Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 683740 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439417 May 10, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Threatening physical violence now??
You're a vindictive, emotionally unstable creature, Elaine. Get help.(Sounds like you've been dipping in the strychnine, too.)
Never threated physical abuse to you, the chance I would ever met you is nil I hope.
I was 11 when that happened.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439418 May 10, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Every religion past and present has the same method of operation. Instill fear into the believers, telling them that if they don't believe bad things will happen.
Just check out the posts by the faithful on this forum.
FEAR, GUILT, CONTROL, MONEY......and it works!!
Preachers are fond of their own preaching. It's what makes their life worth-while.

They grab a supposed holy book, take words out to suit their own reflected emotions back to them ... and then they preach.

It's all based on arrogance ... but hey ... it gives them one high after another.

Religion thrives on "DOPE-a-mean."

:)
marge

Leesburg, GA

#439419 May 10, 2013
Dan, here's the exact wording of that verse;

For by that one offering He forever made perfect those who are being made holy.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439420 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure it was not the alcohol of today or even alcohol at all. If it was Tony, Jesus would be going against God's Word wouldn't He?
Habakkuk 2:15 “Woe to him who makes his neighbors drink— you pour out your wrath and make them drunk, in order to gaze at their nakedness!
**Notice the text doesn't talk about the one drinking but who gave it to them. So I'd bet the wine at Cana wasn't like the wine you serve at church.
"the alcohol of today"?

Alcohol is alcohol.

The wine at Cana was called "wine". The wine at the Last Supper was called "wine".

We don't worship Habakkuk, even if he did ban alcohol (which he doesn't in the line you run out-he admonishes drunkenness) I'd be inclined to follow Christ's example without checking Him against one line of Habakkuk.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439421 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
How bout the KJV to understand the text..
15 Woe unto him that GIVETH his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!
"puttest they bottle" "makest him drunken".

Any more translations (in more or less florid prose than this) that you want to show me where it says "make them drink" or are we done?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439422 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is God
June and Mike spend hours and hours on a public forum debating about something they don't believe exists....who does this????
Obsessives or fanatics.

Or Canadians.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439423 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I know full well that I am mortal and I will die. The Holy Spirit knows this as well.
Again, Jesus Himself partook of wine.
Smoking is not a sin, nor is drinking.
Dan..you're 50, you're young, I'm sure you have young ones at home who want you around for a long time...don't smoke
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439424 May 10, 2013
marge wrote:
Dan, here's the exact wording of that verse;
For by that one offering He forever made perfect those who are being made holy.
I guess my point is that you aren't made perfect until you die.

One cannot be "made perfect" while remaining human, unless the premise is that the person is no longer subject to the foibles of their human nature. OldJG says they still sin, do even he doesn't really believe it.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439425 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"puttest they bottle" "makest him drunken".
Any more translations (in more or less florid prose than this) that you want to show me where it says "make them drink" or are we done?
We disagree on the context...I think it's clear.

I guess we're done.
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439426 May 10, 2013
My guess is, Christian theologians hated other Christian theologians more than they hated Muslim and Hindu theologians, etc.

They probably looked at those in foreign religions with a certain degree of pity for being lead by the devil and not walking in the path of righteousness as the real Christians were certain to follow.

But other denominations of the Christian religion were looked upon as trying to steal the thunder of the REAL truth from all the other Christian theologians who preached that Christian truth was theirs and theirs alone.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439427 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan..you're 50, you're young, I'm sure you have young ones at home who want you around for a long time...don't smoke
Thanks for the concern. I DO appreciate it.

I have relatives that dropped dead jogging in their 40's and relatives who smoked, drank and lived to 95.

When it's my time, it's my time.
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439428 May 10, 2013
It was not by chance that the pope of the era hated Martin Luther with excessive passion and wanted him dead.

Luther and his equally cruel thugs were the biggest threat to that pope EVER, and the pope knew that his days of having complete control over Christianity were numbered.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439429 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"the alcohol of today"?
Alcohol is alcohol.
The wine at Cana was called "wine". The wine at the Last Supper was called "wine".
We don't worship Habakkuk, even if he did ban alcohol (which he doesn't in the line you run out-he admonishes drunkenness) I'd be inclined to follow Christ's example without checking Him against one line of Habakkuk.
These are not my words but I agree with them:

There is a sense in which God himself turns water into wine year after year in vineyards everywhere around the world. The rains fall from the heavens, the roots take in the moisture, the sunshine, and process the elements. Slowly comes the bloom on the branches, the grapes then form and ripen. In the miracle at Cana, Jesus simply sped up the process.

