own demise.

Albuquerque, NM

#443039 May 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
How 'bout this one.....

(3) Jesus says:

(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."

Oh wait - this one might be about 1800+ years old.

My bad.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#443040 May 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Delusion is strong in this one Luke.

The papal bull Unam Sanctam is considered the most famous papal document of the Middle Ages. Here's a short history.

http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish...

Vanderhoof, Canada

#443041 May 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Do YOU have control over your own imagination?

Albuquerque, NM

#443042 May 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If I had telepathic ability, I would be able to know the past and the future as clear as if it were real.
But I don't know, and don't pretend to know.
You had stated in the post in which I responded to, that you have "mental telepathy".

Hmmmmm.....
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#443043 May 20, 2013
<quoted text>
No they aren't. You've just been told that they aren't.
I have read the Bible myself and can see that Jesus taught His followers to take up their crosses, deny themselves, and follow Him, who emptied Himself, took on the form of servant, humbled Himself to God and was obedient to the Father even unto death.
It's all about self sacrifice, that's what Love is.
Granted, regular examinations of conscience are needed along the way, so in that sense, it is good to know your Self so you can work to change the parts of Self that are not Christ-like. Right?
Clay

United States

#443044 May 20, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL LOL on you Cly. You are in a very sad state.
When the Pope said that, you guys didn't exist. Protestantism wouldn't be born for another 300 yrs. Even so, for people like you who've heard the truth; been shown your false teachings and continue on ignoring your errors, what's God supposed to do with ya? You're too arrogant to ever stand before God. In fact, you're so arrogant, you don't even believe you'll stand before him!! Right? Don't you believe judgement is reserved for us Catholics and not you born agains cuz you're automatically saved?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 min Pegasus 280,457
jawan bhanji ki chudai kaise karu (Apr '13) 15 min sameer 131
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 20 min macumazahn 104,194
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 27 min lightbeamrider 28,056
Russia to be #1 Non-GMO Food Exporter... 59 min Truthiness 5
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 1 hr Ann Bonney 53,702
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Neville Thompson 44,081
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr pusherman 968,653
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 2 hr Paul is dead 3,593
More from around the web