Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 579,067
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439385 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
No I said people who do have drinking and gambling problems can go to the catholic festivals. Catholics will take their money.
The Bible says the the christian's body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Why do you fill it with cigarettes and booze?
The Holy Spirit can take some alcohol and nicotine, chuck.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439386 May 10, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
What's that got to do with Catholicism? Who cares what beef you've got with the local parish and their fundraising efforts.
You can't refute the Catholic Church's teachings, so you trash the Catholics who play bingo and have a couple beers??
real nice buddy.
Thanks Clay...appreciate it.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439387 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Holy Spirit can take some alcohol and nicotine, chuck.
Oh is that it.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439388 May 10, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
If that's the case, does your community of believers out law Big-Macs?
Clay...you don't have to get defensive just because your church acts as the local pub a couple days out of the Summer.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439389 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
We have events at our church as well. I guess I'd have to say the difference is we don't charge for anything. Food, games, etc..and we don't serve booze or have gambling. We don't want to be a stumbling block for those who may have a drinking or ganbling problem.
Certainly sounds as though you're proffering dangerous ground for overeaters or those with ADD (the games).

Assume that your sect believes drinking is a sin, yes?

Since: Sep 09

Canada

#439390 May 10, 2013
Gerald Gardner ... the father of modern Paganism mislead the followers over and over as he portrayed a goddess of love out of one side of his mouth while stating that the same goddess cursed homosexuals.

He also indicated that the early Pagans were holy, but the study of the ancient Pagan religions indicates that they burned humans and non-human animals in the flames to supposedly appease the divine entities. History also indicates that the Christians learned to burn offenders at the stake FROM the early Pagans.

Gerald also lead others astray by claiming that the supposed witches that were burned at the stake in the Middle Ages were Pagans ... when history bespeaks of Christians burning OTHER Christians as heretics and witches ... such as occurred with the most famous of all burnings ... Joan of Arc.

If you study the words of theologians from outside of the cults, you will see the many, many lies.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439391 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay...you don't have to get defensive just because your church acts as the local pub a couple days out of the Summer.
The local pub is what, to you?

A den of iniquity or some such?
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#439392 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people just can't stand it that someone's having more fun than they are.
Man I tell ya..

At my old parish, some of the best memories were the Lenten fish fry and Fall Festivals. There was great joy and fellowship amongst the congregation. They served beer and I'm sure there were some members that shouldn't have any. But we didn't hide the beverage from them anymore than the doughnuts from the diabetic overweight lady.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439393 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh is that it.
If He dwells in me, He tolerates anything my physical body takes in or suffers, yes?
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439394 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
People with drinking and gambling problems put money in the plate at your place.
No doubt but that can't get hammered at my place.

Habakkuk 2:15 “Woe to him who makes his neighbors drink— you pour out your wrath and make them drunk, in order to gaze at their nakedness!

**I wonder if the catholic church realized they put this verse in the Bible when they were making copies for all of us. I'm sure there is no one who ever gets drunk at catholic festivals..you think?
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#439395 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
This doesn't make sense, JG. Outside of having made up the word "predestinated", Rogers' commentary here leaves some questions.
If you cannot separate yourself from Gods' love, then you are stating that sin (and by extension Hell) does not exist?
If one thinks themselves "Saved" while here on Earth, and is "perfect forever", is this person somehow more than human while here on Earth? Does this person rise above their human nature and become impervious to sin? If so, please identify such a person now living who is impervious to sin and incapable of the commission of sin.
RE: Christ interceding for us:
Christ is God; is He not the "end point" for the prayers? He intercedes to Himself? If this IS possible, how do you reconcile your (presumed here) belief that intercessory prayer (to Mary, the Saints, et. al.) is wrong/ineffectual/unbiblical/w hatever?
You said, quote, "This doesn't make sense, JG. Outside of having made up the word "predestinated", Rogers' commentary here leaves some questions." End quote.

Actually it is OldJG. And yes it makes perfect sense to believers but to those perishing it will make no sense.

You said, quote, "If you cannot separate yourself from Gods' love, then you are stating that sin (and by extension Hell) does not exist?" End quote.

Who is "you" in your statement? Certainly not a born again believer. A born again believer CANNOT separate themselves from God's love which is life eternal with Him. Why would they want to?

Sin (and by extension hell)? Sin is the highway by which unbelievers travel to hell but is not hell itself. Hell is a place and sin is an action. Do you see the difference?

