Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 542,691
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#440454 May 13, 2013
Does this story sound familiar?

It is obvious why a Roman Emperor might take a fancy to it.

"Romulus is born of a vestal virgin, which was a priestess of the hearth god Vesta sworn to celibacy. His mother claims that the divine impregnated her."

http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-christ-lik...

More....

"Romulus is hailed as the son of god. He is “snatched away to heaven” by a whirlwind, and he makes post mortem appearances.

In his work Numa Pompilius, Plutarch records that there was a darkness covering the earth before his death (Just as there was during Jesus’ death according to Mark 15:33).

He also states that Romulus is to be know afterwards as ‘Quirinus’; A god which belonged to the Archiac Triad (a “triple deity” similar to the concept of the Trinity)."
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#440455 May 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
When Alexander the Great born several hundred years before the Jesus story is described as the Son of God, born of a mortal woman, we understand that as a myth.
When Jesus born centuries later is described by christians as the Son of God, born of a mortal woman, christians understand that as a fact.
Why would christianity use the same elements of belief of fictional god/men that came before to create their similar story?
Nothing proprietary about christianity.........all done before.
....something is wrong Anthony.
DEVASTATING!
Dionysus was born of a virgin on December 25 and, as the Holy Child, was placed in a manger. He was a traveling teacher who performed miracles. He “rode in a triumphal procession on an ass.” He was a sacred king killed and eaten in an eucharistic ritual for fecundity and purification. Dionysus rose from the dead on March 25. He was the God of the Vine, and turned water into wine. He was called “King of Kings” and “God of Gods.” He was considered the “Only Begotten Son,” Savior,”“Redeemer,”“Sin Bearer,” Anointed One,” and the “Alpha and Omega.” He was identified with the Ram or Lamb. His sacrificial title of “Dendrites” or “Young Man of the Tree” intimates he was hung on a tree or crucified.

http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-christ-lik...

They are all born of virgins. Daddy-god is a real racal.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#440456 May 13, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
First you will need to define the term "the Church".
And since you haven't yet, you really can determine what or what is not immortal.
As of today, there isn't one person on this planet whom is immortal.
Maybe you are reading more into the poster's statement than required.
The very essence of energy that you derived from in your biological form is "immortal". Every exchange of that essence you ever have in linear time(as you know it) is affected and effected by that exchange(from immortal essence), and becomes integral with the non linear essence of eternity- eternally...and so you were- you are- and you always shall be.
We have been shown that truth all through our known existence(and probably even before). The ancients taught it, and Jesus tried to convey this message to the world in a time when it was all but lost.
He was murdered by the greedy mongers of his day for it...who usurped his position and obfuscated the truth of it, keeping the world in "slavery" and ignorance--exactly where the oppressors want us...supporting their elitism.
You CAN become one with the ALL.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#440457 May 13, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where "exactly" did he ever state that? Show me.
This doctrine/dogma has been in litigation for centuries.

The gent who wrote this book, tries to describe the many changes that occurred in the "Christian" community during the early, formible years:

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Wars-Patriarchs-E...

It appears that brute force was a catalyst in people changing their mind. I'm glad this doesn't go on today.

Albuquerque, NM

#440458 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe the words never came from a god ... why do you preach as though you believe in the existence of a god?
For one, because I can.

Two - I've seen too much evidence to show proof that a spiritual realm exists.

It is a choice of each of us to believe whatever we choose.

Anything else?

Since: Nov 08

usa

#440459 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep on deflecting.
I believe Jesus was and is a myth created by Catholic theologians and that such a man never walked the earth. Have you got it now?
Do you believe it's possible that if the other supposed saviors never came again as the theologians promised ... that maybe Jesus won't come either???
if he did come we'd know it by his looks revalations:1:12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;
1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
1:15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength...if i saw this coming at me, out with the shotgun and turn it into dust...i think dear john lost his mind completely judging by his writings.

Albuquerque, NM

#440460 May 13, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
The very essence of energy that you derived from in your biological form is "immortal". Every exchange of that essence you ever have in linear time(as you know it) is affected and effected by that exchange(from immortal essence), and becomes integral with the non linear essence of eternity- eternally...and so you were- you are- and you always shall be.
We have been shown that truth all through our known existence(and probably even before). The ancients taught it, and Jesus tried to convey this message to the world in a time when it was all but lost.
He was murdered by the greedy mongers of his day for it...who usurped his position and obfuscated the truth of it, keeping the world in "slavery" and ignorance--exactly where the oppressors want us...supporting their elitism.
:o)

I've already signed up!

I'm in - are you?

*runs for the All*

Cath me if you can!

;o)

Since: Sep 09

Houston, Canada

#440461 May 13, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe the same supposed mysterious truth was shown to non-human forms of life?

If not ... what is the purpose for their suffering.

