Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 654298 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#439713 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Fear not-we seldom accept "slop" such as on offer from OldJG's post.
He's simply trotting out the "greatest hits" routine until he figures out how to respond to my OSAS questions.
I never said you seldom accept the slop your religion serves you. I said you not only accept it...you live by it....

You cannot refute his words as being the absolute truth.......
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439714 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow Dan you can't connect the dots, the N.T. compliments the O.T.
No were did Jesus changes the laws. He would not go against them He came to fulfill them.
Jesus up held and followed every letter of the law.
He taught them to His disciples. Why can't you understand what the Bible says.
Who has put the wool over your spiritual eyes.
Jesus drank wine. He changed water into wine. That's what the Bible says.

What it DOESN'T say is where Jesus forbade consumption of wine.

If He didn't have a problem with it, I don't.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439715 May 10, 2013
TEN PROOFS THAT JESUS DID NOT MAKE OR DRINK ALCOHOLIC WINE:

THE FIRST REASON IS BECAUSE OF HIS HOLY NATURE. In Heb. 7:26, we read that the Lord Jesus is “holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners.” No doubt, the Saviour, being God in the flesh, had an air of holiness about Himself that could be seen by even the most casual observer. For instance, the profane soldiers, who were sent to arrest Him, gave as their reason for returning without Him, that “never a man spake like this man.”(John 7:46) The words of Jesus were different; He, no doubt, had a very holy appearance, character, and speech.
cont
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439716 May 10, 2013
A SECOND REASON IS THAT HE WOULD NOT CONTRADICT SCRIPTURE. In Mt. 5:17- 18, Christ made this clear, saying,“Think not that I am come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.” Therefore, Christ could not have contradicted Hab. 2:15,“Woe unto him that giveth his neighbor drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!”
cont
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439717 May 10, 2013
THE THIRD REASON IS THAT LEV. 10:9-11 COMMANDS THE PRIEST OF GOD NOT TO DRINK WINE OR STRONG DRINK.“Do not drink wine nor strong drink ... that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean; and that ye may teach the children of Israel all the statues which the Lord hath spoken...” Now, since Heb. 2:17 calls Christ “a merciful and faithful high priest,” we would expect Him to obey all Scriptures pertaining to that office. If He had made or drunk alcoholic wine, He would have disobeyed these verses and would have been disqualified from teaching the children of Israel the statues of the Lord.

THE FOURTH REASON IS FOUND IN A PASSAGE WHICH WE HAVE ALREADY CONSIDERED: PR. 31:4-5 PROHIBITS KINGS AND PRINCES FROM DRINKING ALCOHOLIC WINE OR ANY OTHER STRONG DRINK. IF THEY HAD DONE SO, THEIR JUDGMENT WOULD HAVE BEEN PERVERTED. It was necessary for Christ to obey these verses also, since He was Prince of Peace (Isa. 9:6) and King of Kings (Rev. 19:16). In Mt. 27:11, He admitted to being the King of the Jews. He rode into Jerusalem on a donkey’s colt, to fulfill Zec. 9:9, which prophesied that Israel’s king would enter the city in just that way. Undoubtedly, He was king, and as such, would have had to obey Prov. 31:4-5.

REASON FIVE IS THAT CHRIST DID NOT COME TO MOCK OR DECEIVE PEOPLE, yet Prov. 20:1 says that wine does both. Rather than coming to mock or deceive he came to save!

REASON SIX IS THAT HE DID NOT COME TO SEND PEOPLE TO HELL. We have already seen that Isa. 5:11-14 teaches that Hell had to be enlarged because of the drinking of alcoholic beverage. Christ did not come to send people to Hell; listen to Jn. 3:17:“For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.”
cont
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439718 May 10, 2013
REASON SEVEN IS THAT CHRIST DID NOT COME TO CAST A STUMBLINGBLOCK BEFORE ANYONE; yet, Rom. 14:21 teaches that a person who gives another alcoholic wine does just that.“It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.”
we can be absolutely sure that Christ did not come to cause others to stumble!

THE EIGHTH REASON IS THAT THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT THAT WINE OF JOHN 2 BE ALCOHOLIC. Many insist that it was alcoholic, on the basis of John 2:10, which says,“Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse; but thou hast kept the good wine until now.” They would say that, in those days, it was common to serve the best alcoholic wine at first, saving the worst until later, when men’s tastes have been dulled by much drinking. But the point is just the opposite here! These people could definitely recognize that the wine which Jesus made was much better than what they had been served at first. This could not have been possible if they were already well on their way to becoming intoxicated! The fact is, neither the wine which they had at first, nor that which Christ made, was alcoholic.

cont
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439719 May 10, 2013
REASON NINE IS THAT THE LORD JESUS CHRIST WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN GLORY FROM MAKING DRUNK PEOPLE DRUNKER. Verse 11 is most important when it states that, by this miracle, Jesus “manifested forth his glory.” Verse 10 indicates that the people had drunk quite a bit of whatever kind of wine they were drinking. If it had been alcoholic, they would have been intoxicated, or nearly so. Had Christ made alcoholic wine, He would have made drunk people drunker, or almost-drunk people completely drunk! Such a deed would certainly not have manifested any glory to Him!