The difference between an unbeliever and a believer is the sins of the believer are covered by the blood of Jesus and are forgiven and forgotten. When God looks at a born again believer He sees His Son, Jesus Christ. When God looks at an unbeliever He sees their sin.

You said, quote, "If one thinks themselves "Saved" while here on Earth, and is "perfect forever", is this person somehow more than human while here on Earth?" End quote.

"Because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy." (Hebrews 10:14) When Jesus died on the cross, He saved us forever. Jesus offered one sacrifice for sin forever. If I ever lost your salvation, in order for me to be saved again, Jesus would have to die again. By ONE offering He has perfected forever those who were sanctified.

You said, quote, "Does this person rise above their human nature and become impervious to sin? If so, please identify such a person now living who is impervious to sin and incapable of the commission of sin." End quote.

Why do you ask such foolish questions? No person on this earth is impervious to sin. While we are in these fleshly bodies we will ALL sin, the saved and those perishing. The difference? The sins of the saved are forgiven and forgotten by our heavenaly Father. The sins of those perishing are not forgiven will lead to their damnation and an eternal life spent separated from God in hell.
Do you understand?

You said, quote, "RE: Christ interceding for us:
Christ is God; is He not the "end point" for the prayers? He intercedes to Himself? If this IS possible, how do you reconcile your (presumed here) belief that intercessory prayer (to Mary, the Saints, et. al.) is wrong/ineffectual/unbiblical/w hatever?" End quote.

First, there are no intercessory prayers to a dead mary. Second, apparently you have never heard of the Trinity. Was God made flesh and lived among us and His name was called Jesus? There are many verses that describes Jesus praying to His Father in heaven while Jesus was here on earth in a fleshly body just like yours and mine. The difference? Jesus never sinned and he accomplished this as a man not as a god.
Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#439396 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
People with drinking and gambling problems put money in the plate at your place. Not sure what you'd prescribe here.
If Jesus made water into wine to keep a wedding reception going and serve wine at His going away dinner, then it's OK for me to have a drink.
As for my smoking, it makes me look cool, of course.
I think I'll have two tonight, maybe three if the wife joins me.
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#439397 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to think the fellowship and fundraising events are about the Beer and getting drunk. I guess if that's the case, then you'd have a point.
But just like you guys and your finger pointing towards our faith practices, you bear false witness. Even if we tell you what we are doing at these events, you're going to ignore it and tell us
what we are really doing anyway.

You gotta justify your leaving of the Catholic Church, right? Then you have no choice but to bear false witness and trash Immaculate Conception Church.
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#439398 May 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I'll have two tonight, maybe three if the wife joins me.
You'll be having allot more next week if the lake is covered in ice. lol
Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#439399 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
We have events at our church as well. I guess I'd have to say the difference is we don't charge for anything. Food, games, etc..and we don't serve booze or have gambling. We don't want to be a stumbling block for those who may have a drinking or ganbling problem.
Jesus didn't have a problem being an alcohol "pusher" in Cana. You probably should have been there to set Him straight.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439400 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
If He dwells in me, He tolerates anything my physical body takes in or suffers, yes?
I'm sure you know the harm of cigarettes, so you are purposely harming your body kmowing full well the Holy Spirit dwells? Interesting.....
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#439401 May 10, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
You said, quote, "This doesn't make sense, JG. Outside of having made up the word "predestinated", Rogers' commentary here leaves some questions." End quote.
Actually it is OldJG. And yes it makes perfect sense to believers but to those perishing it will make no sense.
You said, quote, "If you cannot separate yourself from Gods' love, then you are stating that sin (and by extension Hell) does not exist?" End quote.
Who is "you" in your statement? Certainly not a born again believer. A born again believer CANNOT separate themselves from God's love which is life eternal with Him. Why would they want to?
Sin (and by extension hell)? Sin is the highway by which unbelievers travel to hell but is not hell itself. Hell is a place and sin is an action. Do you see the difference?
The difference between an unbeliever and a believer is the sins of the believer are covered by the blood of Jesus and are forgiven and forgotten. When God looks at a born again believer He sees His Son, Jesus Christ. When God looks at an unbeliever He sees their sin.
You said, quote, "If one thinks themselves "Saved" while here on Earth, and is "perfect forever", is this person somehow more than human while here on Earth?" End quote.
"Because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy." (Hebrews 10:14) When Jesus died on the cross, He saved us forever. Jesus offered one sacrifice for sin forever. If I ever lost your salvation, in order for me to be saved again, Jesus would have to die again. By ONE offering He has perfected forever those who were sanctified.
You said, quote, "Does this person rise above their human nature and become impervious to sin? If so, please identify such a person now living who is impervious to sin and incapable of the commission of sin." End quote.
Why do you ask such foolish questions? No person on this earth is impervious to sin. While we are in these fleshly bodies we will ALL sin, the saved and those perishing. The difference? The sins of the saved are forgiven and forgotten by our heavenaly Father. The sins of those perishing are not forgiven will lead to their damnation and an eternal life spent separated from God in hell.
Do you understand?
You said, quote, "RE: Christ interceding for us:
Christ is God; is He not the "end point" for the prayers? He intercedes to Himself? If this IS possible, how do you reconcile your (presumed here) belief that intercessory prayer (to Mary, the Saints, et. al.) is wrong/ineffectual/unbiblical/w hatever?" End quote.
First, there are no intercessory prayers to a dead mary. Second, apparently you have never heard of the Trinity. Was God made flesh and lived among us and His name was called Jesus? There are many verses that describes Jesus praying to His Father in heaven while Jesus was here on earth in a fleshly body just like yours and mine. The difference? Jesus never sinned and he accomplished this as a man not as a god.
Hi oldG, take a break from trashing the Mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ and answer this question.
You're an authority on Sacred Scripture, right?

