Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 685932 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#439152 May 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Jethro, weather is beautiful missed the Smelt season however, water was to high and to fast lots of flooding.
You are correct Jethro, if I go to a person and say to them I did something wrong to so and so would you please forgive me. You would naturally tell me to go to the person I wronged and tell them (confess) and ask them for forgiveness.
When I kneel in prayer to God and ask Him to forgive me my sins of the day which I know I have committed and even the ones I don't know about is something else.
Only God can forgive me, the lady at the well Jesus told her to go and sin no more.
He didn't tell her to go and do penance, or give Him money so He would forgive her.
Catholic's go to a priest (a sinner! all men are sinners) confess their sins to be told pay penance to Mary (NOT TO GOD MIND YOU TO MARY) THEN CHARGE THEM FOR SAYING YOU ARE FORGIVEN.
Even a priest can't forgive us for the wrongs we have done to another person only the person we wronged can. Because we have hurt the priest.
The catholic logic there is none it makes no sense, like Judge Judy says if it don't make sense its not true.
You have a better understand of the Bible then they do.
Even though you are still questioning if there is a God.
HOW ARE YOU DOING JETHRO, WERE YOU ABLE TO GET YOUR DOG BACK FROM YOUR EX G.F. I HOPE YOUR HEALTH IS GOOD, I WAS SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU WERE CANCER FREE. TAKE CARE JETHRO
No one says that the priest FORGIVES the sin. God does this.

Please do try to keep up-I've explained that distinction two or three times.

Don't look to your fellow protestants for information on the Catholic faith. Just go to a Catholic source. Otherwise you're asking your dog what your cat thinks.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439153 May 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
CORRECTION
Because we haven't hurt the priest.
.....which missed the essential on this, as the priest doesn't forgive the sin. God forgives the sin.

The priest, with Christ's authority from Matt. 16:19, absolves the penitent from the penalty. That's what absolution means.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#439154 May 9, 2013
Second part...first follows:Mat 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his discipleS, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
Mat 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: FOR FLESH AND BLOOD HAS NOT REVEALED IT UNTO YOU, BUT MY FATHER WHICH IS IN HEAVEN.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter (PETROS...A PIECE OF ROCK), and upon this rock (PETRA...A MASS OF ROCK) I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Mat 28:16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed THEM.
Mat 28:17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto THEM, saying, All power is given unto ME in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I AM WITH YOU ALWAY, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

He commissioned ALL of the eleven, and Mark tells us that:

Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mar 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Mar 16:20 And THEY went forth, and preached every where, THE LORD WORKING WITH THEM, AND CONFIRMING THE WORD WITH SIGNS following. Amen.

1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone (JESUS) disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
1Pe 2:5 YOU ALSO, AS LIVELY STONES, are built up a spiritual house (CHURCH), an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone (JESUS), elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
1Pe 2:9 But YOU are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

#439155 May 9, 2013
KayMarie Part One...

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with ALL spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
Eph 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
Eph. 1:7 In whom we have redemption THROUGH HIS BLOOD, THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS, according to the riches of his grace;
Eph 1:8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even IN HIM:
Eph 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
Eph 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
Eph 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
Eph 1:16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
Eph 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
Eph 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and SET HIM at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Eph 1:21 FAR ABOVE ALL PRINCIPALITY, AND POWER, AND MIGHT, AND DOMIION, AND *EVERY NAME* THAT IS NAMED, NOT ONLY IN THIS WORLD, BUT ALSO IN THAT WHICH IS TO COME;
Eph 1:22 And hath put ALL things under HIS feet, and GAVE HIM to be the head over ALL things TO THE CHURCH,
Eph 1:23 Which is HIS body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Continued...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439156 May 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
To imply that Jehovah needed a new testament, is to imply that he didn't know the whole story concerning the future of the Jews.
It also implies that Catholics were needed to extend on the story and take it off in a new direction away from Judaism.
Catholics tried to steal the one and only god from over the head of the Jews and make over the god in their own image.
That behavior wasn't at all nice, but then theologians were notorious for not being nice.
I'm not sure the exercise was undertaken with a base assumption that God "needed" something.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#439157 May 9, 2013
The serial killer known as the "son of Sam" or David Berkowitz claimed that the devil ordered him to kill all those people.

Some people would say that David couldn't believe that unless he was mentally ill.

Yet, all the popes ordered the killing of supposed heretics and witches claiming they received that information through the words in the same bible.

There was only one difference between the mindsets of David Berkowitz and the popes. David believed the devil was commanding him to kill ... and the popes believed the HOLY GOD commanded them to kill.

David believed the evil came from the devil through him to order the killing sprees ... and the popes believed that the holy god came through them to order the killing sprees.

