Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,519
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#440414 May 13, 2013
Worshipping idols, icons and images violates the 2nd commandment.

FACT: Catholics regularly bow down to idols, icons and images of Jesus, Mary and the apostles, kissing the feet of the statues and praying to them.

Historical note: The Pope deleted the 2nd of the 10 commandments so they could use statues & images in worship.

They split the 10th commandment on coveting into two commandments so they could still have 10 in number.

Don’t believe this? Look at the list of 10 commandments published by the Roman Catholic Church! The issue here is not how the Ten Commandments are numbered, rather the issue is that most published lists of the 10 commandments do not include the words, "you shall not make for yourself an idol". Open your Catholic Bible and look for yourself!

Question #1: Does the 2nd commandment approve of bowing down and kissing idols?
"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them." Exodus 20:4-5

Baptism is full immersion in water, not sprinkling.
FACT: The Catholic Church baptizes babies by sprinkling a little water on them.
Historical note: Greek work for baptism literally means immersion. There are separate words in Greek for sprinkling, pouring and immersion. Only the Greek word for immersion is ever used for Baptism in the Bible. The first recorded case of sprinkling was in 257 AD to someone on a sick-bed. It was then an exception to the rule and brought about fierce opposition from the whole church. Not until 757 AD did the church accept sprinkling in such sick-bed cases of necessity. It wasn’t until 1311 AD, when the Catholic council of Ravenna, declared that sprinkling was and acceptable substitute for immersion and from that time forward sprinkling replaced immersion in the Roman Catholic church. The Orthodox church refused sprinkling and still immerses to this day.

Question #1: Was Jesus baptized by full immersion in the Jordan River?
"After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him" Matthew 3:16

Question #2: When Philip baptized the Eunuch, did both of them go into the water?
And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away." Acts 8:38-39

Question #3: Can babies be baptized since they do not first believe?
He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. Mark 16:16
"As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, "Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?" And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." Acts 8:36-37

Question #4: Can babies be baptized since they do not first repent?
"Brethren, what must we do?" Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:37-38
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440415 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Or
C: None of the above
Here we are, in humanity, and the message seems fairly widespread (you're on a message board about the subject with 22,000 pages); so there goes A and B.
1.1 Billion catholics worldwide. About 18% of the entire world population. Subtract the hundreds of millions of catholics who don't attend mandatory sunday mass weekly and you will quickly learn the big difference between baptized practcing catholics and non practicing catholics.

.......one small example.

http://ncronline.org/news/global/germans-leav...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440416 May 13, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL False doctrines.
NONE taught by the Apostles.
Only in "Early Fathers'" writings or by false assumption.
Praying repetitive words using Rosary beads is forbidden.
FACT: Catholics pray repetitive words with Rosary Beads that were first invented in 1090 AD, by "Peter the Hermit" and made popular by St. Dominic in 1208 AD. Catholics believe that Mary appeared to St. Dominic in 1208 AD, at the church of Prouille and revealed the Rosary Beads to him. From this time, Catholics prayed 15 sets of 10 consecutive "hail Marys" in a row (150 times), in the Rosary. However, in 2003 AD, Pope John Paul added a new set of Mysteries, so now it is 20 sets of 10 "Hail Marys",(200 times in the Rosary, in total.) Catholics will vainly appeal to Psalm 136 that alternates the same phrase 26 times with 26 different blessings God gives us. It is not 26 in a row as with the rosary! This is also a song, not a prayer. Revelation 4:8 has "angels singing" not "men praying".
Historical note: Roman Catholics borrowed the idea of praying with beads from the pagan religions who were already using them hundreds of years before: In 456 AD, Hindus are thought to have introduced the concept of praying with beads to the world. The earliest reference to a rosary (boberkhas) is in their "Jain Canon" (456 AD) These boberkhas had various numbers of beads 6,9,12,18,36 (any sub-multiple of 108) Islam (610 AD) uses a rosary of 99 beads, one for each of the names of God. Buddhists have 108 prayer beads on the string. The Rosary is of pagan origin and no Christian prior to 1000 AD used beads to pray.
Please explain to me where the Apostles used pagan rosary beads.
We moved off of "natural immortality" quickly, didn't we?

Can you respond to that? You made specific mention of it.

Thanks

Since: Sep 09

Houston, Canada

#440417 May 13, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I say I was an authority?
Is the Bible only for scholars such as yourself?
I have studied for over 55 years what the scriptures teach.
If I studied piano for that long, I would be Liberace.
People that study scriptures for their whole lives only find their own reflections IN the words.

And your reflection is only meaningful to you.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#440418 May 13, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
THanks for your honesty it is noted.
If man is inept, and men wrote the Bible, that designates that teh Bible is not of "God", thus is inept.
In other words - you agree with my previous statement of "fallible men cannot define an infallible god."
Thanks for clearing that up.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Men wrote the Gospel of Thomas.
A VERY short time ago, you were so certain that it was definitively instructive that you felt confident mentioning it while "correcting" me.
What happened between then and now?
I'm not the one fighting the legitimacy of GoThomas. That would be your team.

FYI - all biblical texts were written by men.

