Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 603315 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#440309 May 13, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about?
If you have to ask, then you don't know.

Go research the Nag Hammadi Library.

Thanks for responding.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440310 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it. You will believe that other savior-gods didn't come even the first time around, much less the second time around as promised by other theologians. But you WILL believe that a savior will come the second time around to save you.
Is that because you believe all the other people didn't deserve a savior ... but you are so special that the savior is BOUND to come?
:)
Um, if you're going to reply to yourself, why ask me questions?
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440311 May 13, 2013

Christianity comes from the accumulation of legends and theologies by previous people, and applied them to Jesus. The origin of those ideas wasn't Jesus. The origin was the myths, legends, philosophies, prejudices, superstitions, customs, traditions, and elements of belief belonged to other previous man/gods.

Christianity was a product of its time and place. Good salesmanship by the ones instilling fear into every one.

Albuquerque, NM

#440312 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Amongst other related verses:
John 14:1-4
14 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”
June will be pissed that He didn't say when, but there it is.
I asked for Jesus' words, not "John".

Besides that point, Jesus is speaking in a spiritual manner, not a physical one.

If one is to insert NDE experiences into this "notion", a "being of light" is usually present at the person's death. One could reflect that "this is where Jesus take you with him".

I understand your "hope". Really, I do. It beats the "fears" that have been instilled bythe heirarchy, huh?

But - IMO - you will never see this "coming back" by Jesus - in a physical form or on this Earth. But you will continue to hope for something that he never stated to occur, just because you beleive men.

You've read "John" out of context.

Albuquerque, NM

#440313 May 13, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
June VanDerMark wrote:
So if anything is possible, and all those other savior-gods did come to earth once and never came again to save those who had absolute faith in their coming ... is it possible that Jesus will not come either???
Will you entertain THAT thought as being a possibility?
<quoted text>
For a fourth attempt to answer, and you didn't, all you could come up with is this?
First off, you don't believe what Jesus stated. And he never stated that he would be returning - only OTHER men have.
Please state the passage that specifically has Jesus stating, "when I come again....."
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
OH PLEASE ... don't BE so ignorance.
All Christians are salivating in the hopes that Jesus will come again to save them.
They found it in their bibles ... surely if you search, you can do the same.
If not ... ask them ... NOT me. They claim to know all that stuff is true.
Misreading my post to Dan, will not help show you are intelligent.

BTW - that would "don't be so ignorant" - not ignorance.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440314 May 13, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave you my belief that Christ is not God...and that God is not Christ....that is supported by the Catholic Apostle's Creed...that is what it teaches..it is based on Scripture.
You cannot show me the Holy Trinity that shows God is Christ and Christ is God....they are not the same....God said it...Christ said it....read your Bible....
So, you are a polytheist?

If so, you've wasted a great deal of your time with the Bible.

It's commonly used only by monotheists.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440315 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't search very much ... did you?
:)
Would YOU like me to change the name of Jesus to Harry???
It's the same thing. The Catholics had no "moral" right to take the name Ihcuc from Greek and change it to Jesus ... but they needed a new name as a catch-phrase for their new religion.
The name Ihcuc had already been USED by the Greeks.
Shape-shifting was and is the name of all religious games.
Your link didn't work. My fault, I guess.

Sans citation, I can't really reply to your run-out here.

Cite the Ihcuc thing you source and let me see it.

Nothing wrong with "Harry", BTW. My twin brother's name is Harry.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#440316 May 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure when someone tells you a story about something that might seem bigger than life, you ask for sources of evidence.
Christians don't ask for evidence. They have a belief handed to them by their parents whose parents were handed it by their grandparents back in time.
If by chance you or I were born into a loving Muslim family I am sure we would be on the Islam forum praising ALLAH because that is what we would have been indoctrinated to believe. But because by chance only you were born christian chances are very great you would not find your way to Islam, nor would few Islamic people find their way to catholicism.
Location of where one is born more than NOT determines what God one prays to......
"....you ask for sources of evidence"

is history good enough evidence for you?

if so, here's some for you:

the history of Israel (Old Testament)
the history of Jesus and the beginnings of the Church Age (New Testament)!

feel free to continue in darkness, but you won't be found innocent!

