Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 654124 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#441865 May 17, 2013
Through time there were many stories written about sons of gods that came to earth as saviors.

Yet not one of those supposed sons of gods wrote anything down anywhere. Not even one signature has been found of Jesus or the other supposed saviors. The stories were all told about what the saviors said and did.

Why were these men so accredited with knowledge not able or WILLING to write on behalf of their selves?

From my perception, it's because they didn't exist TO write on their own behalves.

That is why the fitting term is "mythology."

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#441866 May 17, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
That is quite a stretch.
It is recorded that Jesus resurrected and had a body. That is in the canon of the Bible. GoTom is not part of the canon because it includes such oddities as this.
....it's not recorded in the earliest bibles - Codex Sinaiticus or Vaticanus.

Are you saying since your Bible is newer, you have a more clear-cut "truth"?

Don't believe everything you read or have been given.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#441867 May 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
This is "typical media hype" using words such as "denouncing. blasting, demanding" to exaggerate the Popes "actual tone of words" in his homily regarding wealthy's neglect of the poor.
Deep crawling-under-the-rug denial.

OK, so what did the Pope say about the "cult of money" and the world's financial system?

Oh wait! Why don't we ask the Pope to open up the Vatican bank books, and he can simply show the world how Jesus would invest.

Don't tell us, show us. That "tone" would be sensible, right?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#441868 May 17, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is yours? I've yet to see any declaration made by "God" that anything you accept was authorized.
You really don't understand how your religion came to be, huh?
*sighs*
You just think of 'Pentecost', and you are off to the races.
*hands you his roadmap and compass*
If you need help with understanding these tools, I will be available right here to assist you.
Dont' confuse us with the protestants who pick up a bible and consider themselves an authority.

I am taught and believe that God's Son, Jesus, commissioned the apostles who handed this authority on down through the ages. That is supported by the bible and all those who came after them. That's where we get the authority.

Albuquerque, NM

#441869 May 17, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
A work does not have to be inspired to be valid, however, it's validity rests on the fact that it is free of doctrinal or moral error, that it does not contradict or change in any way that which *is* inspired (scripture). Canonicity was determined largely by comparing the texts to that which the Church had always taught (the Apostolic faith/Tradition). GoThomas does not qualify in either case.
This is true - decisions by men to decide what beliefs other men are to believe.

You fell for it.

Bummer.

You should've believed Jesus instead.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#441870 May 17, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
I ask again: IT WAS RECORDED BY WHOM?
What evidence do you have that all Gospels were written in the first century and that any are first-hand accounts?
You are in imaginary mode. If I am correct, not even the CC makes the claims you do.
I state again -- all evidence of the resurrection is hearsay, period.
You are welcome to prove me wrong. There are no admissible accounts of what you claim. Once again, that is called hearsay and based on centuries of learning, mankind's best justice systems (in my opinion at least, starting with English Common Law)-- say hearsay is not to be used for the purposes of justice.
Think about it.
Near universal consesus of historians and other professionals alike as to when these books were written:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_the_Bible

For the NT books, scroll about halfway down.

Authorship of the Bible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_th...

For the NT books, scroll about halfway down.

This stuff is not hard to find.

Albuquerque, NM

#441871 May 17, 2013
(3) Jesus says:

(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."

Why do you believe men, even when Jesus said not to?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#441872 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you know "CatholicGuy"?
Maybe you should let him answer and correct his post......but thanks for helping.
I also thought this same thing, that is why I was asking him to clarify.
I never met the guy. But since you seem to love taking pot shots at every new Catholic who posts on the board, I though I'd embarrass you a bit by pointing out the obvious and exposing your brain fart.

Terrace, Canada

#441873 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Funny - still addressing me about my beliefs. They really seem to be nagging at you.
Bummer that you can't accept I have something different than you.
You shouldn't worry about it at all, yet you do.....hmmmmm.
Would you like to be my therapist?
;o)
You are on the forum to "discuss" beliefs, are you NOT???

The term "New Age Spiritual 'leader'" should even be off-putting to you ... if you had any sense of humility whatsoever.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#441875 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
- Because "God" inspires everyone.
- "Thomas" was an Apostle chosen by Jesus, who, in your eyes was "God".
Why don't you accept Thomas as an inspired writer?
<quoted text>
I don't unfortunately.....as I don't know the true author of any of the texts, except that of GoLuke and Acts (both by "Luke" supposedly) and some of the letters by "Paul".
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat with the legitimacy of the NT, huh?
Unless you have proof that those authors did write the books they are attributed to.
I like this - you seem to be focused on this topic, okay. Let's be completely honest with each other.
<quoted text>
Jesus never wrote anything down, so that aspect of your post above has nothing to do with the originating authors of the NT texts.
No - there is no "Apostolic Succession" - this is a ruse. Way to many "popes" either died in office, ousted, or simply were not "righteous". You'll have to prove that each pope had actually passed down 2000 years of papal succession COMPLETELY, in which you cannot. Especially when you have a Pope dying after 30 days. We both know that 2000 years of information cannot be disclosed in 30 days - unless you know of a new way to pass these details from person to person in some large information database transfer to the brain. Do you?
"since it came from Jesus Christ Himself. That's called real faith."
- so did GoThomas
BUT - you had to qualify your whole post and belief into that one word..."faith"....
Faith is not fact - but just a belief you formulated from hearing about the "ruse". That would be Self.
So in essence you actually stated - "that's called real Self".
Now that we've cleared that obstacle, what else you got?
Admitting it's only a faith must be scary to many. I don't understand it.