Fermentation, however, is something that comes about via decomposition. It makes no sense that Jesus would create something pure and at the peak of perfection and then drive it rapidly through the course of fermentation. It's true he could have done it, but why would he do such a thing? The miracle was meant to show the glory of Christ's person. Making what would have amounted to 120 gallons of a dangerous drug, while giving no restriction for its use, certainly isn't consistent with a manifestation of his magnificence. It makes no sense and runs counter to Christ's spotless integrity to purposely corrupt what was natural and healthy for a recreational mind-altering substance.

The concept itself defames the very character of Jesus and puts him in violation of the spirit, if not the letter of the law of God, which reads, "Woe to him who gives drink to his neighbors, pouring it from the wineskin till they are drunk, so that he can gaze on their naked bodies. You will be filled with shame instead of glory"
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#439430 May 10, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure it was not the alcohol of today or even alcohol at all. If it was Tony, Jesus would be going against God's Word wouldn't He?
Habakkuk 2:15 “Woe to him who makes his neighbors drink— you pour out your wrath and make them drunk, in order to gaze at their nakedness!
**Notice the text doesn't talk about the one drinking but who gave it to them. So I'd bet the wine at Cana wasn't like the wine you serve at church.
You'd bet? lol. Kind of presumptuous for teetotalers like you to condemn Catholics because you can't quite figure out how OT verses condeming drunkenness and those approving moderate drinking can co-exist. All that's left is for you make absurd accusations against Christ because you can't wrap your brain around the fact that your sect has it wrong.

We just went through Matt. 11:18. Jesus drank alcoholic wine. 1%, 2%, 9%...whatever. It contained alcohol, alcohol that people could get drunk on if they drank too much. The bible condemns drunkenness, not drinking. I've been going to our spring festivals for years. They serve 3.2% beer. People don't get drunk. They don't become obnoxious. There are no shennanigans happening as a result of the beer drinking, which is the reason drunkenness is condemned in the bible.

Jesus DRANK ALCOHOL. Cana, Matt. 11:18 and the Last Supper confirm it. Deal with it.
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439431 May 10, 2013
A History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.

Nicholas of Cusa was the last important theologian-philosopher of the one and undivided Roman Church. Fifty years after his death, in 1517, Martin Luther published his famous Ninety-five Theses; several years later, the unity of Western Christianity was irremediably lost.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#439432 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess my point is that you aren't made perfect until you die.
One cannot be "made perfect" while remaining human, unless the premise is that the person is no longer subject to the foibles of their human nature. OldJG says they still sin, do even he doesn't really believe it.
Perfect in God's eye because he sees Jesus, being made holy because the Holy Spirit leads us to confess sin and grow in the Spirit.
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439433 May 10, 2013
My guess is, had Martin Luther not wanted to marry his "beloved," he would not have found his own reflection in the scriptures to preach at others that "god" wanted members of the clergy to marry.

The big-boy theologians all knew how to find words in the bible that played along with their own emotional whims.

And nothing has changed for the better.
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439434 May 10, 2013
There are no professional or amateur theologians.

All preachers that use words to suit their own desires are on the same level.

They are certain they know the meanings of words.

The bible is a fool's paradise.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439435 May 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd bet? lol. Kind of presumptuous for teetotalers like you to condemn Catholics because you can't quite figure out how OT verses condeming drunkenness and those approving moderate drinking can co-exist. All that's left is for you make absurd accusations against Christ because you can't wrap your brain around the fact that your sect has it wrong.
We just went through Matt. 11:18. Jesus drank alcoholic wine. 1%, 2%, 9%...whatever. It contained alcohol, alcohol that people could get drunk on if they drank too much. The bible condemns drunkenness, not drinking. I've been going to our spring festivals for years. They serve 3.2% beer. People don't get drunk. They don't become obnoxious. There are no shennanigans happening as a result of the beer drinking, which is the reason drunkenness is condemned in the bible.
Jesus DRANK ALCOHOL. Cana, Matt. 11:18 and the Last Supper confirm it. Deal with it.
Boy..you and Clay are defensive today. You guys should be cool and calm like Dan.

And I'm use the alcohol content was not like today as it was in Cana.
June VanDerMark

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#439436 May 10, 2013
I believe that the story of Jesus was just another myth added to other myths ... but Jack had his own way of believing.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

Dr. Jack Kevorkian: physician and euthanasia activist; USA Today on 1996-JUL-30: "Had Christ died in my van, with people around him who loved him,[his death] would have been far more dignified."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/quotes2.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min River Tam 15,985
Looking for girls to snapchat 36 min aldenmorgan737 1
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr Tony 6,415
So how exactly did O.J. Simpson pull off a doub... 2 hr Remember 94 95 13
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr David S Pumpkins 286,522
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr Aerobatty 983,116
I'm very saddened by Kryie wanting away from Le... 4 hr Doctor REALITY 2
More from around the web