Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 559,633
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Nov 08

usa

#438810 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Jesus was right in front of the tax collector. Ditto for the thief.
James writes after the Resurrection.
Numbers 5: which you quoted buttresses, rather than refutes, Catholic belief and practice. Confession is a public act (you walk into the confessional publicly) and you seek forgiveness for transgressions against Him and your neighbor, restoring your relationship with both.
the problem here is you believe what the catholic church teaches,and it is meaningless,there is nothing in the scriptures that gives credence to anything in the catechism of the church.the church without question is of pagan/christian origin. Jesus would not build a church of that nature.would he? of course not,and would he place it in a country that conquered his people and killed and tortured them,and stole their riches?they even stole a christian church and converted it to a catholic church with no divine authority. you belong to a church of thieves and perverts,as i repeat myself.their own history verifies MY BELIEFS.

usa

#438811 May 8, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that Catholics don't confess sins to God? Catholics know that God is there with them in the confessional and hears the confession and forgives the sin. The confession is to God in the presence of the priest.
You know: "where 2 or more are gathered in my name, there I am in their midst"?
how do you know? does god speak to you? how else would you know,the only person hearing your sin is the priest in the other closet,you can't prove other wise.show me in scripture that god is with you in the confessional?

usa

#438812 May 8, 2013
gotta go,may be back or i'll see you in the morning.have a good night people

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#438813 May 8, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>man needs hobbies the lack of them caused wars to pass the time,i see no other reason for them,and your wrong as to why i like you,i like the fact you are honest in your posts no matter if i agree or not,there are a few people on here that i admire for their stand on their beliefs that do not agree with mine,but we get along fine,there is no comfort zone feeling here,i just like your style of dealing with people when they condemn your beliefs,you stay cool under fire.
Thank you. I accept your explanation.

I don't make "friends" on forums ... because I want to be true to only my own ways of perceiving ... and as my history proves, since I came on the forum, I changed from being under the spell of theological dogmas, to getting out from under their spells, to in turn do my own thinking. And I don't believe I am any the worse off for it.

Prince George, Canada

#438814 May 8, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics know that God is there with them in the confessional and hears the confession and forgives the sin.
They don't know that. They just believe it.

The idea that Jesus' Jewish father is trapped by Catholic theologians in Catholic confessionals brings quite a picture to my mind.

The rabbis in the synagogues must be worried sick, wondering what on earth happened to the god that used to only favor them.

:)

Prince George, Canada

#438815 May 8, 2013
justforCatholics.org

The Catechism of the Catholic Church admits that private confession first came on the scene in the seventh century:

“Over the centuries the concrete form in which the Church has exercised this power received from the Lord has varied considerably. During the first centuries the reconciliation of Christians who had committed particularly grave sins after their Baptism (for example, idolatry, murder, or adultery) was tied to a very rigorous discipline, according to which penitents had to do public penance for their sins, often for years, before receiving reconciliation. To this ‘order of penitents’(which concerned only certain grave sins), one was only rarely admitted and in certain regions only once in a lifetime. During the seventh century Irish missionaries, inspired by the Eastern monastic tradition, took to continental Europe the ‘private’ practice of penance, which does not require public and prolonged completion of penitential works before reconciliation with the Church. From that time on, the sacrament has been performed in secret between penitent and priest. This new practice envisioned the possibility of repetition and so opened the way to a regular frequenting of this sacrament. It allowed the forgiveness of grave sins and venial sins to be integrated into one sacramental celebration. In its main lines this is the form of penance that the Church has practiced down to our day”(Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 1447).

Prince George, Canada

#438816 May 8, 2013
And so this is why the priest was bound to the seal of the confession when he protected a guilty man while another man rotted in prison for a murder he did not commit.

It's quite the system. No wonder the members used it to try to find some relief for the crimes they committed again and again and again.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#438817 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
One died in her crib and one died from suicide.
Sorry to hear that. Not sure how someone could accuse you of murder.
marge

Ames, IA

#438818 May 8, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>you confessed to both your partner and to Jesus/god? or just to your partner?
Yes both, and the healing came through Jesus not the minister to be clear.

