Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#441519 May 16, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
No amount of explaining from me will help you...
Because you don;t know anything. Duh!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#441520 May 16, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in "all of Jesus" which has been shown to us. No way is that all there is to Him.
Name all of what you believe Jesus taught - please list the texts/books you think this would include.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Fallible men can define aspects and traits of an infallible God because we still have a reflection of God's Image in us.
How is that?

What is the image of "God"?

Where did this image of "God" originate? With whom?

Please list your sources.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
And yes, the HS has inspired people to write more details about God. Of course. I gave you a link to a great example of this.
It's not in the canon, so Catholicism doesn't accept it to be a legitimate gospel. You'll have to provide information or sources that agrees with your opinion that it was inspired and useful, whereas the Gospel of Thomas is not.
- my source is from one of teh 13 Apostles, whereas yours is not.
- my source, as your logic holds, is of one of the Apostles, yet it is considered heresy by your team.

Which of the above is more valid and useful than the other? Yours? I don't think so.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#441521 May 16, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a 3rd generation disciple, not "God".
Back to Christianity 101 with you.
:o)
2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

Common sense 101

**why do you have a face with your mouth open?
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#441522 May 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Then you aren't Catholic.
The Catholic faith has been defined - through their Catechism.
If you don't believe this, then you really are ignorant of Catholicism.
What "infinite" teachings does Catholicism have?
How did they come to exist as "infinite", since you think they are not finite? Please porvide the citation or specific statement by "God".
Perhaps the word "inexhaustible" should be used instead of "infinite" when refering to Catholic teachings.
God is infinite.
The Church teaches about God.
Therefore the Church teachings about God are inexhaustible.

John 16:12
I (Jesus) have yet many things to say to you: but you cannot bear them now.

John 16:13
[Jesus said:]But when he(the HS), the Spirit of truth, is come, he will teach you all truth.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#441523 May 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Then stop making claims such as (paraphrased)- that inspiration has stopped with the last of the Apostles.
You do realize this statement suggests that you believe that no other person has the ability to express "God" in written form, just because they are not an Apostle.
You have limited "God" and the HS - because OTHER MEN TOLD YOU THIS.
I said *public* revelation (revelation meant for the public at large, meaning revelation for everyone universally) stopped when last Apostle died.

Private revelation by the HS happens all the time, and yes, people do have the ability to express God in written form, and yes, even if they are not an Apostle.
People express God through art as well.
Do you have a favorite piece of art?
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#441524 May 16, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen His wonderful creation and that's enough for me. Life is so intricate and complicated and ordered that it is far more easier for me to believe this universe has an Author than it is for me to believe all this is sheer coincidence.
Did you know that the dude who first proposed the Big Bang Theory, Georges Lemaitre, was a priest, astronomer and professor of physics at the Catholic University of Louvain?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%...
Interesting, huh?
After Galileo, the Catholic Church found some reality. They are a great benefactor of science today. So yes, interesting.

But even the pro-science Catholic church doesn't talk about the science of God, just faith in God.

You know why of course. Sadly, many don't.

Albuquerque, NM

#441525 May 16, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Read it in the original Hebrew you moron. It wasn't written in English.
Psalm 82 plainly states that we are the Elohim, GODS! The only difference is that we will die. Also plainly stated!
KJV:
Psalm 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods;
and all of you are children of the Most High.

John 10:34-36
New International Version (NIV)

34 Jesus answered them,“Is it not written in your Law,‘I have said you are “gods”’[a]? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said,‘I am God’s Son’?

Jesus specifically states he is not "God", but we are all "sons of God".

Yep - I agree.

Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#441527 May 16, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>have to agree with you here,a Jew becoming a pope,and a married Jew at that.and people don't see it because they are not encouraged to look for true answers on their own,all truths come from the church.How can you believe them when they don't practice what they preach?
If the catholic church had all the true answers then everyone would be catholic. Less than 18% of the world population are baptized catholics and less than half of those don't even practice their faith.

BUSTED!

Albuquerque, NM

#441528 May 16, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
The works of the Early Church Fathers/Saints (for example) aren't canonical.
He would not be considered a heretic for reading them, lol.
The writings he linked to are private revelation and he's perfectly at liberty to read and consider them.
Why do you mislead others?
I never said he couldn't read them. He has every right to believe as he chooses, it still doesn't change the fact that inspiration is "not dead" with others. Nor does it resolve that others can be inspired and write about "God".

But you and Catholicism dismiss many non-canonical INSPIRED documents as heresy.

Twisting my point around to fit whatever means you want it to, will not change what you continually dismiss - "that the non-canonical texts are inspired". Please stop doing so.

Albuquerque, NM

#441529 May 16, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
The works of the Early Church Fathers/Saints (for example) aren't canonical.
He would not be considered a heretic for reading them, lol.
The writings he linked to are private revelation and he's perfectly at liberty to read and consider them.
In other words Regina, you don't get to pick what non-canonical texts are inspired, and neither does Christianity or its heirarchy.

Albuquerque, NM

#441530 May 16, 2013
....unless you want to confine Jesus into just a few books.....in which you have.

You've failed in your belief of Jesus.

