Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 679024 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#440232 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You are quite the side-tracker.
Do you believe that all the other sons of gods that came to earth as saviors were real?
Sorry that I'm actually holding your feet to your previous statement of Jesus having been a "myth". I know it's inconvenient for you.

Name a person who you're thinking fo here and we'll see if the person did in fact exist.

We'll look it up together.

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#440233 May 13, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
There is no purgatory to believe in!!!!
Augustine invented purgatory to reduce the population of hell. More recently, Charles Hodge and B. B. Warfield have also attempted to lower the population of hell by developing a postmillenial eschatology and by allowing for the automatic salvation of babies who die in infancy. The reasoning appears to be that if the total number of those who are going to be tormented is relatively small, there is no reason to be unduly concerned. Such reasoning hardly resolves the problem of the morality of God’s character. Whether God inflicted unending torments on one million or on ten billion sinners, the fact would remain that God tormented people everlastingly.

http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/imm ...

Quesnel, Canada

#440234 May 13, 2013
Joseph Smith taught that he restored the bible to it's original state, and from that rhetoric came the book of Mormon.

People have more stories about how to attain to the level of the gods than from my perspective had the RIGHT to have been imagined.

Yet they keep on building myths on other myths as though it's all in one or another DIVINE plan.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#440235 May 13, 2013
EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT CATHOLIC, THIS IS EYE OPENING

When the Catholic Church was founded, there were no hospitals. Today, one out of five people in this country receive their medical care at a Catholic hospital.

When the Catholic Church was founded, there were no schools. Today, the Catholic Church teaches 3 million students a day, in its more than 250 Catholic Colleges and Universities, in its more than 1200 Catholic High Schools and its more than 5000 Catholic grade schools.

Every day, the Catholic Church feeds, clothes, shelters and educates more people than any other organization in the world.

The new Obama Health Mandate could end all this and the tax payers would have to make up the loss.

Also, all Catholic adoption services would come to an end. A human disaster.

There are more than 77 million Catholics in this country. It takes an estimated 50 million Catholic votes to elect a president. I am asking all of you to go to the polls in 2014 and be united in replacing all Senators and Reps with someone who will respect the Catholic Church, all Christians, and all Religions besides Islam.

Mr. President, you said, "The USA is not a Christian Nation". You are wrong we are a Christian Nation founded on Judeo-Christian values allowing all religions in America to Worship & Practice Freely. Something Islam will never do.

Oh, by he way, on MUSLIM HERITAGE IN America

Have you ever been to a Muslim hospital ?

Have you heard a Muslim orchestra?

Have you seen a Muslim band march in a parade?

Have you witnessed a Muslim charity?

Have you seen Muslims shaking hands with a Muslim Girl Scout?

Have you seen a Muslim Candy Striper?

Have your seen a Muslim do anything that contributes positively to the American way of life?
Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#440236 May 13, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
here's a pope to be proud of:Pope Benedict IX (c. 1012 – 1065/85)Benedict IX, born Theophylactus of Tusculum, is known mainly for two things: 1) he held office on three separate occasions, and 2) he is the only pope who ever sold the papacy (to his own godfather, of all people).Benedict became pontiff at a very young age, thanks to the political prowess of his father, who had managed to get the papacy reserved ahead of time for his son. With little actual training or preparation that qualified him to act as pontiff, Benedict led a highly immoral life, and was accused of various rapes, adulteries, and murders. According to St. Peter Damian, Benedict was “a demon from hell in the disguise of a priest,” and his carousing eventually caused him to be forcefully expelled from Rome.Benedict managed to regain his throne, but then – surprise, surprise!– he was sidetracked by a prospective marriage (to his cousin) and sold the papal chair for a significant amount of money to his godfather, a priest who named himself Pope Gregory VI. His later repentance and attempt to resume his position created quite a controversy, forcing the German King Henry III to intervene. Benedict was subsequently excommunicated from the church.“His life as a pope,” wrote Pope Victor III,“was so vile, so foul, so execrable, that I shudder to think of it.”JETHRO:as i pointed out before if the chair is bought for a future pope how can you have absolute apostolic succession? you can't.what i posted came from the book of world history,then i looked at "Catholic Encyclopedia > B > Pope Benedict IX" you don't find any of this history about him in the catholic book,gee how surprising.
It is there.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02429a.htm

Quesnel, Canada

#440237 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry that I'm actually holding your feet to your previous statement of Jesus having been a "myth". I know it's inconvenient for you.
Name a person who you're thinking fo here and we'll see if the person did in fact exist.
We'll look it up together.
You keep on deflecting.

