Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 685462 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#439520 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"You said, quote, "If one thinks themselves "Saved" while here on Earth, and is "perfect forever", is this person somehow more than human while here on Earth?" End quote.
"Because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy." (Hebrews 10:14) When Jesus died on the cross, He saved us forever. Jesus offered one sacrifice for sin forever. If I ever lost your salvation, in order for me to be saved again, Jesus would have to die again. By ONE offering He has perfected forever those who were sanctified."
Your response is a restatement of your original premise. Again, If one is "made perfect" while on Earth, they are no longer subject to the foibles of their human nature and would be impervious to sin.
Either they are "made perfect" or they are not. Someone who is "perfect" cannot sin.
Sounds like the qualifiers that you think exist are obstacles.

Obstacles that one's Self can overcome through the right choice.

Just like choosing to be Catholic or not.

Why do you reject the concept Jesus expresses through "Self"?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#439521 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is God
No - Jesus is part of "God" - as we all are.

BTW - Jesus never called himself "God", so why should you?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#439522 May 10, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>probably about the same as your church does and it's just as phony.the more i read about the catholic church the less divine it becomes,tell me if the church has nothing to do with the pagan religion how come there are pagan statues all around Vatican city? inside buildings and outside?
You should stick to reading Dr. Seuss books. They've got colorful pictures, big letters and the stories are so real.
truth

Perth, Australia

#439523 May 10, 2013
i told you they can hear
as well contact us who ever they are
they are much stronger intelect..
now
they not going kill me no
if they do
i will be long time ago dead..
because of that
you are wrong as well very scare tell anything

i am as i am as Creator created me..as many too..
now

why he stay on table
what they done to him
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439524 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
On reflection, He wasn't enabling them to sin anymore than He enabled the adultress in John 8 to sin. He told her, "go and sin no more". He didn't make her partner in adultery vanish. She was left to conduct her life as to avoid sin.
Jesus didn't rid the world of temptations.
Right...so why we He give intoxicating wine to people if drunkeness is a sin?

Would Jesus be tempting them....absolutely
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439525 May 10, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
No - Jesus is part of "God" - as we all are.
BTW - Jesus never called himself "God", so why should you?
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Ok..so you know the context I'll help you.

Word = Jesus...so everytime you see WORD, substitute Jesus.

Ok kids, back up your stuff your parents will be here soon.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#439526 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Tony but your church may not charge but when I was at Immaculate Conception, they did. Maybe not today but they have in the past. Not every catholic church is the same like you want to believe.
i made a few phone calls and an e-mail to people i know who are catholic,and charging a fee was not mentioned per-say but a donation was hinted at by the priest,some churches put a collection box right near the confessional,a little guilt trip going on if you ask me,so people put whatever into the box.
Michael

Canada

#439527 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
If Jesus produced intoxication wine He would be enabling the ones at the wedding to sin.
Luke 17:17 Jesus said to his disciples:“Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come. 2 It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble. 3 So watch yourselves.
**Jesus said Himself, do not tempt people to sin. How much clearer can it be Dan?
**There is no way the wine at Cana was intoxicating because Jesus would be contradicting what He said to His disciples.
Its a made up story, why argue over it?

The abuse of alcohol has ruined more lives then anything else in our world.

truth

Perth, Australia

#439528 May 10, 2013
you are wrong

light door become open its automatic go out
yes sleep
no its not sleep

grey dress see no hair on top but around ear yes..
why on table
why me that i can see or hear..

now
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#439529 May 10, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
I just skimmed through it but mostly right.
Oh, thank the Lord!
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439530 May 10, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting question.
I wonder if there is some sort of purification process that takes place after death where the souls of the faithful who die in the friendship of the Lord are brought to perfection? Since nothing unclean can enter Heaven, there must be.
My guess is, there is no lord or lord god.

As history proved and proves to this day ... all imaginary deities served (with supposed love) only their own human creators.

Observe the bickering on this forum about who is right and who is wrong and you will see that theologies stem from all shapes and forms of images.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439531 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes
and Christ would not do that. That is why it is hard for me to believe the wine at Cana was the same intoxicating wine of today...no way.
Yet, He did do as it says He did. It was the "good stuff", not juice.

"the steward of the feast called the bridegroom and said to him, "Every man serves the good wine first; and when men have drunk freely, then the poor wine; but you have kept the good wine until now." (John 2:7-10)

He also partook of wine.

This places the author of your piece and those of like mind in a curious position of ascribing fault or error to Christ.

This stance would also bar Christ from the ministry in many protestant churches.
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439533 May 10, 2013
Michael wrote:
If Jesus died because he was a rebel rouser, charged with blasphemy and treason, what does that have to do with this man dying for our sins?
If everyone in Jerusulem loved this man as the bible claims, and he miraclized thousands of people including bringing dead people back to life why did not any of them show up at the crucifixion to support him if a tiny crowd determined his fate?
..... Why were the 12 apostles in hiding in fear for their lives during the crucifixion, then 3 days later they are all out and about preaching to the very people they were hiding in fear from just days before?
........this whole story makes no common sense.
They don't care about their theologies making sense.

That's why the theologians found it so easy to entice the followers into individual cults, where they could indoctrinate the followers into the belief that the gods wanted humans to kill each other.
truth

Perth, Australia

#439534 May 10, 2013
no i don't drink..

grey dress white face yes nice and clean..no i am not liar..as well no hair on top..but around ear..smile cheek but small mouth..

its let me see

is that problem for you because they are read as you can read now..

