Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 591358 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#442047 May 17, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You can repeat it all day long, but in the end, they will only continue to object and refute it, because they want to believe what men have told them.
Its that fear thing. It's hard for them to shake. Shoot - it took June 70 years.
Ya I was lucky to not have been subject to that.
My People taught me different.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#442048 May 17, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
So a 2000 year old book is your only witness?
Where exactly is that "empirical"(Adjectiv e
Based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic) evidence?
Nope, you didn't read all of what I wrote.

From the time of Moses down to the current time...we have had consistent witnesses, each witness verifying previous ones, that God exists.(hence empirical evidence, because previous visions have been verified) The Bible says (I gave quotes) that you can have the privilege of seeing God.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#442049 May 17, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say we have no evidence. But for a God to come as man for 32 years, you might expect much more. Something like a contemporary account would have been nice.
32 years of god-man and we only have scant evidence of 2 years.
But in his wisdom, God left us with the Holy Spirit and UFOs, which should probably be plenty for me. But it's not.
Don't be upset, because we agree on 95% of the world's religious dogma, it's all baloney. All except yours.
Why are you surprise, up till the time Jesus started to preach the Kingdom of God people thought He was just the son of a carpenter.
When He was born Mary and Joseph had to hid with Him people were trying to kill Him.
It was only after His baptism, and His 40 days and night in the wilderness, did His ministry start.
His brothers and sisters didn't even know He was the Messiah.
There was much written about Him before he was born, He fulfilled all prophecy about Him.
The 12 disciples , wrote much about Him in the N.T. as did Paul.
The is a book written about Him Its Called the Holy Bible.
You just choose to not believe what is written.
The Quran' believes in the virgin birth they honor Mary but to them Jesus is just a Prophet like Muhammad.

Location hidden

#442050 May 17, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>the "true church" would not have to change it's beliefs,like i said the pope is considered the vicar of christ by the church,he has all the answers,he is god on earth.and since they do change their beliefs,there is no way it can be the true church.
Ok, I don't follow the "standing as God on earth" idea... but what is wrong with changing beliefs as more truth is revealed?
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#442051 May 17, 2013
256 St. Gregory of Nazianzus, also called "the Theologian", entrusts this summary of Trinitarian faith to the catechumens of Constantinople:

Above all guard for me this great deposit of faith for which I live and fight, which I want to take with me as a companion, and which makes me bear all evils and despise all pleasures: I mean the profession of faith in the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. I entrust it to you today. By it I am soon going to plunge you into water and raise you up from it. I give it to you as the companion and patron of your whole life. I give you but one divinity and power, existing one in three, and containing the three in a distinct way. Divinity without disparity of substance or nature, without superior degree that raises up or inferior degree that casts down... the infinite co-naturality of three infinites. Each person considered in himself is entirely God... the three considered together... I have not even begun to think of unity when the Trinity bathes me in its splendor. I have not even begun to think of the Trinity when unity grasps me...92

92 St. Gregory of Nazianzus, Oratio 40,41: PG 36,417.

Location hidden

#442052 May 17, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be a sad day. The Catholic Church did a lot to patron the arts. Think of all the music, architecture and art we would not have without the Catholic Church. What would great thinkers like Leonardo da Vinci have done without funding from the Catholic church? I think we would be living in a more primitive world if church had not existed as a gathering place and thinktank. True the church was selective with which thinkers it endorsed, but a great deal of good was funded by the church.
The church funded Da Vinci?
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#442054 May 17, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>a great deal of sadness has come from the church also, architecture and art,pagan statues and paintings all over vatican city,how does that benefit the world? da vinci would of found money somewhere else if the church did not support him,he was a man way ahead of his time,music,rock&roll became popular the church called it devils music,now that they realize it's not going to go away they opened a recording studio and sell rock&roll oriented religious music,they are now into the dating game, christians.com ,they tried to suppress science for decades,even throwing Galileo into prison,because it did not agree with his fact that the earth is not the center of the universe,they suppress more that would benefit life than encourage it,did you read my news article i posted, a woman died at a catholic hospital after three days of begging to abort her child because she was miscarrying and she died from blood poisoning,and their reason was for not helping her " the consultant said it was the law, that this is a Catholic country." it is not the law, it is perfectly legal when a persons life is at stake.they believed in slavery,and now they are trying to build catholic churches all around Africa, Muslims are burning them down. The Catholic Church has in fact changed a vast number of beliefs over the years:
It used to believe those who translated the Bible into English should be killed, but doesn't think this any more.
It used to believe unbaptized babies go to hell, or limbo, but doesn't think this any more.
It used to believe atheists and heretics should be executed, but doesn't think this any more.It used to believe priests could marry, but doesn't think this any more.
It used to believe the sun goes round the earth, but doesn't think this any more.
It used to believe the world is a few thousand years old, but doesn't think this any more.
It used to believe humans have no animal ancestry, but doesn't think this any more.
It used to believe in the blood libel against the Jews, and it even canonised "saints" who were supposed victims of "ritual murder" by the Jews, but apparently it doesn't believe this any more.
IF the catholic church was the true church it would not change it's beliefs so much,they would have knowledge of all the answers because the pope is suppose to be the vicar of Christ.
Amen Jethro

