Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688852 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#440676 May 14, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think anyone can ever "completely" know or understand their "self" totally and objectively.
I think that one must first look at truth, justice, and fairness. Then compare their past and present life thoughts and actions to that standard(honestly). Try to understand how and why it affected themselves and their environment. That is how one comes to "know" himself/herself. He/she will not like what they find. If they are truly honest, they will do their best to correct those iniquities, and become better persons(for themselves), and in so doing, will be an asset to themselves and the ALL.
Once one has set that course, they will do everything possible to better their understanding to that end.
I can only hope that everyone could see and understand that.
It is not something new. This was taught over 4000 years ago.
I am still a work in progress. There is no graduation or diploma involved.
Well said BT. Worth a 2nd post.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#440677 May 14, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.
Protestantism tends toward nihilism.
-Orestes Brownson
All religion is narcissistic, as in "What's in it for me?"
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440678 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe there is more than one holy spirit?
My guess is, you believe that Muslims are getting messages from the "evil" spirit ... and YOUR source is from the holy spirit.
After all ... only good things are allowed to come your way. Evil is for others ... RIGHT???
You are self-indulged.
The Muslims are also self-indulged, as they believe that you have to become a Muslim to be saved.
Religion is the PITS.
Your tantrum here aside, you asked me directly whether I thought the Koran was inspired by the same Holy Spirit I believe in.

My response was that it appears to not be the same entity.

Projection on your part after having been exposed as having asked an ill-informed question certainly qualifies as "self-indulged", yes?
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#440679 May 14, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmmmm....then I will have to let BT answer.
My apologies to you and BT if my perception is incorrect.
Maybe our perceptions are all incorrect.

That's the problem with human narcissism, from which I believe we all suffer.

:)
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#440680 May 14, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, atheists seem to go with the "there is no god and he's evil" premise.
HUH?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440681 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The new testament was compiled by only men of the Catholic religion, so anything you find in it was approved by none other than Catholics, unless of course other men dabbled with the words after the fact.
......unless, of course, the Gospel of Thomas ISN'T IN the New Testament.

Which it isn't.

On this post and the "Holy Spirit/Koran" one you ran out to me, looks like you should have "dabbled" in some research before running out the posts.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440682 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe our perceptions are all incorrect.
That's the problem with human narcissism, from which I believe we all suffer.
:)
Another problem is redundancy;

"human narcissism".

Only humans express human traits such as narcissism.
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#440683 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your tantrum here aside, you asked me directly whether I thought the Koran was inspired by the same Holy Spirit I believe in.
My response was that it appears to not be the same entity.
Projection on your part after having been exposed as having asked an ill-informed question certainly qualifies as "self-indulged", yes?
You either believe there are two separate holy spirits ... one that guided the authors of the new testament, and another that guided the authors of the Qur'an ... or, you believe an evil spirit guided the men who wrote the Qur'an. OR another option would be that the Qur'an was just written by mortal men ... but your new testament was guided by the one and only holy spirit.

Which is it?

Albuquerque, NM

#440684 May 14, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
When one prays to God, He has 1 of 3 answers: yes, no, or not now. He is not a vending machine. It doesn't work that way.
Also, Jesus taught the Apostles to deny themselves. And Paul said that it wasn't himself that lived but Christ who lived in him.
So "God" has free will too - logically based - I agree. It is very plausible, due to the many times "He" could have helped, but didn't.

--OR-- "He" has no control at all over this world, that would make "Him" not a god in the definition Christianity uses.

--OR-- "He" doesn't have access to this Earthly world, thus no control or help is allowed.

Just a few paradoxes of "God" for you to ponder upon.

BTW - "He has 1 of 3 answers: yes, no, or not now. He is not a vending machine. It doesn't work that way."
- Bullshite - you have no idea of what "God" can or cannot do. Please don't make the claim that you do.

"Jesus taught the Apostles to deny themselves."
- Citation please.

