Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 685462 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442813 May 19, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the OT is an example of this, you have already lost that argument.
Who could possibly want a god above them and dictating to them by order and example such atrocity and reprehensible behavior- far surpassing their wildest imagination of evil? Further compound that with the behavior of the wonderful "Universal [catholic] Church" in the many Crusades and inquisitions, and then it's inclusion in the atrocities of the 3rd Reich.
Such an exemplary example of Jesus teachings! >>spits on ground<<
What would you know of Jesus' teachings since you are a God denying atheist? What would you know of God?

You are nothing more than an ignorant tool of Satan trying to deceive the world as you did in the beginning:

"Surely you will not die!!"

Anyone who listens to your voice, listens to the lies of Satan!

Jesus said that His sheep listen to His voice and will not be fooled by the wiles of the wolf seeking to scatter the sheep!
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442814 May 19, 2013
Atheism belongs in the cult of death, or as we Catholics say, "The culture of death."

The culture of death includes abortion, euthanasia, suicide and atheism. Yes, atheism. Atheism seeks to destroy your soul by convincing you there is no God.

Problem is, they surely haven't convinced themselves lest they wouldn't be arguing with Christians that there is no God.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#442815 May 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I looked at both sides before I committed to Catholicism.
I see a colossal doctrinal mess throughout Protestantism. They all teach different things. I can plainly see the chaos.
Every single sect of yours was clearly started by some guy and not Jesus Christ. The Church Jesus started is the Catholic Church. I'm going all in with them because I have actual faith in Christ.(not to mention, you guys fail miserably trying to discredit Catholicism and you literally need to lie in order to try it. That's a fact LTM. Fact!)
Clay, you lie in fact, all us born-agains that post agree on the most important Christian principles.

We could go to church together and partake in communion together.

Didn't you see how God gave us His Word and that alone is sufficient?
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#442816 May 19, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Iraeneus: "The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate. Of this Linus, Paul makes mention in the Epistles to Timothy. To him succeeded Anacletus; and after him, in the third place from the apostles, Clement was allotted the bishopric..... To this Clement there succeeded Evaristus. Alexander followed Evaristus; then, sixth from the apostles, Sixtus was appointed; after him, Telephorus, who was gloriously martyred; then Hyginus; after him, Pius; then after him, Anicetus. Sorer having succeeded Anicetus, Eleutherius does now, in the twelfth place from the apostles, hold the inheritance of the episcopate. In this order, and by this succession, the ecclesiastical tradition from the apostles, and the preaching of the truth, have come down to us. And this is most abundant proof that there is one and the same vivifying faith, which has been preserved in the Church from the apostles until now, and handed down in truth.(SOURCE: Iraeneus Against Heresies, Volume I, Book III, Para 3)
Note that Iraeneus clearly states that Linus was first bishop of Rome - not Peter. Iraeneus then gives us the identity of the first twelve Bishops of Rome:
1. Linus
2. Anacletus
3. Clement
4. Evaristus
5. Alexander
6. Sixtus
7. Ignatius (Telephorus)
8. Huginus
9. Pius
10. Anicetus
11. Sorer
12. Eleutherius
Notice that Peter's name is not found in the above list. Notice also that according to Iraeneus, it was Paul, not Peter, who appointed Linus the first bishop of Rome. So much for early papal authority.
Old JG: Your anti-catholic information is as "bogus and distorted" as always, which is about all we can expect from heretics like you!!!

St Peter-the first Bishop (Pope) of Rome
The Apostle St. Peter was the first Bishop of Rome, and thus the first Pope of the Catholic Church. Peter was chosen to become a Vicar of Christ by Jesus with Jesus as the Head of the Catholic church.
There are many references to this in the Bible. Just a few examples would include:
- "And I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church" (Matt. 16:18).(Note: the word for Peter and Rock is the same.)(Christ was acknowledging Peter's recognition of Christ and upon this recognition would Christ build his church. Christ did not appoint Peter as his successor rather he sent the 12 apostles to teach the people and build the Church.)
- Jesus entrusted Peter with his flock, making him too a Good Shepherd (John 21:15-17).
- After his conversion Paul went to see Peter, the chief apostle (Gal. 1:18).
Also, before Peter went on to establish the Roman church (the Catholic Church), he was the Patriarch of Antioch.
Many denominations, not just Catholic, recognize that indeed Peter was the first Pope.*
13 ¶ When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say aye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#442817 May 19, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. That is what it does.
Now you may understand why I almost NEVER say "GOD"...but rather the ALL. You words are always misconstrued to mean a "limited to human attribute deity".
Seems no matter what word I use, it gets misconstrued. LOL

I used to use Tao. The Taoist religion screwed that up. LOL
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#442818 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
And Peter said to them,“Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
I suggest you choose after you die, one of the Buddhist hells. There, if you are "lucky" they will give you the choice of hot OR cold hell.