Houston, Canada

#440462 May 13, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>if he did come we'd know it by his looks revalations:1:12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;
1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
1:15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength...if i saw this coming at me, out with the shotgun and turn it into dust...i think dear john lost his mind completely judging by his writings.
I informed you this morning that when people start posting scriptures I tune out.

I don't read such nonsense. Been there ... done that.
When I studied the bible, it neither made me a better person or a worse person ... it just made me more confused.

Houston, Canada

#440463 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
For one, because I can.
It is a choice of each of us to believe whatever we choose.
Anything else?
I'm not satisfied with your response.

If you don't believe a god inspired people of what to write, then why do believe that a god even exists.

I know you do because you can, but that answer is simply a cop-out.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#440464 May 13, 2013
200 AD Immersion of infants who are dying, but considered sinless.(Tertullian V.12)

250 AD North Africa region is first to practice infant baptism and reduced the age of baptism from minors to all newborns. This is opposed by other regions.

257 AD Baptism by sprinkling for adults instead of immersion first used as an exception for those on sick beds, but it caused great dispute.

300 AD Prayers for the dead

320 AD Special dress code of the clergy in worship

325 AD At the general council of Nice,

325 AD It was proposed indeed, probably by the Western bishop Hosius, to forbid entirely the marriage of priests; but the motion met with strong opposition, and was rejected.

325 AD The date for Easter was set.

379 AD Praying to Mary & Saints.(prayers of Ephraim Syrus)

385 AD In the West, the first prohibition of clerical marriage, which laid claim to universal ecclesiastical authority, proceeded in 385 from the Roman church in the form of a decretal letter of the bishop Siricius to Himerius, bishop of Tarragona in Spain.

389 AD Mariolatry begins with Gregory Nazianzen, who mentions in a eulogy, how Justina had besought the virgin Mary to protect her virginity.

400 AD Impossibility of apostasy or once saved always saved,(Augustine XII.9)

416 AD Infant baptism by immersion commanded of all infants (Council Of Mela, Austin was the principal director)

430 AD Exhalation of Virgin Mary: "Mother of God" first applied by the Council of Ephesus

502 AD Special dress code of the Clergy all the time.

500 AD The "Habit" of Nuns (Black gowns with white tunics)

519 AD Lent

526 AD Extreme Unction

593 AD The Doctrine of Purgatory popularized from the Apocrypha by Gregory the Great

600 AD First use of Latin in worship (Gregory I) Beginning of the Orthodox/Roman Catholic church as we know it today in its present organization.

607 AD First Pope: Boniface III is the first person to take the title of "universal Bishop" by decree of Emperor Phocas.

608 AD Pope Boniface IV turns the Pantheon in Rome into a temple of Mary ad martyres: the pagan Olympus into a Christian heaven of gods.

670 AD Instrumental music: first organ by Pope Vitalian

709 AD Kissing of Pope Constantine’s feet

753 AD Baptism by sprinkling for those on sick beds officially accepted.

787 AD Worship of icons and statue approved (2nd council of Nicea)

787 AD Rome (Latin) and Constantinople (Greek) part ways and begin the drift towards complete split, resulting in two denominations emerging in 1054 AD.

965 AD Baptism of bells instituted by Pope John XIII

850 AD Burning of Holy Candles

995 AD Canonization of dead saints, first by Pope John XV

998 AD Good Friday: fish only and the eating-red meat forbidden

1009 AD Holy water

1022 AD Penance

1054 AD Roman Catholic Church breaks away from the Orthodox Church

1054 AD Roman Catholics officially embrace instrumental music, Orthodox reject instrumental music down to the present time.

1079 AD Celibacy enforced for priests, bishops, presbyters (Pope Gregory VII)

1090 AD Rosary beads: invented by Peter the Hermit

1095 AD Instrumental music

1190 AD Sale of Indulgences or "tickets to sin" (punishment of sin removed)

1215 AD Transubstantiation by Pope Innocent III, Fourth Lateran Council

1215 AD Auricular Confession of sins to priests instituted by Pope Innocent III,(Lateran Council)

1215 AD Mass a Sacrifice of Christ

1217 AD Adoration and Elevation of Host: ie. Communion bread (Pope Honorius III)
1230 AD Ringing bells at Mass

1251 AD The Scapular, the brown cloak worn by monks invented by Simon Stock

1268 AD Priestly power of absolution

1311 AD Baptism by sprinkling accepted as the universal standard instead of immersion for all, not just the sick.(Council of Ravenna)

1414 AD Laity no longer offered Lord's cup at communion (Council of Constance)

1439 AD Purgatory a dogma by the Council of Florence (see 593 AD)

Now, remind me of what the term "apostolic" means.

Houston, Canada

#440465 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
What is your evidence?

Houston, Canada

#440466 May 13, 2013
Having been in religion, I know the feeling of emotional highs, such as the idea that a god created a beautiful sunset, or a rainbow, or the freshness of air after a rain.

But those issues can all be explained by science.

Now, let's go to the negative side of nature, and ask, if animals were created by an all-knowing deity, why they were created with fangs, sharp teeth, claws and venom that they must inflict on other animals in order to survive.