Location hidden

#442055 May 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
For starters, you might want to read some of the writings from the fathers of the Church. They are much less vague than I.
What I can tell you is that they all held the Catholic faith. None of them held the protestant evangelical faith.
Well DUH...Your rhetoric is good, but that is all so far.

Location hidden

#442056 May 17, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I know - they let Tom Hanks in there....*winks*....
Well- only cuz he got's "chocolates"!
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#442057 May 17, 2013
The Church Fathers

In this section we shall show that the doctrine of the Blessed Trinity has from the earliest times been taught by the Catholic Church and professed by her members. As none deny this for any period subsequent to the Arian and Macedonian controversies, it will be sufficient if we here consider the faith of the first four centuries only. An argument of very great weight is provided in the liturgical forms of the Church. The highest probative force must necessarily attach to these, since they express not the private opinion of a single individual, but the public belief of the whole body of the faithful. Nor can it be objected that the notions of Christians on the subject were vague and confused, and that their liturgical forms reflect this frame of mind. On such a point vagueness was impossible. Any Christian might be called on to seal with his blood his belief that there is but One God. The answer of Saint Maximus (c. A.D. 250) to the command of the proconsul that he should sacrifice to the gods, "I offer no sacrifice save to the One True God," is typical of many such replies in the Acts of the martyrs. It is out of the question to suppose that men who were prepared to give their lives on behalf of this fundamental truth were in point of fact in so great confusion in regard to it that they were unaware whether their creed was monotheistic, ditheistic, or tritheistic. Moreover, we know that their instruction regarding the doctrines of their religion was solid. The writers of that age bear witness that even the unlettered were thoroughly familiar with the truths of faith (cf. Justin, First Apology 60; Irenaeus, Against Heresies III.4.2).
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htm

Location hidden

#442058 May 17, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Not necessarily on this forum, but among denominations.
I'm not sure how you could determine who believes in only "a portion of what Jesus taught" because it is debated who, where, what, and when Christ taught. I believe that a lot of people only know about or study a small portion of what Jesus taught, but I still consider them "Christians."
To me, a "Christian" is someone who professes faith in the saving power of Christ's atonement and acts on it.
I think God is an inclusive God, and I don't think He would want us trying to exclude people from his fold....even if they may seem to be on the outer fringes.
IOW, You don't have to even read the bible or go any church...just blindly accept Jesus as you savior and that is it HUH?
If you say you are it -you are it-YER SAVED!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahh! <SNORT> Hahahahahahahahahahh!

Location hidden

#442059 May 17, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>the "true church" would not have to change it's beliefs,like i said the pope is considered the vicar of christ by the church,he has all the answers,he is god on earth.and since they do change their beliefs,there is no way it can be the true church.
Ya wanna know the name of the "original" true [organized] "church" of Jesus?

It was called-the "Church if God of Jerusalem".

Anyone who can find an "earlier" organized church of Jesus is free to put it up and I will recant.

Location hidden

#442060 May 17, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
What else will the Catholic Church change in the future? It is obvious that in the future, the church will change its position on contraception, homosexuality, women priests and married priests. It will forget that it ever opposed them, and the fact that it ever did will just become the humorous answer to a trivia question: "The church once opposed contraception - oddly enough!"
I dunno...maybe Mary will become fully "divine" and it will be known as the "Quadraplipity"...wh o knows...it ain't like they ain't done it before.

