Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 21,179)

Showing posts 423,561 - 423,580 of529,840
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why they have Summer festivals, to sell alcohol and have gambling. So people with drinking and gambling problems will come and spend money...sweet!! praise God!!
Everyone who drinks and gambles is a problem drinker or gambler?

Yes, Catholic parishes raise money at fish frys during Lent, where they serve fried food and beer, and sell raffle tickets. I get served at mine by the priest, with whom I go outside for a smoke and a beer during his break.

They raise money with Bingo, and at the aforementioned parish festivals.

The use the money to run their excellent schools, athletic programs for area youth and a multitude of charitable enterprises.

Not as exciting as the non-Catholics in my town, who use their money to rent out the arena and print up yard signs for the annual Easter service and pay music ministers, parking ministers, run TV ads, send people to China on mission trips and the like. It's always more fun to pour the money back into your own coffers, I'll agree.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Without Judaism having first existed, there would be NO Catholic or Protestant churches and no Muslim mosques.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Columbus was another arrogant buffoon who was certain he was chosen for a mission by GOD!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

A History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.

“God had shown his hand.” Columbus considered his voyage as “an evident miracle.” For it was not just a matter of the discovery of the “Indies,” but of a transfigured world.“It is I whom God had chosen for his messenger, showing me on which side were to be found the new heaven and new earth of which the Lord had spoken through the mouth of Saint John in his Apocalypse, and of which Isaiah had made previous mention.” According to Columbus’s calculations, the end of the world was due to occur in 155 years.
Clay

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why they have Summer festivals, to sell alcohol and have gambling. So people with drinking and gambling problems will come and spend money...sweet!! praise God!!
What's that got to do with Catholicism? Who cares what beef you've got with the local parish and their fundraising efforts.
You can't refute the Catholic Church's teachings, so you trash the Catholics who play bingo and have a couple beers??
real nice buddy.
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone who drinks and gambles is a problem drinker or gambler?
Yes, Catholic parishes raise money at fish frys during Lent, where they serve fried food and beer, and sell raffle tickets. I get served at mine by the priest, with whom I go outside for a smoke and a beer during his break.
No I said people who do have drinking and gambling problems can go to the catholic festivals. Catholics will take their money.

The Bible says the the christian's body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Why do you fill it with cigarettes and booze?

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

A History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.

Let us add that, following their conversion, even where it was superficial, the numerous ethnic religious traditions, as well as the local mythologies, were homologized: that is, they were integrated into the same “sacred history” and expressed in the same language, as that of the Christian faith and mythology. Thus, for example, the memory of storm gods has survived in the legends of Saint Elijah; a great number of heroic dragon slayers have been assimilated by Saint George; certain myths and cults relating to goddesses have been integrated into the religious lore of the Virgin Mary. In sum, the innumerable forms and variants of the pagan heritage have been articulated in the same outwardly Christianized mythico-ritual corpus.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
No I said people who do have drinking and gambling problems can go to the catholic festivals. Catholics will take their money.
The Bible says the the christian's body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Why do you fill it with cigarettes and booze?
People with drinking and gambling problems put money in the plate at your place. Not sure what you'd prescribe here.

If Jesus made water into wine to keep a wedding reception going and serve wine at His going away dinner, then it's OK for me to have a drink.

As for my smoking, it makes me look cool, of course.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Catholics don't like to be reminded that without the Pagan dogmas that morphed into Catholicism, that Catholicism would be non-existent.

Protestants also don't like to be reminded that without Catholicism and all the other dogmas from other religions that came before ... Protestantism would also be non-existent.

The same goes for the Muslims.

Religion is all about magic fantasies that morph and pass down from one culture to the next ... many devout believers being certain that their myths are the ones based on the one and only truth.
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
We have events at our church as well. I guess I'd have to say the difference is we don't charge for anything. Food, games, etc..and we don't serve booze or have gambling. We don't want to be a stumbling block for those who may have a drinking or ganbling problem.
Clay

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
If that's the case, does your community of believers out law Big-Macs?
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
What's that got to do with Catholicism? Who cares what beef you've got with the local parish and their fundraising efforts.
You can't refute the Catholic Church's teachings, so you trash the Catholics who play bingo and have a couple beers??
real nice buddy.
Some people just can't stand it that someone's having more fun than they are.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Holy Spirit can take some alcohol and nicotine, chuck.
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
real nice buddy.
Thanks Clay...appreciate it.
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Holy Spirit can take some alcohol and nicotine, chuck.
Oh is that it.
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
If that's the case, does your community of believers out law Big-Macs?
Clay...you don't have to get defensive just because your church acts as the local pub a couple days out of the Summer.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
We have events at our church as well. I guess I'd have to say the difference is we don't charge for anything. Food, games, etc..and we don't serve booze or have gambling. We don't want to be a stumbling block for those who may have a drinking or ganbling problem.
Certainly sounds as though you're proffering dangerous ground for overeaters or those with ADD (the games).

Assume that your sect believes drinking is a sin, yes?

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Gerald Gardner ... the father of modern Paganism mislead the followers over and over as he portrayed a goddess of love out of one side of his mouth while stating that the same goddess cursed homosexuals.

He also indicated that the early Pagans were holy, but the study of the ancient Pagan religions indicates that they burned humans and non-human animals in the flames to supposedly appease the divine entities. History also indicates that the Christians learned to burn offenders at the stake FROM the early Pagans.

Gerald also lead others astray by claiming that the supposed witches that were burned at the stake in the Middle Ages were Pagans ... when history bespeaks of Christians burning OTHER Christians as heretics and witches ... such as occurred with the most famous of all burnings ... Joan of Arc.

If you study the words of theologians from outside of the cults, you will see the many, many lies.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay...you don't have to get defensive just because your church acts as the local pub a couple days out of the Summer.
The local pub is what, to you?

A den of iniquity or some such?
Clay

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people just can't stand it that someone's having more fun than they are.
Man I tell ya..

At my old parish, some of the best memories were the Lenten fish fry and Fall Festivals. There was great joy and fellowship amongst the congregation. They served beer and I'm sure there were some members that shouldn't have any. But we didn't hide the beverage from them anymore than the doughnuts from the diabetic overweight lady.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh is that it.
If He dwells in me, He tolerates anything my physical body takes in or suffers, yes?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 423,561 - 423,580 of529,840
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

616 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 9 min Krackerjacks 114,587
Anyone Up for Skype Sex? 11 min hunnyq 4
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 13 min gort 716,285
Do you enjoy seeing your sister nude / naked? (Sep '13) 13 min pikachu444 316
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 21 min Anon 223,129
Cleveland, the basketball King is home!!! 25 min Anon 5
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 31 min miracle 4,074
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 38 min Lyndi 171,423
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Charlie Sheen 255,643
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 2 hr Rob 109
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••