I believe Jesus was and is a myth created by Catholic theologians and that such a man never walked the earth. Have you got it now?

Do you believe it's possible that if the other supposed saviors never came again as the theologians promised ... that maybe Jesus won't come either???
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440238 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So if anything is possible, and all those other savior-gods did come to earth once and never came again to save those who had absolute faith in their coming ... is it possible that Jesus will not come either???
Will you entertain THAT thought as being a possibility?
If I believe in Jesus and His teachings, I believe that He will come again.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#440239 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are NOT a faithful Christian, so I suggest you stop USING the word Jesus as though the theology of Christianity teaches that all are on an equal level.
Christianity is about the elite being saved and the evil ones being burned by the devil ... or Christian-lite teaches that the nasty ones will simply not know god as will the holy, saved ones.
You can't take the cruel out of Christianity and expect people to follow you unless you are this fellow. But he's a professional con-artist, and has the gift of the gab to boot. Plus he's not so bad looking either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ifEACinhrAYXX
"Then you are NOT a faithful Christian,"
- I'm not a so-called "Christian" at all. Strike one for assuming I am.

"so I suggest you stop USING the word Jesus as though the theology of Christianity teaches that all are on an equal level."
- You really haven't been reading my posts, have you? As you seem to only have captured the half that I dispute.
- Who are you to tell me what to believe. In fact, I would classify my belief in Jesus, as more than what Christianity has decided. In truth, and by your logic, I am more "Christian" than anyone who is a follower of Christianity, just because I do follow all of his teachings.

Also - if one is to believe that they are so-called "Christian", one is required to believe that Jesus "rose in bodily form". I don't believe that is possible, but what the man taught, can be achieved.

"Christianity is about the elite being saved and the evil ones being burned by the devil ... or Christian-lite teaches that the nasty ones will simply not know god as will the holy, saved ones."
- your perception is flawed and incomplete.

Please show the citation that claims both of these traits are the purest forms of Christianity.

Quesnel, Canada

#440240 May 13, 2013
I wonder if this person believes that a dog owned by an Atheist will be allowed in heaven?

:)
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>
Why I believe my dog is in heaven

Read more: http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/6825/why-i-beli...
Follow us:@inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440241 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Augustine invented purgatory to reduce the population of hell. More recently, Charles Hodge and B. B. Warfield have also attempted to lower the population of hell by developing a postmillenial eschatology and by allowing for the automatic salvation of babies who die in infancy. The reasoning appears to be that if the total number of those who are going to be tormented is relatively small, there is no reason to be unduly concerned. Such reasoning hardly resolves the problem of the morality of God’s character. Whether God inflicted unending torments on one million or on ten billion sinners, the fact would remain that God tormented people everlastingly.
http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/imm ...
Hodge and Warfield are protestant (which I had to look up as your link was faulty).

Many protestants don't believe in infant Baptism. This left/leaves a pretty big question on the table as to what happens to the souls of unbaptized infants.

No one wanted to think that a cute little baby wouldn't get to Heaven, so folks like Hodge and Warfield made their automatic salvation up out of whole cloth. Nothing in scripture alludes to it.

It assuaged protestants so they wouldn't feel guilty for withholding their children from baptism until they grew old enough to recite their belief aloud to someone's satisfaction before being adjudged by those people to be worthy of God's grace.

Albuquerque, NM

#440242 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your problem IS, you don't see your own greed. If you see that YOU (along with the rest of us) ARE greedy, you will see that as are all religious beliefs, your religious beliefs are suited to your own greed.
That recognition of my own greed is (in part) what took me out from under my own blanket of religion.
Again - I have no greed.

When you have lived along side me, then you may make a judgment call. At this point, all you are to me is an anonymous poster on the internet who is against the RCC's claim.

NOTE: this forum is not about me, so please stop trying to make it so.

Usually, when people begin this tactic, it means that they don't like what I've stated, and thus, have to rustle up to the bar and think that they can "prove" otherwise.

Your opinions are only that.

If you have a beef about how I believe - start your own forum and express your discourse there.

Right now you are being off-topic.

