Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 670211 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439434 May 10, 2013
There are no professional or amateur theologians.

All preachers that use words to suit their own desires are on the same level.

They are certain they know the meanings of words.

The bible is a fool's paradise.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439435 May 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd bet? lol. Kind of presumptuous for teetotalers like you to condemn Catholics because you can't quite figure out how OT verses condeming drunkenness and those approving moderate drinking can co-exist. All that's left is for you make absurd accusations against Christ because you can't wrap your brain around the fact that your sect has it wrong.
We just went through Matt. 11:18. Jesus drank alcoholic wine. 1%, 2%, 9%...whatever. It contained alcohol, alcohol that people could get drunk on if they drank too much. The bible condemns drunkenness, not drinking. I've been going to our spring festivals for years. They serve 3.2% beer. People don't get drunk. They don't become obnoxious. There are no shennanigans happening as a result of the beer drinking, which is the reason drunkenness is condemned in the bible.
Jesus DRANK ALCOHOL. Cana, Matt. 11:18 and the Last Supper confirm it. Deal with it.
Boy..you and Clay are defensive today. You guys should be cool and calm like Dan.

And I'm use the alcohol content was not like today as it was in Cana.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439436 May 10, 2013
I believe that the story of Jesus was just another myth added to other myths ... but Jack had his own way of believing.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

Dr. Jack Kevorkian: physician and euthanasia activist; USA Today on 1996-JUL-30: "Had Christ died in my van, with people around him who loved him,[his death] would have been far more dignified."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/quotes2.htm

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439437 May 10, 2013
Dick Gregory: "If Christ was executed today, I bet Christians would wear little electric chairs around their necks."

Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#439438 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
These are not my words but I agree with them:
From one of the favorite websites of protestants here:

Question: "What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?"

Answer: Scripture has much to say regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4, 7, 14; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4; Isaiah 5:11, 22; 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12). However, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. In fact, some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs,“Drink your wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:1 encourages,“Yes, come buy wine and milk…”

What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol in excess to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

Jesus changed water into wine. It even seems that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. In that day, wine was fermented (containing alcohol), but not necessarily to the degree it is today. It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today. Again, Scripture does not forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. Alcohol is not, in and of itself, tainted by sin. It is drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that a Christian must absolutely refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12).

Alcohol, consumed in small quantities, is neither harmful nor addictive. In fact, some doctors advocate drinking small amounts of red wine for its health benefits, especially for the heart. Consumption of small quantities of alcohol is a matter of Christian freedom. Drunkenness and addiction are sin. However, due to the biblical concerns regarding alcohol and its effects, due to the easy temptation to consume alcohol in excess, and due to the possibility of causing offense and/or stumbling of others, it is often best for a Christian to abstain from drinking alcohol.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/sin-alcohol.html#...

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439439 May 10, 2013
Paul Manata: "Believers should not be afraid to wrestle with their doubts.... Struggling with your doubts will make your faith 'your own,' rather than something you inherit."

chuck

Dublin, OH

#439440 May 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd bet? lol. Kind of presumptuous for teetotalers like you to condemn Catholics because you can't quite figure out how OT verses condeming drunkenness and those approving moderate drinking can co-exist. All that's left is for you make absurd accusations against Christ because you can't wrap your brain around the fact that your sect has it wrong.
We just went through Matt. 11:18. Jesus drank alcoholic wine. 1%, 2%, 9%...whatever. It contained alcohol, alcohol that people could get drunk on if they drank too much. The bible condemns drunkenness, not drinking. I've been going to our spring festivals for years. They serve 3.2% beer. People don't get drunk. They don't become obnoxious. There are no shennanigans happening as a result of the beer drinking, which is the reason drunkenness is condemned in the bible.
Jesus DRANK ALCOHOL. Cana, Matt. 11:18 and the Last Supper confirm it. Deal with it.
Of course you won't agree with this because it goes against what you believe but here goes:

The Greek word translated wine in chapter 2 of John's Gospel is the word oinos – a generic term that does not always refer to a fermented beverage. John D. Freeman has accurately written:

"Throughout ancient times the word was used to refer to fruit juices, primarily grape juice, without regard to whether or not it was fermented, or had turned to vinegar. Recipes for preparing various kinds of wines without fermentation have been preserved by writers of antiquity; and the common practice of boiling their wines, and also of largely diluting them, showed that the action of fermentation was not regarded by the ancients as essential to the existence of oinos. Many authorities agree that the Greek use of oinos included fresh grape juice."