THE TENTH REASON IS THAT MAKING DRUNK PEOPLE DRUNKER WOULD NOT HAVE CAUSED HIS DISCIPLES TO BELIEVE MORE STRONGLY ON HIM, yet verse 11 says that, as a result of what He did in turning the water into wine,“his disciples believed on him.” Jn. 1:41 shows that they had already believed on Him as Messiah; this was a deepening of their faith and a proof that they had not been wrong. Would making drunk people drunker inspire such faith? The opposite would be likely! They were not looking for a Messiah who would pass out free booze! Thus, because of the description of this miracle and its result, we cannot conclude otherwise than that this wine was non-alcoholic.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439720 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
this is from whom you claim to be the first Pope Dan from the Bible
(1 Peter 2:9)
“Because of our salvation through faith in Christ we have become sons, the adopted sons of the King. As such we are members of the King’s family, and the orders that went out to the kings and priests apply to us. We are not to drink so that we will have clear judgment and discernment as God’s representatives in this world.
‘As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.’ Jesus told His disciples (John 20:21b). As Christians we are sent to witness, to teach the people. This is the responsibility of the believer.‘[Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,]*’ the Lord Jesus Christ instructed His disciples (Matthew 28:19). In order to teach we must know the difference between right and wrong.
NOW St. Peter's a big wheel?

Every time we mention him and his primacy in the Early Church, you tell us he's not big deal.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439721 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said you seldom accept the slop your religion serves you. I said you not only accept it...you live by it....
You cannot refute his words as being the absolute truth.......
Sure I can.

We don't worship Mary.

Presto. Refuted.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439722 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
REASON NINE IS THAT THE LORD JESUS CHRIST WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN GLORY FROM MAKING DRUNK PEOPLE DRUNKER. Verse 11 is most important when it states that, by this miracle, Jesus “manifested forth his glory.” Verse 10 indicates that the people had drunk quite a bit of whatever kind of wine they were drinking. If it had been alcoholic, they would have been intoxicated, or nearly so. Had Christ made alcoholic wine, He would have made drunk people drunker, or almost-drunk people completely drunk! Such a deed would certainly not have manifested any glory to Him!
THE TENTH REASON IS THAT MAKING DRUNK PEOPLE DRUNKER WOULD NOT HAVE CAUSED HIS DISCIPLES TO BELIEVE MORE STRONGLY ON HIM, yet verse 11 says that, as a result of what He did in turning the water into wine,“his disciples believed on him.” Jn. 1:41 shows that they had already believed on Him as Messiah; this was a deepening of their faith and a proof that they had not been wrong. Would making drunk people drunker inspire such faith? The opposite would be likely! They were not looking for a Messiah who would pass out free booze! Thus, because of the description of this miracle and its result, we cannot conclude otherwise than that this wine was non-alcoholic.
All contradicted by the fact that Christ did partake of wine and He changed the water into wine at Cana.

I'm not sure what imbecile is responsible for this paste-o-rama, since you didn't cite it, but we don't "believe more strongly ON Him" or anyone or anything. You believe IN them or that, not "ON" them or that.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#439723 May 10, 2013
699
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Good call. How on earth did I miss your point?
Wine nor any other alcoholic beverage isn't available anywhere but Mass, and the priest has no way to get any booze because they're locked up in the rectory until Mass time and sent back there immediately afterward.
Throw the Vatican an e-mail on that. You're a problem solver, Ox.
This really comes to me as a surprise. I have always been taught priests do not partake in other alcoholic beverages other than the wine at mass!!!! And I have never seen one do so...ever..

The additional alcoholic beverages adds "fuel to the fire". An alcoholic is a drunkard...

How do you feel when God calls you to be a priest or Brother?

There are many different ways God calls one to be a priest or Brother. Often it is in the secret recesses of your heart that you hear the Lord call you to Himself through the priesthood or brotherhood. This is why we must cultivate silence in our lives, so that we might hear the Divine Savior speak our name.

There is something wrong with this picture. Appreciate your help...

A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???

B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?

C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????

D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".

Which is it??
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439724 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
699
<quoted text>
This really comes to me as a surprise. I have always been taught priests do not partake in other alcoholic beverages other than the wine at mass!!!! And I have never seen one do so...ever..
The additional alcoholic beverages adds "fuel to the fire". An alcoholic is a drunkard...
How do you feel when God calls you to be a priest or Brother?
There are many different ways God calls one to be a priest or Brother. Often it is in the secret recesses of your heart that you hear the Lord call you to Himself through the priesthood or brotherhood. This is why we must cultivate silence in our lives, so that we might hear the Divine Savior speak our name.
There is something wrong with this picture. Appreciate your help...
A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???
B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?
C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????
D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".
Which is it??
God calls men to the priesthood. True.