Quesnel, Canada

#440243 May 13, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
"Then you are NOT a faithful Christian,"
- I'm not a so-called "Christian" at all. Strike one for assuming I am.
"so I suggest you stop USING the word Jesus as though the theology of Christianity teaches that all are on an equal level."
- You really haven't been reading my posts, have you? As you seem to only have captured the half that I dispute.
- Who are you to tell me what to believe. In fact, I would classify my belief in Jesus, as more than what Christianity has decided. In truth, and by your logic, I am more "Christian" than anyone who is a follower of Christianity, just because I do follow all of his teachings.
Also - if one is to believe that they are so-called "Christian", one is required to believe that Jesus "rose in bodily form". I don't believe that is possible, but what the man taught, can be achieved.
"Christianity is about the elite being saved and the evil ones being burned by the devil ... or Christian-lite teaches that the nasty ones will simply not know god as will the holy, saved ones."
- your perception is flawed and incomplete.
Please show the citation that claims both of these traits are the purest forms of Christianity.
If you are not a Christian, why don't you fess up to which religion you adhere?

You keep quoting Jesus, so I presume you at least believe in the idea that Jesus will save if people believe the righteous way.

like it or lump it ... heaven versus hell is the basis of Christianity. You either end up one place or the other.

Albuquerque, NM

#440244 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post doesn't read like meticulous Roman records.
Can I see some of those?
There are Roman records of Jesus' crucifixion?

Citation please.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440245 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep on deflecting.
I believe Jesus was and is a myth created by Catholic theologians and that such a man never walked the earth. Have you got it now?
Do you believe it's possible that if the other supposed saviors never came again as the theologians promised ... that maybe Jesus won't come either???
Jesus was indeed a man, and his is not in doubt by historians.

The belief in Jesus as Son of God is subjective, but not his actual existence on Earth as a human being.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#440246 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
It's safe for me to believe that the old savior gods were not real.
But if I dare touch on the idea that Jesus was and is not real ... the Christians are insulted beyond belief.
Yet they can insult all other religions as false and they see that as a fair game on a level playing field.
Self-indulgence is the name of the religious game ... and it is NOT at all funny.
June VanDerMark:

Try Pascal's Wager(if you have heard of it)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

In a decision making process, such as if God(Jesus) exists, or does not exist, some Christians face such questions in their faith. So your perceptions assume all Christians don't have their faith tested? Not true.

Is eccentric behavior an excuse for not reasoning in some cases?

Albuquerque, NM

#440247 May 13, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
So let us pray to the xian god:
"Dear Jesus, please make yourself known to mankind by curing all cancer tomorrow. We ask and pray exactly as you taught us in the Bible. Amen."
It didn't work last week. Maybe this week.
So-called "Christians" will probably lay claim to these scientists findings - and claim "God did it".

http://thetechjournal.com/science/a-new-prote...

Quesnel, Canada

#440248 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
If I believe in Jesus and His teachings, I believe that He will come again.
You again avoided answering part of my question. I'll try again.

Is it POSSIBLE from your perspective that Jesus will not come again either, as occurred with all the other supposed saviors that were supposed to come again.

Quesnel, Canada

#440249 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was indeed a man, and his is not in doubt by historians.
ONLY Christian historians ... who in turn have no doubt that they will be saved if only they keep the faith.

Albuquerque, NM

#440250 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You are certain that because you believe in a specific religion, YOU are special, and when I disagree, you are intent on proving me wrong.
....which sounds like your last post as you stated to me.

Yes June - I am paying attention.

Self.

Learn it, live it, love it. It's not going away.

Quesnel, Canada

#440251 May 13, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
Try Pascal's Wager(if you have heard of it)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager
In a decision making process, such as if God(Jesus) exists, or does not exist, some Christians face such questions in their faith. So your perceptions assume all Christians don't have their faith tested? Not true.
Is eccentric behavior an excuse for not reasoning in some cases?
Mother Teresa forced herself against her own conscience to keep the faith in Catholic dogmas.

And for that she will made into a Catholic saint.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min RiversideRedneck 2,563
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min RiversideRedneck 119,101
I want my BF to have sex with another girl (Jan '13) 2 hr Freaky2 41
Adult dating minors (Mar '09) 4 hr 17_y-o_older_sister 27
Who's the best fighter: Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee,... (Jan '08) 4 hr hideous 583
Illegal to hoard or store extra food under USA ... (Jun '08) 6 hr UMAKEWORLDPEACEUM... 28
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 hr UMAKEWORLDPEACEUM... 982,141
More from around the web