Albuquerque, NM

#441876 May 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I never was a Catholic. And I didn't leave religion "abruptly." I left it bit by bit as more and more of the dogmas made less and less sense to me.
Do you believe a merciful loving creator would create non-human animals with fangs, claws, sharp teeth, and venom that they must use on each other in order to survive?
Do you believe that a merciful loving creator would segregate humans as being special and worthy of eternal life, and not give the same benefits to all forms of life?
Do you believe that some humans are chosen favorites by a creator while others who are perceived by a creator as evil and wicked deserve punishment?
These are some of the issues that encouraged me to climb out from under the "uncomfortable to my conscience" blanket of religion.
I'll state it once more, but since have not answered my previous inquiry on how long ago you left religion, I'll be just as vague, okay?

No - I don't think "God" has any control over this world, nor do I believe "He" created animals.

Albuquerque, NM

#441877 May 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
When I look at others, I don't want to see them as Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, Atheists, etc.
I want to see them as mortal human beings on a journey of planet earth ... being confused as I am confused ... being joyful as I am joyful. I want them not to suffer, but to feel whole just as they are.
I want what's best for all humans and all non-human forms of life.
I will wait to see if life continues after death of my body, and until then I will try to be as kind to others as my selfish nature allows. I am fully aware I can do no better than my best.
Then maybe you should use 'adoration' instead of 'condemnation'.

Imagine what the results would be if you did.

Albuquerque, NM

#441878 May 17, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
We are supposed to be careful about what prophet we believe. Very careful. The prophets in the Bible have proven themselves to be inspired by God since their prophecies have come true. There have been countless others since then whose prophecies have not come true. The stupidest ones are those that claim they know the day (and hour even) that Jesus will return, then *poof*, nothing.
Anyone can claim that a prophecy was filled, after reading about it and filling it.

Don't be so irrational in your thinking.

Terrace, Canada

#441879 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I'd like proof from you that you are a spiritual being rather than just a mortal being.

As you profess to be a spiritual leader, unless a creator gave you personal messages, you also must have relied on what one or another theologian taught you.

From your perception are all forms of life "spiritual beings," or does that apply just to humans?

For instance ... do mosquitoes have the spirit of the creator within them?

Albuquerque, NM

#441880 May 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont' confuse us with the protestants who pick up a bible and consider themselves an authority.
I am taught and believe that God's Son, Jesus, commissioned the apostles who handed this authority on down through the ages. That is supported by the bible and all those who came after them. That's where we get the authority.
....but yet you still only accept less than six of the original 13 Apostles.

You are still confused and misleading.

If you believe in the Apostles, then do so, not just one or two as you do.

Wake up!!
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#441881 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
....it's not recorded in the earliest bibles - Codex Sinaiticus or Vaticanus.
Are you saying since your Bible is newer, you have a more clear-cut "truth"?
Originally the Codex Sinaiticus contained the whole of both Testaments.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_sinaiticus
And the Codex Vaticanus also contained all the gospelbooks which record Jesus' crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#441882 May 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are ready for heaven, I suggest that the god will allow every riff raff entry ... including me.
Arrogance is yours and you can keep it ... preacher!
Whatever you have, I don't want.
:)
~~~

I AM A BORN AGAIN BELIEVER...ARE YOU?

JESUS SAID..

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Mar_8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Luk_9:26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.
ONLY IF YOU HAVE BELIEVED ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AS YOU LORD AND SAVIOR..

Albuquerque, NM

#441883 May 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I never met the guy. But since you seem to love taking pot shots at every new Catholic who posts on the board, I though I'd embarrass you a bit by pointing out the obvious and exposing your brain fart.
Thanks for the help.

Terrace, Canada

#441884 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I'll state it once more, but since have not answered my previous inquiry on how long ago you left religion, I'll be just as vague, okay?
I posted it many times, but I will post it again. I left religion for the last time at the age of seventy, but the process was gradual after studying most religions and their concepts of supposed truth for many years. I will be seventy four this June, so that is four years ago.

I thought I was going to be seventy-five this year, but my husband corrected me.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#441885 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
This is true - decisions by men to decide what beliefs other men are to believe.
You fell for it.
Bummer.
You should've believed Jesus instead.
Again, you absolve yourself of what you accuse Regina and JS (and me) of.

Typing "self" every third post or so doesn't put you out of the company of people who believe what men wrote of Jesus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 49 min PELE78 64,112
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 106,547
What color will Taylor Swift's baby be? 1 hr Anonymous 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Steve III 45,246
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Classic 3,818
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr crucifiedguy 281,884
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 2 hr gundee123 824
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Lumatrix 973,845
More from around the web