DOH!

It is your team who limits "God" and also think that fallible men can define an infallible god.

Don't push your problems back at me. I'm just trying to help you realize your error.

But as a typical Catholic, you just can't stand it when others are right, huh? So you have to twist and spin in trying to escape the clutch of truth.

It won't work - I already know you are uninformed.

Since: Sep 09

Houston, Canada

#440419 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian belief and practice until the Reformation.
Catholics never agreed on the meanings of scriptures. That's why the reformation took place. Luther and his gang of thugs WERE ex-Catholics.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#440420 May 13, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Something has gone badly wrong then, Dan.
The RCC teaches a miriad of false doctrines which are plainly not biblical.
So many things have been added to the Catholic doctrines it is plain that all of that authority is now gone.
Jesuits and others have mis-interpreted scripture to make them fit pagan ideas.
For one: the RCC teaches natural immortality.
The Bible teaches a resurrection where the just will put on immortality.
PLAINLY a false RCC doctrine. Absolutely NOT what the apostles taught.
You can't know what the "apostles" taught, only what Jesus taught them...most of which is not even included in canon.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#440421 May 13, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL False doctrines.
NONE taught by the Apostles.
Only in "Early Fathers'" writings or by false assumption.
Praying repetitive words using Rosary beads is forbidden.
FACT: Catholics pray repetitive words with Rosary Beads that were first invented in 1090 AD, by "Peter the Hermit" and made popular by St. Dominic in 1208 AD. Catholics believe that Mary appeared to St. Dominic in 1208 AD, at the church of Prouille and revealed the Rosary Beads to him. From this time, Catholics prayed 15 sets of 10 consecutive "hail Marys" in a row (150 times), in the Rosary. However, in 2003 AD, Pope John Paul added a new set of Mysteries, so now it is 20 sets of 10 "Hail Marys",(200 times in the Rosary, in total.) Catholics will vainly appeal to Psalm 136 that alternates the same phrase 26 times with 26 different blessings God gives us. It is not 26 in a row as with the rosary! This is also a song, not a prayer. Revelation 4:8 has "angels singing" not "men praying".
Historical note: Roman Catholics borrowed the idea of praying with beads from the pagan religions who were already using them hundreds of years before: In 456 AD, Hindus are thought to have introduced the concept of praying with beads to the world. The earliest reference to a rosary (boberkhas) is in their "Jain Canon" (456 AD) These boberkhas had various numbers of beads 6,9,12,18,36 (any sub-multiple of 108) Islam (610 AD) uses a rosary of 99 beads, one for each of the names of God. Buddhists have 108 prayer beads on the string. The Rosary is of pagan origin and no Christian prior to 1000 AD used beads to pray.
Please explain to me where the Apostles used pagan rosary beads.
How would you prefer Catholics keep count of their prayers if not by using beads?

Location hidden

#440422 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Men wrote the Gospel of Thomas.
A VERY short time ago, you were so certain that it was definitively instructive that you felt confident mentioning it while "correcting" me.
What happened between then and now?
Who? How does the writing start out it's explanation?
Have you even read it?

I ask, because it doesn't appear that you have.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440423 May 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It took me about 30 seconds to find the citations at the bottom of the wiki page I linked from atheist, secularist, and agnostic historians.
Here's an example of what they say:
"He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees"
"In recent years,'no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary."
"There are those who argue that Jesus is a figment of the Church’s imagination, that there never was a Jesus at all. I have to say that I do not know any respectable critical scholar who says that any more."
"biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of non-existence of Jesus as effectively refuted"
" the theories of non-existence of Jesus are "a thoroughly dead thesis"
"Today nearly all historians, whether Christians or not, accept that Jesus existed".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_J...
Mike, you're a bored, retired, anti-Catholic/Christian amatuer.
I have stated several times. Are you not paying attention. Too busy rolling weiners at one of your two hot dog stands?

...There very well could have been a young man named Jesus who didn't work, who tripped around Jurusulem with a bunch of guys, much like what we call street people today. Similar to BUSKERS who perform little carnival street acts for handouts roaming from town to town.

What I d believe as non christians also state, that he wasn't the SON OF GOD.

A man Jesus, quite possibly. Jesus the son of God. If you say so Anthony.(lol)

Your belief is solely based on what your parents wanted you to become........just like them, much like any Muslim child indoctrinated to worship ALLAH......

Born in the west Jesus is your savior. Born in the east good chance ALLAH is who you love.

Albuquerque, NM

#440424 May 13, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. This book also contradicts Jesus' teachings:
(1)‘If you fast, you will bring forth sin for yourselves.
(2) And if you pray, you will be condemned.
(3) And if you give alms, you will do harm to your spirits.
This is totally contrary to Jesus' teachings.
Perhaps the context of these verses was not included in the writings.
In any case, whoever on here (I forget who) was saying there are no extra biblical references to Jesus needs to check out those links you provided.
If you are to review these teachings, one should also include the whole context and not just a portion of the teaching.

(14) Jesus said to them:

(4) And if you go into any land and wander from place to place,(and) if they take you in,
(then) eat what they will set before you. Heal the sick among them!
(5) For what goes into your mouth will not defile you.
Rather, what comes out of your mouth will defile you."