It seems that David was more sane than were the popes.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439158 May 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Imagine if all the energy used by right-fighters about whose religion is on the mark of truth and whose is wrong was put to good use, how much better the world would be.
I keep trying to tell you religions are not going to save people.
I do not care what religious denomination a person is sitting in. "RELIGIONS DO NOT SAVE"

JESUS SAVES!! ONLY JESUS
'WE ARE SAVED BY GOD'S GRACE, THROUGH FAITH NOT OF WORKS LEST ANY MAN SHALL BOOST.
JESUS DID THE WORKS ON THE CROSS FOR US ALL, OUR FAITH IN THE SON OF GOD TO ACCOMPLISH WHAT HE SAID HE WOULD DO AND DID.
WITHOUT FAITH YOU CAN NOT PLEASE GOD.
ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, YOU ARE IN BONDAGE TO A RELIGIOUS SYSTEM OF FEAR, RULES AND PAGAN BELIEFS.
ALL THAT YOU FEAR AND ANTI-CHRISTIAN MUMBO JUMBO YOU HAVE POSTED ON HERE IS FROM MANS EVIL BLACK HEARTS NOT FROM GOD.

VICTORY IN JESUS MY SAVIOR FOREVER,
HE WASHED ME AND HE BOUGHT ME WITH HIS REDEEMING BLOOD,
NE'ER I KNEW HIM BUT ALL MY LOVE IS DUE HIM
AS HE PLUNGED ME TO VICTORY BENEATH HIS CLEANSING BLOOD.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#439159 May 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Jethro, weather is beautiful missed the Smelt season however, water was to high and to fast lots of flooding.
You are correct Jethro, if I go to a person and say to them I did something wrong to so and so would you please forgive me. You would naturally tell me to go to the person I wronged and tell them (confess) and ask them for forgiveness.
When I kneel in prayer to God and ask Him to forgive me my sins of the day which I know I have committed and even the ones I don't know about is something else.
Only God can forgive me, the lady at the well Jesus told her to go and sin no more.
He didn't tell her to go and do penance, or give Him money so He would forgive her.
Catholic's go to a priest (a sinner! all men are sinners) confess their sins to be told pay penance to Mary (NOT TO GOD MIND YOU TO MARY) THEN CHARGE THEM FOR SAYING YOU ARE FORGIVEN.
Even a priest can't forgive us for the wrongs we have done to another person only the person we wronged can. Because we have hurt the priest.
The catholic logic there is none it makes no sense, like Judge Judy says if it don't make sense its not true.
You have a better understand of the Bible then they do.
Even though you are still questioning if there is a God.
HOW ARE YOU DOING JETHRO, WERE YOU ABLE TO GET YOUR DOG BACK FROM YOUR EX G.F. I HOPE YOUR HEALTH IS GOOD, I WAS SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU WERE CANCER FREE. TAKE CARE JETHRO
Add "lying about Catholics and the Catholic Church" to the list of sins you confess to God tonight LTM.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439160 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
No one says that the priest FORGIVES the sin. God does this.
Please do try to keep up-I've explained that distinction two or three times.
Don't look to your fellow protestants for information on the Catholic faith. Just go to a Catholic source. Otherwise you're asking your dog what your cat thinks.
Geezz...still on this. You make it sound so innocent Dan

I'll post this from Catholic Answers to put a different spin on confession to a priest.

Is the Catholic who confesses his sins to a priest any better off than the non-Catholic who confesses directly to God? Yes. First, he seeks forgiveness the way Christ intended. Second, by confessing to a priest, the Catholic learns a lesson in humility, which is avoided when one confesses only through private prayer. Third, the Catholic receives sacramental graces the non-Catholic doesn’t get; through the sacrament of penance sins are forgiven and graces are obtained. Fourth, the Catholic is assured that his sins are forgiven; he does not have to rely on a subjective "feeling." Lastly, the Catholic can also obtain sound advice on avoiding sin in the future.

**My favorite is receiving sacramental graces....that is huge!!!

#439161 May 9, 2013
who="Dan"
.....which missed the essential on this, as the priest doesn't forgive the sin. God forgives the sin.
The priest, with Christ's authority from Matt. 16:19, absolves the penitent from the penalty. That's what absolution means.

How do you know that the sin is forgiven? How can a priest remove the penalty? God establishes the penalty...what man can remove that...especially without knowing for certain that the sin is forgiven?

Better let God mind His business. The least of us can declare the scripture that "the wages of sin is death," but NONE of us has power to change that.