Dan

Omaha, NE

#440317 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
so you really haven't been involved with any other forms of religion, correct? Meaning, practicing them like you do as a Catholic, right?
Reading about them is not like practicing them.
No, I have not practiced any other form of religion.

Reading about them is more than most do.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440318 May 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. Mike has to justify his rejection of Christianity by latching on to fringe web stories written by simpletons. Working for the Canadian Department of Motor Vehicles for 30 years does things to people....
Anthony says......Working for the Canadian Department of Motor Vehicles for 30 years does things to people.

Michael laughs and says.........wrong AGAIN Toni! as usual, but I do know a couple men who do work in the Motor vehicle department in our city. Great job/great benefits just for filling in forms I understand.

....When the sacred rites of Demeter at Eleusis are described as bringing believers happiness in their ETERNAL LIFE, we understand that as a myth..........now where have I heard such a similar story? Eternal life!!. Not unique to christianity.

....When Vespatian's spittle healed a blind man, we understand that as a myth..........now where have I heard such a similar story?......I thought there was only 1 blind man story?

......When Dionysus turned water into wine, we understand that as a myth. When Dionysus believers are filled with atay, the Spirit of God we understand that as a myth......Water into wine??? Have I heard that somewhere before??....another very similar story that christianity taught long after.

Does christianity have any customs/traditions that weren't practiced by others before? Not many.

For thousands of years practiced god/men, goddesses, and centuries later here comes a man and guess what? He too is a god/man but he is the real godman. Wouldn't one believe christianity would not have paralleled what others did before and had their very stories of truth?

Dan

Omaha, NE

#440319 May 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Did a man named Jesus who did good deeds exist in Judea 2,000 years ago? Quite possibly. Was he the son of God? Only christians claim so.
How long did it take you to research these hand picked individuals that are pro-biased Jesus?
I can give you a longer list of contemporary writers from that era, who wrote exclusively about the Jews that speak nothing of a god/man named Jesus.......not your list of modern day thinkers who use their own personal opinion to come up with their theories.
UNBELIEVABLE!
For a flip flop guy like yourself who told us he is leaving this forum because he doesn't like it, then quietly returns, why would anyone trust what you have to say?
Philo wrote about Jews and Judaism.

The Jews of the time rejected the teachings of Jesus.

Philo didn't write about someone whom Judaism rejected.

This is "UNBELIEVABLE"?

Only to you.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440320 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
I asked for Jesus' words, not "John".
Besides that point, Jesus is speaking in a spiritual manner, not a physical one.
If one is to insert NDE experiences into this "notion", a "being of light" is usually present at the person's death. One could reflect that "this is where Jesus take you with him".
I understand your "hope". Really, I do. It beats the "fears" that have been instilled bythe heirarchy, huh?
But - IMO - you will never see this "coming back" by Jesus - in a physical form or on this Earth. But you will continue to hope for something that he never stated to occur, just because you beleive men.
You've read "John" out of context.
The words in John are attributed to Jesus.

Your second line appears to document your having noticed that.

Stand in line with the protestants respective to your opinion of how I understand the passage. Plenty of self-appointed experts in that group.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440321 May 13, 2013
The holy spirit is suppose to be guiding the catholic church. No one else just the catholic church, but for some reason the holy spirit never informed the hirearchy of the thousands of sexual abuses that were going on right under the noses of all those roman catholic officials that claim they get guidance from above.