Albuquerque, NM

#441532 May 16, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
Common sense 101
**why do you have a face with your mouth open?
"Scripture" = Christianity's choice of texts only

Which instead - "scripture" should be categorized as "anything having to do with Jesus"

You've limited "God".
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#441533 May 16, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
My oldest is mentally handicap and my youngest son has acknowledged he is a lost sinner, repented, and has received Christ by faith and later was baptized. Reads his bible and goes to youth group at church.
On like your parents with you, I had nothing to do with my son's salvation.
So your son just happened upon a bible one day and you said "don't talk to me, figure it out by yourself"?
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#441534 May 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Name all of what you believe Jesus taught - please list the texts/books you think this would include.
<quoted text>
How is that?
What is the image of "God"?
Where did this image of "God" originate? With whom?
Please list your sources.
<quoted text>
It's not in the canon, so Catholicism doesn't accept it to be a legitimate gospel. You'll have to provide information or sources that agrees with your opinion that it was inspired and useful, whereas the Gospel of Thomas is not.
- my source is from one of teh 13 Apostles, whereas yours is not.
- my source, as your logic holds, is of one of the Apostles, yet it is considered heresy by your team.
Which of the above is more valid and useful than the other? Yours? I don't think so.
You know topix has a character limit in the comment box. There is no way I am going to post all that I think Jesus taught. There is neither time nor space. Whatever Jesus is recorded as saying in the Bible is what He taught. He didn't waste words.

As for the Gospel of Thomas, it contradicts the canonized gospels, eventhough in places it contains things said in the canonized gospels, therefore it is suspect.
For instance, in the Gospel of Thomas, it is written:

"Simon Peter said to them,‘Make Mary leave us, for females don’t deserve life.’ Jesus said,‘Look, I will guide her to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of heaven’" (Thomas 114).

Now we know this is baloney.

Albuquerque, NM

#441535 May 16, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the word "inexhaustible" should be used instead of "infinite" when refering to Catholic teachings.
God is infinite.
The Church teaches about God.
Therefore the Church teachings about God are inexhaustible.
John 16:12
I (Jesus) have yet many things to say to you: but you cannot bear them now.
John 16:13
[Jesus said:]But when he(the HS), the Spirit of truth, is come, he will teach you all truth.
...more qualifiers JS?

why do you limit "God"?

Let's say that everything you say is reflective on "God", then why have you aligned with an organization that has limitations on the writings of "God" and the canon.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#441536 May 16, 2013
<quoted text>
I never said he couldn't read them. He has every right to believe as he chooses, it still doesn't change the fact that inspiration is "not dead" with others. Nor does it resolve that others can be inspired and write about "God".
But you and Catholicism dismiss many non-canonical INSPIRED documents as heresy.
Twisting my point around to fit whatever means you want it to, will not change what you continually dismiss - "that the non-canonical texts are inspired". Please stop doing so.
That is not what you said.

You said he would be considered a heretic if he read "non-canonical" works.

I correctly told you that that is not so.

Now you're changing your story.

Albuquerque, NM

#441537 May 16, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I said *public* revelation (revelation meant for the public at large, meaning revelation for everyone universally) stopped when last Apostle died.
Private revelation by the HS happens all the time, and yes, people do have the ability to express God in written form, and yes, even if they are not an Apostle.
Again, then GoThomas, Philip, Mary and Judas all should be included, yet they are not, because - MEN CHOSE TO NOT INCLUDE THEM - which blatantly states they chose what "God" was, when in fact, they have no clue on who "God" is, but thought they defined "Him" within the texts chosen.

I'm not sure on how many different ways I need to express this, but if you have not grasped these facts yet, then you are confused about what is "of God" and what is not.

Why do you believe those men chose the correct texts about "God"?

Albuquerque, NM

#441538 May 16, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW - first you state this....
"I said *public* revelation (revelation meant for the public at large, meaning revelation for everyone universally) stopped when last Apostle died."

...and then in the same breath....

"
Private revelation by the HS happens all the time, and yes, people do have the ability to express God in written form, and yes, even if they are not an Apostle."

Covering all the basics for yourself, huh?

Like I said, you are not a Catholic if you have chosen to believe these things you stated.

Welcome to my world.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#441539 May 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Here is what you said:

Post #441486

"If you accept other teachings, then guess what, you aren't Catholic, but only in your own mind.

In fact, you would be considered a heretic if you utilize non-canonical works.

Just ask Regina and Dan."

This is incorrect. Just admit it and move on.

Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#441540 May 16, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool, thanks, it's going into my favs.
Some of those works are non-canonical. The others are either part of Scripture or Tradition. None have been "hidden by Rome".
LOL....

He sounds like another one who believes in "conspiracy Christianity" (thanks, Clay!).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min BenAdam 831,382
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 7 min RiccardoFire 40,209
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 14 min ChristineM 442,999
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 16 min GodFreeByChoice 5,853
Looking for a female partner who is Hiv+ 19 min Someone 4
Israel End is Near 23 min Someone 96
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 43 min Freebird USA 176,587
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 46 min mike 611,967
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Mike duck it 99,364
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 6 hr Neelakaran 6,452
More from around the web