Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 559,550
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#439680 May 10, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you afraid of your self?
June VanDerMark:

I think when younger, I had little fear of death, then middle aged, I sensed some fear, a little older, now I accept death.

I have always pushed away ego-centricism, not out of fear of self, but rather a sense of order in the universe.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#439681 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would Philo mention a heretic or a crackpot?
At all?
Is this a trap?

According to scriptures only! Jesus was loved by all the jews. Was there a man named Jesus who did good deeds? Quite possibly. Was he the son of God? Only christians say so.

Why would 4 gospel writers mention a heretic or a crackpot? Didn't they claim him to be the son of God?

Dan

Omaha, NE

#439682 May 10, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Roman Catholics pray to Mary, to their saints and here is a prayer, found in the Breviary for the 14th of September, addressed to the cross as if it were living: "O cross, more splendid than the stars, illustrious throughout the World, much beloved by men, more holy than all things, who alone was worthy to bear the treasure of the world, bearing sweet wood, sweet nails, a sweet burden, save this present multitude assembled this day in thy praise."
As for prayers to Mary, in a book published by the Excelsior Publishing House, New York, 1891, and which book is entitled Glories of Mary and which was approved by the Archbishop of New York, on page 84 we read, "Sinners receive pardon only through the intercession of Mary." In the rosary, Catholics call on our Father some fourteen times and upon Mary some fifty-three times. The Bible teaches that "... whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him" (Colossians 3:17).
Nowhere in God's Word are we taught to pray unto anyone other than God, and nowhere in His Word are we taught to pray through anyone other than Christ, who said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" (John 14:6).
You believe intercessory prayer is unbiblical?
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#439683 May 10, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Your original post.....
Just Sayin wrote:
Nobody ever said the Church could do no wrong.
Now you qualify it with.....
<quoted text>
It still doesn't cvhange anything. The Catholic Church did wrong and is in the history books.
The Catholic Church wronged many - at many times.
In fact, it is still going on today with the pedophilia scandal that seems to never go away....
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/237dafd...
New Age Spiritual Leader:

Just a note here. I do not believe there is such a thing as a cradle-Catholic. It is an invented term, and used as a tradition, rather than being catholic(universal) in faith.

There are advantages and disadvantages on being raised in the RCC. Some like you choose to walk away, when the "bigger" world calls. Some keep walking in the teachings, and turn their back on the scandals and history(and may or may not be in denial).
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#439684 May 10, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it Jesus' perogative to come as a Jew and practiced that faith?
I'm not sure that "no one else...ever mention man/god Jesus."
That would be very difficult to prove, yes?
Just sayin says..........Isn't it Jesus' perogative to come as a Jew and practiced that faith.

Jesus a jew claimed to be son of God. Jews do not believe in sons of God. Jews do not believe in a trinity. That means long before Jesus arrived (according to scriptures) jews did not believe in a son of God or Holy Spirit..........and they still don't today.

Its like Jesus watching a football game sitting in the hometown bleachers cheering for the visiting team.

Human Being

Sunset, LA

#439685 May 10, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Roman Catholics pray to Mary, to their saints and here is a prayer, found in the Breviary for the 14th of September, addressed to the cross as if it were living: "O cross, more splendid than the stars, illustrious throughout the World, much beloved by men, more holy than all things, who alone was worthy to bear the treasure of the world, bearing sweet wood, sweet nails, a sweet burden, save this present multitude assembled this day in thy praise."
As for prayers to Mary, in a book published by the Excelsior Publishing House, New York, 1891, and which book is entitled Glories of Mary and which was approved by the Archbishop of New York, on page 84 we read, "Sinners receive pardon only through the intercession of Mary." In the rosary, Catholics call on our Father some fourteen times and upon Mary some fifty-three times. The Bible teaches that "... whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him" (Colossians 3:17).
Nowhere in God's Word are we taught to pray unto anyone other than God, and nowhere in His Word are we taught to pray through anyone other than Christ, who said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" (John 14:6).
OldJG:

Until you carry your cross, lay yourself upon it, nailed permanently in this life to it, you may not see the glory of it, as you become a part of it, and it becomes a part of you, and of Jesus' Cross.