Substitute "elder", "minister", "preacher" for the priest here. No man is perfect, so I don't know why the feigned surprise here.

This is your "thoughtful question"?

Dan

Omaha, NE

#439725 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
699
<quoted text>
This really comes to me as a surprise. I have always been taught priests do not partake in other alcoholic beverages other than the wine at mass!!!! And I have never seen one do so...ever..
The additional alcoholic beverages adds "fuel to the fire". An alcoholic is a drunkard...
How do you feel when God calls you to be a priest or Brother?
There are many different ways God calls one to be a priest or Brother. Often it is in the secret recesses of your heart that you hear the Lord call you to Himself through the priesthood or brotherhood. This is why we must cultivate silence in our lives, so that we might hear the Divine Savior speak our name.
There is something wrong with this picture. Appreciate your help...
A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???
B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?
C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????
D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".
Which is it??
Who taught you that priests don't drink?
Same place you got all your other "information" on Catholic belief and practice, sounds like.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439726 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
699
<quoted text>
This really comes to me as a surprise. I have always been taught priests do not partake in other alcoholic beverages other than the wine at mass!!!! And I have never seen one do so...ever..
The additional alcoholic beverages adds "fuel to the fire". An alcoholic is a drunkard...
How do you feel when God calls you to be a priest or Brother?
There are many different ways God calls one to be a priest or Brother. Often it is in the secret recesses of your heart that you hear the Lord call you to Himself through the priesthood or brotherhood. This is why we must cultivate silence in our lives, so that we might hear the Divine Savior speak our name.
There is something wrong with this picture. Appreciate your help...
A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???
B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?
C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????
D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".
Which is it??
A, if you need one picked.

God did call him to the priesthood, and He knew that he would suffer with human afflictions.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#439727 May 10, 2013
721
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I can.
We don't worship Mary.
Presto. Refuted.
As for prayers to Mary, in a book published by the Excelsior Publishing House, New York, 1891, and which book is entitled Glories of Mary and which was approved by the Archbishop of New York, on page 84 we read, "Sinners receive pardon only through the intercession of Mary." In the rosary, Catholics call on our Father some fourteen times and upon Mary some fifty-three times.

I believe the Archbishop....which makes you a teller of falsehoods!!!!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#439728 May 10, 2013
724
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
God calls men to the priesthood. True.
Substitute "elder", "minister", "preacher" for the priest here. No man is perfect, so I don't know why the feigned surprise here.
This is your "thoughtful question"?
I don't recall asking if God calls men to the priesthood...

I do recall asking:

A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???
B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?
C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????
D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".

Which is it??

Why don't you answer my question?????

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#439729 May 10, 2013
725
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who taught you that priests don't drink?
Same place you got all your other "information" on Catholic belief and practice, sounds like.
The priest that taught me the Catechism...whom else????
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439730 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
721
<quoted text>
As for prayers to Mary, in a book published by the Excelsior Publishing House, New York, 1891, and which book is entitled Glories of Mary and which was approved by the Archbishop of New York, on page 84 we read, "Sinners receive pardon only through the intercession of Mary." In the rosary, Catholics call on our Father some fourteen times and upon Mary some fifty-three times.
I believe the Archbishop....which makes you a teller of falsehoods!!!!
I like cherrypicked "one-liners" off anonymous Catholic-bashing websites as much as the next guy, but when I want to learn something, I go to the source.

Here's a link to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It's what they teach-top to bottom.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX....

Find me where they teach that Mary is to be accorded divine worship, or conversely, where anyone BUT God is to be accorded divine worship.

Report back.

We'll leave the light on.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439731 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
NOW St. Peter's a big wheel?
Every time we mention him and his primacy in the Early Church, you tell us he's not big deal.
Dan come on I never said no such thing, I thought you were more intelligent to pull something like that.
I posted scripture to prove to you that Jesus would not have drank ferment wine or give it to other people.

you can't except what is truth because it goes against what your catholic church teaches.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439732 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
721
<quoted text>
As for prayers to Mary, in a book published by the Excelsior Publishing House, New York, 1891, and which book is entitled Glories of Mary and which was approved by the Archbishop of New York, on page 84 we read, "Sinners receive pardon only through the intercession of Mary." In the rosary, Catholics call on our Father some fourteen times and upon Mary some fifty-three times.
I believe the Archbishop....which makes you a teller of falsehoods!!!!
I'm Catholic.

If I DID worship Mary, what reason would I have to tell you otherwise? I certainly tell you about all my other beliefs.

To avoid your disapproval of the belief? You already disapprove of my beliefs.

Think-if just for one second, think.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min here 64,361
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min who 281,939
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr X Pendable 183,202
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Neville Thompson 45,260
Sex with Mom (May '12) 1 hr Jessika1995 27
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Truth Teller 106,581
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 2 hr Classic 3,831
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr pusherman_ 973,914
first gay experience? (Sep '14) 13 hr andy 46
More from around the web