Somebody slipped up bigtime!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440322 May 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
The holy spirit is suppose to be guiding the catholic church. No one else just the catholic church, but for some reason the holy spirit never informed the hirearchy of the thousands of sexual abuses that were going on right under the noses of all those roman catholic officials that claim they get guidance from above.
"Godwin's Law for Catholics" again, huh?
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#440323 May 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Did a man named Jesus who did good deeds exist in Judea 2,000 years ago? Quite possibly. Was he the son of God? Only christians claim so.
How long did it take you to research these hand picked individuals that are pro-biased Jesus?
I can give you a longer list of contemporary writers from that era, who wrote exclusively about the Jews that speak nothing of a god/man named Jesus.......not your list of modern day thinkers who use their own personal opinion to come up with their theories.
UNBELIEVABLE!
For a flip flop guy like yourself who told us he is leaving this forum because he doesn't like it, then quietly returns, why would anyone trust what you have to say?
There are two possibilities.

A: Jesus is a god, but the trinity was completely inept in getting a clear and unambiguous message out to humanity, or.....

B: Jesus is not a god.

Since the definition of God excludes being inept, I go with "B."
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#440324 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
If you have to ask, then you don't know.
Go research the Nag Hammadi Library.
Thanks for responding.
Thanks, I didn't know about it. Which of these works has Jesus saying that to know thyself is all you need?
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440325 May 13, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"....you ask for sources of evidence"
is history good enough evidence for you?
if so, here's some for you:
the history of Israel (Old Testament)
the history of Jesus and the beginnings of the Church Age (New Testament)!
feel free to continue in darkness, but you won't be found innocent!
The OT doesn't claim a man named Jesus was the son of God. The OT is all about the jews. Jews do not believe in sons of God, or the trinity. Was there a man named Jesus 2,000 years ago? According to St Paul he listed upwards of 20 men named Jesus. Will the real Jesus please stand up?

NT claims Jesus was the son of God born a Jew. Practiced his jewish faith all his life, yet jews do not believe in sons of God.

...again a man claiming to be the son of God, practicing a belief that does not believe in sons of God.

Isn't that like a Toronto Maple leaf fan sitting in a Boston Bruins cheering section?(lol)

A man named Jesus practicing his jewish faith in a temple his entire life, then at the very end, dumps his life long belief that didn't believe in him, starts a brand new religion, with no plan of operation, no rules or regulations.

Never did a man named Jesus ever enter a catholic church. Never did a jewish man named Jesus ever pray to God on a sunday.........saturday was his life long sabbath, but others changed that to sunday without him even knowing.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440326 May 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
I'm coining it:

Reductio ad scandalum.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440327 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The words in John are attributed to Jesus.
Your second line appears to document your having noticed that.
Stand in line with the protestants respective to your opinion of how I understand the passage. Plenty of self-appointed experts in that group.
Can you verify to me that the 4 names associated with the 4 gospels were the actual men who wrote them, or do you just follow the crowd and heresay?

Shouldn't you know this?
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440328 May 13, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
There are two possibilities.
A: Jesus is a god, but the trinity was completely inept in getting a clear and unambiguous message out to humanity, or.....
B: Jesus is not a god.
Since the definition of God excludes being inept, I go with "B."
If the 3 persons in one God are all equal persons in one god, why is it that God the father sends the other to two persons of God on missions, and he makes all the decisions for the other two persons of God?

For those that believe in the trinity, its obvious equality cannot be if they are all equal to each other. One of the persons has to be the final decision maker.

Its all crazyness......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Convert MXF videos to MP4 format for YouTube, i... (Mar '12) 5 min maryannie 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Turkey 879,914
The Christian Atheist debate 23 min HipGnosis 3,921
Firearms: America's 'savior'....America's 'curse' 46 min Doctor REALITY 1
Rajkot gay Topix (Feb '15) 1 hr nirmal 233
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 613,079
hotel booking 1 hr fadl1984 1
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 hr janeebee 8,249
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 9 hr WildWeirdWillie 177,882
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 11 hr Moeflow5555 49