Remember what Paul wrote in Galatians 6:14

"And for me, let it not be -- to glory, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which to me the world hath been crucified, and I to the world"
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439686 May 10, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this a trap?
According to scriptures only! Jesus was loved by all the jews. Was there a man named Jesus who did good deeds? Quite possibly. Was he the son of God? Only christians say so.
Why would 4 gospel writers mention a heretic or a crackpot? Didn't they claim him to be the son of God?
You informed us all the Philo recorded a great deal RE: Judaism.

Judaism at the time rejected Christ. "All the Jews" certainly did NOT love Jesus. Some did. All did not.

How much ink would you assume Philo would spend on Christ?

The gospel writers seem to have believed that Christ was NOT a heretic nor a crackpot, rather, as you agree, they believed He was the Son of God. Ergo, they wrote of Him.

Is it FAC time up in Canada now? That post was unusually diffuse, even by your standards.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#439687 May 10, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Just sayin says..........Isn't it Jesus' perogative to come as a Jew and practiced that faith.
Jesus a jew claimed to be son of God. Jews do not believe in sons of God. Jews do not believe in a trinity. That means long before Jesus arrived (according to scriptures) jews did not believe in a son of God or Holy Spirit..........and they still don't today.
Its like Jesus watching a football game sitting in the hometown bleachers cheering for the visiting team.
Michael:

You need to study the Bible a bit more.

I will spare you the Old Testament quotes, but Jewish belief did accept the Spirit of God, the Word of God, and God as a Father.

Also in the O.T. the oldest text, the Book of Job refers to sons of God, and also the Book of Genesis.

What made the Jewish authorities mad at Jesus time, was that he accepted what the scripture said, and this "sort of" put them out the priesthood "business".
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#439688 May 10, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG

If you are old enough, and been around, don't you remember the hymn, "The Old Rugged Cross"? It is one of my all time favorites.

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/r/religious_...

You must remember the tune?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#439689 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus and the Apostles drank wine at the Last Supper (and other times recorded in Scripture).
Your sect would probably bar them from the ministry due to that.
Your sarcasm changes not the fact:

Catholic priests drink wine every time they say mass...and they say mass often...to the point that many become alcoholics...

Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#439690 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus and the Apostles drank wine at the Last Supper (and other times recorded in Scripture).
Dan Jesus drank unfermented wine. IF THEY DRANK FERMENTED WINE THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN DRUNK ALL THE TIME.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439691 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan Jesus drank unfermented wine. IF THEY DRANK FERMENTED WINE THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN DRUNK ALL THE TIME.
Scripture doesn't support your statement.

Even gotquestions.org thinks I'm right and you're wrong, and that's the "go-to" protestant site for bible questions. You all run them out on this board all the time.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439692 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say they drank it "all the time".

I said they drank it.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439693 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Your sarcasm changes not the fact:
Catholic priests drink wine every time they say mass...and they say mass often...to the point that many become alcoholics...
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
Some priests are alcoholics.

This is a revelation to......anyone?

Some of everyone are alcoholics.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#439694 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Then the LORD spoke to Aaron, saying:‘Do not drink wine or intoxicating drink, you, nor your sons with you, when you go into the tabernacle of meeting, lest you die. It shall be a statute forever throughout your generations, that you may distinguish between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean, and that you may teach the children of Israel all the statutes which the LORD has spoken to them by the hand of Moses”(Leviticus 10:8-11).“It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, nor for princes intoxicating drink; lest they drink and forget the law, and pervert the justice of all the afflicted”(Proverbs 31:4-5).

After citing these Bible passages Jerry Dunn and Bernard Palmer, authors of God is for the Alcoholic, continue:

“Priests were ordered not to drink during their course in the Temple so they could tell the difference between the good and the bad. Kings and princes were not to drink for the same reason. They were to abstain from drinking so they could tell the difference between right and wrong and be fair in their judgment of the people who came before them.

“The book of Revelation states that those who have accepted Christ as Savior are kings and priests:‘[…and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.]*’(Revelation 1: 5-6)

“The apostle Peter also says that we became kings and priests. We are members of a royal family.‘[But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light…]*’(1 Peter 2:9)

“Because of our salvation through faith in Christ we have become sons, the adopted sons of the King. As such we are members of the King’s family, and the orders that went out to the kings and priests apply to us. We are not to drink so that we will have clear judgment and discernment as God’s representatives in this world.