What are the consequences if you OSAS subscribers do not confess your sins? Do you still get to go to Heaven?
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#439402 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Regina, I put a snake in a girls bed at camp one year.
She was picking on a girl who was of a different colour and race.
The Young girl spent the better part of 2 weeks at camp where she should have had fun trying to avoid the nasty bigot.
The night I put the snake in her bed I punched her lights out.
The girl had nerve enough to complain to the camp dean, that I treated her very bad and did bad things to her.
Forgetting the treatment that she had inflicted on the girl she abused herself.
That is what you do Regina, so here is a snake down your back.
believe me I would bring the biggest snake I could find.
Go back to the other form you are on and spread your nasty remarks,
and please don't say your a christian again or I will bring some of the comments back here.
Your as nasty as June not much different oh yes you were both raise in the catholic religion.
I though I recognized that religious pagan spirit, in you both.
Threatening physical violence now??

You're a vindictive, emotionally unstable creature, Elaine. Get help.(Sounds like you've been dipping in the strychnine, too.)

Since: Sep 09

Canada

#439403 May 10, 2013
Theologians earned their keep by creating stories, most often about sin. So it follows that they wrote more and more stories about what "types" of sins "god" found most and least offensive.

Finally there were so many supposed sins that offended "god," in some cases people believed they were such horrible sinners, that there was no hope of salvation, so they committed suicide to get it over with and let the devil have his due.

Some therapists advised people for their own good, to stay away from religious "excitement."

I agree with those therapists.

Theologians with their schemes and their fear-filled nonsensical dogmas never were up to any good.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439404 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
No I said people who do have drinking and gambling problems can go to the catholic festivals. Catholics will take their money.
The Bible says the the christian's body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Why do you fill it with cigarettes and booze?
Quick story here, if you'll allow.

There's this Australian guy born with no extremities (Nick something) who goes around to various churches and speaks. My wife caught wind that he was going to be in town, so we went to hear him at this church that holds services at a local high school. Enjoyed the presentation.

I was curious about the church, so I went online to find out about it. It was some outreach offshoot of a larger United Methodist Church in town. I went to the UMC website, again curious about their beliefs.

They thought as you expressed, that the body was a temple, et. al. and their "what we believe" section noted specific admonition against smoking and drinking. Don't do it. Black letter. Respective to abortion, no such admonition nor concern for the temple (two temples, actually-the one of the woman and the one of the unborn child). They were comfortable with the adherent following their own conscience with the help of their physician.

I don't wish to nor am I willing to entertain any abortion discussion here-there are forums for that elsewhere on Topix. My point in mentioning it is the dissonance of the message. Theoretically, a member of UMC will remain in "good graces" as long as they don't stop at the bar and have a smoke on the way to or from the abortion clinic.

I'm not inferring that you are UMC nor that you share their specific beliefs as noted above. My point is that one should see the forest for the trees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 min Seentheotherside 609,826
Looking for a male friend? 17 min Ivan 2
Poll Do misspelling and bad grammar bother you? (Dec '07) 22 min Joe 16
Why Won't The Government Help Against Select Po... (Aug '12) 23 min Swamp Fox 240
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 28 min RADEKT 270,118
Israel End is Near 37 min Someone 29
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 51 min Freebird USA 817,581
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 97,987
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 hr bad bob 176,207
More from around the web