Is someone have bigger intellect..please tell me..why you jealous?
or

i have to go from this place..
Michael

Canada

#439535 May 10, 2013
Up until the 1960s the roman catholic churches position was that the jews killed this man Jesus. Thats like a group of people sitting on death row their entire lives and then the authorities determined they didn't do anything wrong.

UNBELIEVABLE!

If you really believe Jesus died for your sins and his only way to attain that was to piss people off so badly the religious and government officials wanted him dead, is not the work of any good God..........makes no common sense.

Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#439537 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Right...so why we He give intoxicating wine to people if drunkeness is a sin?
Would Jesus be tempting them....absolutely
Your friends say you're wrong.

"A second, related argument is that by creating alcoholic wine, Jesus would have been promoting drunkenness, which the Bible clear identifies as sinful. This is not a valid argument. Was Jesus promoting gluttony when He multiplied the fishes and loaves far beyond what the people needed? Of course not. Creating a substance that can be abused does not make one responsible when another person foolishly chooses to abuse it. Jesus creating alcoholic wine was in no sense encouraging drunkenness.

The belief that Jesus created alcoholic wine is definitely more in agreement with the context and the definition/usage of oinos. The primary reasons for interpreting it as grape juice, that alcohol is inherently sinful or that the creation of alcohol would have been encouraging drunkenness, are unbiblical and invalid. There is simply no good biblical reason to understand John 2 as anything other than Jesus performing an amazing miracle by turning water into real wine. Is drunkenness sinful? Absolutely! Is addiction sinful? Definitely. Would Jesus turning the water into alcoholic wine in any way violate God's standards regarding the consumption of alcohol? Absolutely not!"

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-water-wine....
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439538 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
If Jesus produced intoxication wine He would be enabling the ones at the wedding to sin.
Luke 17:17 Jesus said to his disciples:“Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come. 2 It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble. 3 So watch yourselves.
**Jesus said Himself, do not tempt people to sin. How much clearer can it be Dan?
**There is no way the wine at Cana was intoxicating because Jesus would be contradicting what He said to His disciples.
Scripture says it was wine. Real wine.

To wit:

Jesus said to [the servants], "Fill the jars with water." And they filled them up to the brim. He said to them, "Now draw some out, and take it to the steward of the feast." So they took it. When the steward of the feast tasted the water now become wine, and did not know where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), the steward of the feast called the bridegroom and said to him, "Every man serves the good wine first; and when men have drunk freely, then the poor wine; but you have kept the good wine until now." (John 2:7-10)

Perhaps the temperance folks are working a bit too hard here.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#439539 May 10, 2013
here is an interesting story i just found,it about joining the episcopal church with the catholic church.US Episcopal parish to join Catholic Church
Published June 06, 2011
Associated Press.A Maryland Episcopal parish will be the first in the United States to join the Roman Catholic Church under a new streamlined conversion process created by Pope Benedict XVI, leaders of both church groups said Monday.
St. Luke's Episcopal parish in Bladensburg will come under the care of Washington Catholic Cardinal Donald Wuerl, who is forming a U.S. ordinariate — effectively a national diocese — for Episcopalians converting under the pope's plan.
Washington Episcopal Bishop John Chane, a leading liberal in his denomination, said Monday that he approved St. Luke's decision and will allow the congregation to continue worshipping in their church under a lease with an option to buy the building.
Pope Benedict XVI in 2009 issued an unprecedented invitation for Anglicans to become Catholic while retaining some Anglican liturgical heritage. Anglicans worldwide have been on the brink of schism over how to interpret what the Bible says about gay relationships, ordaining women and other issues. Critics accused the pope of poaching converts, but the Vatican said Benedict was only responding to requests from Anglicans.
The 2-million-member Episcopal Church, the U.S. body of the Anglican Communion, caused an uproar in 2003 by consecrating the first openly gay Episcopal bishop, V. Gene Robinson of New Hampshire. Episcopal conservatives responded by creating an alternative fellowship, the Anglican Church in North America, which says it includes about 1,000 congregations in the United States and Canada.

now the funny part: St. Luke's decision and will allow the congregation to continue worshipping in their church under a "lease with an option to buy" the building....they will remain in THEIR church but they must lease or buy it from the catholic church?? how greedy and rediculous.why should the episcopal church have to buy/lease their own building just for joining the catholic church?? it is just me or is that kind of odd?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439540 May 10, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>i made a few phone calls and an e-mail to people i know who are catholic,and charging a fee was not mentioned per-say but a donation was hinted at by the priest,some churches put a collection box right near the confessional,a little guilt trip going on if you ask me,so people put whatever into the box.
Are you sure you didn't call and e-mail Episcopalians?

You seem to have difficulty keeping them straight.
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439541 May 10, 2013
A History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.

In order to expiate their sins and above all the sins of the world, itinerant lay groups traversed the countryside under the direction of a “master.” On arrival in a city, the procession—sometimes as large as several thousand people—made its way to the cathedral, chanting hymns and forming several circles. While sighing, crying, the penitents called upon God, Christ and the Virgin, and began to flagellate themselves with such violence that their bodies became a swollen mass of bruised flesh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 16 min Alt right lies ne... 24,639
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Aerobatty 985,584
News Gov. Abbott suggests 'bathroom bill' is likely ... 3 hr e williams 3
Sarah George 5 hr Rememberboys 1
News GOP not interested in health care for us 5 hr discocrisco 1
OVERWHELMED...by God's blessings 7 hr Doctor REALITY 12
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 hr Jake999 619,749
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 7 hr Doctor REALITY 32
More from around the web