Dan

Omaha, NE

#439441 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
These are not my words but I agree with them:
There is a sense in which God himself turns water into wine year after year in vineyards everywhere around the world. The rains fall from the heavens, the roots take in the moisture, the sunshine, and process the elements. Slowly comes the bloom on the branches, the grapes then form and ripen. In the miracle at Cana, Jesus simply sped up the process.
Fermentation, however, is something that comes about via decomposition. It makes no sense that Jesus would create something pure and at the peak of perfection and then drive it rapidly through the course of fermentation. It's true he could have done it, but why would he do such a thing? The miracle was meant to show the glory of Christ's person. Making what would have amounted to 120 gallons of a dangerous drug, while giving no restriction for its use, certainly isn't consistent with a manifestation of his magnificence. It makes no sense and runs counter to Christ's spotless integrity to purposely corrupt what was natural and healthy for a recreational mind-altering substance.
The concept itself defames the very character of Jesus and puts him in violation of the spirit, if not the letter of the law of God, which reads, "Woe to him who gives drink to his neighbors, pouring it from the wineskin till they are drunk, so that he can gaze on their naked bodies. You will be filled with shame instead of glory"
So,(and I know I've said this before), you, in conjunction with the author of this piece, seem comfortable with ascribing an error to Christ. Christ did something that the author here adjudges to be out of character for Him (as if the author knows the character of God)and (stupefyingly, here) in violation of His own law.

What correction would the author issue to Christ here, and upon who's authority?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439442 May 10, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfect in God's eye because he sees Jesus, being made holy because the Holy Spirit leads us to confess sin and grow in the Spirit.
One who is perfect would not sin./they would be incapable fo it and impervious to it.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#439443 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy..you and Clay are defensive today. You guys should be cool and calm like Dan.
And I'm use the alcohol content was not like today as it was in Cana.
You say (or agree with those who say) it's impossible for Jesus to have drunk wine, 0.001% or 50%, doesn't matter, because it would be contrary to God's Word. It's all or nothing chuck. I would suggest you moderate your stance to the biblical teaching that drunkenness is the issue, not alcohol.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439444 May 10, 2013
I was fortunate to have a father who had been raised as a Catholic but later in life believed in reincarnation ... and a mother who was Lutheran. It planted seeds of doubt in my child's mind that either of them had absolute answers to my many questions.

Had my father and mother been of the same faith, chances are I would have followed along in their footsteps being certain that they indeed knew that truth and nothing but the truth.

Now, no theologian can persuade me to believe "he" knows truth.

I was conditioned in childhood to question why, what, where and when ... and I still ask questions, knowing that asking questions is as close as I can get to knowing truth.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#439445 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you won't agree with this because it goes against what you believe but here goes:
The Greek word translated wine in chapter 2 of John's Gospel is the word oinos – a generic term that does not always refer to a fermented beverage. John D. Freeman has accurately written:
"Throughout ancient times the word was used to refer to fruit juices, primarily grape juice, without regard to whether or not it was fermented, or had turned to vinegar. Recipes for preparing various kinds of wines without fermentation have been preserved by writers of antiquity; and the common practice of boiling their wines, and also of largely diluting them, showed that the action of fermentation was not regarded by the ancients as essential to the existence of oinos. Many authorities agree that the Greek use of oinos included fresh grape juice."
Even your "gotquestions" people finally admit that Jesus and the ancients drank fermented wine. Time to give up this silly teetotaler notion.
truth

Perth, Australia

#439446 May 10, 2013
light.. beautiful light
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439447 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not whether you or I "agree" with it-the scriptures never call it "grape juice".

They call it "wine".

16 bazillion translations later, it's still "wine".

Who is John D. Freeman and who proclaimed him "accurate"?

Where I'm going on this is that this and the other piece you presented are labyrinthine post-mortems of scripture undertaken to justify a pre-drawn conclusion ("booze is bad", in this case) that simply ISN'T manifest in scripture.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#439448 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
More from your freinds at " gotquestions.org "

Throughout the passage, the Greek word translated "wine" is oinos, which was the common Greek word for normal wine, wine that was fermented/alcoholic. The Greek word for the wine Jesus created is the same word for the wine the wedding feast ran out of. The Greek word for the wine Jesus created is also the same word that is used in Ephesians 5:18, "...do not get drunk on wine..." Obviously, getting drunk from drinking wine requires the presence of alcohol. Everything, from the context of a wedding feast, to the usage of oinos in 1st century Greek literature (in the New Testament and outside the New Testament), argues for the wine that Jesus created to be normal, ordinary wine, containing alcohol. There is simply no solid historical, cultural, exegetical, contextual, or lexical reason to understand it to have been grape juice.

