Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 579,075
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more

Since: Sep 09

Smithers, Canada

#440765 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, again, you're projecting things upon me that I haven't said and demanding I respond to them.
My point with the sky thing was that if someone's wrong, I can let it slide or I can tell them what I think and get a dialogue going.
This IS a discussion board.
Then I will ask the question that seems obvious to me. Do you, or do you not believe that you will be saved, and others will be lost to salvation?

Smithers, Canada

#440766 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Water is wet, June.
Human nature is what it is.
I agree. Whether people are in religion or not, our innate nature is to be selfish.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440767 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
When you stop believing that you are saved and others are evil, I'll stop blaming the book from which you take that nonsense.
If the book didn't exist, you wouldn't take pride in believing such utter nonsense.
Well, then stop blaming the book now.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440768 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The Qur'an?
What about it?

I've not read the Koran in its entirety. Already mentioned that.

"Well-read" doesn't mean one's read everything there is to read.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#440769 May 14, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly a God who created this world has both control over it and access to it.
"God" only created this world in one ancient text.

There is no proof of this.

Just like there is no proof that our world is a "bleed off" from another dimension.

Just like there is no proof that approx 13.4 billion years ago, a special moment occurred and caused the universe.

You speculation is fun to converrse with, but making emphatically "truthful" statements, is a not being honest with yourself or others.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440770 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I will ask the question that seems obvious to me. Do you, or do you not believe that you will be saved, and others will be lost to salvation?
I believe that there is the hope of salvation. It is possible for me and for others.

I am not in position to say who will be among those "saved or unsaved" as it isn't my decision.

Albuquerque, NM

#440771 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered the question twice.
Third time now
Yes, I believe that Muslims and Christians believe in a different holy spirit. I believe this as Islamic sources told me that this is indeed the fact.
Do you have another question or do I have to answer this one 10 times?
How can there be different Holy Spirits, if the Muslim one is the true one and yours is not?

I thought there is only one "God" and one Holy Spirit......hmmmm....I don't think you are being guided by the correct Holy Spirit then, as you have a belief in two different ones.
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#440772 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
If you can't see that theologians were and are trouble-makers ... you don't want to see.
The very books that we were taught were all about love, have created nothing but right-fighting, division ... attitudes of divide and conquer, torture, imprisonment and murder.
Something is very wrong with this picture.
There is nothing holy about those books.
June VanderMark:

Your love of overgeneralizations, is the problem with being logical in your writings.

http://www.bing.com/images/search...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451

Its obvious you want everyone to join you? Or is that being to overgeneralized a question? Haha.

Albuquerque, NM

#440773 May 14, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is a God and someone makes a request to Him, then the possible answers would be yes, no, or not now.
You realize that we can resolve this question with a simple prayer experiment, right?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have kids? Aren't those the 3 choices you have when answering one of their requests?
First off, when I raised kids - I would give them all the answers up front. I wouldn't just give them your choices and make then answer. One cannot make an accurate decision if the information isn't present.

Your analogy is irrelevant.
Clay

United States

#440774 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
....and none doctrinal.
It always astounds me how adept these folk are and dredging the internet for minutiae such as this, but they somehow can't manage to find the online Catechism (which actually IS what the Church teaches).
Maybe not so astounding on second thought. Why find the truth on what the Church teaches when your purpose is to promulgate a lie?
Those pages OldG and Tiger posted yesterday are so 'out there' that if you Google it, nothing but fanatical apocalyptic cult pages come up.
Its out dated pamphlets that Protestants used a 150 yrs ago to spread lies about the Catholic faith in order to sway potential members.

I'm actually shocked a supposed Deacon of Jesus Christ would stoop to this tactic. I mean, could you imagine if the Apostles used deception to spread Christianity?? Once you start lying, you let the devil get involved.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440775 May 14, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
How can there be different Holy Spirits, if the Muslim one is the true one and yours is not?
I thought there is only one "God" and one Holy Spirit......hmmmm....I don't think you are being guided by the correct Holy Spirit then, as you have a belief in two different ones.
Um, I "believe" that the Muslims don't believe in the same holy spirit entity as Christians.

That was the question put to me.

Please don't be pedantic.

Albuquerque, NM

#440776 May 14, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Mark 8:34
And calling the multitude together with his disciples, he said to them: If any man will follow me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Luke 9:23
And he said to all: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
WOW!! You covered all the basis, huh. Maybe not.

Luke and Matt are copies of Mark.

So that leaves us GoMark. Let's review the texts:
http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.... Query&book=34&chapter= 8&lid=en&side=r&ve rse=34&zoomSlider=0

31 And he began to teach them that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders, and the chief priests, and the scribes, and be put to death, and rise after three days.