....meaning if you were to put yourself into the position of Jesus - doing the instructing - contemplate this for a moment:
- What will fasting help with?
+ this is an action - a choice - one makes. But why? because other men told them too?
- How will praying help another? Shoot - not one person on this "religous" forum will even venture to test the theory that it works, and participate in an experiment with me. Do you have proof praying works?
+ Like Jesus implies - maybe one should pray for oneself and be watchful for what one puts forth.

If you understand this, all of the above actions are produced by the Self - whether for someone else or for yourself, but in the end, it is what we "produce" (speak, action, etc) is what defines us.

Self.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#440425 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do YOU know profess to know the mind of any god? Are so brazen as to make such a claim???
God has gradually revealed Himself to us, so, yes, there are certain things I can know about Him. I would certainly not claim to know *everything* about Him.

Location hidden

#440426 May 13, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. This book also contradicts Jesus' teachings:
This is totally contrary to Jesus' teachings.
Perhaps the context of these verses was not included in the writings.
In any case, whoever on here (I forget who) was saying there are no extra biblical references to Jesus needs to check out those links you provided.
It contradicts the later redactions included in the "accepted" canon.
Someone is lying...now you need to find out WHY.

Albuquerque, NM

#440427 May 13, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
"fallible men cannot define an infallible god."
The Koran, Torah, and Bible all make that point.
Yep - and yet - people still think it is possible - because they believe the writings of men and somehow fear that if they don't they go to some place of torment.

Why does religion instill fear instead of love?
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#440428 May 13, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonderful post HB.
Thanks for being honest.
Good feeling, huh - to actually speak what you think - without someone telling you, "heathen", or "heretic"...huh?
Actually, "God" has never stated any religious belief is heresy, only men have, so you CAN believe anyway you choose.
And approaching any religion with an open mind, an understanding, and a comparison of other similar beliefs is always encouraged, just to prove to the world that they are in essence - very similar with the same goal in mind.
I haven't a clue why some individuals think that they are more special than another human. They aren't. But they will go on believing men, that they are.
*sighs*
Keep your mind open, and you too will see the astonishments I have spoken of. It will come.
Thanks for responding!
New Age Spiritual Leader:

Remembering my journey through various religions, and experiencing different cultures brings me from my past to the present. And I can say that being at "one" with God has been the central issue in all that past, so I continue forward.

So that is the cross I carry:

Astonished, wearied, dismayed, happy.

Location hidden

#440429 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics are Christians. They believed Christ's teachings that He was the Son of God.
Where "exactly" did he ever state that? Show me.

Albuquerque, NM

#440430 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Please cite where the Church teaches "natural immortality".
Thanks.
First you will need to define the term "the Church".

And since you haven't yet, you really can determine what or what is not immortal.

As of today, there isn't one person on this planet whom is immortal.

Maybe you are reading more into the poster's statement than required.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#440431 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're really not running out a news flash when you relate that men can abuse positions of power.
Is this revelatory, or do you believe that the situation is limited to the religious?
No I don't, it spreads like a disease, mostly in government.

Wider Problems Found at IRS
Probe Says Tax Agency Used Sweeping Criteria to Scrutinize Conservative Groups

By JOHN D. MCKINNON and SIOBHAN HUGHES
The Internal Revenue Service's scrutiny of conservative groups went beyond those with "tea party" or "patriot" in their names—as the agency admitted Friday—to also include ones worried about government spending, debt or taxes, and even ones that lobbied to "make America a better place to live," according to new details of a government probe.

The investigation into the IRS's targeting of conservative groups has revealed that high-ranking IRS officials knew as early as 2011 of the practice. John McKinnon reports.
The investigation also revealed that a high-ranking IRS official knew as early as mid-2011 that conservative groups were being inappropriately targeted—nearly a year before then-IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman told a congressional committee the agency wasn't targeting conservative groups.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440432 May 13, 2013
When Alexander the Great born several hundred years before the Jesus story is described as the Son of God, born of a mortal woman, we understand that as a myth.

When Jesus born centuries later is described by christians as the Son of God, born of a mortal woman, christians understand that as a fact.

Why would christianity use the same elements of belief of fictional god/men that came before to create their similar story?

Nothing proprietary about christianity.........all done before.

....something is wrong Anthony.

DEVASTATING!

Albuquerque, NM

#440433 May 13, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you to say what the Bible teaches? What sorta credentials made you an authority on sacred scripture?
LOL

You will say this about an anonymous poster in the 21st C., but in truth, this is also the actual case with the writers from 1900+ years ago.

Classic!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min xeno 778,491
Gay snapchat names 30 min ray 176
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 1 hr Just American 4,899
Moses never existed 1 hr Khatru 834
Incest: Horny and looking for good stories :) (Nov '13) 2 hr lokito 11
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Ugly Truth from d... 605,347
Why do BLACK People hate Mexicans so much? (Dec '13) 2 hr Just American 1,030
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr WasteWater 265,472
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 9 hr risque 137
More from around the web