Might take some bloody fights between them bishop fellas, but that ain't nuth'n new neither...is it?
Disciple

Temecula, CA

#442061 May 17, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
We can see CO2. We can predict what it will do. We can test it, measure it, and even weight it.
We can measure exactly what a CO2 molecule does to light energy.
Not one member of the National Academy of Science disputes what C)2 does.
So no, not imaginary like your god.
Why would a so called Christian be in denial in order to support excess anyhow? I don't understand?
Which is to promote plant growth not global warming.
Who's in denial? Who is imagining things?
I say you.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#442062 May 17, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Not necessarily on this forum, but among denominations.
I'm not sure how you could determine who believes in only "a portion of what Jesus taught" because it is debated who, where, what, and when Christ taught. I believe that a lot of people only know about or study a small portion of what Jesus taught, but I still consider them "Christians."
To me, a "Christian" is someone who professes faith in the saving power of Christ's atonement and acts on it.
I think God is an inclusive God, and I don't think He would want us trying to exclude people from his fold....even if they may seem to be on the outer fringes.
Thanks for responding.

"To me, a "Christian" is someone who professes faith in the saving power of Christ's atonement and acts on it."
- not a bad definition - one could also say the exact same thing occurs with the Self.
- but if you really dig deeper into your definition, you've actually stated something directly related to a choice an individual makes, which really has nothing to do with Jesus at all. Which is accurately described as Self.

So you are correct that no religion is required to become a follower of anybody - Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Quetzalcoatl.

Thanks for providing yet another 'different' definition of a "Christian", I'll add it to the many others, that people have expressed.

*sighs* You bummed me out though. Want to know why? Well, your definition doesn't include the following:

"is someone who professes faith in the saving power of Christ's atonement and acts on it."
- just because one professes and acts upon this "saving power" - through "faith", you didn't describe how much faith is required.
- you didn't mention nothing on the Spirit, unless you are implying that the "saving power of Christ" is this Spirit. Is it?

Cheers!

Location hidden

#442063 May 17, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
ancient aliens is on,the history channel2,very interesting show.
Don't believe every thing you hear in their "show". A lot of it is is incorrect.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#442064 May 17, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:

The Catholic Church did a lot to patron the arts. Think of all the music, architecture and art we would not have without the Catholic Church.

New Age writes:
Poetry and the troubadours of the 11th and 12th centuries played a big role as well. Laying claim to solely the CCis arrogant. People still had imaginations and personal talents without any relationship to that organization.

Location hidden

#442065 May 17, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
The church funded Da Vinci?
Yes, it commissioned some work from him. http://www.leonardoda-vinci.org/biography.htm...

Location hidden

#442066 May 17, 2013
Regina wrote:
The doctrine of the Trinity is encapsulated in Matthew 28:19, where Jesus instructs the apostles: "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."
The parallelism of the Father, the Son, and the Spirit is not unique to Matthew’s Gospel, but appears elsewhere in the New Testament (e.g., 2 Cor. 13:14, Heb. 9:14), as well as in the writings of the earliest Christians, who clearly understood them in the sense that we do today—that the Father, the Son, and the Spirit are three divine persons who are one divine being (God).
The Didache
"After the foregoing instructions, baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living [running] water.... If you have neither, pour water three times on the head, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" (Didache 7:1 [A.D. 70]).
Ignatius of Antioch
"[T]o the Church at Ephesus in Asia ... chosen through true suffering by the will of the Father in Jesus Christ our God" (Letter to the Ephesians 1 [A.D. 110]).
"For our God, Jesus Christ, was conceived by Mary in accord with God’s plan: of the seed of David, it is true, but also of the Holy Spirit" (ibid., 18:2).
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-trinity
One questoin...Does it say anywhere in Matthew..."Jesus of Nazareth"?

BTW "waters" was the "abyss"(nun) spoken of in the "Old Kingdom" of Egypt.

BTW- If "lineage" was determined by "male" succession(as was everyone preceding), then Jesus born of "Mary" was totally out of the picture of succession of lineage.

Location hidden

#442068 May 17, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
IOW, You don't have to even read the bible or go any church...just blindly accept Jesus as you savior and that is it HUH?
If you say you are it -you are it-YER SAVED!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahh! <SNORT> Hahahahahahahahahahh!
Being a Christian and being "saved" are different things.

I don't understand what is so funny. What do you mean by "blindly accept Jesus"?

Being a Christian is much more than simply saying it, as I mentioned before, it implies action.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min It aint necessari... 841,652
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 37 min Peace_Warrior 612,278
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 51 min Tony 5,868
Top 5 Millionaire Dating Sites Review On the Web! 1 hr MillionaireDating... 1
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr Killer 7,169
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 176,968
I'm a proud gay man! 1 hr Arbin Larfin 1
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr Truth Doctor 4,779
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr MUQ2 271,466
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 7 hr RiccardoFire 100,205