Those who oppose the drinking of alcohol, in any quantity, argue that Jesus would not have turned the water into wine, as He would have been promoting the consumption of a substance that is tainted by sin. In this understanding, alcohol itself is inherently sinful, and consumption of alcohol in any quantity is sin. That is not a biblical understanding, however. Some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs,“Drink your wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:1 encourages,“Yes, come buy wine and milk…” From these and other Scriptures, it is clear that alcohol itself is not inherently sinful. Rather, it is the abuse of alcohol, drunkenness and/or addiction, that is sinful (Ephesians 5:18; Proverbs 23:29-35; 1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Therefore, it would not have been a sin for Jesus to create a drink that contained alcohol.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-water-wine....

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439449 May 10, 2013
Those who believe they know truth don't ask questions. They just preach and preach ... in hopes that others will listen and follow their LINES of thought.

Vanity is theirs. It runs through their veins, pumping adrenalin in the attitudes that they own life-giving energy.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#439450 May 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The only way it would have made any difference posting the whole verse would have been if he said, "wait...ignore my last sentence, I'm now saying DON'T confess your sins to one another..."
Go to bed jethro, and get something to drink with the crow you're eating.
The big difference is it would of proved my point that only jesus can absolve you of your sins,man can not,you show me a passage in the scriptures where it clearly states a MAN can absolve you of a sin without confessing that sin to Jesus. James and timothy both say you MUST confess your sin to Jesus,show me i'm wrong.you should be able to find your answer in the O.T. if it exists.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#439451 May 10, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
This is BS, Jethro. I don't know what this is and don't care.
You stated that there was a "church fee" for partaking of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (confession). Now.....where is the link to an approved Church source that states one pays such a "fee"???? If you don't come up with one in the next few minutes, I expect a full apology for this and every other lie you've ever told about the Catholic Church.
it's right there in front of you,not my fault you choose to close your eyes to it.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439452 May 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Even your "gotquestions" people finally admit that Jesus and the ancients drank fermented wine. Time to give up this silly teetotaler notion.
No He didn't

and I find it intersting that you use a website that you do not adhere to, to support your beliefs.

I guess I'm different because you wouldn't find me using catholic answers to support mine.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439453 May 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
More from your freinds at " gotquestions.org "
Throughout the passage, the Greek word translated "wine" is oinos, which was the common Greek word for normal wine, wine that was fermented/alcoholic. The Greek word for the wine Jesus created is the same word for the wine the wedding feast ran out of. The Greek word for the wine Jesus created is also the same word that is used in Ephesians 5:18, "...do not get drunk on wine..." Obviously, getting drunk from drinking wine requires the presence of alcohol. Everything, from the context of a wedding feast, to the usage of oinos in 1st century Greek literature (in the New Testament and outside the New Testament), argues for the wine that Jesus created to be normal, ordinary wine, containing alcohol. There is simply no solid historical, cultural, exegetical, contextual, or lexical reason to understand it to have been grape juice.
Those who oppose the drinking of alcohol, in any quantity, argue that Jesus would not have turned the water into wine, as He would have been promoting the consumption of a substance that is tainted by sin. In this understanding, alcohol itself is inherently sinful, and consumption of alcohol in any quantity is sin. That is not a biblical understanding, however. Some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs,“Drink your wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:1 encourages,“Yes, come buy wine and milk…” From these and other Scriptures, it is clear that alcohol itself is not inherently sinful. Rather, it is the abuse of alcohol, drunkenness and/or addiction, that is sinful (Ephesians 5:18; Proverbs 23:29-35; 1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Therefore, it would not have been a sin for Jesus to create a drink that contained alcohol.
Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-water-wine....
Tony...go back to all my posts and show me where I said drinking alcohol is a sin...I never have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Rider on the Storm 99,850
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 9 min bad bob 184,265
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 55 min Rider on the Storm 980,047
the new gay skype 1 hr thedarkone40 3
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr ChromiuMan 6,135
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Evanka Dump 286,442
Wife is gonna experience another man Sunday. 11 hr The Guy 1
More from around the web