32 And he uttered this saying plainly. And Peter took him and began to rebuke him.

33 But turning and looking on his disciples he rebuked Peter and said: Get behind me, Satan, for thou thinkest not the things of God, but the things of men.

34 And calling the multitude to him with his disciples, he said to them: Whoever will follow after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross, and follow me.

35 For whoever will save his life shall lose it; but whoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospelís, shall save it.

36 For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and to lose his life?

37 For what would a man give as a ransom for his life?

Deny the human being your Spirit entombs is more of an accurate analogy of these teachings.

"himself" = the body
"Self" = the Spirit
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440777 May 14, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You realize that we can resolve this question with a simple prayer experiment, right?
<quoted text>
First off, when I raised kids - I would give them all the answers up front. I wouldn't just give them your choices and make then answer. One cannot make an accurate decision if the information isn't present.
Your analogy is irrelevant.
You let your kids choose the answer they liked?
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#440778 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be living in relative comfort. My guess is if you and your family were starving to death, you would find it more difficult to say "Thank you God!"
Yes, it probably would be more difficult. I could still find something to be thankful about.

Smithers, Canada

#440779 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that there is the hope of salvation. It is possible for me and for others.
I am not in position to say who will be among those "saved or unsaved" as it isn't my decision.
But the fact is, you believe that some WILL be saved and others will be lost ... and you learned that from the bible.

That is why people fought and still fight over what is in that book. Everybody that takes the words in a very serious manner wants to believe they are saved, and in turn they point at others as being evil-sinners who be certain to be lost to salvation.

Without the book, you right-fighters wouldn't have a "word" to stand on.

And that is why I never put faith in the bible. I would not believe that I would be saved and others would not.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440780 May 14, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Those pages OldG and Tiger posted yesterday are so 'out there' that if you Google it, nothing but fanatical apocalyptic cult pages come up.
Its out dated pamphlets that Protestants used a 150 yrs ago to spread lies about the Catholic faith in order to sway potential members.
I'm actually shocked a supposed Deacon of Jesus Christ would stoop to this tactic. I mean, could you imagine if the Apostles used deception to spread Christianity?? Once you start lying, you let the devil get involved.
Well, devil or not, lying and deliberately promulgating misinformation is a sure sign of one who has no point of view of their own, or one who has one and can't support it.

.....and they accuse Catholics of being "sheep".

Albuquerque, NM

#440781 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Bottom line.
Do you believe that Muslims (without becoming Christians) will be saved?
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's possible.
Which implies that there is more than one path to attain any supposed salvation.

As I have repeatedly stated - the Pope mispoke.

He should apologize to the world for this.

Smithers, Canada

#440782 May 14, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Its obvious you want everyone to join you? Or is that being to overgeneralized a question? Haha.
I want people to stop fighting over who the supposed god loves and who the supposed god rejects.

It's the stuff played in school-yards by little children.

Adults should know better.

Albuquerque, NM

#440783 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if you believe in salvation, does that mean you believe their is a creator that makes the decisions of who is saved and who is not saved?
I'm trying to understand your concepts.
We choose the paths we take. No "God", no religion, no nothing.

Based upon NDE experiences of many people, there isn't a judgment of my life by some "God", but only a question to the one who had died - asked by some being in some similar fashion as below:
- How was your life?
- Did you live as best you could?

As you can see - these are questions, not judgments. Thus, any being of Light that was present, as stated by those having the experience, not once was judgmental. The being actually places the burden of judgment upon OURSELVES!

Will you be able to answer this question TRUTHFULLY?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440784 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
But the fact is, you believe that some WILL be saved and others will be lost ... and you learned that from the bible.
That is why people fought and still fight over what is in that book. Everybody that takes the words in a very serious manner wants to believe they are saved, and in turn they point at others as being evil-sinners who be certain to be lost to salvation.
Without the book, you right-fighters wouldn't have a "word" to stand on.
And that is why I never put faith in the bible. I would not believe that I would be saved and others would not.
Yeah, some will be saved and others will not. I don't decide who that is.

Again, you'll probably have to discuss your "I'm saved, person X, Y and/or Z won't be" for someone actually carrying that argument. I'm not pushing that line.

Assume you think thusly of the Koran, yes? I don't believe it teaches salvation for all who live on Earth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min WasteWater 270,121
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min His Hollines dr S... 609,837
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Christian with Jesus 817,586
Looking for a male friend? 1 hr Ivan 2
Poll Do misspelling and bad grammar bother you? (Dec '07) 1 hr Joe 16
Why Won't The Government Help Against Select Po... (Aug '12) 1 hr Swamp Fox 240
Israel End is Near 1 hr Someone 29
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 97,987
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 hr bad bob 176,207
More from around the web