Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
426,881 - 426,900 of 538,790 Comments Last updated 38 min ago
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442748 May 19, 2013
The knowledge of our religion and of the truth of things is independently manifest rather than in need of human teachers, for almost day by day it asserts itself by facts, and manifests itself brighter than the sun by the doctrine of Christ. 2. Still, as you nevertheless desire to hear about it, Macarius , come let us as we may be able set forth a few points of the faith of Christ: able though you are to find it out from the divine oracles, but yet generously desiring to hear from others as well. 3. For although the sacred and inspired Scriptures are sufficient to declare the truth—while there are other works of our blessed teachers compiled for this purpose, if he meet with which a man will gain some knowledge of the interpretation of the Scriptures, and be able to learn what he wishes to know—still, as we have not at present in our hands the compositions of our teachers, we must communicate in writing to you what we learned from them—the faith, namely, of Christ the Saviour; lest any should hold cheap the doctrine taught among us, or think faith. in Christ unreasonable. For this is what the Gentiles traduce and scoff at, and laugh loudly at us, insisting on the one fact of the Cross of Christ; and it is just here that one must pity their want of sense, because when they traduce the Cross of Christ they do not see that its power has filled all the world, and that by it the effects of the knowledge of God are made manifest to all. 4. For they would not have scoffed at such a fact, had they, too, been men who genuinely gave heed to His divine Nature. On the contrary, they in their turn would have recognised this man as Saviour of the world, and that the Cross has been not a disaster, but a healing of Creation. 5. For if after the Cross all idolatry was overthrown, while every manifestation of demons is driven away by this Sign , and Christ alone is worshipped and the Father known through Him, and, while gainsayers are put to shame, He daily invisibly wins over the souls of these gainsayers —how, one might fairly ask them, is it still open to us to regard the matter as human, instead of confessing that He Who ascended the Cross is Word of God and Saviour of the World? But these men seem to me quite as bad as one who should traduce the sun when covered by clouds, while yet wondering at his light, seeing how the whole of creation is illumined by him. 6. For as the light is noble, and the sun, the chief cause of light, is nobler still, so, as it is a divine thing for the whole world to be filled with his knowledge, it follows that the orderer and chief cause of such an achievement is God and the Word of God. 7. We speak then as lies within our power, first refuting the ignorance of the unbelieving; so that what is false being refuted, the truth may then shine forth of itself, and that you yourself, friend, may be reassured that you have believed what is true, and in coming to know Christ have not been deceived. Moreover, I think it becoming to discourse to you, as a lover of Christ, about Christ, since I am sure that you rate faith in and knowledge of Him above anything else whatsoever.

AGAINST THE HEATHEN

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/2801.htm

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#442749 May 19, 2013

Clay...If you have responded....I missed it...

Catholics claim they and they alone have the unwritten oral traditions given to them and them alone by Jesus Christ through the apostles.....

I just looked up "Traditions" in the Catholic Encyclopedia....not one Scripture was mentioned to support that farce...because it did not happen!!!!

Why would the redeemer of the world, Jesus Christ, teach only one denomination traditions that no one else was taught???!!!! Would that not make Him unjust???!!!

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442750 May 19, 2013
World History Timelines
Din Timelines

x - Papal bull orders the burning of any books questioning Church's authority
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442751 May 19, 2013
Gosh darn it! History is so replete with the authenticity of the Catholic Church.

Let's get started on it:

De Spiritu Sancto by Basil the Great

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3203.htm
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442752 May 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Those Catholics were horrible bullies. They held all the power, and they knew it.
Yes, isn't it lucky?

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442753 May 19, 2013
If you think the hierarchies in churches still didn't wield power in the early 1900s, observe the following.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

World History Timelines
Din Timelines

February

11 - Emma Goldman is arrested for lecturing on birth control.
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442754 May 19, 2013
Clement of Rome:

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1010.htm

It must be really embarrassing to the heretics, atheists and pagans that the proof is in the pudding!

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442755 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, isn't it lucky?
I agree that it would please you if you could use your religion to bully people.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#442756 May 19, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Clay...If you have responded....I missed it...
Catholics claim they and they alone have the unwritten oral traditions given to them and them alone by Jesus Christ through the apostles.....
I just looked up "Traditions" in the Catholic Encyclopedia....not one Scripture was mentioned to support that farce...because it did not happen!!!!
Why would the redeemer of the world, Jesus Christ, teach only one denomination traditions that no one else was taught???!!!! Would that not make Him unjust???!!!
The word "Tradition" is used to make "We made this stuff up" sound meaningful.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442757 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
Clement of Rome:
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1010.htm
It must be really embarrassing to the heretics, atheists and pagans that the proof is in the pudding!
Your terminology bespeaks of the language of a wanna-be bully!

Too bad for you that you can't use your religion to get away with it anymore.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#442758 May 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
World History Timelines
Din Timelines
x - Papal bull orders the burning of any books questioning Church's authority
One of many times. Still doing it today. Fortunately they don't run the world any more. I think they are pissed off about that.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442759 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
AGAINST THE HEATHEN
You'll know the religious bullies by their use of words.
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442760 May 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that it would please you if you could use your religion to bully people.
LOL! LOL! I don't need to bully anyone when I am standing on solid ground. It is you that would like to bully with your damned atheism!

The One True Church

http://www.drbo.org/church2.htm

Repent of your atheism for the Kingdom of God is at hand!
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442761 May 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
If you think the hierarchies in churches still didn't wield power in the early 1900s, observe the following.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
World History Timelines
Din Timelines
February
11 - Emma Goldman is arrested for lecturing on birth control.
As she should have been!

"Go forth and multiply!"

Emma Goldman was going directly against God. Bad things tend to happen to people when they do that.
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442762 May 19, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
The word "Tradition" is used to make "We made this stuff up" sound meaningful.
Uh huh! Just like you God deniers make crap up!

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442763 May 19, 2013
My guess is, these religious ones on the forum that are so mouthy and arrogant in their claims of holiness, would be the worst bullies in reality, if only they had a chance to wield their power over others.

Those who perceive that they are holy are in denial of their brute-like lusts for violence.
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442764 May 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your terminology bespeaks of the language of a wanna-be bully!
Too bad for you that you can't use your religion to get away with it anymore.
You are such a fool. I don't need to rely on myself for anything as you do. I rely on God, His Word, and His actions while on earth. You are the one that is on sinking sand headed straight for Hell!
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442765 May 19, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
One of many times. Still doing it today. Fortunately they don't run the world any more. I think they are pissed off about that.
You better look around you, you God denying FOOL! This world is falling apart thanks to violence, homosexuality, abortion, and fools like you!

Repent you hellbound sinner before it is too late.
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442766 May 19, 2013
St. Francis of Sales

The declared enemies of God and His Church, heretics and schismatics, must be criticized as much as possible, as long as truth is not denied.

It is a work of charity to shout: "Here is the wolf!" when it enters the flock or anywhere else.

truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442767 May 19, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min mike 599,807
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min DeAngelo of Memphis 732,705
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 15 min onemale 257,842
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 23 min bacon hater 94,645
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 32 min Hannah V 1,006
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 37 min Roberta G 173,273
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 38 min Black Thunder 42 441,186
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 46 min well 226,244
•••
Enter and win $5000