Now that is a bargain you just don't get every day.

:)
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442819 May 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay, you lie in fact, all us born-agains that post agree on the most important Christian principles.
That is not true. Baptists have closed Communion and will only give it to the members of their church.

Closed Communion:
The Baptist Position Stated and Defended

http://www.baptistpillar.com/article_621.html
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#442820 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
Which Church Father Are You?
Fun quiz for Catholics only!
http://www.fathersofthechurch.com/2007/04/03/...
This was great, thanks!! Lots of fun!
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442821 May 19, 2013
Marge, how about this factoid?

"For everyone to be admitted to the Lord’s Supper, without distinction or selection, is a sign of contempt that the Lord cannot endure. The Lord himself distributed the supper to his disciples only. Therefore anyone not instructed in the doctrine of the gospel ought not to approach what the Lord has instituted. No one should be distressed when his Christianity is examined even down to the finest point when he is to be admitted to the Lord’s Supper. It should be established as part of the total state and system of discipline that ought to flourish in the church that those who are judged unworthy should not be admitted." - John Calvin, "Letter on Various Subjects" in the book Calvin’s Ecclesiastical Advice."
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#442822 May 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
lol....Marge, you can't agree on what time of day it is and everybody knows it. Stop lying.
June VanDerMark

Terrace, Canada

#442823 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
Atheism belongs in the cult of death, or as we Catholics say, "The culture of death."
What have you got against death? It is god's will that we all die, isn't it?

It says right in your bible that we should stone each other to death. Now that is god's will, so I suggest you stop complaining.

truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442824 May 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you choose after you die, one of the Buddhist hells. There, if you are "lucky" they will give you the choice of hot OR cold hell.
Now that is a bargain you just don't get every day.
I told you on another thread that Buddhists are as atheistic as you and gave you a link proving that. Enough said sweetheart.
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442825 May 19, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
This was great, thanks!! Lots of fun!
You're welcome! I like that one a lot too.
June VanDerMark

Terrace, Canada

#442826 May 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
I see it. When are you going to start stoning people to death?

truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442827 May 19, 2013
More on the Protestant idea of Communion Marge:

"Although ignorant and wicked men receive the outward elements in this sacrament; yet, they receive not the thing signified thereby; but, by their unworthy coming thereunto, are guilty of the body and blood of the Lord, to their own damnation. Wherefore, all ignorant and ungodly persons, as they are unfit to enjoy communion with Him, so are they unworthy of the Lord's table; and cannot, without great sin against Christ, while they remain such, partake of these holy mysteries, or be admitted thereunto." - Westminster Confession of Faith, "Of the Lord Supper," Chapter 29:8, 1647, Original Edition.

"... lay people who refuse to learn (the catechism—ed.) should not be admitted to the Sacrament, and fathers must insist that children learn to recite these basics" - Martin Luther, Oxford Encyclopedia of the Reformation, Vol. 1, p. 276.
June VanDerMark

Terrace, Canada

#442828 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you on another thread that Buddhists are as atheistic as you and gave you a link proving that. Enough said sweetheart.
Buddhism came on the scene long before Christianity, so don't be pushing others our of the heavenly realm. It's not nice to be so greedy.

truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442829 May 19, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
lol....Marge, you can't agree on what time of day it is and everybody knows it. Stop lying.
Toss out once saved always saved among them and see what happens.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#442830 May 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy you really don't like Peter do you? Do you consider his writings inspired; are Peters writings Biblical?
What say the Deacon oldjg, of some church started by some dude, in Illinois, USA??
Almost all of the references below can be verified in Edward Giles Documents Illustrating Papal Authority AD 96-454 (London: SPCK, 1952 reprinted by Hyperion Press, 1979) or Jesus, Peter, and the Keys: A Scriptural Handbook on the Papacy edited by Scott Butler, Norm Dahlgren, David Hess (Queenship, 1996). Mark is responding to a critic (hereafter, "our critic") on the early Papacy which will be quoted in smaller font.
by Mark Bonocore

The author of an anti-Papal essay starts off by asserting:
<< Of immense importance to the question of leadership of the church today is the issue of the Apostle Peter and doctrine of apostolic succession. It has already been demonstrated that Peter was not the first bishop of the first church. >>