KayMarie
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439162 May 9, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Second part...first follows:Mat 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his discipleS, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
Mat 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: FOR FLESH AND BLOOD HAS NOT REVEALED IT UNTO YOU, BUT MY FATHER WHICH IS IN HEAVEN.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter (PETROS...A PIECE OF ROCK), and upon this rock (PETRA...A MASS OF ROCK) I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mat 28:16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed THEM.
Mat 28:17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto THEM, saying, All power is given unto ME in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I AM WITH YOU ALWAY, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
He commissioned ALL of the eleven, and Mark tells us that:
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mar 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Mar 16:20 And THEY went forth, and preached every where, THE LORD WORKING WITH THEM, AND CONFIRMING THE WORD WITH SIGNS following. Amen.
1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone (JESUS) disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
1Pe 2:5 YOU ALSO, AS LIVELY STONES, are built up a spiritual house (CHURCH), an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone (JESUS), elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
1Pe 2:9 But YOU are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
You repeated Matt. 16 and then provide Mark 16 and Matt. 28, all which reinforce the effect of Christ's commission and the authority conferred to the Apostles.

RE: Matthew 28:20-

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS (emphasis yours), even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Again, I believe that your sect believes that Christ's conferral of His authority "expired" at the death of the last Apostle. Casting aside for the moment the obvious issues this presents respective to ministerial authority, this belief seems in direct contradiction to Christ's promise.

How do you reconcile this?
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439163 May 9, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll post this from Catholic Answers to put a different spin on confession to a priest.
Is the Catholic who confesses his sins to a priest any better off than the non-Catholic who confesses directly to God? Yes. First, he seeks forgiveness the way Christ intended. Second, by confessing to a priest, the Catholic learns a lesson in humility, which is avoided when one confesses only through private prayer. Third, the Catholic receives sacramental graces the non-Catholic doesn’t get; through the sacrament of penance sins are forgiven and graces are obtained. Fourth, the Catholic is assured that his sins are forgiven; he does not have to rely on a subjective "feeling." Lastly, the Catholic can also obtain sound advice on avoiding sin in the future.
Can you imagine guys like Paul, Timothy, Barnabas, Stephen and on and on.... confessing directly to God. Wow....they missed out on alot.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439164 May 9, 2013
who="Dan"
How do you know that the sin is forgiven? How can a priest remove the penalty? God establishes the penalty...what man can remove that...especially without knowing for certain that the sin is forgiven?
Better let God mind His business. The least of us can declare the scripture that "the wages of sin is death," but NONE of us has power to change that.
KayMarie
?

The penitent has confessed his sin and prayed an act of contrition.

The Christian believes that God hears this prayer and forgives the sin.

The priest can remove the penalty because Christ has taught us that he can indeed do this. Again, Matt. 16:19 instructs this.

What odd questions, KM. Are you a Christian?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439165 May 9, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't make it sound like anything nefarious.

This is what Catholics believe.

Your issue with this is.......what?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439166 May 9, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you imagine guys like Paul, Timothy, Barnabas, Stephen and on and on.... confessing directly to God. Wow....they missed out on alot.
chuck-

Again, believe as you wish, but to do so you must affirm some alternate theology than that held by Christendom until the Reformation.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439167 May 9, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I mentioned all this yesterday, chuck.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439168 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd be best served not using the Bible (a Christian construct) to glean the intricacies of the Jewish faith.
They don't use it.
It's like using the Catholic Catechism to dissect the Koran.
"makes no sense".
------ WHAT----- MOSES A JEW WROTE THE FIRST FIVE BOOKS OF THE BIBLE. JESUS TALKING TO JEWS REFERRED TO THE HOLY SCRIPTURE IN THE O.T. MANY TIMES.
JEWS READ THE HOLY SCRIPTURES IN THE SYNAGOGUES DAILY.
Like in the days when Jesus walked the earth, there are Jews for Christ, and there are Jews against Christ.
Just like non Jews.
You go into any synagogue and they will be reading from the Holy Scriptures, About Abraham, Moses, Jacob, King David, etc.
The N.T. was written by Jews, Peter, Paul, Matthew, Mark, and John,
Luke was a Greek.
They all knew their God, and who their savior was I suggest you read the bible so you will learn too.
SALVATION IS FROM THE JEWS NOT THE CATHOLIC'S.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439169 May 9, 2013
who="Dan"
KayMarie
AMEN KAYMARIE,
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439170 May 9, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow indeed.

You sitting in judgment of "guys" like Paul, Timothy, Barnabas, Stephen and on and on.

Their belief and practice requires your review and correction. Even Timothy, whose writing produced the one line used by protestants to construct their whole theology, doesn't pass muster. Tough crowd.

History indicates that they didn't "miss out" on much. They are Saints in Heaven.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439171 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I mentioned all this yesterday, chuck.
To say that a true born again christian does not have the same benefits as a catholic because a catholic confesses sin to a priest is an absolute lie from the pit of Hell.

Do you really believe this Dan....really?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Gabriel 985,758
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 48 min Doctor Trump 27,079
Why are so many black people so FAT? (Jul '09) 2 hr juliakk 230
Black women hate White men? (Feb '11) 2 hr juliakk 67
make money online. free. easy to start. no cred... (Sep '15) 2 hr juliakk 9
Leftists libs DONT KNOW their own history 4 hr Wake Up 2
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 5 hr Johnny 69
More from around the web