‘As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.’ Jesus told His disciples (John 20:21b). As Christians we are sent to witness, to teach the people. This is the responsibility of the believer.‘[Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,]*’ the Lord Jesus Christ instructed His disciples (Matthew 28:19). In order to teach we must know the difference between right and wrong.

Location hidden

#439695 May 10, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Undeniable truth that is pathetic......but the really sad thing is....Catholics accept this slop....live by it....and, unless a miracle happens to each individual, they will stay on the broad way, that leads to their destruction.......

Location hidden

#439696 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Some priests are alcoholics.
This is a revelation to......anyone?
Some of everyone are alcoholics.
The point being, which you naturally missed, is, if they were drinking the actual blood of Christ, as, they erroneously claim when they say mass, and not wine, they would not become alcoholics!!!!!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439697 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Then the LORD spoke to Aaron, saying:‘Do not drink wine or intoxicating drink, you, nor your sons with you, when you go into the tabernacle of meeting, lest you die. It shall be a statute forever throughout your generations, that you may distinguish between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean, and that you may teach the children of Israel all the statutes which the LORD has spoken to them by the hand of Moses”(Leviticus 10:8-11).“It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, nor for princes intoxicating drink; lest they drink and forget the law, and pervert the justice of all the afflicted”(Proverbs 31:4-5).
After citing these Bible passages Jerry Dunn and Bernard Palmer, authors of God is for the Alcoholic, continue:
“Priests were ordered not to drink during their course in the Temple so they could tell the difference between the good and the bad. Kings and princes were not to drink for the same reason. They were to abstain from drinking so they could tell the difference between right and wrong and be fair in their judgment of the people who came before them.
“The book of Revelation states that those who have accepted Christ as Savior are kings and priests:‘[…and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.]*’(Revelation 1: 5-6)
“The apostle Peter also says that we became kings and priests. We are members of a royal family.‘[But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light…]*’(1 Peter 2:9)
“Because of our salvation through faith in Christ we have become sons, the adopted sons of the King. As such we are members of the King’s family, and the orders that went out to the kings and priests apply to us. We are not to drink so that we will have clear judgment and discernment as God’s representatives in this world.
‘As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.’ Jesus told His disciples (John 20:21b). As Christians we are sent to witness, to teach the people. This is the responsibility of the believer.‘[Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,]*’ the Lord Jesus Christ instructed His disciples (Matthew 28:19). In order to teach we must know the difference between right and wrong.
Riveting, but I believe the subject was Jesus and the operative source for information on Him would be the Bible, rather than Jerry Dunn and Bernard Palmer's estimable efforts respective to God and alcoholics.

You ARE still all about Jesus and the Bible, yes? You seldom fail to remind us of your disposition in this regard.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439698 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Undeniable truth that is pathetic......but the really sad thing is....Catholics accept this slop....live by it....and, unless a miracle happens to each individual, they will stay on the broad way, that leads to their destruction.......
Fear not-we seldom accept "slop" such as on offer from OldJG's post.

He's simply trotting out the "greatest hits" routine until he figures out how to respond to my OSAS questions.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439699 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The point being, which you naturally missed, is, if they were drinking the actual blood of Christ, as, they erroneously claim when they say mass, and not wine, they would not become alcoholics!!!!!
Yeah. Good call. How on earth did I miss your point?

Wine nor any other alcoholic beverage isn't available anywhere but Mass, and the priest has no way to get any booze because they're locked up in the rectory until Mass time and sent back there immediately afterward.

Throw the Vatican an e-mail on that. You're a problem solver, Ox.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moses never existed 3 min Khatru 756
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 min eyeful 175,660
® ELECTROLÜX ( 2O2 8O OI ) ELECTROLUX ® Sariye... 6 min electrofersen 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Pokay 775,458
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 23 min eyeful 605,034
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 25 min Dr_Zorderz 265,160
Electrolux Uskumruköy gümüsdere 2O2 8O OI Servi... 27 min electrofersen 1
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Anti-Christ 441,777
More from around the web