It's not so awe-inspiring ... is it???

If you insist on praising a deity for the beauty, then it's only fair to ask pertinent questions about the reasons for suffering and make the same deity responsible FOR the suffering.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#440467 May 13, 2013
Then there were these doctrines added...
1480 AD The Inquisition (of Spain)

1495 AD Papal control of marriage rights

1534 AD Order of Jesuits founded by Loyola

1545 AD Man-made tradition of church made equal to Bible (Council of Trent)

1545 AD Apocryphal books added to Bible (Council of Trent)

1546 AD Justification by human works of merit

1546 AD Mass universally said in Latin (see 600 AD)

1547 AD Confirmation

1560 AD Personal opinions of Pope Pius IV imposed as the official creed

1864 AD Syllabus Errorum [Syllabus of Errors] proclaimed that "Catholic countries" could not tolerate other religions,(no freedom of religion), conscience, separation of church and State condemned, asserted the Pope's temporal authority over all civil rulers (Ratified by Pope Pius IX and Vatican Council) condemned.

1870 AD Infallibility of Pope (Vatican council)

1908 AD All Catholics should be christened into the church

1930 AD Public Schools condemned by Pope Pius XII (see 1864 AD)

1950 AD Sinners prayer, invented by Billy Sunday and made popular by Billy Graham.(Some Catholics now use this)

1950 AD Assumption of the body of the Virgin Mary into heaven shortly after her death.(Pope Pius XII)

1954 AD Immaculate conception of Mary proclaimed by Pope Pius XII

1995 AD The use of girls in the traditional altar boy duties

1996 AD Catholics can believe in Evolution (Pope John Paul II)

and so it goes on....

Houston, Canada

#440468 May 13, 2013
Theologians needed something to write in order to earn their keep.

And write they did ... books and books and books explaining the supposed meanings of scriptures ... as though the people who read the bibles were too dumb to take their own meanings from the words ... which is ultimately what happened anyway.

Houston, Canada

#440469 May 13, 2013
This theologian used the bible to write his own interpretation in close to four hundred "odd" books.

If the bible was straight forward in it's messages, why would a theologian believe he could make the meanings more clear to people, unless he was extremely arrogant?

He must have believed others were too dumb to see what he saw in the bible. There could BE no other reason.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

History of the United States … by Charles A. Beard and Mary R. Beard. The Macmillan Company 1923.

The clergy became a powerful class, dominant through their learning and their fearful denunciations of the faithless. They wrote the books for the people to read—the famous Cotton Mather having three hundred and eighty-three books and pamphlets to his credit.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#440470 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, alcoholism is a affliction, even when defines incorrectly as you have here.
I got that definition out of a new book new on the open market...it is called "English Dictionary!!!!!"

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#440471 May 13, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>they left out the good parts:, Benedict led a highly immoral life, and was accused of various rapes, adulteries, and murders. According to St. Peter Damian, Benedict was “a demon from hell in the disguise of a priest,” and his carousing eventually caused him to be forcefully expelled from Rome.Benedict managed to regain his throne, but then – surprise, surprise!– he was sidetracked by a prospective marriage (to his cousin) and sold the papal chair for a significant amount of money to his godfather, a priest who named himself Pope Gregory VI.
JETHRO:WHY DID THEY LEAVE THIS OUT? IT'S PART OF HIS HISTORY AS POPE?
Yes, as I was growing up, my grandmother would occasionally tell me that Catholicism was a cult... I didn't see it at the time, but the picture is clear now...

Have you seen the Pope's cross he carries? It's bent over at the top which is a Satanic symbol...

ps. I have found other things left out as well...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#440472 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
This doctrine/dogma has been in litigation for centuries.
The gent who wrote this book, tries to describe the many changes that occurred in the "Christian" community during the early, formible years:
http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Wars-Patriarchs-E...
It appears that brute force was a catalyst in people changing their mind. I'm glad this doesn't go on today.
It does...only under different "auspices", and in varying degrees...since civilization has come to understand the atrocity and passed laws against it's actions.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#440473 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you are a polytheist?
If so, you've wasted a great deal of your time with the Bible.
It's commonly used only by monotheists.
And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Clue....the voice from Heaven is God speaking...."my beloved Son" is Jesus....(they are not one....they are two)

And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Clue..."And he" is Jesus praying "O my Father".....(they are not one....they are two)

The Holy Trinity...before and after Christ lived on earth: The Father...the Son...the Holy Spirit...

During His time on earth: The Father....the incarnate Son of God...the Holy Spirit....

There is no other way to express the Holy Trinity....period...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min Insults Are Easier 259,565
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Stilgar Fifrawi 739,542
The Intense Power Behind The New World Order...... 10 min yon 19
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 16 min lisw 173,700
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 27 min Serah 601,107
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 30 min KiMare 227,591
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 43 min andet1987 4,486

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••