"Paul said that it wasn't himself that lived but Christ who lived in him."
- So. Many people say this, does it make it true? I have Jesus living in me. Is it true? Do you and others rebuke me?
- As you can see - words have meaning, many meanings. To understand all the meanings is one thing, but to only accept one meaning (of the many) as the answer can be a misnomer, if one doesn't have all the information for that one meaning.
- Love is a teardrop falling down a child's face.
- Love is the hug a child receives after they fall off their bike.
- Love is handing your friend a ice cream cone.
- Love is holding hands

I think you get my point.....interpretation is perception and perception is Self.

The symbolism of "Jesus lives within me" is relative to
Jesus being thought of in the mind" and then expressing what Jesus would do through action. Which is still Self.

Move past the words and understand their meanings.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#440685 May 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The new testament was compiled by only men of the Catholic religion, so anything you find in it was approved by none other than Catholics, unless of course other men dabbled with the words after the fact.
~~~

If the NEW TESTAMENT was compiled by the Catholics (as they claim)

WHY DO THEY NOT LIVE BY IT?

WHY DO THEY CASTIGATE,.... We that strive to live by it?

THEY DO A DOUBLE TAKE...THEY REFUSE TO LIVE BY THEIR OWN DECISIONS, THAT THEY MADE IN THE SELECTION OF THE BOOKS...

THEY HAVE ANOTHER BOOK ...(LIKE THE MORMONS HAVE) CALLED THEIR CATECHISM...

THAT ...

THEIR ACTIONS

PROVE IT...TO TAKE PRECEDENCE.... OVER THE WORD OF GOD.

EVIDENTLY IT

IS A MIXTURE OF PAGANISM, PRESUMPTUOUSNESS ASSUMPTIONS, MYTHS, AND FABLES...
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#440686 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
......unless, of course, the Gospel of Thomas ISN'T IN the New Testament.
Which it isn't.
On this post and the "Holy Spirit/Koran" one you ran out to me, looks like you should have "dabbled" in some research before running out the posts.
I didn't pay attention to which gospel you were rambling on about, as all the gospels are meaningless to me.

It's all the same theological jargon, put forth by men with over-active imaginations.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#440687 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It means that scripture doesn't mean what you yourself decide it means.
As such, that blows the protestant precept of private interpretation of scripture out of the water.
I don't interpret the bible , I read what the Prophets wrote being inspire by the Holy Spirit.
They didn't interpret their own thoughts and prophecy them Dan is what it means.
Paul was talking about the Prophets , of God. not us.
God if so desired is more then able to rise up prophets among His people. Prophecy is a gift of the Holy Spirit.
There are many false prophets in this world Dan. Prophecy I comes with great responsibility, you want to make sure what you prophecy is really from God, and not from mans own mind, or from someone else {satan).
Dan, understanding what is written in the bible is not interpreting , or prophecy. Prophecy is telling what God says is going to happen in the future.
When I read the Bible Dan I have a coincidence, that refers me to the O.T. to scripture that has been written about what I am reading in the N.T.
I studied with some wonderful teachers of the Bible, 10 years or more. They didn't prophecy any of what they were teaching they where teaching about what was already prophesied by O.T. Prophets.
and showing me that prophecy coming true in the N.T.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#440688 May 14, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Peter saw the glory of God in Moss, Elijah and Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration, and exclaimed that he would build THREE tabernacles, one for each of them.
God exclaimed,'THIS is My beloved Son in Whom I am well pleased. Hear ye HIM'!
The CC has built tabernacles to multiple 'saints' and 'ladies'(Our Lady of Guadalupe, etc.) Cathedral of St. Thomas, St. Bartholomew, etc.
God even buried Moses secretly so that the people could not establish a 'Tabernacle of Moses'.
God was not shaming Moses and Elijah on the mountain...He was establishing that Jesus alone was His (only) begotten Son...the ONLY ONE Who could redeem mankind.
Hear HIM...
KayMarie
There are no 'tabernacles to multiple 'saints' and 'ladies'' in any Catholic Church.

The only tabernacles in Catholic Churches are reserved for Jesus.

Albuquerque, NM

#440689 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm asking where the poster who mentioned that the Catholic Church "teaches natural immortality" got this idea.
All the parsing you require of me here is the burden of the poster to whom I replied. I didn't mention "natural" nor immortality".
Maybe the poster made the statement based upon your keen eye of Catholicism, and was hoping you would respond with the appropriate correction to the poster's error and hopefully teach the poster soemthing.