Prince George, Canada

#438819 May 8, 2013
If I harm my neighbor I believe I owe my neighbor a direct apology.

I believe it would be an insult to my neighbor to go to church and beg forgiveness from an outside source.

Even if all that nonsense of begging forgiveness from a god was true ... I wouldn't want an intermediary doing what I should be doing.

Asking forgiveness for those to whom I caused harm is MY job, and I've done it many times all on my own.

Prince George, Canada

#438820 May 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to hear that. Not sure how someone could accuse you of murder.
Thank you. She was furious at me for daring to go where she did not want me to go ... which was to debate the value or lack thereof of her religious beliefs.

Prince George, Canada

#438821 May 8, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes both, and the healing came through Jesus not the minister to be clear.
I suggest you stop using the fictional Jesus as your disinfectant.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#438822 May 8, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>i did as you will see if you read my post.quite a few different versions,which one is the correct one.
They all say confess to one another....something you said couldn't be true.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#438823 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
And so this is why the priest was bound to the seal of the confession when he protected a guilty man while another man rotted in prison for a murder he did not commit.
It's quite the system. No wonder the members used it to try to find some relief for the crimes they committed again and again and again.
Waiting for the link June.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438824 May 8, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>the problem here is you believe what the catholic church teaches,and it is meaningless,there is nothing in the scriptures that gives credence to anything in the catechism of the church.the church without question is of pagan/christian origin. Jesus would not build a church of that nature.would he? of course not,and would he place it in a country that conquered his people and killed and tortured them,and stole their riches?they even stole a christian church and converted it to a catholic church with no divine authority. you belong to a church of thieves and perverts,as i repeat myself.their own history verifies MY BELIEFS.
So far, you've simply issued broad proclamations that scripture doesn't support Catholic doctrine.

When supplied with the scripture that informs a particular doctrine, your response is to disagree and then repeat the broad proclamation made previously.

Bravo, I guess. Way to make an argument.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438825 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
justforCatholics.org
The Catechism of the Catholic Church admits that private confession first came on the scene in the seventh century:
“Over the centuries the concrete form in which the Church has exercised this power received from the Lord has varied considerably. During the first centuries the reconciliation of Christians who had committed particularly grave sins after their Baptism (for example, idolatry, murder, or adultery) was tied to a very rigorous discipline, according to which penitents had to do public penance for their sins, often for years, before receiving reconciliation. To this ‘order of penitents’(which concerned only certain grave sins), one was only rarely admitted and in certain regions only once in a lifetime. During the seventh century Irish missionaries, inspired by the Eastern monastic tradition, took to continental Europe the ‘private’ practice of penance, which does not require public and prolonged completion of penitential works before reconciliation with the Church. From that time on, the sacrament has been performed in secret between penitent and priest. This new practice envisioned the possibility of repetition and so opened the way to a regular frequenting of this sacrament. It allowed the forgiveness of grave sins and venial sins to be integrated into one sacramental celebration. In its main lines this is the form of penance that the Church has practiced down to our day”(Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 1447).
Fascinating, but the subject being discussed was auricular confession itself, not whether it was private or not.
youtube

AOL

#438826 May 8, 2013

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______

Dan

Omaha, NE

#438827 May 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
They all say confess to one another....something you said couldn't be true.
....and something that he insists (still) isn't in scripture.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438828 May 8, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
gotta go,may be back or i'll see you in the morning.have a good night people
Thanks for the warning.

Prince George, Canada

#438829 May 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Waiting for the link June.
The opinions were mine, I am your link.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Dally Mama 775,618
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min Rick in Kansas 265,185
21 Dead Babies Found on Riverbank in China (Mar '10) 12 min McGold 661
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 52 min preteen girl 605,045
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 57 min Chris Clearwater 175,684
Pastor Rod Parsley’s Father Dies at Age 80 (Jul '13) 1 hr Joyce 7
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr MUQ1 37,819
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr duststorm 441,786
More from around the web