Has it now? Well, certainly not according to the witness of our ancient Christian forefathers:
(1) Tertullian (c. AD 197) speaks of Peter apart from Paul as ordaining Clement as his episcopal successor (De Praescrip Haer 32).
(2) The Poem Against Marcion (c. 200 AD) states how "Peter bad Linus to take his place and sit on the chair whereon he himself had sat" (III, 80). The word "chair" (cathedra) in ecclesiastical language always means one's episcopal throne (i.e. the bishop's chair).
(3) Caius of Rome (214 AD) calls Pope Victor the thirteenth bishop of Rome after Peter (Euseb HE V, 28).
(4) Hippolytus (225 AD) counts Peter as the first Bishop of Rome (Dict Christian Biog I, 577).
(5) Cyprian (in 250) speaks of Rome as "the place of Peter" (Ep ad Anton), and as "the Chair of Peter" (Ep ad Pope Cornelius).
(6) Firmilian (257) speaks of Pope Stephen's claim to the "succession of Peter" and to the "Chair of Peter" (Ep ad Cyprian).
(7) Eusebius (314) says that Peter was "the bishop of Rome for twenty-five years" (Chron an 44), and calls Linus "first after Peter to obtain the episcopate" (Chron an 66). He also says that Victor was "the thirteenth bishop of Rome after Peter" (HE III, 4).
(8) The Council of Sardica "honors the memory of the Apostle Peter" in granting Pope Julius I the right to judge cases involving other episcopal sees under imperial Roman law (Sardica Canon IV, and Ep ad Pope Julius).
(9) Athanasius (340's) calls Rome the "Apostolic Throne" -- a reference to the Apostle Peter as the first bishop to occupy that throne (Hist Arian ad Monarch 35).
(10) Optatus (370) says that the episcopal chair of Rome was first established by Peter, "in which chair sat Peter himself." He also says how "Peter first filled the pre-eminent chair," which "is the first of the marks of the Church." (Schism Donat II, 2 and II, 3).
(11) Pope Damasus (370) speaks of the "Apostolic chair" in which "the holy Apostle sitting, taught his successors how to guide the helm of the Church" (Ep ix ad Synod, Orient ap Theodoret V, 10). Damasus also states how "The first See is that of Peter the Apostle, that of the Roman church" and says how Rome received primacy not by the conciliar decisions of the other churches, but from the evangelic voice of the Lord, when He says, "Thou art Peter..." (Decree of Damasus 382).
( http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a87.htm

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#442831 May 19, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Despite his house arrest Galileo publishes Discorsi e dimostrazioni mathematiche intorno a due nuove scienze attenenti alla meccanica (Dialogue Concerning Two New Sciences, a work about the principles of mechanics.
Galileo makes the discovery, months before he went completely blind, that the moon makes monthly wobbles on its axis, called liberations.
Do the Math Genius on when he was put under house arrest and publishing and finding of these discoveries. Yep he was eating bread and water and in solitary confinement. Geesh. Mocking the Pope who had given him a way to not upset his protractors. Holding a theory and mocking the hand that feeds you not a good idea. Sorry but Galileo is far from the mark of proving science was stifled or the pitiful argument that science flourished after Luther. lol
It appears YOU need to revisit when the "solar" theory was made. I already stated that.
Now you want to move the goalpost to "lunar" motion!

You are dancing in a contest you WILL NOT win.
History is quite accurate on these points, and all the apologetics you want to spew will not change that.
Like I said, all you can do now is attempt to move the goalposts, obfuscate, or outright lie...and even then I have proved you wrong with historical fact time and again.

Originally, the question was- exactly when and where did the catholic church(papacy) contribute to Galileo's research.
All you have done is dance around the entire question by deflection and obfuscation of the intended query...You know why, and so do I. You have absolutely no proof of your lie to begin with... and it was pure rhetoric and baseless rhetoric.

Your effort to conceal the fact that you are lying has cost you even more embarrassment attempting to cover the original lie.

I already warned you that you were going to go down this path, but your arrogance in ignorance has caused you to make a complete fool of yourself.

You are shooting yourself in the foot...your credibility is sinking like the Titanic...by your own arrogance, and your inability to even answer the actual query.
June VanDerMark

Terrace, Canada

#442832 May 19, 2013
Whether people of religion go up or down after death is comparable to playing "pop goes the weasel."

With all those hells, it's going to be tough to avoid all of them and try to climb a ladder that might not exist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 16 min Alt right lies ne... 24,639
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Aerobatty 985,584
News Gov. Abbott suggests 'bathroom bill' is likely ... 3 hr e williams 3
Sarah George 5 hr Rememberboys 1
News GOP not interested in health care for us 5 hr discocrisco 1
OVERWHELMED...by God's blessings 7 hr Doctor REALITY 12
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 hr Jake999 619,749
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 7 hr Doctor REALITY 32
More from around the web