But I can see you have decided not to venture down a path of helpfulness, but instead, seem to criticize the poster for making the statement.

My "parsing" was to help assist you in helping the other poster out, but encouraging you to be more clear in your response.

You failed at both.

*sighs*
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440690 May 14, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
...and yet you only accept those texts decided upon by men.
You are contradicting "God".
Shame on you.
NSAL-

Straight up question, because I don't get it. Honestly.

Explain how your reliance on the Gospel of Thomas or any other scripture somehow isn't you doing the same as that of which you accuse marge.

Do you rely upon the canonical Gospels as well as the gnostic gospels?

Albuquerque, NM

#440691 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
....and none doctrinal.
It always astounds me how adept these folk are and dredging the internet for minutiae such as this, but they somehow can't manage to find the online Catechism (which actually IS what the Church teaches).
Maybe not so astounding on second thought. Why find the truth on what the Church teaches when your purpose is to promulgate a lie?
You still haven't defined the so-called "Church" so please stop using the term like you know what it is supposed to mean and how it pertains to your theology.
Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#440692 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I had posited this earlier. Timothy, the wellspring of protestant theology with 2 Tim. 3:16, also indicated as you posted that the Church is the pillar and bulwark of Truth in 1 Tim. 3:15.
Expect something to the effect that Timothy was speaking "metaphorically" or some such in 1 Tim. 3:15. That's the "go-to" response for them when confronted with plain verses that they reject.(see John 6 25-59, John 2:1-12, James 5:16, etc.)
I remember when I was a protestant how painful it was to try to force those verses and others to fit into the protestant religion. We are to believe the Bible is inerrant and Jesus spoke the truth, except *here*,*here*, and *here*. I had a choice: to believe in protestantism or believe that Jesus didn't know what He was talking about.

Albuquerque, NM

#440693 May 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Profitable"?
Yes.
Sufficient? No.
If I'm driving a car, it is profitable for me to have a drivers license. It's not sufficient, as I also need a car and a set of keys.
Jesus wouldn't give you even the slightest nod for your choice of a parable.

*sighs*

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#440694 May 14, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
The OT doesn't claim a man named Jesus was the son of God. The OT is all about the jews. Jews do not believe in sons of God, or the trinity. Was there a man named Jesus 2,000 years ago? According to St Paul he listed upwards of 20 men named Jesus. Will the real Jesus please stand up?
NT claims Jesus was the son of God born a Jew. Practiced his jewish faith all his life, yet jews do not believe in sons of God.
...again a man claiming to be the son of God, practicing a belief that does not believe in sons of God.
Isn't that like a Toronto Maple leaf fan sitting in a Boston Bruins cheering section?(lol)
A man named Jesus practicing his jewish faith in a temple his entire life, then at the very end, dumps his life long belief that didn't believe in him, starts a brand new religion, with no plan of operation, no rules or regulations.
Never did a man named Jesus ever enter a catholic church. Never did a jewish man named Jesus ever pray to God on a sunday.........saturday was his life long sabbath, but others changed that to sunday without him even knowing.
in other words you're saying that history isn't enough evidence for you and that you prefer man's/'scientist's' ridiculous theories that span so many billions of years back that they think slime could somehow turn human.

good for you, may you end up where you belong!:)
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#440695 May 14, 2013
Even as a child I could never understand that if a god was love why the people felt such a need to fight over the meanings of scriptures.

It still makes no sense to me.

Scriptures should be meaningless, unless they teach people how to get along ... and history proves that the scriptures never taught people how to get along.

That's why I have no use for any of the literature that people in individual cults label as holy.

Right-fighting theologians taught followers how to be just like them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
You are of your father.....the devil 8 min Devil isnt Real 2
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 12 min BobbyX 67
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 13 min trifecta1 988,573
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 42 min oneear69 37,185
Putin: Hillary Made Up Russian Collusion 1 hr The Henchman 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Here For Now 619,813
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 hr ChromiuMan 6,551
More from around the web